Kenzo pour Homme (1991) Eau de Toilette

Kenzo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo
Bottle Design: Serge Mansau

Kenzo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Kenzo for men and was released in 1991. The scent is fresh-aquatic. It was last marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesLemon, Green notes, Bergamot, Fruity notes, Clary sage
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Ozone, Iris, Lily-of-the-valley, Peach, Juniper, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesCedar, Moss, Musk, Ambergris, Sandalwood

Submitted by Sani, last update on 25.06.2019

6.0 6.0 7.0 10.0/10

Old love doesn't rust
Kenzo pour homme was pretty much the first fragrance that my sister gave me in my teenage years and the first one that I couldn't get rid of after spraying on my nose. I guess it must have been like that in the early '90s. Then, about 20 years later, over the weekend, we went on a city trip to Leipzig and bought me there, for whatever reason, the two heroes of my early perfume years. While Thommy Boy, whom I used to worship in a similar way, today actually only remembers "the good old days" and I don't wear him anymore, KPH is still a milestone for me. This mix of citric, flowery and woody is a favourite in warm spring and summer and still beats modern summer scents by far. Unfortunately it seems to me that Kenzo has never been able to continue these good scents like Power or KPH because the creations of the last years were at best average for me and often not even that. Power and KPH on the other hand are two of the very few fragrances that (with me) have survived time and that have become a serious relationship. Although I have to admit that to KPH with Bvulgaris Aqua Amara and Varvatos Artisan Blue two more lovers have been added in summer. Nevertheless KPH gets a not quite objective 10/10 with teenage eyes in love. They can also overlook the fact that the flacon design in the 90s was simply more beautiful than the much smoother one in the newer version
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Sailing dreams
I am known as a woman who likes sometimes to confuse people by means of the scent she uses.
Kenzo was love at first sniff and after so many decades I am still devoted to his charm and realiability.

Summer it's the season, I am about 28 at friends' house having had a sleepover following a massive party they have thrown the night before. My best friends stayed over as well and we wake up to realization that we have no make-up or scent to dress up with. As we are to have dinner with the hosts, we turn to them for help.

The friends are both men, with distinctly different tastes in scents. They provide Kenzo and Givenchy; I approach the former with my nose and immediately am spellbound. I grab the bottle and generously spray the cologne all over me.

Instantly, I am transported on a boat and am sailing on wild waves. The iodic nature of the waters pervades my nostrils, making me feel euphoric, in a very intoxicating way.
I smell woods here where I am, as if part of this dream boat were constructed with them: they are solid presences, as if the boat was built with them, but in the winds their scent is not overwhelming.

Suddenly a whiff of resin, comforting, gentle. And a faint scent of fruit and violet tickles my nostrils, as if coming up on the deck from the galley. It makes me hungry, my mouth watering at the thought of juicy fruit in the heat that can cook your skull.

So the four of us go eat finally, chosing a nice restaurant with view of the hills. Candles flickering, I am sitting at the table but my body followed the mind and we are both still sailing on that boat.

I am summoned back to mainland to order my steak and in taking the order the waiter comments "...that is an amazing fragrance you are wearing miss".
I smile and reply simply "it's that of sailing dreams".

My friends stare at me as if I am talking utter nonsense; but then they don't know am spellbound, kidnapped and taken on the sea.
I look back at them with an expression which dismissed their confusion over the raising of further questions, so we settle into chit chats on the previous night.

To these days, whenever I smell this cologne I feel as if am transported back to that boat, and boy, wouldn't I stay there forever and ever.....

10.0 7.5 7.5 9.0/10

GothicHeart
Steel from the deepest fathoms...
"How do I smell like?" I asked my badass then girlfriend sometime back in the mid 90's. "Like a shirasaya through the heart of Cthulhu, if the damn thing has any, that is! And I can see you are still holding its hilt!" she replied...

The Father and King of all aquatics...
The most beauteous flacon ever...
The stuff of legends...
5.0 7.5 7.5 9.0/10

1000 Lilies In A Bottle
1000 black lilies go into one bottle of Kenzo Homme – a beautiful advertisement from 1991. It may not quite fit in with the ingredients but it hits the character of this fragrance right on the spot.

1991 was a good year for gents' colognes. Following the excentric Joop! Homme also others released courageous perfumes, and Kenzo Homme was one of those. It is just as unique and distinctive. But the distinctness of those perfumes also had its disadvantages. Just like Davidoff's Cool Water soon everbody was wearing it in the evening or at a night out, with devastating effects. Even a few drops of sweat on your skin were boosting it all over the dance floor. And when the DJ decided to switch on the fog machine, all you could do was run!

But these times are over. Today, it is possible to wear Kenzo Homme again, with all discreetness necessary. And Kenzo Homme was on the scene all the many years while Kenzo released smoothed and diluted summer editions or L'Eau's of this exceptional fragrance, one after another. However, no flanker ever came near to the dark, ethereal freshness of Kenzo Homme.

The released fragrance notes can hardly give you an idea about this perfume. Despite all its power and conciseness – Kenzo Homme is a summer fragrance, and summer only! I can only imagine wearing it with at least 30° Celsius, or in a tropical night.

Kenzo Homme basically incorporates a deep dark, vibrating ozonic freshness which sits in a powdery, slightly green floral environment plus dry and transparent woody notes. Using a term from the Far East, it has lots of chi. If you sense it, the mere presence might cause a slight slap on your solar plexus. To be surrounded by this fragrance in summer heat is a bit like having a big ice cube in your body. You may feel it from inside.

After the initial success of Kenzo Homme and also Cool Water, not only Kenzo decided to flood the marked with aquatics. Some are really horrible, and I can understand everybody who decides to better avoid this fragrance family. However, Kenzo Homme is a gem among the aquatics, so don't miss it.

After many years I had to buy a new flacon. The good news: I did not notice any change, it looks like we still get the vintage fragrance! The bad news: They changed the flacon. The beautiful dark frosted glass bottle with the engraved lily leaves is gone – we get plastic now. At least, the prices are low. There seems also a 30 ml bottle available which is sufficient: Kenzo Homme should not be worn on a daily basis.

It is good we still have this gorgeous perfume, but let's also hope it will never regain its former popularity. Like most aquatics, you can easily become fed up with it if you have to smell it too often.

Tetrodox 43 hours ago
Rome '94 - Every younger man was wearing this! I smelled it everywhere. I only found out what it was 6 years later! I will always have Rome!
9.0
6.0
9.0
Jazzy76 10 months ago
Son of the minimal early 90es, it's the answer for man to the aquatic feminin fragrances of that period. Fresh-aromatic and well balanced+2
6.0

Discussions about Kenzo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette)

GothicHeart in Perfumes & Brands

by MrNiceGuy
by Acamara
by Acamara

Popular Kenzo

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo by Kenzo Kenzo Jungle / Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo Kenzo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Kenzo Power (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Kenzo Amour Le Parfum by Kenzo Jungle pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Kenzo Amour Indian Holi by Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo Le Parfum by Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo pour Femme by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo L'Elixir by Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo Eau Indigo pour Femme by Kenzo Jeu d'Amour (Eau de Parfum) by Kenzo Parfum d'Été (Eau de Parfum) by Kenzo Kenzo Homme (Eau de Toilette Boisée) by Kenzo Kenzo Homme Night by Kenzo Kenzo World (Eau de Parfum) by Kenzo Ça Sent Beau / Kenzo (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Flower in the Air (Eau de Parfum) by Kenzo