Forbidden Games (2012)

Forbidden Games by Kilian
Bottle Design: Carré Basset

Forbidden Games is a perfume by Kilian for women and was released in 2012. The scent is fruity-sweet. It is still in production.

Calice Becker

Top Notes Top NotesApple, Peach, Plum, Cinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Jasmine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesHoney, Opoponax, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 10.10.2019

too schweet
The Saks online shop sums up this perfume with one great descriptor: potpourri. This is a mix of apples, peaches, plums, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. It works great if it were a candle or a room freshener; but I do not feel like it was meant on my skin. For a fruity perfume, the longevity is great--about 7-8 hours. But I don't want to smell like a tart warmer.
6.0/10

Niche Nelly Apple Bottoms?
Earlier today, PBFriend mentioned in a review that there are some houses she just "doesn't get". In my case, the big fat question mark is nearly always hovering above the house of Kilian, or is it "By Kilian"--not sure whether they finally realized that the preposition was a silly idea and have omitted it permanently from the name, or only from the sample set folio of the "In the Garden of Good and Evil" collection. Perhaps they were testing the waters: all other things kept the same (type of rhetoric, etc.) do consumers buy more perfumes from houses whose names are not preceded by prepositions? Honestly, I sometimes wonder, believe it or not, whether (by) Kilian might be an elaborate marketing experiment being conducted by the gurus at LVMH. Perhaps you think that I jest.

My first issue with this house is the radical chasm spanning their hyperbolic pseudo-erotic texts and symbolism and the incredibly genteel and polite quality of their compositions. FORBIDDEN GAMES offers yet another example of what I'm talking about. Here is the marketing text for this perfume:

...
"When going beyond the boundaries has never been so exciting and dangerously attractive."
...

Let's see: what boundaries would those be? I ask because, to my nose, this perfume smells an awful lot like Nelly APPLE BOTTOMS: a sweet apple blossom in a clean resinous musky base with a few embellishments thrown in, but overall a high-quality fruity-floral fragrance. So naturally my first reaction upon donning FORBIDDEN GAMES was: what is supposed to be "forbidden" here? According to a well-known folk adage, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away." So apples are healthy. Why would they be forbidden?

The only sense which I have been able to make of this involves a possible biblical allusion to the Garden of Eden, and the temptation to bite into the apple which led to--or was it constitutive of?--The Fall. That is a coherent interpretation, to be sure, but I still find that the quality of this fruity-floral fragrance is so innocent and juvenile that it is very difficult to associate it with any form of vice, least of all those of the "adult" kind.

In fact, it's not even possible to commit the sin of gluttony in the case of apples, because they contain so much water and fiber, that it's not humanly possible to exceed one's RDA of calories through overindulging.

Am I giving (by) Kilian too much credit here? Perhaps. This is an apple blossom perfume, and I believe that in a blind side-by-side test with Nelly APPLE BOTTOMS there are few people who would be able to pick out the haute niche from the mainstream offering. The quality seems very similar to me.

I did not want to rush to judgment on this matter, so after donning FORBIDDEN GAMES this morning, I decided to dig out my small bottle of APPLE BOTTOMS. I haven't worn that perfume since I reviewed it, so it took about ten minutes to find, but once I did, I confirmed my initial impression that the two compositions are very similar. Perhaps this should be viewed as a compliment to APPLE BOTTOMS rather than an insult to FORBIDDEN GAMES?

Which brings me to another gripe. "Jeux Interdits" [Forbidden Games] is the name of a justly celebrated film directed by René Clément in 1952. I realize that words belong to everyone, but come on, Kilian: why choose the title of an incredibly famous anti-war film? What does it have to do with a fruity-floral frag?

I don't want to blame Kilian himself for this conceptual mess, my best guess is that we have LVMH to thank, yet again.
10.0 2.5 5.0 5.0/10

Drseid
Save Some Dough And Buy Banana Boat Tanning Oil Instead...
Forbidden games opens with a plum-laced peach that can easily be confused with a tropical coconut and banana vibe. The overall opening accord is very reminiscent of many of the low-end tropical suntan oils you smell at drugstores. A somewhat sharp artificial apple note joins the party in the early heart, joining the peach as the plum recedes. After the opening and early heart, the scent turns quickly into a skin scent consisting of the remnants of the peach now mixed with a very subtle artificial smelling rose undertone floating on a very quiet and just slightly sweet mundane vanilla base. Projection is poor (with the exception of the open) and longevity is average.

Forbidden Games is definitely a disappointment. It smells good, but the smell is really so similar to Banana Boat Suntan Lotion that one just feels cheated with this composition by Becker who is capable of so much more. The dry-down is no better, as the vanilla used here is so generic and subtle it just comes off as a cheap cop-out that you might expect from a scent selling for 1/10th the price of this one at $245 for 50ml. While the fabulous container housing the juice is worthy of a scent with that price tag, its contents should be sold in the same drugstore as the suntan lotion it has cloned. One of the worst releases from By Kilian, Forbidden Games earns a disappointingly average 2.5 stars out of 5 outright, merits a value score of 1. Avoid this one and buy the Banana Boat oil instead as it provides much better bang for the buck...
7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Forbidden Games : Creamy fruit
Firstly I do love Kilian creations so far, this is also a love. Imagine warm lightly stewed apricots, plums & granny smith apples topped with whipped cream and a dash of vanilla! This is it, gourmand lovers would delight in this. Its sweet, very creamy, syrupy ..almost jammy, however its slightly fresh too, must be that apple note. It stays relatively linear, though at times, like waves the apple note will come up, then down again. I want full bottle now! Yes it does smell familiar, and this type of formula has been done before, but I would still prefer this over a cheaper type fragrance, but thats me. If you dislike fruity floral gourmands, maybe best to stay away.

Popular Kilian

Back to Black by Kilian Straight to Heaven by Kilian A taste of Heaven by Kilian Love by Kilian Liaisons Dangereuses by Kilian Cruel Intentions by Kilian Black Phantom by Kilian Rose Oud by Kilian Intoxicated by Kilian Amber Oud by Kilian Sweet Redemption by Kilian Incense Oud by Kilian Good girl gone Bad by Kilian Bamboo Harmony by Kilian Moonlight in Heaven by Kilian Beyond Love by Kilian Sacred Wood by Kilian Love and Tears by Kilian Water Calligraphy by Kilian Forbidden Games by Kilian