One day during Roman times, Emperor Hadrian was riding with his centurions through Galilee. As he passed through cultivated land, he noticed a very old man planting a fig tree. The emperor requested a soldier to bring the old planter before him.
-"Old man, why are you planting a young fig tree? You should have done it in your youth so that you could savour the fruits now in your old age. You will never be able to eat the fruits from that tree."
The old man replied respectfully: - "In my boyhood, I worked very hard, and I shall do so as long as I have the strength. With God's grace, I may yet taste the fruits of this tree. May God be always praised!".
-" Do tell me, how old are you?" asked the emperor.
-"I have already stopped counting my years. I must be close to a hundred years old." replied the smiling old man.
-"And at a hundred years old, do you still hope to eat figs that will require several years to fructify?" inquired the disdainful monarch.
-"May God's will always be done. But if I do not taste the sweetness of these figs, let my son enjoy them. My father too, may God rest his soul, left the fruits he planted for me," said the old man calmly.
The monarch was surprised at the depth of the old farmer's words: -"I see the strength of life in your long years! If you live long enough until the first figs of this tree ripen, I beg you to come into my presence."
Ten years passed after this meeting and for the first time, the old man tasted the figs from that tree. By mere chance, Hadrian paid a new visit to Galilee, and the old man felt obliged to heed Caesar's wish. He filled a basket with the sweetest figs and set off. On being admitted into the emperor's presence, he bowed respectfully, as far as his old bones would allow, and said:
-"It is ten years since you saw me plant a fig tree. Here I am a little more bent to share, with your Majesty, my best choice of the figs from that tree, with which God has graced me."
A greatly touched Adrian ordered the figs to be placed at his table and the old man's basket filled with gold coins. The courtiers remarked to the emperor: -"Your Highness, why have you done this honour to this old Galilean?"
Hadrian wisely replied:
-"God has given him a magnificent honour, and I cannot and should not attempt to match my donation, to the gift given to him by God!"
In perfumery, the so-called fig notes can be derived from different parts of the fig tree. The leaf gives us a refreshing green note that will make us feel refreshed as if in the shade of the tree. The fruit has a very distinctive aroma from other gourmand notes and is usually sweet, juicy, ripe and bright. The sap can be bitter, earthy and milky. Usually not all the noses enjoy all the differentiated scent nuances coming from the same tree. Some noses don't like any of them. Premier Figuier Eau de Toilette
is one of the fig perfumes I like the best, along with the different and sweeter Fleur de Figuier Eau de Parfum
. I don't like a fig fragrance to be overly fresh, green or sour acid.
That said, my fig perfume preferences are easy to understand. L'Artisan perfume opens slightly sweet with peach and slightly sourly green with fig leaf and asafoetida. Then, in the heart, a fig fruit scent mild sweetness is distinctly noticeable, but without slowing down the initial freshness. At the base, a smooth sweetness remains. With the addition of milky and woody notes of sandalwood, almond milk, coconut milk, and dried fruits. the fragrance ends up mimicking the different facets of the various fig accords. The overall balance is very pleasant.
What about a Premier Figuier Eau de Toilette
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Opening: 8.0 (Some restrained freshness amidst initial peach sweetness evolving to secondary fig fruit sweetness.)
- DryDown: 9.0 (A well-accomplished fig mild sweetness, blended with milky and woody accords)
- Longevity: 7.0 (3 sprays last up to 6 hours)
- Sillage: 6.0 (4 feet of sillage and up to 2.0 hours of projection, with 3 sprays.)
- Uniqueness: 9.0 (It's somewhat unique with its capacity of showing all the facets of fig, and bearing in mind that it was created in 1994. It certainly influenced the more recent by two years and similar Philosykos Eau de Toilette
- Wearability: 8.0 (Not suitable for cold weather; fantastic for sunny days.)
- Versatility: 8.5 (It's not a night fragrance. Everything else is allowed)
- Praise: 7.5 (It will reward you with some compliments from fig scent lovers, and curiosity from the noses around you)
- Quality: 9.0 (The perfumer execution is good but the performance is only average for this type of scent)
- Presentation: 8.0 (Simple, attractive, but similar to all other L'Artisan perfumes)
- Price: 7.0 (I bought my 50 ml bottle for € 39 a few years ago; it currently sells for about € 50)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 7.91 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 = above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recommended;
- above 9 = definitely not to be missed;
A fragrance type for lovers of a blending that covers all fig notes. As it is a bit particular scent, you'd better try it before purchasing it. I quite like it.
Music: Kaoma - "Lambada"