Kenzo Homme 2021 Eau de Toilette Intense

Kenzo Homme (Eau de Toilette Intense) by Kenzo
Kenzo Homme (Eau de Toilette Intense) is a new perfume by Kenzo for men and was released in 2021. The scent is fresh-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Quentin Bisch

Top Notes Top NotesPink pepperPink pepper Calypsone®Calypsone®
Heart Notes Heart NotesFig woodFig wood Haitian vetiverHaitian vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesAustralian sandalwoodAustralian sandalwood Akigalawood®Akigalawood®

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 14.05.2022.

Dill vs pickles
Was interested in a new summer scent, and based on these notes, got a sample and tried it over 2 days in the Spring, with temperatures around 10 degrees celsius. After about an hour or so, it settles into what you may have already read already- a pickles sort of smell. I tried convincing myself that perhaps it could pass as dill, but it was too pungent and sour to be as refined as dill, and wafts coming from myself kept on insisting that I had splashed pickle juice on myself.

RELIVING MY BEST and BEAUTIFUL MEMORIES FOR FEW TEN EUROS
Although I'm really short on money, I really try to live by a short statement, which in 3 words tells everything there is to know:

'Life is short...'

On 5th of January, 2022 I bought 50 ml of EGOISTE PLATINUM (for more my wallet was too thin) & as a thank you I got 5 quite high quality miniature testers (Givenchy, KENZO,...)

I made it my 'mission' to thoroughly try (test) them all, so that I can post at least a partial review about them on this web site.

I really don't know why I have chosen that KENZO HOMME EDT INTENSE will be my number two on the 'list', but so it happened.

When TESTING fragrances I have a habit to spray the fragrance twice on my left forearm and twice on the right. This is the 1st test & the 2nd one I usually do 2 days later. Same routine, but because usually in the tester is 1 ml (can be also 1.2, but here it wasn't specified), the end result is, that in average I got 3 sprays over BOTH whole arm(s) - in the 2nd test, before the tester was empty.

Now to the main points of my review, which I really shouldn't forget:

From the FIRST spray on, I was mesmerized & I almost immediately felt that I was taken almost 30 years in the past, into my youth and my memory took me somewhere near the beach and I could actually touch, smell and vividly see & hear, what was going on.

Anyway, a very pleasant experience on my couch at home.

If I wanted to exaggerate, I'd use the term lucid dream or dreaming in a state of wakefulness.

No, it wasn't so intense (it is not my intention to deceive you in any way - positive or negative), but it was not very far away from it.

Mainly those memories were 'real' (not a fantasy, because they were substantiated by my mother, because at that age she still had one eye on my whereabouts - well, it seems, that not a lot has changed in 30 years :)

But the main thing was, that at those times and places I was HAPPY, CAREFREE - a stark contrast to the cold winter outside and my pain - which is harder and harder to control, because it comes from the heart, the inside & at least for some time, faded away.

If I take ONLY those aspects of the fragrance, it is worth buying. Period!

So, before I continue: EXACTLY one week later I went back to the store & bought my KENZO HOMME Intense 40 ml (my hands were shaking, because even this tiniest bottle - 40, 60 or 110 ml - I could hardly afford & to be honest, I was sincerely hoping for the 60 ml variant*).

* insider tip from a long time employee there (how is this trustworthy, NO IDEA); so to paraphrase her:

"If you really like this fragrance, buy AT LEAST the middle variant, because the prices will without a doubt go up, not even stay as they are and DEFINITELY NOT fall even a bit."

But there is always something & I'll mention this (ONLY) one negative thing here first:

Someone who doesn't have so much money problems as I do, would probably not even notice, that this EDT Intense (I'm leaning to the conclusion, that the added word 'Intense' actually means something & brings this fragrance closer to the EDP. Said otherwise, IMO this isn't just a marketing stunt) is quite costly.

But don't get me wrong, for example: Sauvage Elixir has (again, just IMO) 'problems' with sillage (I'm NOT even touching the main problem of this fragrance - COST). And this is for such HIGH concentration & LOW content of the fragrance (60 ml) just UNACCEPTABLE.

If I try to compare longevity of those two fragrances, there seems to be a tie. But looking at the BIG picture (you surely know what I'm talking about), Elixir is AGAIN IMO a clear loser.

Why am I comparing exactly those 2 fragrances? KENZO probably doesn't have a question mark. And Elixir I chose because of the 'hype' around it & there is another reason:

In one month I was four times in the same fragrance store & I conveniently used the opportunity, when I bought two other fragrances (2 times I bought nothing, but who cares), to test Sauvage Elixir & attempt to find the 'magic', which people (apparently) see (smell) in it.

When it comes to smell (at least for the first few hours), Elixir is for me (barely) the winner. Yes, it smells REALLY NICE for the first few hours, but for me (especially at such a price) there is really nothing new, no 'WOW' factor & this is what I really miss (and I surely won't be the only one :)

I'm not even mentioning the absence of associations & memories, which are with this fragrance completely missing (AGAIN - at least in my instance and I admit this is one of the most subjective factors I'm describing here).

To continue, what is happening when I'm smelling Elixir and what I really miss and what I DO get, when I do only one quick (doesn't even have to be a 'deep') smell with KENZO HOMME Intense:

The scent(s) start their 'voyage' in my nose, they continue their way to the smell center in the brain (olfactory bulb) and end their (short) route in the amygdala & hippocampus, which are ALWAYS the source for triggering a memory with details and if you're "lucky" even an intense emotion.

A DEFINITIVE 0 : 2 for Kenzo (but again, a very SUBJECTIVE experience, so I'll 'allow myself' giving you an advice in the middle of all this words AND IF YOU CAN, follow it:

It doesn't matter, how adorable words I will still use BELOW for the description, how KENZO smells.
Everything about this review (and majority of others) is to a degree (especially this one, because I'm new here & don't have so much experiences) SUBJECTIVE:

PLEASE, do me a favor and don't make a blind buy. Period.

Now it's out and I can continue:

Although the brain retains its 'plasticity' ALL its life, the odour receptors for Elixir obviously didn't have the need to make any such connection for me. :(

Rather the opposite (my experience) is true for KENZO (the main reason I bought it *), but I must emphasize that the scent is ALSO very pleasing, nice & soft - understatement (my mother used the adjectives 'intrusive' & 'harsh' - probably just to annoy me, because after few days she was nearer to my 'wavelength' :) .

* NOT ONLY just because it triggers a memory on a scale level of movie 'Total Recall' with Arnold Schwarzenegger. No, just kidding... :)

With confidence I say, that durability is way ABOVE the AVERAGE & that the sillage is beyond my expectations, especially for an EDT (Intense or not :)

I'll leave the descriptions, where comparisons are made with OTHER individual fragrances & described with notes, to other reviewers, whose collections of perfumes are bigger and they have much more experience than me, to write reviews in such a way as described in this paragraph.

I have ONLY one request for you ALL:

Please don't be too harsh on me & don't 'tear up' my review. I tried my best to bring you my experience with this fragrance nearer to you all & English is not my 1st language. Besides that, this is only just my 2nd review.

If the review was even a bit helpful to you, a click on the 'proper' button will take you less than a second & the same is with the award. But don't get me wrong:

If you have something to add: A compliment OR the opposite of it, please do so.

Thank You all in advance.

P.S.

You may look up on the web the synthetic substance 'Calypsone'. It is one of the ingredients in this fragrance (only today it was changed from 'Sea Breeze' - I think / hope, that my proposal in the forum had at least something to do with this) & I have the feeling that it gives some of the magic to this fragrance, which caught me in its net.

Flaviu12
Fusion d Issey, wanna be! A no for me. I prefer Firmeniche s Fusion d Issey and Fusion Extreme!
I tested it 2 times in a parfumery. I ain t like it. Not that great, i find Givaudan materials quite harsh, and not that pleasant. I find Firmeniche materials way way better, for my taste. Its just a generic concept interpretation copy of superb Fusion d Issey by Issey Mijake. Nathalie Lorson its a better parfumeur than Quetin, thats a fact, She has more experience, more details attention, and overall better releases.

Revival
I have never been a fan of Kenzo perfumes...
But i just changed my mind.
We are here on renewal, but not in the genre we take the same and we start again, no.
Rather, it is a recreation of the classic Kenzo for men.
With its unique DNA, it looks nothing like other current launches and to tell the truth, boring...
Kenzo Intense nevertheless has a nice balance.
The note of calypsone (a synthetic molecule) is very interesting here, persistent, somewhat reminiscent of grapefruit.
A salty aquatic touch, a woody side just enough, the inspiration of bamboo, the intensity and freshness of a sea breeze, like salty skin heated in the sun...
At the first sniffs, it was the big surprise.
I highly recommend it.
For the sillage and longevity, it's pretty good.
I noticed 7hours on myself.
You will not make them fall like flies, but will leave behind a rather remarkable sillage for several hours...
The bottle is very original, all in verticality, all dressed in blue, with a beveled cap evoking a Katana cut...
Conclusion: Departing from the current and boring beaten track, this new Kenzo is a real success.
Original, fresh, excellent sillage, very good longevity, pretty bottle...
What more??
Ah yes, thank you Mister Bisch
My rating: 10/10

Intense & Unique
I've owned a bottle of this for a while now, after previously having a sample, so it wasn't a 'blind buy'. For some reason though I'm not sure how I really feel about it on a personal level, even if I think it is a brilliantly made modern masculine scent. I think it's one of those fragrances that could really divide opinion, the first one which comes to mind is l'Eau Bleue d'Issey Miyake, which while they don't smell the same (l'Eau Bleue is decidedly more herbal and dry) neither is the type of scent everyone will appreciate, they're not crowd pleasers and in an olfactive sense they should appeal to similar tastes (and those who like the original Kenzo pour homme) even if this Kenzo has a slightly more modern touch.

Despite the fact I'm not sure how I feel about Kenzo Intense (as I'll call this), the first time I smelled it I was entranced, I couldn't stop smelling it. It's been the same ever since even though something about it sometimes gets 'too much' at the same time! This is strong stuff, for me a little goes a long way and it's extremely longlasting, particularly on clothing.

Rather than any specific notes Kenzo Intense bombards the senses with a curious mix of fresh salty oceanic air, an exotic touch, some green vibes and woods, it's not light & airy. It kind of comes across as sweet & savoury at the same time, not sweet as in a sugary gourmand scent but, and this might sound weird kind of 'pickle' like! I remember Ash (Gents scents) said in his Youtube review that his wife hated this & said it smelled of pickles, I wasn't sure about that back then, but sometimes it does comes across that way to me too, strangely not in a bad way though! It's an interesting fragrance, I do like it but right now at least can't bring myself to 'love' it as something I want to wear all the time.

The closest description in relation to others scents which I know is; imagine a strange experiment where you mix Azzaro chrome Aqua, Kenzo Homme OG, Fusion d'Issey and maybe even a touch of Lalique Encre Noire you might end up with something like this. Maybe. Kenzo Intense is a modern, powerful scent which won't appeal to all - I think it'll drive some people wild as much as it'll repel others but it's a unique & strong release by Kenzo, definitely in keeping with the 'mood' of the original and much loved Kenzo pour Homme.

D.P. November 2021

PS; the presentation is superb!

A new hope
Kenzo always found interesting among the designer düftchen, especially because the but their own way in sachen DNA have gone and stood out with their creations from the measures. Kenzo Homme EDT a faithful companion because I still mix today now and then in my "rotation" pure However, the fire of passion at Kenzo the last few years on sparflamme run, forgettable boring and bland fragrances until now.
Homme Intense
is a pleasant warm woody-fresh combination with some fruit as I find
the balanced fig-wood note gives the fragrance to the base a slight tart experience. The fresh (Calypsone) note transforms in the mids and becomes slightly airy what the sweetness and the wood in the base acts strong & flattering.

Durability is for me in the 5-7h range, the projection & sillage are very strong at the beginning but lose after 3~ something in performance without really becoming a skin scent. Price Lesitung on Discounter is very good.

I would note the fragrance only how much you spray because it is stronger than you perceive it yourself. is clearly in the air. On fit the mann him not übersprüht

lg

Never ending sweetness
Tested it on a blotter first: sweet, mildly complex, notes I could not identify.

Tested on the skin: very strong projection thirty minutes after application - a friend of mine I was having coffee with complained of "that strong smell of perfume" (he did not use the word "cologne").

A sweetness I could not relate to smells of nature (maybe fig, maybe pepper) nor aromatic references kept present on the skin after a morning shower, some 16 hours after asking for the test. Projection is mild but notorious.

No ozonic nor aquatic notes so far. As to the SA and as far as my experience is, the original and this are not related at all.

This is the case of a blend in which less is more; a 100 ml bottle will last a lifetime, more than two tiny sprays will suffocate the wearer and those around him, besides the fact longevity will be more than needed.
Rehabilitation for Kenzo?
There is reason for hope. I was a big fan of the Kenzo brand. I thought they used to make unusual, not everyday, but everyday mainstream fragrances: Kenzo Homme Eau de Toilette- a classic, to this day. Jungle, Homme Boisee and especially Tokyo and Power. Unusual, different and yet clearly Kenzo.
And then came the descent, which began with Homme Sport cautiously (especially boring and irrelevant), continued with Homme Night (inharmonious and somehow intrusive), to then come to the Eau de Parfum lows of the two classics Homme and L'Eau, which threatened to let the brand sink into a seemingly never-ending whirlpool of sweet sticky irrelevance. Sure sign of that: the even worse Aqua Kenzo. I must confess that I had given up on Kenzo.
And now Kenzo Homme, Eau de Toilette intense- a new beginning, reason for hope?
Actually, yes, as I find. The new has nothing to do with the original fragrance. Kenzo also does not try to find the old DNA of Jungle and Tokyo again. But they finally bring out a multi-layered, well-made mainstreamer again, which has a decent development, a certain independence and a tremendous durability and projection, without coming across too clashing synthetic.
It starts with a powerfully peppered pinch of aquatic, before the fragrance develops into the slightly sweet (fig, I love fig!) and especially in the green-earthy (vetiver, patchouli). The sandalwood ensures that a certain basic freshness is always maintained. And that is the strength of the new Kenzo. He has a bit of many directions, but creates a main direction and an excellent performance.
Yes, there is a certain synthetic quality that cannot be denied. I would compare Kenzo's new one most closely to H24 from Hermes, although the scents are quite different. But it seems that a new mainstream trend is a slightly unisex, distinctly greened, slightly sweetened freshness that is also definitely synthetic, but above all, despite all the performance, comes across more unobtrusively and with more understatement than recent trends (1 Million Candy Bombs, Sauvage Synthetic Slings). I can live with that trend just fine.
And Kenzo makes a first, very big step in the direction of rehabilitation.

Razvanyke
The better Ganymede and more affordable
I must say that I am a Kenzo fan since forever, I had about 3 bottles of Air Intense and totally loved it. Now with the sea of Homme, Water, etc .. all uninspiring and forgettable, I had no mood to try a new one.

The Homme 21 changed that, with the bamboo like bottle and the Quentin Bisch als Parfumeur. He also created the Le Male Le Parfum which I like and he is the master parfumeur für Marc Antoine Barrois´s Ganymede which I find very good and controversial.

The Kenzo here reviewed is not so much in the Kenzo freshie, uninspiring way .. but more like a Ganymede for the masses, with a decent price, performance and less schreechy.

The notes are summarized above so there is no need to go through them, for me this is a very good release for Kenzo and a good copy paste recipe from Ganymede. In a world where the perfumers keep their main composition and advertise it under various names for various companies, I do not mind that Quentin Bisch did this with Kenzo and Barrois.

I am not sure if it´s a full 110ml bottle worthy, but a 30ml to spray now and then it is totally worth it.

New freshness
Here you can not expect a spin-off of the old Kenzo pour Homme from the 90s or the successor Kenzo Homme, the Homme Eau de Toilette intense is an independent fragrance that starts fresh and slightly wüzig and after quite a while then gives subtle woody notes of itself. I have perceived even after several hours again and again on myself a beautiful and pleasant woody note.
The flacon looks great and is very good in the hand.
I find the new Kenzo succeeded and do not regret the Blindbuy.
I have no direct comparison, but I mean a certain similarity with the new Davidoff Cool Water perfume to recognize.

JavijabsJavijabs 20 days ago
The fragrance was watered down. Batch 1F02. Longevity 2 hours, sillage 20 minutes. This is horrible.
Seeker78Seeker78 4 months ago
Changed my perspective on the price in review: 'PHYSICAL' shop - price barely acceptable; WWW shop - SAME price for almost DOUBLE quantity!
Nik604Nik604 8 months ago
Kenzo goes Ethyl maltol...finally,,,next.
MatuxMatux 9 months ago
Endless and oddly unidentified sweetness - still present on the skin 24 hs post application.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 10 months ago
A very oceanic-like scent. There's caliber, some woods and a fruitiness to it. Reminiscent to the original but modernized. Good! 3/5

by Christoph69
by Christoph69
by Squid
by Squid
by Seeker78
by Seeker78

Popular by Kenzo

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo Kenzo Amour Le Parfum by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo L'Élixir by Kenzo Kenzo Jungle / Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo Kenzo Power (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo Le Parfum by Kenzo Jungle Le Tigre by Kenzo Kenzo Amour Indian Holi by Kenzo Jungle pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Kenzo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo Eau Indigo pour Femme by Kenzo Ça Sent Beau / Kenzo (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Jeu d'Amour L'Élixir by Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo 5:40 PM in Madagascar by Kenzo Kenzo Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Flower by Kenzo Essentielle by Kenzo Summer by Kenzo by Kenzo Kenzo Air (Eau de Toilette) by Kenzo Le Monde est Beau by Kenzo