Original Musk Blend No. 1 2004

Original Musk Blend No. 1 by Kiehl's
Original Musk Blend No. 1 is a perfume by Kiehl's for women and men and was released in 2004. The scent is animal-floral. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Orange blossom
Heart Notes Heart NotesLily, Neroli, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Patchouli, Tonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 12.09.2020.

The scent was supposedly created for the first time in the 1920s according to the brand. It was followed by two re-releases in 1963 and 2004, although the latter is described as a modern interpretation of the Original Musk Oil.

Kiehl's Original Musk Blend No. 1 allegedly contains 92,8 % of Galaxolide. Galaxolide was an important musk substance during the 1970's and 1980's. It was not only used for perfume but also, i.e., for hair spray and washing powder. This has been problematic due to its poor biodegradability.

warm courtesy
It was 36°C outside today, in the evening it cooled down a bit, but the apartment is stuffy. A friend comes to visit. I hug her, sweat sticks to her skin. She smells kind of oily and pushy. It's a perfume that doesn't take up the whole room, but that immediately gets in your nose and stays there. What you taste on your tongue and follow and tickle over and over again.
The girlfriend is trying on a dress of mine. Her pelvis barely fits the narrow, black skirt. The white top nestles against her upper body. It radiates seriousness and sex appeal. And somehow... clean, despite this heat-stricken day.

Later I found out that she wears the original Musk von Kiehls. And I've learned: ah! That's that musk that everyone's always talking about! This is the balancing act between a dirty station toilet and a fragrant cashmere sweater. That actually exists.
So that was my first musk scent, which was "tame" enough that I liked it and bought it. I don't wear it much, I don't like it about me, it's too pleasing to me. However, I would always recommend it as a beginner musk scent. Also price-performance is simply super.
Dirty bitch
Dig in! Because my nose is really insensitive, I like clear scents! Forgive me for being completely unsuitable for a differentiated reproduction of the components. I see the matter in the same way as the evaluation of wines. A few great palates and noses in the world who work on great wineries or at Parker get a taste orgasm at a Romanee Conti or Petrus. Then there are those who also want to have such a palate or nose and the chatter. Most people and mass of consumers can not. Depending on the financial situation, however, the opinion of true connoisseurs and self-selected connoisseurs is followed. It is similar in the world of fragrances. Can't you see it here? So with the nuances, but better with the connoisseurs read here.
I can't find them myself Why am I writing a comment at all?
Well, Kiehls Musk I just find horny!
Clearly the musk! Not as stinging and synth like the Jovan Musk (which I also use), but warmer and more pleasant. Also goes down quickly in perception.
Whatever's good!
Because what then remains close to the body is then just dirty and horny and fuck me ...
Thats Sex, Drugs and Rock'n'Roll!
Definitely for a wild night with R and D and S. Right in that order! Comes naturally well with a jeans or leather jacket! So the person who hangs it up shouldn't be too bourgeois. And I don't care about the sex then.
So he's not an office either. Nothing for business lunches and nothing for the bingo round or the circle meeting of the AfD.
If you are at the political stage, the house plenum of an autonomous centre is certainly the place to feel good about the fragrance. When it's rotting all around, he'll lose his true destiny!
I really like him!
This is also a fragrance you can layern!
Come for me really nice with Pure Havane from Mugler!
So get in the Doc Martens!
If interested already "most complimented"!
Rock on and have fun!

Musky - warm animalic - floral
Fans of quintessential musk fragrances take note, this is a the definition of musk in its classic shape. A solid deer musky smell with brutal aspects in the opening, allies with warmth of ylang-ylang and a pale yet consistent presence of citrus notes. Original Musk is deeply floral but for the bulky volume of skanky divinity of musk all the elements are doomed submerge! Regardless to anything, the dry out is absolutely in the sky.
4/5

Nostalgia
Original Musk by Kiehl’s is a really nice soapy-indolic musk scent, rich and straightforward, with a palette of grey-dusty nuances on the base and a luscious, exotic touch of tonka: fairly “chypre-sque” to some extents, as it makes me think of the drydown of many classic (mostly feminine) scents – mostly for the juxtaposition of musk and flowers, and the overall feel of dusty, slightly moldy nostalgia. More soapy than animalic though, so personally I didn’t think of other heavier musk scents. Powerful yet not tacky, on the contrary much pleasant and even quite refined. I find it intense and compelling, fairly dark, much versatile if you are into musk-soapy blends – otherwise it may be soon exhausting given there’s not much else apart musk and some flowers. The evolution is there, though: still musky, but progressively dustier, drier, silkier, always pleasantly “retrò”. I am personally not a fan of musk and this type of scents, but this is really nice and clearly a quality fragrance, so well worthy a try if you’re into musk.

7/10

Forrest Gump
Florals, and kak, that bright yellow bowel motion of a fairly newborn breast fed baby. Okay, that's first impression out of the way. It's a bit soupy for a while; the baboon's bottom fights for ascendancy and loses out to soft lemony musks, which are still sexual and smell of a younger woman's natural state. I don't find it disagreeable at all, it's quite nice but I can't see an attachment forming. We doused ourselves in Houbigant in the late sixties, applied Mary Quant makeup, wore halter neck tops (without bra's) that were made of the softest lightest cottons, or muslins and discovered Procol Harem. There's no novelty in this, or animalic musks to me; I guess that's because so many young men back then were tradies, working in construction or in plumbing, gas fitting or roading. We were all quite animalic. Girls had challenges dealing with girl stuff and boys often smelled of creosote and perspiration. I am amused by MKK, Urban Musk or even this gentle soul. I've worn it for a couple of days thanks to a very friendly and informative sales assistant at Britomart. I'll be back, but not for Original Musk

LiliumLibido
On a lazy sunday morning...
Kiehl's musk is quite possible the best lazy casual fragrance currently still in production.
Just indolic and animalic enough to suggest the idea of skin that's not freshly showered but is generally clean and healthy, it still retains a slight soapy element without screaming "public bathroom cleanser agent", if you know what I mean.

If you've showered the night before, put on no fragrance for the night, and are still in bed cuddling with your lover past noon on a sunday, that's as close to Kiehl's Musk as you're ever going to smell. This scent is human, intimate and personal. It doesn't scream sex, it just lets you know that it is a possiblity, between the croissants and the newspaper, lol.
It's not a raw fauve smell. It's not a public shocker of overt raunch and rude hiney odors either.

It's a friendly scent that doesn't mind getting friendlier, lol.

scalp scent
I think this musk is bought mostly by Kiehl’s shoppers and not so much the perfume hobbyists. Too bad, because this stuff is wonderful. I have 3 musk-based fragrances: Serge Lutens’ Muscs Koublai Khan, Annick Goutal’s Musc Nomade, and Kiehl’s Original Musk Blend No 1 (edt.) I love them all. The Kiehl’s is a nice balance of skin-funk, florals and that sweetness of musk that seems fruity but isn’t. And while MKK is clearly the rawest of the bunch, Kiehl’s is the most skin-like in that it actually smells like your lover’s scalp.

A caveat. I don’t get much ‘dirty’ from most musk fragrances. I could be anosmic to that aspect of musk, or more likely I could just have a different chain of associations than some others do. Many musks have a bodily smell, but it’s largely clean. Not antiseptic. A clean body has a smell. Actually it has a bunch. But musk carries a skin sweetness that has none of the dirty, salty or acidic that I associate with old sweat or uncleanliness. Kiehl’s has more of this body aspect than either of the others to me. And it speaks to that simple intimacy of being physically close to somebody. This is not the scent for people who wear perfume as a masking fragrance.

Musk the way it should be
This is possibly one of the most delicious musks I've ever tried. Forget Narciso Rodriguez for Her, Kiehl's simplistic musk takes the cake.

Opening quite feminine and fragile on the skin, Kiehl's Original Musk is a mixture of soapy powder and delicate florals, with only a subtle spiciness underneath it all.

It's sexy in a very clean and crisp sense. I imagine it to be something you'd wear while curled up near a fire on a warm rug next to your lover who whispers sweet love poems into your ear. To put it in basic terms, Original Musk is sexy in a strict, conservative way, that tends to be more romantic than wild or exotic.

There's something somewhat animalistic about musk despite its clean and soapy feel. It blends perfectly with your own natural chemistry, making it very personal and inoffensive. I find it in some ways, highly addictive.

I can be anosmic to musk at times, however in the case of this fragrance, I was able to smell it throughout the duration it stayed on my skin, which was well over six hours.

I'm a little dubious to see this fragrance listed as a unisex fragrance, simply because it's so feminine and subtly sweet on my skin. However I won't rule a man wearing this out of my mind completely, because I haven't had the chance to smell this on a man's skin just yet.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 62 days ago
A rather clean and soapy, powdery floral-animalic Mid season fragrance, balanced by a gentle warm-earthy base. Unisex, linear and classic.
ItchynoseItchynose 20 months ago
Pungent animalic opening –cat with bladder issues– that quickly softens into feminine florals. Unsurprisingly musky.

by Thizhy
by Arlufkin
by Vawallpa
by Vawallpa

Popular Kiehl's

Vanilla & Cedarwood by Kiehl's Forest Rain by Kiehl's Nashi Blossom & Pink Grapefruit by Kiehl's Orange Flower & Lychee by Kiehl's Fig Leaf & Sage by Kiehl's Original Musk Oil / Musk 1921 by Kiehl's Vetiver & Black Tea by Kiehl's Patchouli & Fresh Rose by Kiehl's