Broken Theories 2015

Broken Theories by Kerosene
Broken Theories is a popular perfume by Kerosene for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is smoky-spicy. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Perfumer & Creative Guidance

John Pegg (Marken-Inhaber, Parfümhersteller)

Blood orange, Tobacco, Spices, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Oud, Frankincense

Submitted by WiB, last update on 14.09.2020.

Pollita
A normal Sunday at the fire station
Already at six o'clock in the morning on this Sunday morning, the first alarm throws the chief fire chief Kunze out of his feathers. There is to be a fire in an allotment garden settlement. Together with his men, the cozy firefighter sets out, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. "So early already", he thinks to himself. But on a Sunday in the warm summer month of July, it can always happen that a barbecue or campfire has caused a fire on the dry ground. Having arrived in the allotment gardens, he can clearly hear the smell of burnt wood and charcoal, but there is no fire anywhere. "We had a barbecue last night and at a late hour we were still sitting around the campfire and singing songs," Walter Schmidt, one of the allotment gardeners, explains to him. In his garden there is also a very intense smell of spices, which the enthusiastic hobby cook draws himself with his green thumb. Since the fire has been out for a long time, Kunze and his men drive back to the station.

But there is no time for coffee and breakfast: Once again the siren sounds loudly. The village church should be reached. "A fire in the church", wonders the chief fire chief. Once there, he notices a strong, coked and slightly sweetish smell. Even more intense than before in the garden. The source is also quickly found and it is by no means a fire. Father Matzke eagerly waves his incense burner. Together with the ethereal incense the smell of glowing coals unfolds. He gives our good main fire chief some more wise words of the Lord and returns to his congregation while Kunze drives back to the fire station.

The rest of the day is quiet, but in the evening the men have to move out a third time. This time the pensioner Albert is said to be on fire, as the chief fire chief is told. So let's go to the housing estate. Already from a distance Kunze perceives a dark smoky and slightly sweetish smell. Albert and his wife are sitting comfortably in the garden, where the pensioner is smoking his pipe. The tobacco is refined with sweet vanilla aromas. Here too, the firemen search in vain for a fire and are allowed to say goodbye in their well-earned retirement.

Broken Theories inspired me to write this little story, because in the first moment I sniff burnt wood with incense and think of a campfire that burned for a long time and eventually went out. Broken Theories creates for my nose exactly the authentic smell of something burnt. When applied to the skin, however, the scent becomes very soft and warm and the vanilla and tobacco tones come through. On my husband it smells very homely and with time you think more of a cosy pipe or a smoking man at Christmas time.

At the moment, of course, it's completely the wrong time of year for such a fragrance, but it's during the cold season that Broken Theories shows its strengths. Anyone who likes incense, no matter in which form, will love Broken Theories. One of the most authentic smoke scents I have ever come across. A suitable fragrance also for all those who find By the Fireplace by Margiela far too sweet. Because here the smoke wins and the vanilla tones always remain in the background. I'm afraid I'll have to give my husband a bottle one day, because he's blown away. And I always think a bit about 911, one of my current favourite series, when I smell the fragrance.

Many thanks to Chizza for getting to know me and to Caligari for another test possibility.
Olfactory reminiscence of subcultures

The story behind Kerosene is quite exciting, considering his background as a worker. When you add to this the fact that he himself, like other youtubers, has released his own perfume, or rather numerous ones, you can only be full of praise. Especially since he seems to get along without Alberto and without windy behaviour.
As chance would have it, I had already had my eye on kerosene and especially Broken Theories for quite some time. Everything read too well. Only buy blind? Basically - who knows me knows this by now - no topic but somehow it didn't come to that. So time went by and at some point the teacher perfume suggested to me to provide me with samples. Gratefully I accepted and also saw Broken Theories. These are the little coincidences in life. So selected and how I feel the fragrance, I would like to tell you a little story, because the perfume reminds me a bit empirically of this subculture:
It was already 23 o'clock, the first bands were through, the pack partly beer-/metselig, partly emphatically dark standing on the edge and looking gloomy. Although you might think that the fans of Viking/Pagan/Black Metal bands might tick similarly, they were as different as the bands and their world view. In this catacombs-like event room they all stood, waiting for their favourites, easily recognizable by their merchandise. Because even if a band limited its vinyls to a three-digit number, the merchandising business was a pleasure for everyone.
So there they were, the frock-wearers with the emblems of cult bands, the ones with all the bracelets of festivals where even Wolle Petry would have been envious, the front in black cleavage with their coats, the boots and the sometimes bizarre looking jewellery. On stage very different bands, partly with corpsepaint, partly pagan looking, partly average dressed. In front of the stage, it was wild, bodies were swung, heads and hair were shaken all over the place...except for a rather dark, slow music was played, where you could see the pendants listening in silence.
For those unfamiliar with the scene it must seem bizarre, like a panopticon, but what I sometimes find exciting about this subculture at festivals is the external unity, which does not exist inside. This is where ways of life, attitudes and levels of education coexist. All this can also be seen in the bands, which sometimes talk about profane themes, sometimes lyrically deal with high quality, where you unexpectedly meet John Milton, Dante Alighieri or - clearly - Goethe in the sense of Faust I.
What does all this have to do with Broken Theories? For me, perfume is the fragrance of these catacombs, the hodgepodge of individual smells. The cold and spicy tobacco in combination with frankincense, more lovely influences like blood orange, vanilla in particular and sandalwood. Many things work on their own as well as the different styles. But in the end there is a harmony, one cog reaches into the other and you understand each other. The tobacco complements the frankincense and acquires a new spiciness. The two become partly creamy by the vanilla and the sandalwood. It smells insanely great! The last mosaic gives the blood orange, which contributes a kind of esprit, which I interpret as mystical-melancholic. Durability and sillage are also in the upper third. For me a kind of dirtier, more daring egoist.
Well, anyway, if the subculture mentioned above had a signature scent for me, Broken Theories would be it.
In destroying the theory
First theory: I think I was thinking of Kafka when I woke up in the morning in a dream, in a cover of blood orange, which was probably invisible because everyone I told laughed and claimed that there was nothing there. Its flesh had pushed to the edges, its skin was as thin as parchment, and in the light, which wandered obscurely through the walls, incense billowed, meandering in a reddish rotation, in sand-sized shimmering drops of mist, warm and spicy, balsamic and sweet. Euphoric about the PROCEß of the blazing surf, I experienced the first turn in the dream, thoughts of foreign control broke, I began to love the shell.
Second theory: Now I witnessed a TRANSFORMATION, again a Kafkaesque act, the orange carried out a samsamorphosis into a light brown tobacco leaf in which the incense drops raged and fell on a black vanilla ground, from which mighty sandalwood trees grew, warm and velvety and yet red edged, resins of the smoke gushed out of their bark and already I began to notice again, intolerable only the theory of thoughts, but not the aroma of the room.
Third theory: After a few hours, the shell had disappeared, the surf had ebbed, the vanilla had crushed, the tobacco had burned and the woods to the hut, like the goal of a HOME in a quiet middle, from whose chimney the incense still rose, from a distance where I stopped, but not because I felt fear of someone stoking a fire in the wooden hut, more because it was so quiet, so peacefully familiar here, the scenery became one with my skin. Staying in the dark until wood and smoke blow away, eyes closed, hours pass by.
Metatheory: The theory is thematized as a merry-go-round in the head, which smears the experience around us beyond recognition, stirs up fears of heteronomy and rejection, the smoke of bad dreams that lingers in us, the spices of pain on our skin, the theory that everything remains horrible, the pattern of thinking obstructs reality. To feel the freedom to change the patterns, the scent is to remind us that I escape through mindfulness, is the destruction of theory. Thus this portable cover helps us to focus our attention on the essential, to never miss the here and now, only then as quietly as a pair of glasses.

(With thanks to ChopIsland)

SmellGoodGuySmellGoodGuy 17 months ago
The very epitome of niche.

by Shivsri13
by Taskphorce
by PallasCC
by PallasCC

Popular Kerosene

Follow by Kerosene Unknown Pleasures by Kerosene Blackmail by Kerosene Wood Haven by Kerosene Fields of Rubus by Kerosene Walk The Sea by Kerosene Black Vines by Kerosene Summer of 84 by Kerosene R'oud Elements by Kerosene Pretty Machine by Kerosene Unforsaken by Kerosene Canfield Cedar by Kerosene Copper Skies by Kerosene Santalum Slivers by Kerosene Whips and Roses by Kerosene Creature by Kerosene Kindred by Kerosene Dirty Flower Factory by Kerosene Sacred Memory by Kerosene Winter of 99 by Kerosene