Back to Black Aphrodisiac 2009 Perfume

Back to Black Aphrodisiac (Perfume) by Kilian
Bottle Design Carré Basset
Back to Black Aphrodisiac (Perfume) is a popular perfume by Kilian for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is sweet-gourmand. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation

Calice Becker

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Raspberry, Camomile, Cardamom, Coriander, Nutmeg
Heart Notes Heart NotesOakmoss, Honey, Patchouli, Vetiver, Frankincense, Cedarwood
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Labdanum, Bourbon vanilla, Bitter almond

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 12.05.2021.

Back to Black is part of the collection "L'Oeuvre Noire".

Scent TOP, durability FLOP
Back to Black is the best honey scent there is.
The perfume suffers regrettably from massive performance problems and had to leave my collection because of it again.

This could be a batch issue. My bottle of 2020 has absolutely disappointed me, although my Refill Set of 2017 had a good performance

Eccentric Themed Honey Gingerbread
I confess this is an unusual fragrance. The notes of the scent are so mixed and crowded,like an ''ashura dessert''.

This is a fragrance I classified as extremely sweet-spicy masculine. I don't think it is unisex. Although it contains a dominant honey fragrance, I don't think it is feminine.

The note that determines the character of this perfume from the first moment to the last moment is 'honey'. Secondly, its most characteristic note is tobacco. Later; spices , saffron and 'gingerbread' are the notes that determine the real character of this scent.

I smelled some cherry and a little chamomile notes at the opening, but the notes of honey, tobacco and especially spice became prominent. Half an hour or 1 hour later, especially honey note and tobacco note dominated the smell. When the tobacco note became clear, it gave me a headache. My favorite feature of this fragrance is that you can also smell gingerbread in the top notes and heart notes. It's nice for me. Vanilla becomes clear in the base notes. Base notes have a fragrance accompanying vanilla: I think this is amber or labdanum.

Absolutely dark ,spicy, soft,gourmand, sweet, warm and unusual...

This fragrance seriously smells like an overly honey - gingerbread but a little spicy. It could be better if this scent was food instead of perfume(but it should not contain tobacco).

I could love it if it didn't contain tobacco.
Definitely a fragrance for winter or even cold days.
It can also be suitable for autumn evenings.

Lasted on my skin as a skin scent around 2+ days .

The Honey Shop
Now it's time for my first fragrance commentary.
But while I'm already typing here, holding the fragrance in my hand and sniffing it again and again, I ask myself why I dedicate this moment to him of all people.

Maybe because it reflects 100% of a thought process in my head which I hopefully can describe very well.
Well, here we go...

It is winter - mid December to be precise. The time of year when you meet up with friends at the Christmas market on weekends and stroll around.
Many fragrances find their way into your senses, from leathery and sweet to spicy and hearty. Also alcoholic notes of rum and mulled wine join in from time to time and all fragrances always embed themselves in a feeling of warmth, pleasure and conviviality.

So imagine you are walking across this one Christmas market and you have noticed all these smells. But one is missing. One is missing, but one notices it at least once at one place on the Christmas market.
And this is the small beekeeper's shop with all its beeswax candles and honey creations.

Kilian's Back to Black gives me a pretty accurate journey there. Whether the shop is physically present or not.
When you spray it on, you are immediately surrounded by a cloud of super delicious honey, subtle spicy notes from the spice stand next door scurry through the half-open door and give the whole thing in combination a nice warmth, which you don't want to give away on this cold day.
And yes vanilla is also present for me. I can well imagine that you can also mix a little vanilla into one or the other beeswax candle to round off the room fragrance.

In our meanwhile well-known honey shop one usually does not stay too long. And here we come also for me to the only difference. Back to Black stays and stays. And that very politely, until you ask him to leave :)

I now leave the shop after I have let myself be captured by all the fragrances and close the bottle.

As nice as the journey sounds, the scent is also wearing. But as often as one gets lost in a honey shop, as often I wear Back to Black. It should remain something special. Otherwise the trip will be no longer a fragrant experience, but an annoying affair, which one prefers to have with one: "Let's get another mulled wine! - gets rid of him ;-) ;-)

Could be better
The abundant honey and hint of chamomile are more reminiscent of tea at grandma's than late night booze, but some sour notes ruin it for me. Unfortunately i cant recommend buying this kilian... Doesn't work for me.
Mhhh honey cookies
Not sticky, but warm and sweet, like an evening on the sofa with a blanket and honey cookies.
They taste so good, slightly spicy and above all sweet and you never get enough.

Just about to test all Kilian But with this one I had hesitated because of the honey note. Then I immediately remembered a bad smell, which was also rated well by others (Amouage Journey Woman).
Anyway, I have tested this Kilian now after all and I'm glad about it.
I knew it the first time I sprayed it on!
It has depth and is not only sweet (has many other notes as well).
In any case, it does not smell kitschy sweet, but noble sweet. Like a cookie not like a biscuit One with honey foam and delicately spiced.
Almond, vanilla are also included, but in good doses.
Tastes great in any case.
One should not stuff oneself with it, but let the work of art melt on the tongue.

But I am also a gourmet, because although I like to snack, I am fussy.
Here I am served a harmonious honey cookie. That's deliciously sweet, but not only.
Honey let it Be(e)
A swarm of honeybees swarms out, and spreads its scent in its full range.

Definitely a fragrance for sunny winter months. The categorization as unisex is often referred to as "critical" in the forums. For me personally, unisex applies very well. The sweetness brings out the feminine and the tobacco note the masculine. A very beautiful and long lasting fragrance.

NEX5
Divine honey+ tea+ Tobacco.
Great perfume i do own vintage and reformulated bottles of it, i simply love it i use it for very special occassions only because kilian decide to up the price since it was bought by Estee Lauder , you must use and wear this scent for your self, its the best honey + tea + tobacco :)
for me!!!! :)
dont expect many compliments because most people will find it ordinary like a tea scent but some people will simply love it , performance projection vintage version on me around 24 hours
reformulated i have not tested yet because winter is not here yet.

Very high end niche quality , quality to the extreme vintage version, but i think even reformulated is still good since i have a spare bottle. You can smell every single ingredient .
Beloved tragedy
Wobbling cherries included of honey and light cigar smoke.

If a Lana Del Rey album were a fragrance, it would surely smell like this.

Lived and loved tragedy and melancholy. The fragrance makes me think of lost love, legendary evenings with friends and loved ones. The most wonderful girl I have ever met in my still young life, the mistakes I have made towards her, grief for people close to me and the happiest moments of my existence in one. I'm not just wearing this scent, no, I'm wearing a cloud of memories that won't go out until it disappears again.

Surely something that not everyone can wear. To be so sweet and gloomy in one is for many a toxic mixture, but it reminds me of... Me. Similar to Midnight in Paris, only that Midnight in Paris has a nice tongue and Back to Black is relentlessly honest.

I love the extremely feminine note in it, it makes it special and makes the whole construct seem so fragile but closed.

The Sillage is a good cloud that spreads strongly but not overwhelmingly. The shelf life is 8 hours+

I wish I could put into words what Back to Black is doing in me, but even the greatest poet wouldn't be able to do that.
My Winderdate
The Back to Black is my constant companion in winter every year. I like to wear it on weekends. Whenever you are together with family and friends on quiet evenings, warming up with a cup of tea and listening to each other's conversations
Exactly on such evenings, when I myself am a little reserved, rather listen than actively participate in the conversations and recover from the efforts of the working week, Kilian's Back to Black is always with me. He obviously shares my reserved nature, even if one clearly perceives his presence.

Evenly and consistently it radiates its light, honey-sweet scent, underpinned by woods and fragrant spices, and nestles close to me. The light honey and vanilla note lets me relax, while the woods and spices, especially the frankincense, warm and keep me warm.

He occasionally shows himself to his fellow men, but remains at my side. After a few hours he gets tired and slowly slips into a quiet, dreamless sleep, only to be woken up by me on another evening for a few hours of togetherness.
1:1 Comparison Back to Black with H-100 Anniversary
Well you know me slowly - I love scent comparisons ;-P
Back to Black and Jubilée are great for a comparison, because they are really very similar ;-)

....Let's go, left the anniversary and right the B2B:

--> Jubilée starts spicy and slightly resinous with "shy" honey - a short bitterness or a light scratching is noticeable - but that only takes a few seconds and I like that somehow very much, that's the character of Jubilée ;-P
After that the "shy" honey becomes really brave! The honey has the colleagues "caramel", which is absolutely fine and not sticky, the colleague saffron, which is slightly restrained and very filigree, the dear Tonka bean and the friend vanilla in tow...
A great troop, I think... they harmonize absolutely perfectly with each other.... Jubilée is "honeyy- sweet," yet absolutely non-sticky and not edible..... An absolutely round thing, very high-quality ingredients and wonderfully processed together......
The listed Oud is hardly recognizable for me, at most very fine to guess and with cedar together responsible for the great hold....
Fragrance: 9,5
Shelf life: 9,0
Sillage: 8,0
Flacon: 9,0 (for the limited collector's flacon ;-)

--> The B2B starts without scratching or biting... One immediately recognizes a tender sweet honey melt with strong character..... the honey is accompanied by a warm chamomile, tender fruity raspberry and some spices, which do not speil however all too long with the honey.....
....The honey moves on.... down the cellar, from there it takes some oakmoss, cedar and incense with it.... He has a lot of fun with them.... The honey becomes more interesting, a slightly earthy component brings the oak moss, the cedar provides a stable soil and incense envelops the quite round composition.... A little bit of vertiver can also be seen from time to time, but really very discreetly..... B2B is now a slightly earthy-smoky honey composition, very warm, tenderly melting, sweet and strong... I like that very much...
Later, warm golden amber and a fine portion of vanilla are added to this....
Compared to Jubilée it is a lot sweeter, earthier and for me a bit "artificial-synthetic"......
Fragrance: 8
Shelf life: 7.0 to 7.5 (at cold temperatures probably better than at heat)
Sillage: 8,0
Flacon: 9,0

In summary, both - if you like honey - are really dreamlike.... We personally like the anniversary better because it is a little more unconventional and edgier than the B2B.
B2B seems to me slightly synthetic to what means for me a point deduction.

Highly recommended for honey mouth :)

Well then.... happy licking ;-P

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 7 months ago
A slightly earthy, yet warm and smooth powdery/sweet oriental Gourmand, balanced by a juicy spicy-fruity opening. Clean honey-almond combo!
TRehfTRehf 9 months ago
More sweet honey than dark tobacco. A bit powdery, fruity. Delicious, elegant, sexy. Unisex but younger. Longevity 8h. Evenings only.
CatarinaCatarina 1 year ago
My passion for sweet dark perfumes makes me like this fragrance without questioning it a lot. Its ambery frame is fabulous!
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
4.5
LexaLexa 4 years ago
Cherry-honey-tobacco.A perfume for a Hennessy cognac lover *blink*
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Delicious cheerful honey note, interspersed with subtle tangy accent that leaves melancholy aftertaste. Pretty fine.

by EauMySoul
by DanyPereyra
by Tiho
by Tiho

Popular Kilian

Angels' Share by Kilian Intoxicated by Kilian Straight to Heaven Extreme by Kilian Black Phantom Memento Mori by Kilian Single Malt London by Kilian Straight to Heaven White Cristal (Perfume) by Kilian Apple Brandy New York by Kilian Rose Oud by Kilian Love Don't Be Shy (Perfume) by Kilian Incense Oud by Kilian Rolling in Love by Kilian A Taste of Heaven Absinthe Verte (Perfume) by Kilian Gold Knight by Kilian Amber Oud by Kilian Love Don't Be Shy Extreme by Kilian I Don't Need A Prince By My Side To Be A Princess by Kilian Moonlight in Heaven by Kilian Lemon in Zest Lugano by Kilian Dark Lord Ex Tenebris Lux by Kilian Cruel Intentions Tempt Me (Perfume) by Kilian