Black Phantom Memento Mori 2017

Black Phantom Memento Mori by Kilian
Bottle Design Carré Basset
Black Phantom Memento Mori is a popular perfume by Kilian for women and men and was released in 2017. The scent is gourmand-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Coffee, Caribbean rum, Java vetiver, Sugar cane, Sandalwood

Submitted by Danina, last update on 15.01.2021.

Ptsau
The best boozy coffee fragrance! So Kilian!
Love Black Phantom. I can say I’m addicted to it. It is boozy, dark, warm and gourmandy sweet. It feels so thick with the coffee and rum notes are very prominent. It is not a loud fragrance as I think Kilian’s DNA is meant to be more subdued but people still can smell me within my arm length. It last long, 10+ hours on my skin. It worths every penny. Must try for someone who likes boozy, gourmand, dark, unisex, and subdue fragrances.
Black Winter sponsored by Kilian
Those who know Kilian know that their fragrances are characterized by high performance and durability. Black Phantom stands out from these fragrances, with almost unbelievable durability and radiance!

When I applied the fragrance at the perfumery at noon, it was still perceptible on the skin 8 hours later. On clothes it lasts forever!
Tested on a cotton sweater, where the scent is still clearly noticeable 1 week later. Insanity!

Kilian has created a true "Black Phantom" with the dark fragrances. Only that behind this phantom a true monster is hidden!

That almost sounds like the ideal scent now, doesn't it? Unfortunately not quite....
Black Phantom has the same problem as other Kilian's. The scents are sometimes so intense, even offensive that they can't be used in many different ways.
This further restricts the range of applications of the Black Phantom. It is a fragrance that should only, and I repeat, only be used in winter! At all temperatures well over 10 degrees, I would not get the idea to apply it. But if you really want to attract attention, you can also try it here. Everything at your own risk ;)

For evening occasions in winter it is a good option if you want to stand out. But I can't wear it that often myself, because it can be a pain in the neck due to its intensity. Black Phantom is more of a fragrance that you apply on very specific occasions and then it fits perfectly.

Conclusion: Kilian is special, Kilian is niche, Kilian is different! Correctly dosed and used, this fragrance is unmistakable

Razvanyke
What a tasty smell .. can´t have enough of it.
I am a lucky owner of this perfume, I got the set with the skull clutch which is so high quality to match the price for the perfume.

When I tried the first sniff on my wrist I got a strong coffee, boozy, sweet smell .. which sticks to the skin and stays there.

I do not know how the Kilian house managed to make the caramel sugar into a scent note but they did it. Adding to that there is a dark rum note, together with some really aromatic coffee. I would say it is similar to maybe a really well done latte with cinnamon and caramel ?

I have many perfumes already in the collection but this is my first to reach almost all the time, even before going to bed.

The refillable flacon is also very nice, I can buy a 50ml refill then new perfume to go and the bottle is not disposable like for other perfumes.

Smell : total 10
Longevity: 10 .. it does last a long time.
Sillage: 9
Bottle and packaging: 10

....... Later edit 5 Nov 2020......

Believe the hype!
I am very lucky to have all the desired perfumes so far (Naxos next) and from my whole list of superstar perfumes, this little one comes always the first. Recently I use a spray even before sleep, the smell is addictive I tell you.

Waking up to this sweet, caramel scent is one fabulous experience .. I do hope that Kilian keeps making this masterpiece in the same way. I will buy for safety a few refills to be on the safe side, in case this gets reformulated, heads will fall.

The longevity is absolutely monstrous, on my t-shirt does not go away, simply stays there. And on the skin, it is minimum 10+ hours.

Swedish Coffee - or simply Fika
When I left to travel Scandinavia by train it was cold Actually not exactly the right weather to cucumber through the north with a backpack, but tropical beaches and beach facilities were unfortunately never my preferred destinations Before it started I dug out my new acquisition of Kilian and sprayed.
Not 1x not 2x no, whole 4 times. A mistake as it turned out, because the compartments I spent the next 12 hours in were suddenly all astonishingly well ventilated after a while Despite the freezing cold outside. But my fellow passengers didn't say a word about my obtrusive smell, only some glances stuck to me from time to time. Friendliness definitely looked different.

But I didn't feel uncomfortable. The aura that Black Phantom exudes is simply bewitchingly beautiful and invites you to feel good, as long as you are not too sensitive and do not overdose.

The coffret with the skull and the name Black Phantom I have not understood until today, this fragrance has nothing deadly or phantom-like.
This thing isn't a black espresso or anything cloudy in the dark.
No hospital staff coffee to make the unfortunate half-dead nurses from the late shift fit again for the early shift.
Just a normal coffee to go,with a nice shot of rum and lots of sugar syrup.
Personally, I like him best the first 1-3 hours Nice boozy coffee, a fragrance that warms the whole body in the cold evenings.
It becomes problematic for my feeling out the back.
The fragrance has a monstrous durability, unfortunately, in the end only sweetness remains with me.
Something like syrup that really pulls and unfortunately on some days (as beautiful as it is and as much as I love it) it gets a bit intrusive/ exhausting.

"Memento Mori"
Notes: Rum, Coffee, Caramel, Dark Chocolate, Sandalwood and Sugar Cane

Perfumer: Sidonie Lancesseur

Intoxicating Fragrance. Luxurious, Sophisticated, delicious, and Sexy

Black Phantom opens with that delicious Caramel, Vanilla, Rum and roasted Coffee beans accord. Opening is just deliciously sweet, my nose was glued to my wrist for a good amount of time. I also detect a nutty and a bit salty accord of almond or maybe peanuts. Near the drydown the sweetness goes away and I start to get that creamy Sandalwood with Heliotrope. This will project for the first couple of hours and lasted on me the whole day.

"Memento Mori"

TRehf
Kilians best? Kilians Best!
Background story:

Around Christmas, I was in Munich on a shopping tour. I went to a parfumery to try a few fragrances that I had on my (try-)list and which are usually not easily accessible where I live. On this list happened to be two fragrances from the house of Kilian as well: Back to Black and Black Phantom. After already trying a number of different fragrances, I finally put my nose on both Kilian fragrances and actually, I liked Back to black from the first second that I smelled it (and decided to buy it soon) but I wasn’t so sure about Black Phantom. Nevertheless, Black Phantom aroused my interest, so I sprayed it on the back of my hand and let the magic begin.
The scent on the back of my hand always kept me smelling it again and again. I was intrigued by the complexity of the fragrance. Notes are easily distinguishable while the whole blend is still very smooth (which may sound odd). I love it and as time went by it even surpassed Back to Black when it comes to my favorite fragrances.

Things about Black Phantom that in my mind:

- Rich, Sweet, Dark, boozy, sexy, delicious, chocolate, caramel, coffee, almond
-autumn and winter time, preferred evenings
-special occasion only, too pity for daily wear
-3-4 sprays
-if you like gourmands, definitely give it a try
-smells much better on skin than on paper, give it a chance to grow on you

Scent:

-starts off as a coffee with rum and caramel syrup, „cyanide“-note from the almond is definitely there but very much in the background
-Chocolate starts to become more present during the dry down, rum and caramel become less present

Subjective Rating:
It’s not only my favorite Kilian but also my favorite gourmand scent.
10/10

Objective rating:
I see people loving this if they have a sweet tooth and/or generally like gourmands. Although the scent never turns too overly sweet in my opinion, if you cannot stand sweet scents, this one (and the Kilian house in general) is probably not the right one for you.
8.5/10

Longevity:
Longevity is not overly impressive for a sweet gourmand but still in the 8h range on my skin.
8/10 (1p per Hour)

Sillage:
The scent bubble around you is intimate but strong. Scent leaves a nice trail. Projects for 4h.
8/10 (1p per 30min)

Bottle/packaging:
In my opinion are Kilian packagings (casket) the best on the market, especially the box of Black Phantom with the skull on top. It is a matter of taste, if you like the skull design. There is nothing that reaches similar values when it comes to packaging in my opinion. Bottle design is excellent as well. Big thumbs up for the eco-friendly refillable bottles.
10/10

Black Phantom (@Nose.Knows.No.Notes)
• By Kilian Black Phantom •

By Kilian (or is it Kilian Paris now?) has been recommended to me plenty of times, so in one of my first sample orders I included Black Phantom...I didn't like it, but given the status it had, I waited a while to give it another shot.

Based on the notes, I should love this, but my perception of this fragrance steers quite a bit away from what the listed notes suggest (in the first hour). I get a lot of the sweetness, the caramel, the rum, but I also get a hint of green, a bit of saltiness and most of all, liquorice. Almost like salmiak. What I unfortunately don't get as much as others seem to get, is the coffee note. The opening is reminiscent of Carner's Ambar Del Sur for me. I wouldn't say the scent is bad at all, but I don't really love it and because it projects really strong, it starts to border on being unpleasant after a while.

The drydown is where this fragrance is starting to win me over. The sweetness starts to tone down a bit (as well as the projection), the booziness remains and is in my opinion the best part of the scent. The green and salty bits that I picked up on, completely disappear, and in place, there's nuts (almond and heliotrope) and creamy sandalwood. The fragrance becomes much more cozy to me and turns into something akin to a sweet pastry, next to a cup of instant caramel coffee (usually those kinds of drinks barely taste like coffee, so no, I don't get more coffee in the drydown). By this point, this comes closer to a rum injected Maison Francis Kurkdjian's Grand Soir, which I absolutely love. The liquorice-esque scent lingers around for a while, but it's not as strong as in the opening.

Longevity is really good, although by the time it turns into a real skin scent, most of the depth and complexity is gone and I get more of a generic sweetness. Overall, I'm not fully sold on the first hour of the wear, but I 'get' it now. Would I be inclined to run out to get a bottle...There are a couple of gourmands high on my wishlist, like Grand Soir and Lubin's Korrigan, which also has a nice booziness. I think Black Phantom isn't ready to skip the line yet, but it definitely made the ever-growing list •

Please follow my IG @Nose.Knows.No.Notes for more reviews and fragrance photography.
Burak28
A fragrance to attract attention
For those who like to stand out from the crowd and attract attention, I can only recommend this fragrance. But really only something for the cold season.
But I must also mention that this fragrance does not only evoke positive feedback, as it is very special and rather polarizing - perfect for self-confident fragrance lovers.
AnjaTom
A coffee with Kilian... or the Black Phantom!
Throw Nespresso at half past six tomorrow and make your first morning coffee, a ritual, a MUST!
Sprinkle on the sweet-gourmandy coffee shortly before leaving the house!
*Autumn/Winter, below 5 degrees, perfectly dressed. Let's go.

No matter what the morning routine for each individual looks like, Black Phantom can refine any morning routine.
A feel-good fragrance, in which fortunately no fragrances are used at all that let the fragrance appear "old" or "oldshool". Lavender is in many combinations for me such a case.
Black Phantom starts with coffee, initially a bit harsh, but with increasing DD go in the coffee-toffee direction. Wonderful! For me along with Intoxicated one of the finest coffee scents on the market.
Intoxicated rather goes in a fresh-coffee direction, while BP here clearly remains sweetish caramel.
Although they are both coffee scents, they can exist in a collection at the same time because of their big differences.
Black Phantom is clearly seasonally settled in winter/autumn, whereas Intoxicated is even suitable for almost summer/ late summer (there is also worse weather).

There are certainly fragrances that have more "progression" than BP, but it is by far anything but linear. It has a nice development over the first 3-4 hours.
No matter how dressed I find the BP to match almost any outfit and age! But he's totally unique!
And I'll be honest, I just like that!
The durability reaches on my skin far beyond the 10 hours mark, Sillage is violent in the first hour, but then flattens into a Very pleasant unobtrusive aura!

For me BP is one of the youngest and with one of the best Kilians there is!
Surely worth a test, a special gourmand for special occasions or für´s Everyday!
As you wish!

With Peter on cloud 7
I've rarely found a perfume name as inappropriate as this one. Black Phantom reflects a lot of things for me and stimulates some fantasies, how such a fragrance could smell if you only know the name. Kilian already has a name in his repertoire for this fragrance in my eyes: Straight To Heaven. Because exactly there I was promoted directly after the first 3 sprays. What did I feel wrapped in a cloud of fatt, soft cappuccino. Freshly made, a little cocoa powder on top of the foam. A small splash of the finest rum, covered with a dash of vanilla/caramel syrup. I perceive every smallest nuance and every smallest nuance must be exactly the same as it appears in this fragrance. The rum note is so subtle and soft, if I drank it I would estimate it to be at least 25 years old. I feel a sense of well-being like I've never felt perfumed before. So there it is, my personal scent for special evenings during the cooler season.
Black Phantom was a blind buy. However, the price was so outrageously "cheap" that I could not say no. And fortunately, I did.

The Sillage is quite good, perceptible by others but not intrusive. And you yourself get something out of it after a good 8 hours.

BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 month ago
Boozy (rum), dark (coffee and cacao), a bit sweet (sugar cane), spicy scent. It gets creamy in the drydown with sandalwood. Average scent.
MariaSMariaS 2 months ago
walking into a room full of pirates who smoke cigars drink rum and vanilla sticks are burnt. Dry down too sweet but mesmerising.
GreMuserGreMuser 2 months ago
Pure sugar, really sweet, similar vibes of Replica's By The Fireplace, that I really don't like.
TeleraTelera 4 months ago
Es recomendable pulverizar solo un par de veces. Buen olor y sillage pero bastante lineal.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 5 months ago
A slightly spicy, yet boozy-sweet Winter Gourmand, balanced by a warm creamy-woody base. Nice coffee, chocolate and rum combo! Male-oriented
ToptTopt 5 months ago
sweet coffee, dont get any rum but absolutely beautifull
BumpyumaBumpyuma 12 months ago
Smells good - I love it!
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 2 years ago
Rhum, cocoa, coffee and creamy notes... A grandma's cake in every spray!
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
Never thought I could dislike a scent featuring rum and sugar cane. I was wrong. This is just bitter coffee and sandalwood. Disappointing.
YosYos 2 years ago
4.5
Good performance but bad smell. I wanted to like it but it's honestly not good to me.

by GilAroma
by Emorandeira
by Tiho
by Tiho

Popular Kilian

Intoxicated by Kilian Angels' Share by Kilian Straight to Heaven Extreme by Kilian Back to Black Aphrodisiac (Perfume) by Kilian Single Malt London by Kilian Straight to Heaven White Cristal (Perfume) by Kilian Rose Oud by Kilian Incense Oud by Kilian A Taste of Heaven Absinthe Verte (Perfume) by Kilian Amber Oud by Kilian Apple Brandy New York by Kilian Gold Knight by Kilian Love Don't Be Shy (Perfume) by Kilian Rolling in Love by Kilian Lemon in Zest Lugano by Kilian Moonlight in Heaven by Kilian I Don't Need A Prince By My Side To Be A Princess by Kilian Cruel Intentions Tempt Me (Perfume) by Kilian Sweet Redemption The End (Perfume) by Kilian Love the way you Taste by Kilian