Flower by Kenzo (2000)

Flower by Kenzo by Kenzo
Bottle Design: Serge Mansau

Flower by Kenzo is a perfume by Kenzo for women and was released in 2000. The scent is floral-powdery. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesGinger, Lychee, Mandarin, Violet
Heart Notes Heart NotesCamellia, Mimosa, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Patchouli, Vanilla, Frankincense, White musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 09.05.2019

9.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Everyday companion.
Despite the cooler season, it was like Flower by Kenzo to me today. For me, the fragrance actually belongs rather in warm, spring-like weather, I generally like to wear fragrances suitable to the climatic conditions. Nevertheless, I was as misguided as today after this fragrance, I had not worn it for so long, but I have it certainly already over 10 years as a firm component in my small wardrobe perfumery. But since new, try-on and wearable fragrances were often added, he was unfortunately not allowed to do enough in the last few months.
I associate with this fragrance good mood, early
Awakening of the year and sunshine.
Since I like to try myself in the fragrance process, since I find this important in each of my perfumes, (but unfortunately I am not a professional in individual notes), here is my perception of this Kenzo:
For me the fragrance starts sweet-fruity and only slightly floral. In the further course the fruity one retreats. The scent remains flowery-sweet-powdery-fresh, I smell more floral as well as vanilla I perceive. I find this fragrance very pleasant and unobtrusive, you don't need too much 2, at most 3 splashes are enough to perceive the fragrance for a long time. For me, this fragrance always works (preferably when the weather is better, more likely from spring). I wear it then in the job and the spare time, a beautiful "Immergeher".
7.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10

Urban flower
This scent so clean and discrete, lightly spicy, is like a flower grown in the grey concrete, a urban , unexpected flower giving a touch of red in the grey, as the packaging picture suggests.
Looking at the bottle , you think of a zen perfume: simple, clear, minimal with its slim silhouette .
The moment you spray it, a spicy-floery acchord arrives to your nose. You smell the ginger and the innocent violet , quite powdery and light, not so vibrant.
The flowery heart is only suggested and it isn't at all as in the ladylike perfumes.
In particular, on my skin the frankincense note , Smoky but cold remains on my skin with a powdery result, while I don't smell so much the other notes of the base acchord such as the patchouli and the vanilla.
The result is a pefect everyday scent to wear as a second skin or like a soft cotton shirt to smell good all day long. The longevity , in fact, is quite good although the sillage isn't so strong . A scent to feel you a floer in the city or at the job.
8.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10

Ghost Flower
I find the opening a bit sharp. A lot of violet emerges out while the rose gives a soft touch. At the drydown the vanilla smoothens it into a comforting body scent. I find it indeed very powdery. And I detected some incense-like notes that tickle the nose and constantly reboost up the soft floral and vanilla, very interesting. The sillage is quite good and the longevity is around 7h on me.

I personally think the bottle is an excellent visual interpretation for the fragrance. It's floral, sensual, and incredibly clean. I especially love it in spring and autumn. I don't think it's a very seductive fragrance, otherwise it can fit numerous occasions with different amount of application. It's not bold, but still very distinctive. It surely has its uniqueness in the floral categories.

Originally written in 2013.
7.0 10.0 9.0 6.5/10

Bcars10
An ageless perfume with a modern twist
Kenzo Flower definitely shares some of its DNA with Prince Matchabelli's Wind Song perfume. I haven't smelled that one in a very long time, but it used to be the only perfume my mother ever wore. Every day before she left for work, she would hug me goodbye, and then all day I would smell her on my clothes. Wind Song was potent and tenacious juice! And there is some component in Flower that strongly recalls these memories to my mind. I've tried comparing lists of notes, but I haven't narrowed it down yet. A couple of notes do overlap (mandarin, rose, amber, musk), but they don't stand out to me as possibilities. Mostly because the similar note feels spicy to my nose, in the way that carnation is a bit spicy. But neither perfume lists carnation!

I applied two sprays to the back of my neck/hair, one to my chest, and one on each arm. That was too much. My daughter commented from the stairwell, "Wow! Someone is quite aromatic this morning!" So spray accordingly. This stuff fills a room. It has been wafting around my person all day. It smells really good, but strong. Longevity seems to be about 6-8 hours. It lasts in clothing and hair longer than on skin, but I think that is pretty well true of most perfumes.

The top is a bit sharp, but it does not last long. The violet note dries down very powdery. I feel that the mimosa also renders this quite a bit more sweet-powdery than most people are willing to smell like. It's not quite a baby powder smell--it's a bit more sophisticated than that--but still, if you do not like powdery scents, best to steer clear of this one. I love powdery scents, but this one has a biting note that I can't quite place. I do like it, but it brings me to the very edge of headache territory.

This is an unusual perfume. It brings to mind perfumes from a by-gone era, but also it feels modern. I first smelled it on my husband's cousin in Germany in 2001, I believe it was. It's a very memorable scent because I still remember it today, 16 years later! I feel it is in the same vein as Wind Song (as noted above), Arpege, and L'air du Temps.

Bottle is tall and skinny, so if my perfume tray gets jostled, it wobbles. It seems a bit art deco for this scent. I picture more of a flacon from some time in the 1950's, but overall, it's okay.

Overall, I give it a 6.5. Good, but I likely won't reach for it often. It's probably best for evening wear.
7.5 7.5 5.0 4.0/10

Briarthorn
It started pleasntly enough...
It opens pleasantly with a very powdery violet. Not the usual violet because there is a strong mandarin zing with it.

As it warms up it gets sweet, probably from the opoponax and vanilla. I didn't think the strong mandarin and sweetness mixed very well for me. It actually reminded me a lot of the Miss Charming and Stella. Not because it's the same notes per se but because it had the same "vibe" with the sweet and zing.

It got a bit better on the drydown as the mandarin finally began to fade but I dislike the heart so much that I am going to have to put it on my dislike list.

Sillage was a little bigger than I like and it lasted about 5 hours.

If you like Miss Charming and Stella then you should try this one because you may like this one too. It has the same "feel".

Jun
2014
9.0/10

gorgeous sweet Flower
Divine, sweet, complicated and fresh.Flower has a sexy, sultry, seductive big sister, did you know? she comes in a red, satiny container and her name is Flower Parfum and she comes out to play after Flower has been tucked into bed and kissed to sleep. Where Flower flirts playfully with violet, iris and vanilla, Flower Parfum gets down and dirty with almond, marzipan, amber vanilla. Flower is fun to play with; Flower Parfum you could eat her all up.

sweet tart
An aldehydic, musky floral typically has an implicit sweetness. An interesting perfume will play against type and either downplay or compensate for the sweetness. Flower learned compensation and a sort of misdirection from White Linen, which it smells like, and Tommy girl, with which it shares a conceptual similarity.

White Linen’s trick is to redirect the composition’s sweetness with a peppery rose that doesn’t so much diminish the sweetness as steer it toward sweet/tart. From Tommy Girl, Flower learns the lesson of astringency. Sour, as opposed to bitter, is a hard effect to pull off in perfumery. In Flower, the sweet, powdery melon-like tone is highlighted by a slightly vinegary note just as actual melon would be by a splash of lemon juice.
7.5 10.0 7.5 3.0/10

Baby Powder Rubdown
Less Is more i love the design a single
Red flower stem verticly cuting though
the clear white bottle.
But I Didn't Care for the scent
it smell too much like baby power
it was to powdery on my skin
7.5 7.5 5.0/10

Flowder (flower powder)
When you first smell Flower by Kenzo you will most likely recognize the scent as something that you're familiar with because you have at least known one person that wears this fragrance.

This perfume is quite distinctive. It's not an overly unique or ground-breaking scent, rather it is a safe clean-smelling, powdery floral.

I'll be honest and say that I hated this fragrance when I first sprayed it. It was strong, bitter and not at all flowery and sweet like I'd imagined it to be.

It took some time for those top notes to disappear, but when they eventually did, I came to like this scent a little better. The violets are surprisingly the strongest and most dominant note throughout this composition, however they are powdery and slightly synthetic.

Overall, I don't mind the freshness and subtlety that Flower by Kenzo creates, but I'm really not crazy about this scent. To me it's just a common soapy/clean fragrance that hasn't pushed too many boundaries.

Not full bottle worthy
Wonderful opening of violet and rose. This is a well balanced perfume from beginning to end I could pick out the notes without a problem.
The middle notes occasionally smelled tangy to me!
This lasts a very long time! The base notes are very vanilla on me with a touch of musk. I might buy a 1.7oz but I would not buy a whole 3.5 oz, it would go bad before I finished it!
10.0 5.0/10

If pigs could fly...
It's been a while since I first reviewed Kenzo FLOWER, my memory of which is best summed up as : vanilla baby powder. I fortuitously received a fresh sample in the mail recently, and as I was attempting to understand Caron ROYAL BAIN DE CHAMPAGNE, it seemed an opportune time to take up FLOWER again.

The opening of FLOWER holds lots of promise for this lover of violets—whether from Parma or elsewhere! Upon initially dabbing the fragrance all over my arms and décolleté, I began to wonder whether my “vanilla baby powder” memory of FLOWER was really all wrong. Had I reviewed the perfume on a humid day, or irresponsibly allowed my blood caffeine content to dip to a dangerous low before brandishing my pen? Who knows? In those opening minutes, just enough time, coincidentally enough, to make the big sell at counters all over the world, this perfume seems like some sort of dream come true, a rich floriental with seductive appeal, clearly comprising top-notch notes which wax and wane in a lilting, lyrical way.

Alas, the drydown commences shortly thereafter, during which everything flattens out and begins to smell progressively more synthetic until, at last, I recall why my memory of FLOWER as “vanilla baby powder” was right all along. Certainly not a bad perfume, but rather blunt and banal in the final analysis, when all is said and sniffed. Rather like a marriage which may endure for years in a stagnant state after an initially exciting but short-lived romance.

Would poppies smell like vanilla baby powder, if they had a scent? Sure, why not? (if pigs could fly)

Jazzy76 15 months ago
clean, a little spicy but discrete. It's the perfect every day scent+1

Am Muttertag dürfen es auch mal Blümchen sein ;)
by Flanker
by Gandix
by Gandix
by ElenaN
by ElenaN
by DundG
KENZO Flower in the front accompanied by Pupa Air De Fio 1 and 2 in the back.
by Jasmine87
by Echtdufte
by MariellaMmmh
by MariellaMmmh

Popular Kenzo

Flower by Kenzo by Kenzo Kenzo Amour by Kenzo Kenzo Jungle / Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo Kenzo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Kenzo Power (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Kenzo Amour Le Parfum by Kenzo Jungle pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Kenzo Amour Indian Holi by Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo Le Parfum by Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo pour Femme by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo L'Elixir by Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo Eau Indigo pour Femme by Kenzo Jeu d'Amour (Eau de Parfum) by Kenzo Parfum d'Été (Eau de Parfum) by Kenzo Kenzo Homme (Eau de Toilette Boisée) by Kenzo Kenzo Homme Night by Kenzo Ça Sent Beau / Kenzo (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Flower in the Air (Eau de Parfum) by Kenzo Kenzo World (Eau de Parfum) by Kenzo