Smoke for the Soul 2014

Smoke for the Soul by Kilian
Bottle Design Carré Basset
Smoke for the Soul is a perfume by Kilian for men and was released in 2014. The scent is woody-smoky. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Eucalyptus, Grapefruit, Cardamom, Thyme, Fir balsam, Maté tea, Tagetes, Tobacco, Birch, Cashmere wood

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 01.10.2020.

The scent is part of the collection "Addictive State of Mind".

Schietsack de luxe
In official German, these cubic metre-sized bags are probably called "polypropylene bulk goods/disposal containers with loops". The all-round service provider for house and garden with us around the corner calls the thing in North German straightforwardness simply "Schietsack". Garbage inside, call and the next time is that thing wech.

I smell weed. Normal, slightly ensiled (from silage). Cannabis - which I don't know anyway - I don't have to bother. Then Aspecton thyme, speak syrupy thickened. Flanked by ethereal colleagues from the home garden, such as Thuja. Quickly a humid-needled forest atmosphere is formed, which reminds me of 'Ormonde Man' in the style of Ferne, but primarily of the unfortunately very synthetically-huncated 'In the Woods' by eSENSielle. Also today it seems to me that there is a lot of laboratory in the game, especially because of the fresh (ISO?) swab. A little bit of citrine with that.

That was the perfumed approach. The mixture undoubtedly has something of a pile of fir and especially Douglas fir and Thuja cut with a few layers of grass in between, which has been slushing (ensiled) on a pile since the last mowing, before it has now migrated into the sack
All right, it's a little spicier than that. At least our Schietsack couldn't come up with thyme. And the Pamps that gathers at its bottom certainly smells...uh...harsher or stricter than today's cream. It smells more like "Schietsack de luxe". But at some point we apparently got the cubic metre full and we are now allowed to leave the topic garden.

Let us turn to a mixture of spices for which I cannot come up with the information. I am also thinking, for example, of cumin sweat and fart-dry wood nutmeg. In general, a strong swing is initiated. From later in the morning I think I have to deal with a completely different scent. The spice is turned into bitterness as if it had been roasted in a pan for too long (before being used in a curry). Accompanied by a completely infertile hint of citrus fruit residue. Below, already quite close up, there is a narrow layer of wood, which at first appears to be of some high quality, before in the course of the afternoon - supported by spices - a polish smell spreads. Hmm. Even if our sack is standing half-filled on the driveway over night, the neighbours don't throw it immediately full. As for such things, we are all village in our street. So we don't have to protect the thing with a weatherproof painted wooden lid. Yes, the Schietsack idea has reached a natural end and now it is really enough.

As the wine progresses, a variety of aromas waft through the air, which nevertheless deliver an amazingly linear, downright conservative men's fragrance at a slight distance from the skin: Spicy-nadelicious wood with a pinch of nutmeg, which is supposed to hide certain artificial wood variations. Another bitter tip could come from tobacco. There's a clean aura hovering above it. Tea may be a good idea, but I could well imagine that light wood was pimped with rosewood (linalool?) and a trace of clary sage (aha, see above!). I don't smell marigolds directly; perhaps the announcement is just a character hint in the direction of bitter. Everything well done, even ideal for friends of classic men's fragrances. It's just not clear to me which of them would first like to deal with the Schietsack - even if it's "de luxe" - to get here.

At some point our diffuse, creamy grassy underlay peeps out again and the whole affair drifts towards the evening. I think of some things: fresh vetiver plus synthetic wood. Possibly a touch of smokiness from the myrrh corner? Dark sweet, but without being able to gain much ground. Nevertheless: Can be endured well.

Conclusion: A strange work. Something unsteady. Of course not bad and certainly varied.

I thank Ergoproxy for the sample.

Hippie bourgeois
The opening of Smoke for the Soul is fairly powerful and mostly centered on cedar-incense, balsamic notes, sage, citrus notes (notably something zesty-aromatic like bergamot), a load of spices (pepper), something slightly fruity – like tea – then a not-that-solid tobacco note, which is basically just a sweet-fruity-soft-herbal note as in many mainstream tobacco scents. More than tobacco, say just a herbal accord *with* a whiff of tobacco out of the bag, but actually smelling more of sage (and bay leaf too?). Anyway, nice, one of the nicest Kilian’s perhaps – but I am not a fan of the brand, so this rather means I just don’t consider this completely tragic. It is undoubtedly pleasant to wear, as much elegant as effortless and laid-back, and smells rich, decently satisfying and fairly substantial. The contrasts between tart-zesty-spicy bergamot-citrus notes and woods-tobacco make it a perfect all-year rounder for pretty much any situation, as it’s fresh yet dark, understated but distinctive, smoky but bright (and so on). The problem is that, well... none else mentioned it but I smell a bold similarity with Terre d’Hermès on the drydown. It settles quite on the same woods-herbs-citrus-spices structure in my opinion, and smells fairly similar. Which makes the price even more irrational than it was already... but well, it smells nice, so if you’ve money to waste, it won’t be a wrong choice.

6,5/10

by MrsMancera
by MrsMancera

Popular Kilian

Intoxicated by Kilian Straight to Heaven Extreme by Kilian Black Phantom Memento Mori by Kilian Back to Black Aphrodisiac (Perfume) by Kilian Angels' Share by Kilian Single Malt London by Kilian Straight to Heaven White Cristal (Perfume) by Kilian Rose Oud by Kilian Incense Oud by Kilian A Taste of Heaven Absinthe Verte (Perfume) by Kilian Apple Brandy New York by Kilian Amber Oud by Kilian Gold Knight by Kilian Love Don't Be Shy (Perfume) by Kilian Rolling in Love by Kilian Lemon in Zest Lugano by Kilian Moonlight in Heaven by Kilian I Don't Need A Prince By My Side To Be A Princess by Kilian Cruel Intentions Tempt Me (Perfume) by Kilian Noir Aphrodisiaque Paris by Kilian