Back to Black (2009)

Back to Black by Kilian
Bottle Design: Carré Basset

Back to Black is a popular perfume by Kilian for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is sweet-gourmand. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Calice Becker

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Raspberry, Chamomile, Cardamom, Coriander, Nutmeg
Heart Notes Heart NotesOakmoss, Honey, Patchouli, Vetiver, Frankincense, Cedarwood
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Labdanum, Bourbon vanilla, Bitter almond

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.05.2019

Back to Black is part of the collection "L'Oeuvre Noire".

8.0 8.0 10.0 9.0/10

Cuddly Honey-Smalliser
A small filling of this fragrance I have been lying here for quite some time and I have tested it several times. Now for the coming autumn and suitable for the dark season a few lines from me.
Kilian is an interesting brand, even if it is less my price range. Nevertheless, especially this Back to black I wanted to test. The name, the fragrance pyramid, the comments here. The price is the only deterrent. Even a small filling was not cheap.

The prices for 50ml are from 200 Euro upwards. Already very steep for 50ml. I haven't found a bigger size. There is a mini bottle with 3 small refills of 7.5ml each. But then you don't have this beautiful bottle.
The bottle is like all Kilian's very valuable. The processing, the label, the writing. Everything extremely chic and noble.

On the bottle there is aphrodisiac, which is true here. The fragrance is from the first moment on extremely high quality.
There's no sheet music here that's bare. The composition harmonizes from the first moment on and I don't find anything really disturbing here. The star of the composition is clearly honey. Not as sticky sweet as real ordinary honey, but very sweetish noble with a high cuddling factor. In addition there are spicy and gourmand notes. Beautiful nutmeg and cardamom are also present here and provide a great spice, which goes well with the honey and gourmand notes. Here the spices fit well and are not too killing. Just like the vanilla and the honey. Even if it is a heavy fragrance, it is not too heavy and too killing. There are many sweet and spicy bombs like Tobacco Vanilla, which are simply too much and rather cause headaches. Not here. The Sillage is also perfect and envelops the wearer well in the colder months of the year. As far as the performance is concerned it is top anyway. The durability is in the two-digit range, which one must expect with this price also.
All in all a fragrance that I can highly recommend. The unisex category is also totally justified. A fragrance that comes in handy at cold temperatures during leisure time, in the evening and for nocturnal activities. Since he is very cuddly and sensual is also a great date scent.
The only drawback is the price. But worth more money, especially since it is very unique and gives few comparable twins and similar scents. This investment would definitely not be money thrown out.
9.0/10

and yet
not
there.

~ Life is Like a Pipe ~
~ I have always admired a fellow gentleman who smokes a pipe especially one with the sillage of sophisticated cherry tobacco aroma in the air. As a nonsmoker my initial impression of BtB allows me to share that very same mental image in my mind and in reality on my wrist. I easily evoke myself in a high back chair in my own private library with it's well polished shelves and classic leather bound books. This is a fresh out of the pouch opening dab of raspberry and saffron followed by a long lasting perfectly sweet honey and smooth tobacco that I puff on for many enjoyable hours as I read chapters from Dickens or Hemingway. I find this more of a comfort scent than an aphrodisiac perhaps a seduction scent for the mind only? If this is genuinely inspired by or a tribute to the late Amy Winehouse song "Back to Black" then it is very fittingly so. "....And life is like a pipe. And I'm a tiny penny rolling up the walls inside"
Kind Regards, Plat ~
7.5 10.0 9.0/10

SOFT ANGEL
?nitial spray; I get raspberry and tobacco honey mix.For me this is not feminine at all and sensually very effective.At a certain point it really deserves the l'aphrodisiac name.After a while there is powdery smell in a good way.it is not as heavy as tobacco vanille and more appropriate even for daily use.Till now, it is the only creation of Kilian that I really respect and like.Usually tobacco honey mixes are very heavy , but for this one, it is like a soft angels touch.
10.0/10

"I Need You Like A Drug"
Highly addictive I kept applying a bit on my wrist .. just to smell it!!
...stealing private "scentual" moments to myself .. while riding the bus...!
To breakdown and pin point all of this fragrance's complicated notes
belittles it somehow....

but this is my impression...

fruity at first ...
Raspberries ..a touch of honeydew melon...
then it settles to a sweet candy ...could that be the honey and the olibanum, everybody mentions...
settling in a combo of ...
vanilla,amber and light tobacco.

To quote Claudia
from Interview with the Vampire
"I want some more!"

Yourfoxiness
Fb worthy for classy gourmand lovers
I first was able to test a vial of Back to Black, and despite the little dabs I was able to get, it went straight to the top of my want list. A year or so later, and I'm happy with my purchase! On a quick side note, I love the fact that you can buy a sturdy purse spray, and then use any Kilian refills you want in it. Very convenient for me, as i love to carry fragrance with me. Now for the scent. I'm getting to be picky about sweet scents, having owned far too many of them before finding better things were out there. This, will stay in rotation as my sexy night out fragrance! Cured pipe tobacco, wild honey (I mean real, spicy, wild honey!), juicy, tart berries, and then the fragrance goes into dark territory.. Here lie the woods, resins, & incense, the dark heart of a fragrance that could have gone sticky & syrupy. This is not for wallflowers! Back to Black is without doubt a sensual fragrance, people tend to want to follow it, and you will be noticed wearing it! Is no groundbreaker, true. But for those who will buy what they love, love for me is sweet, sensual, Back to Black!
8.0/10

Honeyed Tobacco...
Very nice fragrance that opens with a hint of chocolate. From the brief chocolate opening, it quickly transitions to a very natural smelling tobacco and honey combo that is quite nice and is on par with the also excellent Tobacco Vanille from Tom Ford. Longevity is only average, so with a price as high as this one, you will need to decide if it is worth emptying your wallet for. As far as the scent goes, I like it... a lot. 4 stars out of 5.
9.0/10

Awesomeness
If for only longevity ...
Absolutely incredible fragrance! If only the longevity matched this wonderful scent.

I adore this slightly fruity, slighty sweet tobacco scent, which I received in a Kilian sample pack. It's a dark fragrance which is perfect for evenings and fall wear. Definitely NOT in the mold of mass market fragrances or in the mold of modern rose (of which Kilian's Dangerous Liaisons is one that I love & own).

Even with longevity that falls short of its price tag, Back to Black just shot to the top of my full-bottle wishlist, and maybe Santa will get it for me this year. Until then, I am wearing JDP's In Black which a cherry-tobacco fragrance that is similar to Back in Black. Although the JDP is not as good as the Kilian, it's only about 1/10 of the price of the Kilian on a per ml basis. For now, JDP will do ... at least until Santa comes. :)
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

What Christine Nagel's In Black Might Have Been
By the drydown, By Kilian BACK TO BLACK seems closer to Jesus del Pozo IN BLACK than it does to Tom Ford TOBACCO VANILLE (to which some people are comparing it). Well, except that the ingredients used in this composition are of significantly higher quality than those used in IN BLACK...

Initially the tobacco and honey notes see very dominant, but the saffron is also conspiring with the olibanum and woods to produce an odd rubbery myrrh-like facet. This aspect becomes more pronounced as the perfume dries down, and eventually reaches the point of reminding me of IN BLACK.

I realize that this may smack of heresy, given that Jesus del Pozo is something of a low-brow juice factory, while By Kilian is one of the hoitiest and toitiest of niche houses. However, it's important to bear in mind that Jesus del Pozo does enlist the services of good perfumers: Christine Nagel designed IN BLACK, and had she been afforded a "sky is the limit" ingredients budget, her creation would have been every bit as good as this one by Calice Becker.
10.0 10.0 7.5 9.0/10

Spicy gourmand perfection
Swoon. The initial blast of this is just unbelievably good. Back to Black is a heavenly spicy/smokey gourmand fragrance in the vein of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille and Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque, a genre I admit to loving.

Of the three, Back to Black is most definitely my favorite. I also find Back to Black to be the most feminine of the group (although certainly still unisex). The top notes are particulary delicious. Although I don't see any flowers listed, I get a bit of a floral feel here (maybe the bergamot?) along with jammy fruits, honey and spices. It truly smells good enough to eat.

Supporting the delectable top notes are the classic oriental perfume ingredients of amber and vanilla. Bitter almond provides a nice twist on this classic formula, adding a subtle powdery sweet note. Patchouli makes an appearance as well, and when combined with the fruits, adds an element reminiscent of modern fruity chypres such as Badgley Mishka. Back to Black pretty much takes the best aspects from several perfumes I admire and rolls them into one fabulous, well-blended fragrance.

Since this is frequently compared to Tobacco Vanille, and having a decant of Tobacco Vanille, I thought it might be interesting to compare them side by side. At first spray, I find Back to Black to be more honeyed fruit and amber and Tobacco Vanille more of a boozy vanilla. Both have that smokey element, but Tobacco Vanille is more in your face about it. Tobacco Vanille is also more blatantly spicy and stronger in general. Back to Black just feels softer and more nuanced. I also find Back to Black to have more layers of development (as I've descibed above) than Tobacco Vanille. Tobacco Vanille is pretty much just what it says it is, a smoky vanilla, and the aroma of Tobacco Vanille remains very stable throughout the life of the scent. On the plus side for Tobacco Vanilla, it's sillage and longevity are superior to Back to Black. If you're looking for bang for your buck (ok, lots of bucks), Tobacco Vanille wins hands down.

Unfortunately, I do not have any left of my sample of Fumerie Turque, so I can't compare that directly to Back to Black. I'm fairly certain, though, that I would find Fumerie Turque smokier and more leathery than Back to Black. No doubt, because of that, I view Fumerie Turque as more masculine than both Tobacco Vanille and certainly Back to Black. It would probably be my first choice for a man.

For me, Back to Black is the ultimate spicy gourmand and destined to become one of my very favorite perfumes

Lexa 2 years ago
Cherry-honey-tobacco.A perfume for a Hennessy cognac lover *blink*+1
Hermesh 3 years ago
Delicious cheerful honey note, interspersed with subtle tangy accent that leaves melancholy aftertaste. Pretty fine.+1
6.0

by Sashlic
by Thecombad
by Thecombad

Popular Kilian

Back to Black by Kilian A taste of Heaven by Kilian Straight to Heaven by Kilian Love by Kilian Liaisons Dangereuses by Kilian Cruel Intentions by Kilian Rose Oud by Kilian Amber Oud by Kilian Sweet Redemption by Kilian Incense Oud by Kilian Intoxicated by Kilian Good girl gone Bad by Kilian Black Phantom by Kilian Bamboo Harmony by Kilian Beyond Love by Kilian Sacred Wood by Kilian Love and Tears by Kilian Moonlight in Heaven by Kilian Water Calligraphy by Kilian Prelude to Love by Kilian