Amber Oud (2012)

Amber Oud by Kilian
Bottle Design Carré Basset

Amber Oud is a popular perfume by Kilian for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is oriental-woody. It is still in production.

Calice Becker

Amber, Benzoin, Spices, Oud, Vanilla, Cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 22.03.2020.

Amber Oud by Kilian
So far the perfume of By kilian that I liked the most. Amber Oud is a resinous, woody, sweet and warm perfume, with a green touch at the beginning, which differentiates it from the rest and makes it extremely interesting.

From the beginning you feel amber and benzoin with a vaporous halo of vanilla, amazing, but at the beginning they are cushioned by a green and fresh sensation. I did not know the note of malagueta, but it has to be she who brings this freshness. This does not last more than 5 minutes and soon, a few nuances of precious amber and benzoin, wrapped in an almost dusty vanilla that oozes an extraordinary elegance, emerge in all its splendor. It is not a gourmand vanilla of current style, it is more, a semi-vanilla, sober and fine vanilla. The aroma gradually loses that dusty sensation and begins to appear woody nuances in the background, which are becoming sharp while the aroma is dying. The end is a very tame oud, nothing wild, westernized to the fullest, resinous, spicy, warm and velvety, with a benzoin and amber, dim, but notorious, of exceptional quality.

The duration has been about 8 hours or so, and its wake is rather moderate from the beginning, a tad more intense at the beginning, but not somewhat exaggerated. It is a warm and resinous perfume of cold or temperate climates and preferably nocturnal, but, for a cold winter morning it is also perfect.

I loved the perfume, but its price is an earthenware that obscures everything else, it is excessive and prohibitive, we go armed robbery. If you are interested, better go for the recharge that is much cheaper, but if you can afford it, go ahead, it is beautiful, to everyone else, better not to try it, because as you like, you are lost lol.

"Has little amber and no oud, but I still like it!"
... and everything that rhymes is good :) In fact, that's true in this case. As you know, there are many species of "amber" (whether Labdanum-vanilla mixtures, ambergris or other), and here it is clearly the first for me. In short, Amber Oud is for me a very pleasant vanilla fragrance for men, because he has just the right amount of scratchiness to be interesting.

I primarily perceive a slightly woody vanilla, no more, no less. A long time ago I had the need to test Labdanum fragrances, and there were many classics (e.g. MPG Ambre Precieux and the Ultime version), modern fine interpretations (e.g. Diors Mitzah), but also very dark, resinous representatives (e.g. SHL O Hira). In the end, I ended up with the first fragrance I tried in this direction, and that's Kilian's Amber Oud. Not complex, not complicated, not extraordinary, but simple: beautiful. And that's allowed to happen, especially if you test yourself from time to time through various obscure scents that are more works of art than wearable. After all these years, I still like it a lot.

My rating:

Joy: 30 of 30
Quality, depth, vitality: 20 of 30
Shelf life: 17 of 20
Portability: 10 of 10
Flacon, packaging, presentation: 9 of 10

Total: 86 of 100

Thatsmr2usir
Amber with an illusion of oud
I have had my sample for a long while & have used it on/off for sometime. So now that I am wearing it to bed, I decided to write a review. Kilian tires to create a nice Amber/Oud concoction since it seems as if the rest of the fragrance world is going into that direction.

I find that Amber Oud is made with good ingredients, & the presentation is nice as well. As far as the liquid is concerned, upon first spray I get this nasty cedar/oud combination with the slightest touch of Amber. I realized long ago that alot of Cedar can ruin a fragrance for me. Here it is no exception.

However, after about 5 minutes, the cedar calms down somewhat, & out comes the synthetic oud with amber. It appears that the oud & cedar are going head to head with the cedar dominating this show with the amber lurking in the background keeping the game somewhat sweet. I find that this composition could have done very well WITHOUT cedar since it is one of my least favorite notes.

The silage is modest & longevity on me is roughly 8 hours. I would not spend the asking price for this fragrance because I feel there are so many fragrances that do this type of thing better. On the flip side of things, it does have this classy vibe about it & I can see how many will find this appealing. If it was given to me, I'd wear it every now & a blue moon with a suit or dress like attire.

simplicity?
I love sweets, but there are times I would trade one of those stylized, mouthwatering desserts made from the kitchen full of component parts for a perfect croissant.

Plug-in whatever other $300+ perfume for the dessert, Amber Oud is the croissant. Forget that it costs the price of a ticket to Paris to get said ideal croissant, Amber Oud is the perfect combination, the ideal calibration of amber and oud (big amber, little oud) that makes me want to sniff myself all day. A croissant is the product of superb quality simple ingredients, understanding of the role of the ingredients and skill. All the bad croissants in the world tell you that simple doesn't mean easy. Ditto for AO. The problem is the price and my lust for more perfume. If I could afford Amber Oud I first have to make the Odyssey across the following dessert courses:

Histoires de Parfum: 1804, Petroleum and Noir Patchouli
Parfumerie Generale: Cuir d’Iris, Felania and Tubereuse Couture
Andy Tauer: Loretta, Carillon pour un Ange and l’Air du Désert Marocain
The entire line of les Nereides

None of these choices is slumming it. It's not as though I'd be taking a loaf of Wonder Bread instead of the croissant.

Set against this competition AO wouldn't stand a chance.

More amber then oud
Today a sample of amber oud came with te mail. A small present from Kilian.
When I spray it on I smell the dry scent from the oud, but only briefly.
The amber and vanilla are very prominent. This is a sweet woody scent, but oud? no.

SystemeD
Vanillic amber, but no oud
I was truly surprised by Amber Oud, because I actually expected oud. But instead, I got a very pretty amber, comprised of vanilla and benzoin with a dash of spice.

This amber is nicely balanced, and it smells like the base of a classic, well-crafted oriental. Perhaps that is the intention of this fragrance: you get the name "oud" on the bottle, so you're trendy without actually having to like oud.

But if you're expecting a deep, beautiful oud, as I was, look elsewhere. Like Montale.

OPomone 5 years ago
No oud in Amber Oud? Who cares?
It is nevertheless the sexiest veil a human skin can wear.
Hermesh 5 years ago
Warm, pleasant and cozy wood-amber combination. Oudy note can be smelled at best in the beginning. 'Amber Oud' meaning 'Amber Wood'?

by Heavenly85
by Sirchelios
by RobK
by RobK

Popular Kilian

Back to Black by Kilian Intoxicated by Kilian Black Phantom by Kilian Straight to Heaven by Kilian Straight to Heaven Extreme by Kilian Incense Oud by Kilian Rose Oud by Kilian A taste of Heaven by Kilian Apple Brandy by Kilian Single Malt by Kilian Love by Kilian Gold Knight by Kilian Cruel Intentions by Kilian Royal Leather by Kilian I Don't Need A Prince By My Side To Be A Princess by Kilian Rolling in Love by Kilian Moonlight in Heaven by Kilian Killing Me Slowly by Kilian Lemon in Zest by Kilian Sweet Redemption by Kilian