Kenzo Power (2008) Eau de Toilette

Kenzo Power (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo
Bottle Design: Hara Ken’ya (原研哉)

Kenzo Power (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Kenzo for men and was released in 2008. The scent is floral-fresh. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Olivier Polge

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Cardamom, Coriander
Heart Notes Heart NotesFloral notes
Base Notes Base NotesLabdanum, Tolu balm, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 06.08.2019

9.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10

SchatzSucher
As smooth, clean and fresh as baby's bottom....
... and that's what I'm talking about!
Due to the many good reviews and the appealing fragrance pyramid, I made a blind purchase. The scent is hardly to be found in the relevant perfumeries.
And I was absolutely not disappointed.

My very first impression was "Ha, that's how a freshly bathed, creamed, powdered baby smells. So clean, so fresh, so innocently clean and tender"
And so Kenzo Power also starts for my sensation. Ok, I don't have a freshly bathed baby right now that I could sniff to see if the association is right, but that's Kenzo Babypo, um, Power, to me. Like a happy and contented baby, who is completely at peace with himself and the world. In the background I can hear this heart-refreshing gurgling baby laughter, when baby really feels good all around.

And a feel-good scent is Kenzo Power really.
Spices should appear in the top note. However, these have been used very sparingly, because he starts off with the soft floral-powdery note right away. Too many and too strong spices would have had a disturbing effect.
Resin, balsam and wood have also been used very sparingly in the base note; at most they act as a supporting framework so that the fragrance does not collapse too quickly.
I think the durability is quite good. An office day without overtime should be enough The scent veil is also present, even if it is not extremely expansive. But one is perceived.
The bottle is very successful, puristic, without frills, good sprayer. Unfortunately prone to fingerprints. And you can't see how much you've already used.

Be that as it may, anyone who likes it fresh and flowery, pure and clean like a baby's bottom is welcome here. You don't have to ask if it's a boy or a girl. Kenzo Power is suitable for both.
There is also no need to fear loud shouting, it remains cheerful, sweet, cheerful and not too loud all the time. I wore Kenzo Power again today, it fits very well to the still very summery weather. And I haven't smelled like baby in a long time :-)
6.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Agathe Bauer
Yesterday we tested the Kenzo Power.

Do you know these song lines, which you always hear differently than they actually are?

How snaps like "I've got the Power" from the 90's are always turned into "Agathe Bauer"?

Feel like a catchy tune, then read on.

That's the way it goes now here.
My expectations of a perfume which is also called Power and which I liked very much in the top note at the first test had increased accordingly.
Especially since I really appreciate Kenzo since I had the Kenzo Pour Homme in the 90's and also like the Amour in ladies very much.

-Agathe Bauer

The beginning was spicy fresh and I liked it very much, it was different and I thought for a while what it reminded me of, when the heart note started and I found myself in a sea full of flowers, I came across it, because that was still slightly hidden this note...

-Agathe Bauer

There were always these little purple violet dragées at the waist when I was little. They called themselves Haribo Viola. You can also google if you don't know what I mean now.
Exactly this taste/fragrance was permanently present, which was quite nice on the one hand, but on the other hand too long.

-Agathe Bauer

Although I use 4-5 sprays, I hardly noticed the scent after 3-4 hours, which is unfortunately a kickout criterion for me personally. I'm happy that others don't feel that way, because it always depends on the skin type.

-Agathe Bauer

He doesn't have much power, because he doesn't last long with me, very flowery and pleasant with just too long violet candy note.
I completely understand that he rightly has his fans, because he is different, for small money and longer durability with me I would have thought about it, so remains in the end only....

10.0 6.0 9.0 10.0/10

Elysium
Sweet dreams are made of this...
Who am I to disagree? Yes, what is underrated for someone could be overrated for someone else. KENZO Power deserves much more attention than it got so far. I used KP some years ago when it was released to the market and I found it gorgeous, in some manner I expected that feminine side that a lot of people did not like. To me, that floral aspect is the signature of this scent, its floral heart has a “coolness” and “freshness” about it.

Since I’ve just found a sample in my bathroom I decided to test it once more and write a review. Well, at the first shot I instantly got a green blast of aromatic, zesty and vanillic aroma of bergamot, the pungent lemon-like aroma of mashed coriander seeds, and the cool delicate breath freshener aroma of crushed green cardamom pods. Just to be sure, I bruised a green cardamom pod from the kitchen and the smell is released, which is like a mixture of menthol, camphor, a greenish eucalyptus, orange peel, and lemon, is very close to the KP opening. There’s sweetness, quickly eclipsed by bitter lemon rind-like taste... Yes, the opening smells like a cup of Earl Grey black tea where bergamot and cardamom are dominant.

After the citrusy and spicy opening, it comes the sharp floral accord created using jasmine, rose and freesia. To me, it smells a little like osmanthus, as the scent of happiness. It smells of warm, ripe apricots, good green tea with its floral notes and natural sweetness and soft leather. I got something powdery like the iris in Dior Homme, though there is no iris in there, or it is not mentioned.

I can detect faint vanilla-cedar and labdanum in the dry-down, with dominant tolu balsam, and they start making their presence known shortly thereafter. The tolu blends well with the spice and floral notes to create a creamy, white-smelling accord. I love it!

In my opinion, KP is a contemporary woody-oriental-floral fragrance. If you like fresh, sheer, lightly spicy, faintly floral fragrances, give KP a try. Don’t care what other people say, KP was made for men, but women won’t find the fragrance too masculine. I got a lot of compliments from women when I wore it. And, do I have to say I like KP’s heavy stainless steel container in the shape of a sake bottle? Yes, unusual as the juice inside.
KP projects magnificently and lasts more than 10 hours on me. My impression is a long-lasting déjà-vu of another flower for man colognes. It has hints of the victorious Dior Homme iris and the most recent Valentino Uomo dark chocolate accents. As far as I remember, KP has a long lifespan on fabric, where it develops differently than it does on skin.

My gut feeling is that you should refrain from wearing it in summer or hot weather, too much sweet and floral for that season, and... do not exaggerate if you wanna wear it in the office. This is good for special occasions. It is amazing when it is so cold and windy outside and you smell this... and of course not for all type of guys! I found KP rich enough to work as a cold-weather scent for autumn, and fresh enough to work in warm weather like spring, but I found that it's at its best in cool, moist weather. it absolutely gives me a feeling of warmness.

-Elysium

ColinM
Tolu flowers from outer space
Another example of a “potential niche sensation” in a “neglected mainstream bottle”. Give this an obscure hipster name, make 50 bottles per batch when you feel to and get rich (if not in money, in praise and hype). Jokes aside, Kenzo Power is an extremely interesting fragrance, surely one of the most creative ones by this brand, and most important, tremendously easy and enjoyable to wear regardless of any added value. Power is a really bright, white, talc-like powdery scent with a fantastic bergamot opening, a sort of gassy-spicy vibe and a really recognizable tolu balsam note, which brings it really close to that other tolu bomb – Escada Magnetism for Men. Both share that same exact sort of “creamy-powdery-medicinal Cola feel”, and while in Escada it was bolder and more predictably integrated in a YSL M7 kind of structure, Kenzo Power brilliantly and perfectly fits it in a completely different, almost opposite ambiance – a delicate, weightless, futuristic sort of abstract floral whiteness, which gets some “substance” and a sweet darker shade precisely thanks to this odd balmy feel coming and going, cleverly balanced by a subtle but persistent feel of aromatic zesty freshness (bergamot). The only far comparison that came to my mind at some point was some sort of translucent lab hologram of a grandnephew of Jaipur Homme and Escada Magnetism for Men – fresher than both. Quality-wise the blend smells synthetic in a really pleasant, creative way, somehow soothing and somehow aloof, the kind of synthetic which you quite never smelled before (who said syntethics don’t require as much talent and creativity than naturals?). The result is a really clean and bright scent with a ton of personality, some really charming and enigmatic shades, decidedly androgynous, creepy and comforting at the same time. Fantastic for summer days. Really well done.

8/10
7.5 2.5 7.5 7.0/10

Euphemisms in Perfumery
What are your expectations towards a fragrance that has “Power” as part of its name? Do you expect a sillage monster? A stinker? An overly complex and demanding perfume? Or even a sweet and pungent oriental with never ending longevity?

Kenzo Power is nothing like that – at least on first sight – and it takes some consideration to find out in how far this name could be justified.

Other than the fragrance pyramid indicates I could not detect much of a top note. To me, the fragrance's development consists of two parts: The “Abstract flower accord” is actually a dry dark animalic musk note with rosy and maybe woody aspects. As a background, there is another type of musks which provides a powdery, creamy and almost dry vanillic appeal. This second type is also present from the beginning but completely takes over after about two hours.

The first, animalic part can be described as reminiscent to Keiko Mecheris wonderful Musc, or simply one or the other traditional musk oils. The second part is more like white musk – something you find in a body butter, hand cream or other cosmetic products. I guess there are not many perfumes that bring together these two very different facets of musk.

However, both accords provide only faint whiffs of fragrance. Kenzo Power is so weakish that it will surround you with a kind of aura rather than a discernible scent. Being weak is actually the main characteristic of this “Power” fragrance.

So, is Kenzo Power a disappointment then? I would not say that. It just covers a very special niche – and people seem to like it. Just have a look at the column on the right side next to this review. I think many people feel comfortable with a musky scent experience they remember from soothing body creams. Who knows - it may have to do with early childhood experiences.

Diminishing the strength of this perfume towards near nothing is a rather intelligent move. It avoids users getting fed up soon with what is basically an everyday scent. And it helps Kenzo Power retain something like a secret. There are not so many perfumes that are considerably weaker than the average, but they are appreciated for just that: The Gendarmes line from USA, most of Cartier's Eaux, and a few Annick Goutals.

Kenzo Power is something you might want to wear whenever you are not in the mood for a regular perfume. People will not note it as such as it simply smells more or less like a typical hand cream.

So, what about the power of this weakling? There is but one reason that justifies the name: no matter how cautiously creamy-powdery musks are being used – not only do they have a powerful longevity, they also stick to the skin. Water and soap are of no use if you want to get rid of it. All you can do is wait or try to cover it with something else.

I am not sure if Kenzo Power has been discontinued but offers can still be found on the net. Look out for the silver flacon and do not confuse it with Kenzo Power Cologne which is a different perfume and comes in the transparent bottle. I think Kenzo Power is a good addition to a wardrobe full of sophisticated and eccentric perfumes – just for the difference of it.

Teadot
How does Kenzo wield POWER ?
"Speak softly, and carry a big stick." ...Theodore R. Roosevelt Jr.

Musky springtime florals sharpened gently by citrus, and sweetly spiced by cardamom...floating over a creamy soapy base -to produce a JONES CREAM SODA like effervescence on my nose. But as the title quote portends, POWER's floral-centric character speaks with delicate diction. Recommended ONLY for the guy with a big enough "stick" to pull this off !

Easily unisex. A solid spring/summer spirit lifter.
5.0 7.5 6.0/10

Powdery and floral masculine
I really admire Kenzo Power's subtlety. It's not what I expected, but in terms of a masculine fragrance that is both clean, creamy and somewhat dusty, Kenzo Power is impressive.

This fragrance could easily be unisex with its soft floral accords and powderiness. I detect what appears to be earthy iris and soapy freesia on a light, woodsy base. I'm quite attracted to the scent, even though it's not what I'd define as sexy.

I'm not sure how men perceive Kenzo Power. I get the feeling that they'd find it a little too feminine at times. For the sake of it being clean and refreshing it's very likable, however in regards to men that like the powerful, manly stuff, this probably wouldn't be their first choice.

The composition is not all that mind-blowing, yet I wouldn't call it boring. I like Kenzo Power but I'm not sure why. I think it would be nice to see how it wears on a man, but then again it wouldn't suit just anyone.

The longevity is rather good, but like you have probably gathered from this review and many others, the sillage is quite intimate and soft. I think this could work well all year round, in any season. I'll agree with Papi on Fragrantica, this fragrance does have "balls". It won't appeal to everyone but Kenzo Power is likely to be treasured by those that do fall in love with it.

Hermesh 3 years ago
Powdery-flowery, slightly tart freshness. Subtle spicy and pleasant (unobtrusive).+1
5.0
Apicius 4 years ago
This fragrance wears the name 'Power' because it has none.+2
2.5

Herzlichen Dank Euch allen :-)
by 008Pauline
by ivko
by Acamara
by Acamara

Popular Kenzo

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo by Kenzo Kenzo Jungle / Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo Kenzo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Kenzo Power (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Kenzo Amour Le Parfum by Kenzo Jungle pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Kenzo Amour Indian Holi by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo Le Parfum by Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo pour Femme by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo L'Elixir by Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo Eau Indigo pour Femme by Kenzo Jeu d'Amour (Eau de Parfum) by Kenzo Parfum d'Été (Eau de Parfum) by Kenzo Kenzo Homme Night by Kenzo Kenzo World (Eau de Parfum) by Kenzo Kenzo Homme (Eau de Toilette Boisée) by Kenzo Ça Sent Beau / Kenzo (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Madly Kenzo! (Eau de Parfum) by Kenzo