Incense Oud (2011)

Incense Oud by Kilian
Bottle Design Carré Basset

Incense Oud is a popular perfume by Kilian for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesGeranium, Cardamom, Pink pepper, Rose
Heart Notes Heart NotesGrapefruit, Papyrus, Patchouli, Cedarwood
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Labdanum, Musk, Sandalwood, Frankincense

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 16.04.2020.

Another Rose-Oud
This perfume could have been called Incense Rose and it would be more realistic, the oud of this perfume is so light that it is almost not felt, it is, but in a very vaporous and ephemeral way.

The beginning is one of the most beautiful parts of this perfume and the one that lasts the least, a sigh, but it leaves you ecstatic with vaporous and balsamic spices asking for more. Next, a splendid smoky rose opens up, truly beautiful, on a woody, balsamic, warm and spicy background. From here the rose and incense agreement remains until the end, I only conceive small changes of nuances, which are caused by the evolution of the notes that make up the background, sometimes they stand out some more than others, and thus make up an aroma very dynamic, despite always smelling of smoky rose.

Of moderate high duration, with a performance of about 7 or 8 hours, and moderate wake from the start, although somewhat more noticeable in the first hour. Perfume from cold or temperate climates and to wear it at night preferably.

As for recommending it, this time I would say that it is not a perfume for all noses, so better to try it before purchase. The perfume is of quality, but I think it is a scent that is already very exploited.
2.5

Reference Incense, No'Oud...
Incense Oud is a truly fabulous incense scent. The natural smelling incense accord that immediately hits you with the top notes mixed with hints of rose and citrus, hanging around through the heart notes is out of this world incredible, and the best I have smelled to date, eclipsing even the great Avignon. I guess I would describe it as similar to Avignon, but smoother and just overall more refined and somewhat more subtle. Incense Oud is the much more wearable and versatile scent of the two by far, IMO. In the base notes, I get some Oud mixed in with the sandalwood and musk dominant base (even though it is not listed in the official notes).

That gets me to the primary concern I have with Incense Oud... There really is not that much Oud in it to my nose. At $395 for a 50ml bottle, that is a relatively high price to pay for what amounts to even a reference incense scent, when other excellent ones are available for a fraction of the price like the aforementioned Avignon as well as others. That said, if you are looking for the best incense scent you can find regardless of price (and don't mind that the scents name is a tad off), then I have not found as good as Incense Oud and would have to recommend it, awarding it a strong 4.5 star out of 5 rating.

A trip down memory lane
I've had a sample of this banging around in my sample box for some time now. I haven't had much of a chance to truly try it, but with a bit of free time available today I found it and whacked the entire sample bottle to my left arm. It's beautiful. It's pure Frankincense on me ... very little else and quite linear. I'm a bit of an Oud nut and I don't get very much of it here.
I had a very strict Catholic upbringing (yep, parochial school et al ... it's taken years of therapy to get over LET'S NOT GO THERE!!!) and without much say in the matter became an altar boy at around the age of 10. It was my duty to carry the censer (the incense burner) and I would dutifully swing it about (like a fabulous gold Judith Leiber handbag!!) until I was fairly obscured by nimbus like clouds of fragrant smoke :o). Incense Oud smells EXACTLY like the little gold box of resinous crystals that housed the incense we used!
Is Kilian Hennesey's Incense Oud worth it's (IMO) exhorbitant price? Not really ... as lovely as it is. I think the sublimely gorgeous Mr. Hennesey would do well to market his fragrances in less costly packaging. I read somewhere that a 50ml bottle at GBP 140 is refillable at GBP 60. That's QUITE a difference for a pretty bottle!
Nevertheless ... one cannot take away the fact that this is a REALLY beautiful fragrance ... I'd have it if I could justify the price!

by WitweBolte
by WitweBolte
by Liquidasset
by Liquidasset
by JPhx
by JPhx

Popular Kilian

Back to Black (Perfume) by Kilian Intoxicated by Kilian Straight to Heaven Extreme by Kilian Black Phantom by Kilian Straight to Heaven (Perfume) by Kilian Rose Oud by Kilian Single Malt by Kilian Amber Oud by Kilian A taste of Heaven (Perfume) by Kilian Apple Brandy by Kilian Rolling in Love by Kilian Love (Perfume) by Kilian Gold Knight by Kilian Cruel Intentions (Perfume) by Kilian Moonlight in Heaven by Kilian I Don't Need A Prince By My Side To Be A Princess by Kilian Killing Me Slowly by Kilian Noir Aphrodisiaque by Kilian Sweet Redemption (Perfume) by Kilian Love the way you Taste by Kilian