Méchant Loup 1997

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur
Méchant Loup is a perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur for men and was released in 1997. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesPepperPepper LiquoriceLiquorice
Heart Notes Heart NotesChestnutChestnut HazelnutHazelnut Hazelnut woodHazelnut wood
Base Notes Base NotesHoneyHoney Tonka beanTonka bean MyrrhMyrrh CedarwoodCedarwood Gaiac woodGaiac wood

Submitted by CocoLeFay, last update on 02.08.2022.

4 in-depth fragrance descriptions

Bashke81
Big bad Wolf! I don’t think so.
This is very strange. It smells wet, mossy, and spicy to me - but most of all hard to place.
Unfortunately, all I get is this strange, sweet(honey?), anise/licorice note with a faint ghost of 'woody notes' dancing in the background and zero hazelnut. It's been on my wrist for 3 hours now and it's softened a bit but it hasn't transitioned into any other notes, in other words: linear.
Not for me!
5/10

To the wolf...
...I'm through another scent. Enthusiastic about the she-wolf ( Louve ) of Serge Lutens I absolutely wanted to try the "male" version. The scent surprised me at first, then confused me
and then fascinated. And indeed I found parallels to the Louve, but that's another story.
And now for our wolf scent:
"Werewolf. A miraculous transformation into a vegetarian".
Turned on by the bitter liquorice schnapps, the werewolf haunts the forest in search of something to eat. Whether nuts or seeds, all the fruits of the forest are good for him now.
Even fir cone liqueur cannot satisfy his hunger. Only the found honeycomb gradually calms him down. Woody forest scent dulls his mind, myrrh smoke numbs the senses. He sinks onto the soft moss bed and falls asleep peacefully.
He will not be the same after awakening.
Dire wolf
I am accompanied by a gently spicy, creamy-nutty woody note with a fine sweetness. I feel extremely comfortable with this quite intimate fragrance. And that came so:

When spraying on a scent rushes out: pepper and licorice stand on their hind legs.... What are we wicked! ...

But be evil, is exhausting and so the pepper disappears after a few moments to where it grows and licorice blinks irritated around and thinks, I'm just licorice.

And, I think, the best of the licorice. It is not licorice sweet , it is not Sallos sharp and bitter, but sweet wood spicy. And no sooner have I established that than all the subsequent scents combine to create that soft woody tone already described above.

For me, "Méchant Loup" is not a gourmand scent, but a reminder of a rain-damp forest, its wood steaming and smelling in the sunshine.

There are two small shortcomings, why there is not the full score: The sillage should be for my nose like a teeny bit more (so half a point, no more). And the durability, currently with me so about 5 hours, would like to be significantly more.

Otherwise, I am totally in love with this tame bad wolf.

I thank Legenda for the sample.

Addendum:
I have come to the conclusion that the sillage, such as it is, is entirely correct.

The sheep in wolf fur
Yesterday the wolf from L ´artisan ran into me in the quiet Wolfstrab.

Of course I had to stop and stroke him - and he stroked back.

My friend is a veterinarian, and there I was allowed to meet the beautiful animals live.
They were very shy, and although I approached them carefully, they withdrew.
Their beauty paired with gentleness and humility touched me deeply.

And so is the scent.
He doesn't force himself on us, but approaches us cautiously.
Through the woods I perceive the original - untamed forest - but no threatening wildness.
The wood is soaked with honey and looks very attractive and soft - in no way bulky.
Tonka is smooth - like the movements of wild animals.
Also the scent is not domesticated - but also not dangerous.

The forester's husband is also fond of Loup because he finds himself in his wooded element.
From a forestry point of view he is fond of wolves - but this topic is also controversially discussed in his profession.

But the fragrance is by no means controversial, because it goes along faithfully, albeit with a sympathetically respectful distance.
Still, I know he's there.

Like the fascinating wolves in some woods.

Méchant who?
Méchant Loup opens with an odd sort of cheap nutty-tobacco fougère accord topped with a sort of pine-nutmeg accord, overall echoing a bit (just a bit) the reformulated version of Captain by Molyneux with less complexity and more focus on the woody-spicy part, blended with a say, “drugstore vibe” of balsamic-herbal cough syrup feel and an overall “brownish” feel of anisic, caramelised sweet woods and dried resins. I honestly don’t get any honey nor the “hazelnut” note, to me this seems more just an almost nondescript and rather faint balsamic-woody scent with a sweetish, yet dry and light anisic-resinous base and a whiff of generic herbs, also with a really subtle powdery-soapy feel.

I do admit that for the first minutes (and sadly, only for those), Méchant Loup succeeds in conveying a bit of a “fairytale”, childhood-inspired rendition of a forest ambiance, using “brown” aromatic-sweet tones and an ethereal, elegantly weightless texture instead of a more predictable cascade of green pine-herbal notes. Think of Serge Lutens on a military diet: resins and sweet notes are there, but there’s really no gourmand thickness here – all smells rather dry and breezy, distantly echoing also the salty woodiness of Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel.

So far so good, and now the bad news. As most of L’Artisan offers, Méchant Loup actually and definitely feels in fact way too tame and kind of cheap to be compelling enough. The mild “magic” you get at the opening vanishes as soon as you’ve paid for your bottle, quickly collapsing down to a really cheap, flat and annoyingly persistent musky-woody anisic-soapy drydown, which is the only evolution you’ll get (and please appreciate the stretch of calling it “evolution”). Some – mostly desperate sales assistants, I guess – would call this ethereal and delicate, I’d call it just pale and faint. I can’t stand L’Artisan’s consistent attempts at selling lame weakness as a “style choice”. Normally I wouldn’t care since their concept aren’t that interesting as well, but here it’s a bit of a shame since I think this would be a really nice idea, just wasted in a really mediocre execution.

5/10

1 short view on the fragrance
ChapeauClackChapeauClack 7 years ago
Almost put it on: failed cause it sends me straight to sleep! Not boring by any means, just inexplicably sleep inducing. Cuddly, sweet beast.

Images

13 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur L'Eau du Caporal by L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur Bucoliques de Provence by L'Artisan Parfumeur Œillet Sauvage by L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse aux Papillons (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur Mon Numéro 10 by L'Artisan Parfumeur Noir Exquis by L'Artisan Parfumeur Passage d'Enfer Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur Vanille Absolument / Havana Vanille by L'Artisan Parfumeur Premier Figuier (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur Cœur de Vétiver Sacré by L'Artisan Parfumeur Nuit de Tubéreuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur Aedes de Venustas by L'Artisan Parfumeur Traversée du Bosphore by L'Artisan Parfumeur