Kenzo Power 2008 Eau de Toilette

Kenzo Power (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo
Bottle Design Hara Ken’ya (原研哉)
Kenzo Power (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Kenzo for men and was released in 2008. The scent is floral-fresh. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Olivier Polge

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
CardamomCardamom
CorianderCoriander
Heart Notes Heart NotesFloral notesFloral notes
Base Notes Base NotesLabdanumLabdanum
Tolu balmTolu balm
CedarwoodCedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 27.10.2021.

The darling of spring
Since I like to watch Yotube videos around the world of fragrances on occasion, I always discover interesting fragrances that are also considered niche. Goes to you certainly also so. Some time ago I discovered the Power by Kenzo in the net. Thereupon quickly researched here in the forum, what makes the fragrance so and what reactions there are to it. Because of the comments and the scent pyramid I finally decided to buy Power. Expensive he is anyway not.

The flacon is already quite attractive. Cylindrical with chrome optics he acts cybermäßig and already suggests a certain freshness. I call him affectionately the "T1000", based on the Terminator series. The spray cap and the sprayer itself also look very valuable. The only drawback is, as for example also with the AHSEE of Chanel, that the Falkon is not transparent and thus the remaining fill level is not visible. That would have to be determined by the weight loss. But who weighs because already his flacons?

To the fragrance itself. Start he does fresh spicy, almost already effervescent. The effervescence is not tingly and sticky, but soft and round, conveys a certain kind of coolness. The top note here gives a feeling of fresh lemon iced tea. After a few minutes, floral notes quickly join in and literally embrace the basket of bergamot and cardamom. The iced tea slowly becomes sweeter and warms up a bit. However, at no time does it become pentrant. I honestly don't know what labdanum and tolu balsam smell like. I can say, however, that the components from the top and heart notes determine this fragrance, until the power (on my skin) after about 5-6 hours is no longer or hardly to smell.

The Kenzo Power fits perfectly to spring, when it is slowly getting warmer and the flowers develop their splendor. The birds chirp merrily, the soft smell of spring hangs in the air. It lifts the spirits mothballed by winter considerably. A very great fragrance in an equally beautiful bottle, whose blind purchase I definitely do not regret.

Kenzo Power EDT
I agree that it has a lovely refreshing Lemon Ice tea aroma with the Bergamot opening, but it's also blended with the coriander to give it a fruity nuance as well. The Cardamom is very prominent in this scent and punches through well. It really reminds me of Daniela Andrier's style. Very creamy, smooth and slightly powdery I think it's the rose and Jasmine floral that gives it a silky smoothness . It's closest to Prada amber to my nose about 75 % but has its own unique identity too. The labdanum is really earthy and sweet in this one perhaps blended with the vanillic Tolu balsam gives it a really rich sweet base. Dries to a lovely natural sweet resinous labdanum and floral soap.

I am a Gentleman

Everything was beautiful from the beginning to the end.

This perfume has a very evident and characteristic floral fragrance since its opening. This floral effect continues until the effect of the perfume is over. But it's not just about flowers...

At the beginning of the perfume there is a bergamot smell. So I agree with those who compare it to iced tea with bergamot. But not exactly ice tea. Because initially soft and not irritating, slightly spicy fragrance accompanies the bergamot scent( flowers still smelled during this time). I think this spicy smell is caused by cardamom and coriander.

I observed this especially on my own skin: at opening; The spicy scent is more effective when I spray it in hot weather, but bergamot is more dominant when I spray it in non-hot weather.

After about 1 hour and afterwards, flower scents become more dominant. wonderful floral scents... slightly powdery- floral, masculine and clean scent...

Although it is a flowery perfume, it has a masculine aura. This is a successful creation.This is the perfume of a calm, kind-hearted man who looks at life with hope. It is also a fragrance that will suit a gentleman.

I also liked the effect of the base notes of this perfume. It has an amazing effect on my body.
I met this perfume thanks to my darling. I am her gentleman :)

It is a fragrance especially suitable for the autumn and spring seasons. You can also use it in summer nights.

normally not a long lasting fragrance but it stays on my skin for a long time.
Lipton Ice-Tea to apply
I apologize in advance if my comment is not written as professionally as most people here, but my first comment on a fragrance is dedicated to my first great love of fragrance.

I am really very "fragrant" and my collection is getting bigger and bigger from week to week.
I have only discovered this affinity for me since the beginning of 2020, when I blindly bought the Baccarat Rouge, but now it's about the Kenzo Power.

When I first smelled the power, my first thought was "Liopton Ice-Tea".
It smells very strong as the iced tea tastes. You'd think they both have the same bergamot. The fruity in this scent makes it an iced tea peach Many people say he smells flowery, but for me he absolutely does not. Flowery for me is for example a Soleil Blanc from TF.
The fragrance, however, is very fresh and fruity, so that you can wear it in spring and summer for leisure and sports. In the evening on a summer night it is just as well suited Too bad that the fragrance doesn't last that long, but I really enjoy the few fruity hours I have with the sprayers anyway.
An absolute fresh fruit bomb for young people! The good thing about the scent is that it is relatively unknown Treat yourself to it blindly if you like fruity fresh scents or if you are a Lipton Ice Tea fan.
Aglianico
In the peace lies the strength
I get a little melancholic when I put on this scent. It reminds me of "Chihiro's Journey to the Magic Land", for me one of the best cartoons ever. An excess of fantasy, creative ideas and at the same time minor grounded, infused with a weightless melancholy.

Kenzo Power is the opposite of a power fragrance. He is no Wumser, no loud Oriental, screaming Synthetiker, no avant-garde precursor of the Egokultur today. He went out of style. A floral scent for the gentleman, flowers of all colours floating on an almost infinitely wide grey river, while warm summer rain sinks down on them. The - admittedly a little artificial - sea of flowers is flanked by a subtle citric freshness and for my nose a little powderiness. However, the latter is significantly less pronounced than in the "iris fraction" of Dior, Prada, Valentino & Co.

Synthetic? Probably. My impression, however, is, as I mentioned, above all: artificial. Just as an animated film does not depict or want to depict (photo) reality. For me, this fragrance goes just as well with grief as with spring or with the baby bottom mentioned below in a commentary, with the colour purple as with fresh green or a grey November.

Kenzo Power is a pure, quiet, flowery understatement with recognition value. An introverted emotional scent, but one that you can really wear and want to wear. I'd rather see him in younger people, but that's for everyone to decide for themselves. Shelf life and sillage are in the lower midfield. Sometimes this scent is accused of being "watered down". Wateriness and the accompanying restraint are indeed associations that also came to me. For me, however, this fits in wonderfully with the overall concept.
SchatzSucher
As smooth, clean and fresh as baby's bottom....
... and that's what I'm talking about!
Due to the many good reviews and the appealing fragrance pyramid, I made a blind purchase. The scent is hardly to be found in the relevant perfumeries.
And I was absolutely not disappointed.

My very first impression was "Ha, that's how a freshly bathed, creamed, powdered baby smells. So clean, so fresh, so innocently clean and tender"
And so Kenzo Power also starts for my sensation. Ok, I don't have a freshly bathed baby right now that I could sniff to see if the association is right, but that's Kenzo Babypo, um, Power, to me. Like a happy and contented baby, who is completely at peace with himself and the world. In the background I can hear this heart-refreshing gurgling baby laughter, when baby really feels good all around.

And a feel-good scent is Kenzo Power really.
Spices should appear in the top note. However, these have been used very sparingly, because he starts off with the soft floral-powdery note right away. Too many and too strong spices would have had a disturbing effect.
Resin, balsam and wood have also been used very sparingly in the base note; at most they act as a supporting framework so that the fragrance does not collapse too quickly.
I think the durability is quite good. An office day without overtime should be enough The scent veil is also present, even if it is not extremely expansive. But one is perceived.
The bottle is very successful, puristic, without frills, good sprayer. Unfortunately prone to fingerprints. And you can't see how much you've already used.

Be that as it may, anyone who likes it fresh and flowery, pure and clean like a baby's bottom is welcome here. You don't have to ask if it's a boy or a girl. Kenzo Power is suitable for both.
There is also no need to fear loud shouting, it remains cheerful, sweet, cheerful and not too loud all the time. I wore Kenzo Power again today, it fits very well to the still very summery weather. And I haven't smelled like baby in a long time :-)
Midnight power
I ordered the fragrance blindly because of the ratings and the low cost price. What immediately struck me is the similarity to Van Cleef & Arpel's Midnight in Paris. An indication that I only noticed after my subjective assessment: both Olivier Polge. One in 2008, the other in 2010.
For the one or the other who is interested in both fragrances or already owns one of the two, the hint might be useful to base his decision on this. Kenzo Power m.M.n. somewhat more masculine, more reserved.

Elysium
Sweet dreams are made of this...
Who am I to disagree? Yes, what is underrated for someone could be overrated for someone else. KENZO Power deserves much more attention than it got so far. I used KP some years ago when it was released to the market and I found it gorgeous, in some manner I expected that feminine side that a lot of people did not like. To me, that floral aspect is the signature of this scent, its floral heart has a “coolness” and “freshness” about it.

Since I’ve just found a sample in my bathroom I decided to test it once more and write a review. Well, at the first shot I instantly got a green blast of aromatic, zesty and vanillic aroma of bergamot, the pungent lemon-like aroma of mashed coriander seeds, and the cool delicate breath freshener aroma of crushed green cardamom pods. Just to be sure, I bruised a green cardamom pod from the kitchen and the smell is released, which is like a mixture of menthol, camphor, a greenish eucalyptus, orange peel, and lemon, is very close to the KP opening. There’s sweetness, quickly eclipsed by bitter lemon rind-like taste... Yes, the opening smells like a cup of Earl Grey black tea where bergamot and cardamom are dominant.

After the citrusy and spicy opening, it comes the sharp floral accord created using jasmine, rose and freesia. To me, it smells a little like osmanthus, as the scent of happiness. It smells of warm, ripe apricots, good green tea with its floral notes and natural sweetness and soft leather. I got something powdery like the iris in Dior Homme, though there is no iris in there, or it is not mentioned.

I can detect faint vanilla-cedar and labdanum in the dry-down, with dominant tolu balsam, and they start making their presence known shortly thereafter. The tolu blends well with the spice and floral notes to create a creamy, white-smelling accord. I love it!

In my opinion, KP is a contemporary woody-oriental-floral fragrance. If you like fresh, sheer, lightly spicy, faintly floral fragrances, give KP a try. Don’t care what other people say, KP was made for men, but women won’t find the fragrance too masculine. I got a lot of compliments from women when I wore it. And, do I have to say I like KP’s heavy stainless steel container in the shape of a sake bottle? Yes, unusual as the juice inside.
KP projects magnificently and lasts more than 10 hours on me. My impression is a long-lasting déjà-vu of another flower for man colognes. It has hints of the victorious Dior Homme iris and the most recent Valentino Uomo dark chocolate accents. As far as I remember, KP has a long lifespan on fabric, where it develops differently than it does on skin.

My gut feeling is that you should refrain from wearing it in summer or hot weather, too much sweet and floral for that season, and... do not exaggerate if you wanna wear it in the office. This is good for special occasions. It is amazing when it is so cold and windy outside and you smell this... and of course not for all type of guys! I found KP rich enough to work as a cold-weather scent for autumn, and fresh enough to work in warm weather like spring, but I found that it's at its best in cool, moist weather. it absolutely gives me a feeling of warmness.

-Elysium

ColinM
Tolu flowers from outer space
Another example of a “potential niche sensation” in a “neglected mainstream bottle”. Give this an obscure hipster name, make 50 bottles per batch when you feel to and get rich (if not in money, in praise and hype). Jokes aside, Kenzo Power is an extremely interesting fragrance, surely one of the most creative ones by this brand, and most important, tremendously easy and enjoyable to wear regardless of any added value. Power is a really bright, white, talc-like powdery scent with a fantastic bergamot opening, a sort of gassy-spicy vibe and a really recognizable tolu balsam note, which brings it really close to that other tolu bomb – Escada Magnetism for Men. Both share that same exact sort of “creamy-powdery-medicinal Cola feel”, and while in Escada it was bolder and more predictably integrated in a YSL M7 kind of structure, Kenzo Power brilliantly and perfectly fits it in a completely different, almost opposite ambiance – a delicate, weightless, futuristic sort of abstract floral whiteness, which gets some “substance” and a sweet darker shade precisely thanks to this odd balmy feel coming and going, cleverly balanced by a subtle but persistent feel of aromatic zesty freshness (bergamot). The only far comparison that came to my mind at some point was some sort of translucent lab hologram of a grandnephew of Jaipur Homme and Escada Magnetism for Men – fresher than both. Quality-wise the blend smells synthetic in a really pleasant, creative way, somehow soothing and somehow aloof, the kind of synthetic which you quite never smelled before (who said syntethics don’t require as much talent and creativity than naturals?). The result is a really clean and bright scent with a ton of personality, some really charming and enigmatic shades, decidedly androgynous, creepy and comforting at the same time. Fantastic for summer days. Really well done.

8/10
2.5

Euphemisms in Perfumery
What are your expectations towards a fragrance that has “Power” as part of its name? Do you expect a sillage monster? A stinker? An overly complex and demanding perfume? Or even a sweet and pungent oriental with never ending longevity?

Kenzo Power is nothing like that – at least on first sight – and it takes some consideration to find out in how far this name could be justified.

Other than the fragrance pyramid indicates I could not detect much of a top note. To me, the fragrance's development consists of two parts: The “Abstract flower accord” is actually a dry dark animalic musk note with rosy and maybe woody aspects. As a background, there is another type of musks which provides a powdery, creamy and almost dry vanillic appeal. This second type is also present from the beginning but completely takes over after about two hours.

The first, animalic part can be described as reminiscent to Keiko Mecheris wonderful Musc, or simply one or the other traditional musk oils. The second part is more like white musk – something you find in a body butter, hand cream or other cosmetic products. I guess there are not many perfumes that bring together these two very different facets of musk.

However, both accords provide only faint whiffs of fragrance. Kenzo Power is so weakish that it will surround you with a kind of aura rather than a discernible scent. Being weak is actually the main characteristic of this “Power” fragrance.

So, is Kenzo Power a disappointment then? I would not say that. It just covers a very special niche – and people seem to like it. Just have a look at the column on the right side next to this review. I think many people feel comfortable with a musky scent experience they remember from soothing body creams. Who knows - it may have to do with early childhood experiences.

Diminishing the strength of this perfume towards near nothing is a rather intelligent move. It avoids users getting fed up soon with what is basically an everyday scent. And it helps Kenzo Power retain something like a secret. There are not so many perfumes that are considerably weaker than the average, but they are appreciated for just that: The Gendarmes line from USA, most of Cartier's Eaux, and a few Annick Goutals.

Kenzo Power is something you might want to wear whenever you are not in the mood for a regular perfume. People will not note it as such as it simply smells more or less like a typical hand cream.

So, what about the power of this weakling? There is but one reason that justifies the name: no matter how cautiously creamy-powdery musks are being used – not only do they have a powerful longevity, they also stick to the skin. Water and soap are of no use if you want to get rid of it. All you can do is wait or try to cover it with something else.

I am not sure if Kenzo Power has been discontinued but offers can still be found on the net. Look out for the silver flacon and do not confuse it with Kenzo Power Cologne which is a different perfume and comes in the transparent bottle. I think Kenzo Power is a good addition to a wardrobe full of sophisticated and eccentric perfumes – just for the difference of it.

HugoMontezHugoMontez 1 year ago
This is a great fresh floral scent for men. It has a powdery feel a la Prada and a spicy kick in the opening. Unique and very pleasant. 3/5
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
I awaited that feminine side, the floral aspect's the signature of this scent, its floral heart has a “coolness” and “freshness” about it.
HermeshHermesh 6 years ago
Powdery-flowery, slightly tart freshness. Subtle spicy and pleasant (unobtrusive).
ApiciusApicius 6 years ago
2.5
This fragrance wears the name 'Power' because it has none.

Herzlichen Dank Euch allen :-)
by 008Pauline
by Honk1510
by Acamara
by Acamara

Popular Kenzo

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo Kenzo Amour Le Parfum by Kenzo Kenzo Jungle / Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo L'Élixir by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo Le Parfum by Kenzo Jungle Le Tigre by Kenzo Kenzo Amour Indian Holi by Kenzo Jungle pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Kenzo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo Eau Indigo pour Femme by Kenzo Jeu d'Amour L'Élixir by Kenzo Ça Sent Beau / Kenzo (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo 5:40 PM in Madagascar by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo Essentielle by Kenzo Summer by Kenzo by Kenzo Kenzo Air (Eau de Toilette Intense) by Kenzo Kenzo Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Kenzo Air (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Le Monde est Beau by Kenzo