Copper Skies 2011

Copper Skies by Kerosene
Bottle Design John Pegg
Copper Skies is a perfume by Kerosene for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is spicy-resinous. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Perfumer & Creative Guidance

John Pegg (Brand owner, Perfume maker)

AmberAmber
CedarCedar
TobaccoTobacco
HoneycombHoneycomb
BasilBasil
CloveClove

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 29.09.2021.

Where's the incense?..
With the metal box with all the samples in hand, today we continue. Into the air. And with a confusion. Or surprise. In any case, with one of the older scents.

The opening ambivalent. Both with full force there, as well as arg restrained. Something between too much spice and too little expressiveness. I wanted to briefly regret the test, as the exuberant spice paste with indefinable content settled. And then... I swear, there must be incense in there somewhere. What? It's not... It can't be...
Copper Skies transforms into a sacred incense monster. And that's just through cedar and amber with the rounding out of clove. The latter is only very late in the course of me differentiated perceptible. But woven together in a way that it is somehow at the same time almost boring, as well as ingenious.
A pyramid there is not, so that here clearly a scent progression takes place, which weakens the fragrance over time more and more.
For my taste, he could project a little stronger, makes with over 10 hours on the skin - although always very close to the body - a decent figure.

If Squid is too clean and salty for you, but you like to try a smoky combination of amber and clove, this might be something for you.

I may, however, still briefly express disappointment. Because the naming is not plausible for me. I could understand an association with stills, but for that the scent is neither spicy, nor hot, nor smoky enough for me. Something in the range of evening mood or dawn (or both) also makes no sense to me, for a similar reason, especially since something cooling is then missing.
Ultimately, it looks very similar here, as I already wrote in my review of Metal Wave, that my imagination does not match the product.
Why I have such a very different perception than many here... well, that's just the way it is.
But at the end of the day, that's the way it is:
As so often with Kerosene, I have a kind of guilty pleasure and want more of it. Even if I will get strange looks again. Mea Culpa

Copper Amber
Copper Skies is a solemn and a bit gloomy, steampunky story about resinous-balsamic-oily (very beautiful!) warm spicy Amber with a metallic copper taste of cloves, a dark woods and a smoke of incenses.

Copper Coils
Scentrack:
Felix Kubin - Lumiere Belge

When I've tried CS for the first time I got instant headache. Luckily I was wiser next time, waited for colder weather and didn't got a kick in the head.
CS is a very peculiar scent. Big dose of amber mixed with tobacco, beeswax which reminded me of raw honey and some clove. This scent got nothing human to me. No warmth, no humanity in, like amber usually provides.
CS reminded me of something and then... Bingo... It reminds me of old machines. The smell of machine oil and copper coils. Of course John worked in some factory in States. Maybe this is the smell of old profession in his new perfume profession.
Although being an engineer I cannot wear CS, but I have admiration for it.

Avantgarde amber
Thick intriguing opening with sweet dark notes of tobacco, something like licorice sticks - rich, earthy, sweet, balsamic; something minty, anise, beeswax (basically a dry, caramelized-resinous honey note), amber, something “sugary”, but overall nothing really gourmand: the sweetness here is warm, dry, mature and dusty. Nothing sweetish, just “naturally” sweet. As much sweet as dark and warm, actually. Cloves are barely perceivable, which makes them perfectly pleasant, providing just a sharp touch of pungent spiciness. The juxtaposition of the warm sweetness of the tobacco-anisic-amber-licorice side with a fresh balsamic whiff of (I guess) basil and mint, and bright woody notes, makes Copper Skies irresistibly enjoyable to wear. All the coziest notes are here – balsamic stuff, amber, tobacco... Nothing groundbreaking perhaps, but so irresistible if you’re into these notes (and how you can you not be?). It’s “easy”, friendly, cozy, mellow, rich, somehow dark yet not discomforting or off-putting; and actually, like other reviewers note, I also get something slightly “mechanical” or industrial, but not in a (usual) “filthy” or harsh way; rather a subtle, smoky, pleasant, somehow medicinal and slightly sweet smell – something familiar and pleasant, a bit like the smell of gasoline many people seem to love. Less original and “daring” than one may think given the brand, but incredibly pleasant and nice to wear. Solid projection, perfect lasting. Remarkable!

8/10

Bellemorte
Who put the basil into the coffee?
Oh dear,
I like coffee very much -
I absolutely love amber -
tobacco leaves are nice -
cedar too is nice for me -
clove is notably absent -
and meanwhile I´m okay with a little whiff of honey.

BUT

Who came up with that crackpot idea to put basil into the coffee???

It really could have been a wonderful fragrance - I get kissed awake by a divine and authentic note of coffee the instant Copper Skies hits my wrist. A hint of honey takes away the bitterness of the black coffee beans and a subtly-tart touch of wood brings the fragrance to volume. After a little while the humid-brown, herbal scent of tobacco leaves adds another kind of sweetness to the fragrance without making it smell green or fresh and the balmy-resinous amber lends a dark vibrant depths to Copper Skies which melts the perfume to my skin.

I could dance with joy ...

...but for that ghastly green herbal Note. It´s there from soup to nuts and makes my nose want to crawl away :-(

Imagine some gentlemen sitting on a cedarwood table, puffing away on their pipes, a good steaming cup of fresh brewed coffee in front of them but the atmosphere is off ... Today no good old boys club feeling for them...
...cause no one cleaned the table or aired out the rooms after lunch and the stench of pasta with lots of fresh basil hovers about.

by K1
by K1

Popular Kerosene

Broken Theories by Kerosene Blackmail by Kerosene Unknown Pleasures by Kerosene Follow by Kerosene Summer of 84 by Kerosene Wood Haven by Kerosene Walk The Sea by Kerosene Fields of Rubus by Kerosene Black Vines by Kerosene Unforsaken by Kerosene R'oud Elements by Kerosene Santalum Slivers by Kerosene Pretty Machine by Kerosene Canfield Cedar by Kerosene Winter of 99 by Kerosene Dirty Flower Factory by Kerosene Whips and Roses by Kerosene Sacred Memory by Kerosene Sweetly Known by Kerosene Kindred by Kerosene