Pure Oud 2009

Pure Oud by Kilian
Bottle Design Carré Basset
Pure Oud is a perfume by Kilian for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is woody-resinous. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued. Pronunciation

Calice Becker

Top Notes Top NotesSaffron
Heart Notes Heart NotesCopaiba balsam, Oud
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Cypriol, Gaiac wood, Labdanum

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 27.09.2020.

Pure Oud
Notes: Saffron, Copaiva Balsam, Oud, Amber, Cypriol, Guaiac Wood and Labdanum

Perfumer: Calice Becker

I love Oud and really enjoying Pure Oud by Kilian. Yes, the Oud here is on the synthetic side. This is a pretty linear scent, Smokey, a bit Spicy oudy woody fragrance.
Welcome to the Pepper Hell
The moment when I had this smell on my skin for the first time, I will probably never forget it again. It was one of the first oud scents back then (when I didn't know exactly how it smelled) and I went to this test with a certain lack of need, which I would soon regret.

The scent seems a bit oriental to me at first, which I couldn't really grasp. After a few minutes I meet a force of ink, blackness and burnt rubber. Strangely enough, the durability on the skin wasn't outstanding at all, but I couldn't get it off my clothes anymore. It was just penetrating pepper! The jacket was washed three or four times, then it was off. I encountered this note even more often afterwards, and it triggers a kind of flight reflex in me.

For me personally there was no development, which I always find very unfortunate. The first minutes he changed a bit, afterwards he was completely linear for me. Too bad.

My rating:

Joy: 0 of 30
Quality, depth, vitality: 8 of 30
Shelf life: 9 of 20 (on the skin)
Portability: 0 of 10
Flacon, packaging, presentation: 9 of 10

Total: 26 of 100
Bakerscookie
Lots of smoke, little oud - the typical western would-be oud scent.
I got to know Pure Oud by Kilian for the first time at the beginning of my perfume journey. Oud fascinated me from the very beginning, because for me (like for many) everything started with Tom Ford Oud Wood, due to several appearances of the fragrance in interviews and YouTube blogs. Relatively early I learned that TF-OW should not contain so much oud, which sent me on a journey to explore the ingredient
I quickly learned that Oud smells "somehow hot and smoky". Therefore, when I first sniffed Pure Oud by Kilian, I would probably have given it a 10/10. Because he's smoky, with a slight medical acuity. If the fragrance DNA were to develop over the course of the fragrance, it would have been able to perform very well even now, but unfortunately the (in itself quite beautiful) fragrance remains pretty much the same over its lifetime as after the first spraying on. On the positive side, it doesn't smell as sweet and spicy as "His Majesty The Oud" by Atkinsons, which reminded me more of a Christmas candle than of real oud. Yet the DNA here is slightly dull and flat.

Which brings us to the point: I doubt there's much oud in here. And what's in it doesn't come from an exquisite part pervaded by resin, but probably from a bright part of the tree. Under the "smoky" smelling roof I can hardly perceive the "main star". Sure, there's "something wooden"... but "something" isn't enough anymore. As a rule, oud distillates are bright, complex, long-lasting. It's a pity this is all missing.

Compared to other fragrances of this size (e.g. the XerJoff Oud Stars collection or Tom Ford Oud Wood Intense), durability and projection are moderate. I don't notice anything after two hours, it's four to five on the skin. I should mention that many fragrances feel weak to me today that didn't a year ago (Tauer's L'Oudh would be another example). If the durability were better, I would be a fan despite the linear fragrance. But that's not enough for me anymore (unfortunately).

Therefore, Pure Oud by Kilian may be worthwhile for those who like a smoky fragrance that shows this typical medical oud facet without containing much of the actual active ingredient. And those who want to get rid of the scent quickly. For the price I paid, I'm satisfied. But I wouldn't lay down full retail for it under any circumstances.

Drseid
Real Oud, But Not Real Wearable...
A relatively positive recommendation on Pure Oud from me. It has a rubbery, slightly medicinal Gaiac heart mixed with real Oud that I find intriguing and is keeping me interested in smelling it throughout its development. Amber, and maybe a hint of musk join the Oud to form the base of the scent. I have to give By Kilian some points for using real oud in its composition, and keeping to the scent's name in spirit. Projection is above average here, but longevity is only average. This is not the easiest scent to wear, but still nice on the whole. I would say 3.5/5.

If this more straight Presentation of oud scent is too much for you, then the other By Kilian Arabian Nights oud scents may be more appealing to you... Rose Oud for a Rose dominant oud, and Incense Oud for a reference incense scent that may not contain much or even any real oud, but smells incredible nonetheless.

by Naeschen17
by Naeschen17

Popular Kilian

Straight to Heaven Extreme by Kilian Intoxicated by Kilian Black Phantom Memento Mori by Kilian Back to Black Aphrodisiac (Perfume) by Kilian Single Malt London by Kilian Angels' Share by Kilian Straight to Heaven White Cristal (Perfume) by Kilian Rose Oud by Kilian Incense Oud by Kilian Apple Brandy New York by Kilian A Taste of Heaven Absinthe Verte (Perfume) by Kilian Amber Oud by Kilian Gold Knight by Kilian Love Don't Be Shy (Perfume) by Kilian Lemon in Zest Lugano by Kilian Rolling in Love by Kilian I Don't Need A Prince By My Side To Be A Princess by Kilian Moonlight in Heaven by Kilian Cruel Intentions Tempt Me (Perfume) by Kilian Sweet Redemption The End (Perfume) by Kilian