Knize Ten 1931Toilet Water

Knize Ten (Toilet Water) by Knize
Knize Ten (Toilet Water) is a popular perfume by Knize for men and was released in 1931. The scent is leathery-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Orange, Petitgrain, Rosemary, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Geranium, Clove, Iris, Rose, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Castoreum, Leather, Moss, Musk, Vanilla

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 29.09.2020.

Sebastian80
A small, friendly journey through time
Unfortunately, like many of the previous speakers, I can't conjure up historical celebrities or architectural examples out of a hat, but maybe my description will help somehow.

I came to Knize Ten as a virgin to her child. I have never heard anything about the fragrance, never have I consciously perceived it on an advertisement or in a shop. But there she suddenly lay. Just like that. A sample of four in a shipping carton from Sedley.

Two Davidoffs and CK one, how exciting. Well, let's check perfume, see what Knize Ten is supposed to be. Aha, toilet water, and that's from 1931, too. Sounds just like my taste, NOT!

I usually don't get much use out of older perfumes, the green note and worst of all oak moss automatically pulls the corners of my mouth down. I also often find leather difficult Well: No courage, no heroes. Sprayed on and... It doesn't smell that bad. Brighter than expected, less biting than expected, but not comparable to modern creations. Capucci pour Homme, 36 years modern smells to me like a much older semester
Although I'm not an expert in leather and I've copied the scent for myself, I wouldn't have blindly noticed it here. In general, the individual notes are closely interwoven for me and so I have only soap and shaving stuff as a comparison It's not soap like Mugler Cologne, but rather the old-fashioned curd soap that my grandmother always liked to put between the washed bed linen in the wardrobe to give the impression of cleanliness. Even as a child, it never smelled really fresh to me, but clean and washed. In addition to that I have this palmolivity, which makes me think more of shaving brushes than of gel.
All in all a nice perfume for me, far from being suitable for everyday use, but I will probably spray the sample for myself from time to time. Fortunately, you don't need much because of the strong durability. And then I imagine how it might have been in the past, about 90 years before this day
Gymnasium catharsis
Preferably a Knize Ten would be Beikoch in the Golden Dragon, responsible for menu no. 69 and third cousin of HopSing (the guy from Shiloh Ranch). The truth is rarely pure and never simple, so none of the above applies. If you think of Knize Ten, you see Schnitzlers' Arthur, equipped with lorgnette, whiskers and knee breeches pulled up to the navel, entering a gym that has been waxed so hard that the anus shave that has been applied shortly before immediately binds with the wax and causes the wearer to immediately go into the knee-bending position... The rest is sports history: the squat better known as the squat was born.
The fragrance with which one looks in vain for leather or the like (here the imagination or a professional nose is probably in demand) has by its valuable design certainly its place in the art of perfumery but seems rather a smell than a perfume. The floor polish is accompanied by something slightly nutty, but you can find it better and cheaper in Tabac EDC. Knize Ten is the perfect background for Schnitzler's dream novel with Fridolin and Albertine or alternatively with Nicole Kidman and Tom C. who wore the scent under guarantee on the weird party with all the naked women and the disturbed guys with the hoodies...
Chizza
The other day with the anonymous perfume addicts
Slowly I parked my car in front of the church, a few more parking spaces were already occupied. 7:25 pm, I was on time. A little bit uncertain I got out only when nobody else was to be seen. Quickly I scurried to the entrance and went inside. A sign showed me the way and so I strolled hesitantly towards the room. A somewhat older gentleman waved to me and told me to come here. I looked around to see if he meant someone else, but since I was the only one standing in the corridor it was undoubtedly me.
"Good man, now come on! We want to take off!" I hurried towards him and tapped my hat brim briefly to greet him. As there was only one seat left in the seating circle, the choice was easy. "Dear participants, now that we are all here, I would like to welcome you all. My name is Peter Rada and I can already see some new faces". At this he swung his head in my direction. So I stood up and introduced myself briefly. "My name is Chizza, just Chizza, that's a stage name, but a different story... Anyway, I'm here today because I share your problem. The cash registers are empty, the vouchers are always used up and my wife would like to slowly buy things for daily use again instead of continuing to use up all the specimens, e.g. when showering. In short: I have a perfume problem." "Thank you very much, Mr. Chizza, I would like to go into this in more detail, but first we want to listen to how the good Hank is doing. Tell me, how's the flanker problem with Boss Bottled?" "Um, let me put it this way: do you know the Aromatic, Peter? It's with myrrh." "Okay, I see we still have room for improvement. Let's get to our newcomer, tell me about it."
So I started: " Well, I have a certain problem, I like old scents. I like the Halston Z-14, the Antaeus, other classics like Bel Ami or even Pino Silvestre. Sometimes I pose as Chizza Bogart." "I know your problem. How old are you?" "Year 87 but recently I was wearing Habit Rouge and my wife was no longer sure; year 87 or 87 years old. That's when I realized: Chizza Bogart, you've got a problem. But now it comes: there I discovered this one fragrance, it's even older and it did it to me, I won't hide it from you."
"We are curious, nobody is interrupting you anyway, 30% is with the perfume dealer and even 99% on PdM. The others are engrossed in the mobile phone."

"the kneeler - Ten is. His start alone... a poem, I tell you! The full load of citrus fruits but he remains tart, I feel directly optional like my grandfather and want to buy the big bottle of Pitralon or I am James Dean. Again and again a cloud of Ten steams towards me, he quickly becomes flowery, but not tulips, but rather flowers doused with alcohol. Amazing! Those around me either turn up their noses - certainly with olfactory delight - or reach for a cognac, at least when I'm in the supermarket. And so the scent lingers on my skin for many hours. It becomes weaker but its characteristic. It never loses its characteristics. It is always slightly leathery, slightly musky and yet remains cool and tart. Then I am almost really James Dean. At least until I am done vacuuming and my wife has new tasks for me. How do I solve the problem?"

"Look, the colleague next to you, who is bouncing so confusedly back and forth next to you, owns DJ Love. Twice." "Jesus Christ!" "with a personal dedication." "The man is lost!" "That's the point. You, on the other hand, are addicted to a fragrance with an 8.0 rating. A scent that is tart and leathery and you love to smell it because it's multi-faceted. At the beginning, as you said, it's like you said. Afterwards the base becomes very intense. Really a dream! Do you understand? That's no problem. At least until you move on and consistently buy Rojas for 600 euros." "That makes sense. "That makes sense. You helped me."

I left the meeting of the anonymous perfume alcoholics, got into the car, sprayed two or three shots of Ten and continued with a smile.
Stinki
The scent of a time long gone,
i have only one mini bottle of an older, very strong version left, which has only marginal similarity with the present one. It was fragmented and only the tips were retained and simply replaced by soap in the background. Admittedly I don't hang up the old one anymore, it would seem out of place in every area of our life today. An ex-girlfriend, who had hardly anything to do with scents, always made a sound with him with enthusiasm, which I do not want to reproduce here - it could be this infamous beaver horny ?
It definitely smells like a stony Central European landed gentry, which was winding through the area with Maybachs, but it also has something very urban (rubber and petrol/tar) - it would have fitted perfectly into the Berlin of the 20s. And it is somehow also a reason German, respectively Austrian smell, because he neither Italian, English, Spanish, nor French or even American would be to be classified.
Because of the sound and for reminiscence reasons I will not give it away ;-)
Via the Ringstrasse
There are, of course, two great dangers to writing about fragrances in such a way that the reader's imagination becomes something like a clear impression of the fragrance, and both have their origin in the extraordinary difficulty of mastering the two great approaches to fragrances if one does not want to be overwhelmed by their siren chants in a literary way.
One access is now the one leading over the memory. It is no secret that in childhood and adolescence the world is generally perceived more holistically than in the following decades, when the seemingly unmotivated sighs (where do they come from and what is their exact reason?) that were unheard at a young age become more frequent. The sense of smell as on the one hand the most disordered, most difficult to grasp analytically and thus at the same time the least filtered of all senses through reason and comparison, plays a powerful role here, who wanted to deny it. So it's no wonder that not a few reviews - at least half of my own I count explicitly and without shame! - in the Summoning always the same more beautiful, the same more touching, but also more or less the same Super 8 movies: "Understand, I can't do otherwise. My father, his shaving mirror, my mother humming at the sink, the trips to the Taunus." Wonderful, but, if not formally mastered, basically self-talk (sometimes in front of graves).

It's a good thing I'm connecting Knize Ten to Nüscht. All blanco. But now I don't have in any way the scent historical wealth of experience and the essences library of our experts, such as the forum trickster Catch22 (I'm airing the hat!), which I hold in high esteem. I don't have much to objectify - and when I wrote: "Quite nice, but now without moss, something annoys me, 5 points" - that wouldn't work (yet).
Then on to failure on the second path, that of the imagination. I hope at least it won't be a self-published angel thriller.

The setting is clear to everyone who has worked his way through the other comments and statements: Vienna, inner city, early twentieth century. World cities? Paris, London, Vienna. Closing time. Fiaker; coffee house; kiss the hand; all somehow melancholic, somehow exhilarating: the fin de siècle has survived, albeit with damage; Mei, the Ensign is smart; Mr. Section Council, how is the state of health; the k.k.tobacco director convicts large amounts of Turkish and Virginias - modest prosperity etc. etc.
Does Knize Ten then get caught in all these anchor points as if by itself, without any great effort on the part of the imagination? Yes, it is. Unrestricted. The jamy strawberry or stone fruit note described by many is still the most difficult to locate in the top note. Please: What would Art Nouveau be without strawberries and apricots in green glass bowls? The leather comes back, somewhat worn. Worn coffee house upholstery (red!). Over it a slightly pointed aftershave note. Not specific, more generic. Privy Councillors were with the barber to celebrate the previously frozen assets successfully retrieved from England after the war. Among them roses (kiss the hand, Mrs. Section Councillor!, we already had that above) and then always this slightly burnt one. Well, coal stoves, a light, constant smell of fire in streets and courtyards. Homeliness without fat and onion smell - quite fine. Others have associated the smell of fire with plastic and the dawn of a new era. Thinkable and conclusive, but not for me. All this in noble disparity and yet at the same time in changing intensities. A fragrance like a social evening.

Is that still portable in 2018? How do you answer this question? What is always meant by this question, which somehow doesn't want to have a right salary for me? Food for the blog? I might. Until then, I don't know what the honored reader wants from a scent. If he wants to smell good (and didn't want to spit on himself while reading my scent impressions), he should buy it and wear it. Little helps a lot, 15ml do not cost the world and should last long.

Viennese refined
Scentrack: Anton Karas - A Third Man Theme

Unlike Knize tailor shop Knize perfumery is still firmly going on. This is perfume of middle European well mannered gentlemen. Nothing explosive is here, every note is well polished. Leather with some oily aspect dominates from the opening. Warm amber, sandalwood and flowers and other notes are melted really nice.
One of the last old school scents playing double game. In one moment leather has some sweet fruity undertones (strawberry), in next it reminds me of oily mechanic's garage. Every modern perfume owes something to this legend. Maybe the famous gasoline note of Fahrenheit was inspired by Knize. Antaeus definitely has a role model in Knize Ten.
Moustaches, coffee, Sacher cake and Knize. A perfect Mittel European sunny weekend in old, imperial Vienna.

Rating: 9/10

...but like it, too
As a homo, I don't really go in for the classic masculine thing. It’s just not queer enough. I’m more of a ‘cafeteria’ male. Whether I measure up or not, I’ll take what I like from masculinity and leave the rest. Femininity as well, for that matter. Gentlemanly, yes. Boorish, no. Sports, no, but also Broadway musicals, no. It gets confusing, yes?

But Knize Ten is pretty and strapping in equal measure. If this is what it is to be a man, sign me up.

I’ve finally found a socially acknowledged manly fragrance that I’ll buy into without reservation. (Well, current masculinity is bound to look a bit like dandy-drag on me, but at least it's not such bad theater as the whole-hog Ralph Lauren anglo-psychodrama.)

from http://www.scenthurdle.com

Wonderfully scottish
Good that, at the moment, I am looking after the home alone.
I have misappropriated the good Scottish Islay single-painting whiskey of my husband. This has made more fun secret.
The handle to the bottle had to be.
I love this whiskey since he tastes very earthily and still more smoky.
This was the transition to Knize Ten.

One is the smell for me with this whiskey. Actually a bottle should directly be hidden in the packing at every bottle of whiskey. And this pair has a leather box as packing. Yes, earth, much smoke and much leather, shows itself Knize Ten so. Much later completely shows himself easy, mild sweet one.
I love this composition and could put me in proverbially.
Not ladylike? I don't care.

Knize Ten
A very sophisticated leather.
Wearing this envokes the feeling of late 18th century to early 19th century atsitrocacy.
Imagine hunting fowl in the countryside or picnicking by a brook in late winter.

Starts out fresh and leathery and then develops into a vivid floral bouquet wrapped in a leather sheath that was laying in a spice pantry.

ReniferkaReniferka 3 years ago
Tons of leather, hint of herbs, sligthly dirty/animalic with warm amber in the background. Very sexy and masculine.

by Oberloser
by Oberloser
Nur der Duft ist Toilet water...
by Pistazieneis
Ein sehr alter Benz....
by Pistazieneis
Sunset im Schlosspark...es gibt nicht nur Schneeglöckchen :)
by Josch
by NGL7
by Kate130
by Kate130
by Sani
Die Verpackung des 50ml-Flakons ist schlichtes Papier mit lackierter Oberfläche. Sie wird beim Auspacken zerstört. (hinten) Der Karton einer Duftprobe. (vorn)
by Rallinski
by Chanelle
by Carlossp
by Carlossp

Popular Knize

Knize Ten Golden Edition by Knize Knize Forest (Toilet Water) by Knize Belle Epoque (Eau de Parfum) by Knize Lady Knize (Eau de Parfum) by Knize Knize Two (Toilet Water) by Knize Knize Sec (Toilet Water) by Knize Lady Knize (Eau de Toilette) by Knize Glencheck by Knize Knize Ten (After Shave Lotion) by Knize