Kenzo Homme 2016Eau de Parfum

Kenzo Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Kenzo
Kenzo Homme (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Kenzo for men and was released in 2016. The scent is fresh-aquatic. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Sandalwood, Marine notes, Citrus notes, Spices, Cardamom, Mint, Vetiver, Cedar, Vanilla

Submitted by Michael, last update on 04.08.2020.

Elysium
The Power Of The Ocean, Really?
I happened to blindly buy Kenzo Homme EDP online since I found it at a rather ridiculous price. Being a fan of Kenzo perfumes, I thought I could be safe by placing a blind order without ever having smelled the scent. If there is anyone among you who has lived in the early nineties as I did, I was in my late twenties, surely remember the outbreak of classic Kenzo Pour Homme. Not to be confused with Kenzo Homme EDT recent release, of course. It was an early pioneer in the aquatic and woody world, the one with tenacious notes of watery green flowers, still very distant from Bvlgari Aqua which the notes are more like salt and seaweed. At that time, in all the gay clubs in vogue, the smell lingered and could be recognized instantly, so different from all other opulent and concentrated aromas of the moment. And this is not to say that the cologne was just for gay people, damn not, but that was the scent preferred by gay men as extravagant and provocative.

And so I got it. Firstly, according to the commercial video, an immense dark blue ocean with huge waves is mainly shown for describing the sense of freedom. Still, I don't get the all too aquatic accord out of this perfume, at least not the one I was expecting from it. Instead, Homme EDP unfolds with a blast of citrus notes blended with a minty nuance that joins smoothly and then explodes. The citrus fruit aroma is tangy but sweet, plenty of lime and lemon, and the mentholated and balsamic accord blends well with it, resembling a bit the Ricola Lemon Mint drops. Just listening to the introduction, my mind quickly made an association with Paco Rabanne creations, namely Invictus and all of its flanker and spin-off elements. Miserably, nothing, by any means, reminds me of Kenzo pour Homme classic. I mean, if I were to smell Homme EDP for the first time as I am doing right now, I could never imagine what beauty was hiding behind Pour Homme EDT. Don't get me wrong, I fancy Homme EDP, but I'm just expressing a bit of disappointment since I was expecting something different, and certainly something that does not remind me of Invictus, which I am not fond of. More, It has been compared to Invictus which Kenzo Homme EDP does share some in common with, but both are different fragrances.

The duo composed of citrus and mint takes a long time to calm down, with nuances liken the lemon-minty verbena. the sense of freshness lasts about a quarter of an hour before the aromatic sage comes into action. The candies smell never fades away, but just moves in the background. At this point, I'm sitting here, in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by an aura of aromatic and spicy accords, still waiting for an explosive marine heart to reveal itself. Allegedly, Homme EDP was inspired by the power of the ocean. Miserably, that oceanic sense of freedom doesn't seem to reveal itself to me.

The sugariness goes on but loses the vigour on its way to the base a couple of hours later. On the long run, I feel more the luscious vanilla note that well blendes with fresh citrus head and woody base notes. If you are anything like me, you should catch the mild facet of the ambroxan, not mentioned in the roster. I mean, looking at the base notes, such as vetiver, cedar, sandalwood and vanilla, and don't see anyone responsible for the resulting sugariness, but ambroxan, which is the new normal. However, are there any of you who notice something in common with Versace's Eros Flame or JPG's Le Male Eau Fraiche as for concerns the sweetness? Maybe it's more than just a suspect, given that the perfumers Nathalie Gracia-Cetto and Oliver Pescheux are also the creators of those fragrances.

I think sillage is weak for an EDP, and the whole perfume soon becomes a skin scent, but what rests, in the end, brings a fresh feel. Overall this is a mild sweet scent, strong only in the beginning. To tell you the truth, after wearing this fragrance for several times, I can say with great certainty that it is indeed a longevous fragrance, that has resulted in many compliments and questions about what I am wearing. I admit I was sceptical about this fragrance at first given the unexpected vibe, but it is indeed a solid fragrance that is sure to impress. The scent suits the warm seasons, Spring and Summer days sound right to me, either you rock it in leisure or at work, it is not that strong to offend anyone.

Everyone should now be warned that Homme EDP is not a different concentration of the original Pour Homme, but a new creation on its own. I blindly bought this fragrance expecting it to be an EDP version of the vintage and well-known Kenzo Pour Homme, and I was let down in this regard, as it is an entirely different fragrance. Perhaps, this has caused a lot of people to harshly and hastily judge this fragrance. However, despite everything, it's not a wicked fragrance, in fact, it's quite significant for me.

Stay well; stay healthy.

-Elysium

Underestimated fragrance
In my opinion, despite what the majority of the audience says, this fragrance is a decent one with quite potent longevity and average sillage.
It is a different fragrance then the original Kenzo Homme EDT, yet a well blend between Vanilla and Citrus notes.
My advice: spray it also on clothes, it lasts even longer(10+h) and projects even better.

All in all:
Fragrance: 7.5/10
Longevity:8/10
Sillage: 7/10

DPArtistDPArtist 7 months ago
Reminds me of a mix of some modern crowd pleasing scents Invictus, Legend Spirit etc with some minty cool RL Polo Sport vibes? Interesting!
ElysiumElysium 9 months ago
It's inspired by the power of the ocean. Miserably, that oceanic sense of freedom doesn't seem to reveal itself to me. Just citrus and sweet
FirasmalanzyFirasmalanzy 3 years ago
I have a sample of this cologne nice cologne better than the homme sport version.

Popular Kenzo

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo Kenzo Amour Le Parfum by Kenzo Kenzo Jungle / Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo Kenzo Power (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo Le Parfum by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo L'Elixir by Kenzo Kenzo Amour Indian Holi by Kenzo Kenzo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Jungle pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Jungle Le Tigre by Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo Eau Indigo pour Femme by Kenzo Ça Sent Beau / Kenzo (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo 5:40 PM in Madagascar by Kenzo Jeu d'Amour L'Élixir by Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo Essentielle by Kenzo Ça Sent Beau / Kenzo (Eau de Parfum) by Kenzo Kenzo Homme (Eau de Toilette Boisée) by Kenzo Summer by Kenzo by Kenzo Kenzo Air (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo