Al Oudh by L'Artisan Parfumeur
Al Oudh is a perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur for men and was released in 2009. The scent is spicy-oriental. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesDateDate
SandalwoodSandalwood
Tonka beanTonka bean
CedarCedar
CivetCivet

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 26.10.2021.

En Voyage chez l'Artisan Parfumeur: 9 Al Oudh - Eagle wood hidden in date sand

Every perfumer who holds something on himself seems to have to try sooner or later at the trendy fragrance "oud".
In fact, Jubilation XXV by Amouage was Dechaufour's first perfume with oud, even if with this oud was certainly not the focus. But that is also not the case with "Al Oudh".

Starts with masculine fresh sweaty musk note but not unkempt, I know the smell from childhood from my father. Can understand if it bothers many. Leaves and develops into a typical Dechaufour, which puts the date in the foreground and arranges a complex painting of spices and heavier notes around it, which are so purposefully miteinader interwoven that they are hardly distinguishable from each other. This is the kind of staging I'm most familiar with from scents like Timbuktu, Dzongkha, or Jubilation XXV, all of which were penned by Dechaufour. All have an authentically sweet, very natural smelling fruit around which a spicy fecher is spun. So too here, overall forming a very broad scent picture. After the sweaty start, cardamon and cumin in particular emerge over the date that remains present, dry air that inevitably makes me think of cinnamon. Light leather mingles with a drop of rose. The actual namesake, the eagle wood is hidden here in a jaunty way and so ingeniously integrated that I only belatedly guess it. It flickers quite synthetically in my opinion, barely glimpsed it is moistened by saffron.
This fragrance smells very oriental, also a bit animalic but it's not oud that causes this, it's the other ingredients. Thus, this one is not an "Oud - fragrance" in the true sense, but an Oriental, which also has Oud as an ingredient.

Except for the sweaty note at the beginning, I like it quite well, this is indeed bearable, but a reason why I would not wear it, but rather see on older gentlemen. A Dattellastigen Oriental I had not yet, however, I find him here very successful.

The sillage pleases me first quite well, but as with most from the house of l'Artisan Parfumeur is kept quite mild. The durability could be a little better.

Overall, however, I can recommend this further, to all those who do not flee from musk and at the same time no "Brecherorientale" looking for.
If one then still likes Tauer's l'Air du Désert Marocain and one dates are welcome, should test here. A similar warm sandy aura I perceive here namely also.

Thank you for reading my comment.

Al Oudh Review
This one goes a little under the radar when it comes to some of Duchaufour's creations for L'Artisan. Animalic oud and spices, paired with sweet fermented fruit, promises an interesting scent journey....

Al Oudh - A stinker?
Driven by the negative reviews here on Parfumo and also a review on Youtube I would like to share my experiences to Al Oudh with you.
I had ordered the Oriental Set to get to know the brand better, because Bertrand Duchafour created some fragrances for L'Artisan Parfumeur and he is very well known in the perfume world. With a total of 6 fragrances (4 miniatures and 2 free samples) there was not a single one that I did not like. That's a respectable achievement. But for me and my better half two fragrances have crystallized: Al Oudh, who we're talking about today, and Timbuktu, to whom I might also dedicate a review.
With Al Oudh I was very excited anyway, because he is often associated with sweat and some have already received negative feedback.
The scent at the beginning reminds me of a fruit cocktail. Somewhat tart, a slightly alcoholic flag and just as fruity. However, this equally light note disappears very quickly and becomes spicier and drier overall. He doesn't even try to hide his oriental veins here. Especially in the first 1 to 2 hours the projection is also very tidy and you should dose carefully. As I got to know Oud so far, or as he was portrayed in the scents I had under my nose so far, he is not represented here. Neither medical, nor sweet. I can't even make out animal notes with my nose at any time. With time, a smoky note is added, which underlines the spice a little more. Towards the end I also hear a light woody note. The only thing I can chalk up to him is his short shelf life. After 4-5 hours I notice it only minimally on my skin.
Al Oudh is definitely not a crowdpleaser for me to get one compliment after the other. However, it is perfect for a style break in a casual outfit, or even in a suit. With such an Oriental one does not reckon in our circles certainly not.

To get back to the headline - Is Al Oudh a stinker? Not for me at all, because after 2 previous tests I ordered a bottle (30 Euro for 50ml) and I feel very comfortable with it. The bottle is also very high quality processed, especially in view of the price.
But maybe I'm bored of the mass-produced goods and am happy to have found a fragrance with him that is once again different from the others. With L`Artisan Parfumeur I have definitely discovered a very interesting brand, of which I will try out even more fragrances.

Al Yawn...
Velvety, sweet, slightly soapy woody notes (sandalwood, maybe cashmere wood), mellow aromatic herbs (sage?), a rose breeze, a whiff of incense and a subtle rubbery-medicinal whiff on the base – the agar wood – which smells really discreet, also somehow sugary, blended with a leather note which is “tiny” but rich, somehow like in Dzing! by the same house. Basically Al Oudh smells like a sort of transparent, “clean” rewriting of many Western oud scents, particularly those on the sweet-woody side, just much more tamed down and with a more discreet, posh, light appearance as per style of L’Artisan Parfumeur (for me it’s just a consistently repeated flaw more than a style mark, but to each his own). I appreciate in particular the refined complexity of the texture, which smells initially thin but solid, and the nice bright counterpart of powdery notes which perfectly balances the cozy woodiness. So what’s the issue? The evolution. Not because of its persistence, but because in a matter of minutes it all becomes in my opinion a close-to-skin, completely negligible synthetic woody incense with a vague spicy feel (tonka above all). Somehow oudish, but yawn. Something fades away, something just becomes duller, it all lands on a “woody designer from the 2000s” territory. I am even a moderate fan of the genre actually, but they cost a third of this - for a reason. The opening phase is nice, but then, meh...

5,5-6/10

FarouhaFarouha 6 years ago
Wow, wow, wow! This perfume has an effect on me. I am very much in love with this scent. It's so unique and incredibly sexy. Totally unisex.

Gold desert...
Chill winter morning...
by Pepdal
by Pepdal

Popular L'Artisan Parfumeur

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur L'Eau du Caporal by L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur Bucoliques de Provence by L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur Œillet Sauvage by L'Artisan Parfumeur Mon Numéro 10 by L'Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse aux Papillons (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur Cœur de Vétiver Sacré by L'Artisan Parfumeur Noir Exquis by L'Artisan Parfumeur Vanille Absolument / Havana Vanille by L'Artisan Parfumeur Premier Figuier (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur Nuit de Tubéreuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur Traversée du Bosphore by L'Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur Aedes de Venustas by L'Artisan Parfumeur