Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur
Timbuktu is a popular perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur for men and was released in 2004. The scent is spicy-woody. It was last marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesPink pepperPink pepper
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoinBenzoin
MyrrhMyrrh
PatchouliPatchouli
VetiverVetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.10.2021.

All senses
Timbuktu appeals to all the senses. You feel the burning Sahel sun and the warm tamped clay soil in an inner courtyard under a date palm, hear balfon, djembe, and dondon drums, taste the freshly brewed millet beer dolo from a calebasse (dried pumpkin half), and smell.... the smoke of the fireplace, the dust, the goats, the black wood of the masks, the raw cotton, and the fresh indigo color...
A foreign yet familiar world. Concentrated in one bottle. This is the ideal fragrance for a little escape from the Western European, rushed everyday life; to look at the hamster wheel with a different perspective from the outside. This is not meant to be a romanticization of scarcity and poverty. On the contrary, a change of perspective, a classification of priorities becomes possible.

Incense masterpiece!
Yeah, it is really a masterpiece. And you know that when you smell something different that fits you well and gives you different facets during the lifetime, plus makes you feel better and complete.

This is a incense scent with a green vetiver base and supported by fruity and slightly spicy elements. Sometimes I get berries, sometimes I get mango. I'm their website, they list red berries as a note but on Parfumo/Fragrantica they list Mango. I guess the mango association comes to a comparison of another scent that, to me, has a similar vibe and some similar notes. Un jardin sur le Nil by Hermès.

They both have vetiver, fruity elements (mango) and incense. The difference is that the Hermès is more green and watery and a bit more citrusy. This, in contrary, is a bit more resinous and airy. I love both but i find this one a more grown up version of the Hermès.

To me, it's a great summer / mild weather scent. It's refreshing due to the fruity facet and has character with vetiver and incense notes. I always prefer to wear vetiver scents during spring and summer time. They just work. And this one is no exception. Doesn't evolve much since the fresh fruity vibe starts to dry down a bit. It gets a bit more woody. But the sillage is superb. Not that it projects a lot but the sillage for the first hours is really alluring and relaxing.

Incense is a very relaxing note. And combined with fruits, resins (i detect a bit of myrrh), green vetiver and incense makes it perfect. Duchaufour is a master of incense scents and is capable of create this weird but great combo of fruits and resins (see Jubilation XXV). I just can't get enough of it.

I can't see any imperfections on this one. The performance is good, sillage/bubble scent is perfect, the smell it's outstanding and the price is decent for what you get. Overall, a must have fragrance, a classic and a perfect scent.

5/5
Polyantha
Unlike what I first thought...
In a raffle here I won a lot of beautiful perfume samples, and am very happy that I may now train my beginner's nose (a big thank you for it to Knopfnase!).
Now I can blindly reach into the box and just try where chance takes me. Today I landed at Timbuktu.

In the first moment, when I sprayed this fragrance on my forearm, I thought still, slightly horrified, "What is this now for a cologne?". A few moments later, the aftershave stereotype then but gave way to another perception: "...Hmmm... that has but a delicious undertone....".

There is a very nice scent development here. The slight freshness in the top notes, which I can't identify as mango so, lingers for a long time. Here at last is a vetiver scent that doesn't collapse into citrus. Vetiver combines with myrrh here and the two make a great and unusual team, subtly taking the frankincense into its midst. Patchouli also does not push itself forward.
Unobtrusively, the benzoin contributes a slight spicy sweetness, which pleasantly underpins the fragrance and intercepts the metallic and somewhat musty sharpness of the vetiver.

The result is a multi-layered and complex fragrance that brings out each of its components beautifully and harmoniously. Nothing slips here into the banal, and there is no cheap showmanship. This fragrance relies on the sophistication with which the individual elements of its structure are interwoven, has depth and seems natural.

It is not a classic, even if it seems so in the first approach and it is quite suitable for the office. While little noisy, its composition seems to me but still too peculiar and special to classify it as a classic.

Even if he is designated by the manufacturer as a men's fragrance, I can see him just as on a woman. Liebstentauglich I find him all the time

Vetiver-Centric Fragrance
I was gifted a vintage bottle of Timbuktu by a lovely friend some long while back now. I did not test it right away, but I finally stumbled upon it last night after I bathed and decided to give it a go. I had some trepidation because of the vetiver note, but there are enough positive on-line reviews that I decided to try it before bed.

There have been many reviews of this fragrance on any number of websites, and I agree with many of the reviewers. This is a vetiver-centric scent to my nose. I also detect some dry woods and a bit of incense. I do not detect the other notes. I like it best in the deep dry down. I think it leans masculine, but I feel most vetiver-centric fragrances are masculine or lean masculine. As for the fragrance, it is okay, but it is not the kind of scent I would wear with any degree of regularity. I am sure there would be some days whence this fragrance would feel a good choice for the day or the evening, but I think they would be few compared to most of my other fragrances. I feel the same way about Donna Karan's Woman, although I like Timbuktu more. I like Timbuktu more than Chanel's widely beloved Sycamore, too. I can at least imagine myself wearing Timbuktu on occasion, but I cannot imagine where I would ever wear Sycamore which is beautifully done but just too much vetiver for my tastes. I enjoy a nice hay note like the one in Chergui, but vetiver smells very different to my nose. I would prefer hay in this fragrance much more than vetiver.

I think this is a nice fragrance for men; however, there are other men's fragrances I personally would prefer to smell on a man, e.g. Habit Rouge or vintage Aramis. I think it is unisex enough for women to wear it if they really love vetiver. It could be worn day or night at virtually any venue. I used about 8 sprays, and still performance was very average on my skin, but my bottle is quite old, and that may have something to do with it. It smells best to me in the deep dry down after the vetiver melds more with the woods and incense, but mind you, the vetiver never goes away in this composition, and I can smell it in the deep dry down still.

Fragrance: 5/10
Sillage: 4/10
Projection: 4/10
Longevity: 3/10

Duchaufour magic
On my skin I get an opening of both green and ripe mango, juicy berries and hints of pepper and cardamom. Into the drydown beautiful Vetiver becomes prominent, a grassy accompaniment to the sweet fruits. Incense starts to arrive, just lightly, smoke just wafting in the breeze. Notes of ancient and revered papyrus add a woody tang with the exotic Karo-Karounde flower adding a slightly indolic floral to the mix. Myrrh, subtle and heavenly, you are aware of, and as this goes on, bits of Benzoin pulse through.

Beautiful!
Vrabec
En Voyage chez l'Artisan perfumer: 1 Timbuktu - between oasis and jungle.

I became aware of the house l'Artisan Parfumeur through longer activity in this forum, as well as Luca Turin's positive mention.
The house was founded in 1976, long before the "niche hype", with the aim of putting the craft back into the center of perfumery. To what extent this was only marketing or is still the case today, I am not able to judge. Here, too, the spirits are divided on Parfumo. In any case, the classic flacons with a golden cap, which are a suitable distinguishing feature of the brand, are a perfect match Apart from that, I think we are looking at Bertrand Duchaufour's masterpiece. He created Jubilation XXV as well as several other fragrances from L'Artisan Parfumeur.

The fragrance opens with a sweet and slushy note, which comes from the mango, but reminds me of poppy cake or marzipan. For some people, the mango seems overripe, fermented... comparable to the grapefruit of Terre d'Hermes. I smell sweet edible as well as unripe, hard and green mango. Pepper and cardamom are present, but never spicy, almost shyly they are content with their role as secondary actors. Similar things happen later on, vetiver takes its place alongside mango, incense, benzoin and myrrh appear thoughtful and unobtrusive. And this despite the fact that, as spicy, dry notes, they take up the fight against the wet, green, fruity components, which opponents might oppose.
The opposite is the case, they are given the long leash and that is what they want. So the green chords are louder, but every now and then they let the resins and spices take the stage. Thus an ensemble of jungle and oasis is created, of wicked and familiar. To fascinate beautifully, it takes me on a ride through the Orient and rainforest, savannah and steppe.

The fragrance can be classified neither exclusively in the modern nor in the classical direction, it has a little of both. Playful and fruity, but also tart - dry. It should be clear that this is not the highest form of enthusiasm from the outside. (I trace the comment; "you smell like grandfather's aftershave" back to vetiver)
Something similar I have never smelled (except for the drydown of Dzonghka) and I find that with increasing heat and sunshine it works just as well as in sultry weather.
Men over 25 can wear it, here I recommend a test to fans of Terre d'Hermes. It appeals to me very much, I smell incredible expressiveness. It smells more intellectual than Flirty, but not uninteresting
The Sillage is similarly weak as rated here, I would have wished for something more. But it should be clear that Timbuktu is not a banger. It acts as understatement, penetrance would destroy its appearance.

Thank you for reading my commentary and I plan to review more fragrances of the house in the future.
AnjaTom
THE most balanced mixture between modern and classic...
...but right at the beginning, he still doesn't really touch me!
I'm really very sensitive to "too classic" scents, I just don't like it!
Timbuktu lands here for me really in the middle, so the perfect mixture?
Not for me! Timbuktu is really 50:50, I personally prefer a 70:30 ratio (modern to classic). Without question, it is really well done (old version) and doesn't demand much from the wearer! An evergreen and pleasing scent for almost every occasion, for some even for the lonely island
It starts out fruity, some smell a mango, I can't really differentiate here, for me it's simply fruit (with a tendency to rot).
Also the incense plays here rather a subordinate role, for me it even smells slightly of rose.
The fruit decreases slightly over time, but overall the course is quite linear.

It remains a matter of taste! For me he does not fit into my collection!
Always TOP 10 favourite!
For me one of the TOP men's fragrances at all! Not too fruity and with a remarkably good papyrus-wood / vetiver base. The incense also does its part to create a cool and not too intrusive scent, which fortunately is outside the current Ambroxan paste trend!

Timbukto | Timeless scent
Timbuktu is magical. It’s woody, dark and mysterious. I was lucky to get hold of the older formulation. I also love this bottle more than the current/ darker one. However, it’s just personal taste. ⁠

Coming back to Timbuktu, the note of mango gives it a zing/ sharpness and notes of vetiver, incense, and papyrus give it a masculine tone. The scent is well rounded, sophisticated and warm. Incense/ Myrhh are definitely the stars of the show and I love it. ⁠

If I had to compare it with another fragrance, to my nose it smells like a lighter version of Encre Noire with an oriental flair! Also, the vetiver also reminds me of Terre d’Hermes but only a little. ⁠

Timbuktu is timeless and evergreen. I can’t wait to hear it when it gets cooler. If you didn’t get a chance to smell this, I would highly recommend you to look into this one!⁠

⭕Instagram: @eternalscentjourney
Oasis of the senses
For a long time I thought about how I would add a comment to this fragrance. The mere fact that I find it so difficult to establish a thematic reference pays Timbuktu a silent tribute. It is a scent with which I initially had my problems or to which I had no direct access. He kind of seemed "old" to me. That's the smell my grandpa wore - I thought to myself. Then autumn came and I thought I'd grab your rehearsal again. And wow, I was surprised, I suddenly heard an infinite depth, a pull into a hidden world, a journey to faraway lands and green oases. The idea of actually being in an oasis city (like Timbuktu is) is supported by incense and myrrh. These two scent components remain well dosed and make the scent oriental, but fortunately not smoky. Woods and vetivers as well as cardamom finally ensure that he gets his woody undertone and his smooth tones. For me, therefore, the fragrance can only be described in this trilogy: ORIENTAL_SPICY_WOODY!

Nor can I compare Timbuktu with any fragrance I have in my collection. I cannot renounce him and have worn him for several days in a row, which is really rare for me as I wear a different fragrance from my collection almost every day. It could become my new signature scent! I quickly realized that I finally had to buy it. And the beautiful, green and sublime bottle also goes perfectly with the fragrance and underlines its essence.

Timbuktu is also a true oasis in everyday life. I smell it and feel like on vacation, like in 1000 and one night, as if I was relieved of a moment of hectic and trouble and would lie under palm trees and watch the camels drinking. Moreover, it is a true feel-good scent. He makes it - just like Joop WOW! - to convey this feeling of security. One feels carried and enveloped.

Durability and Sillage are quite convincing with me. It lasts about 8-9 hours on my skin and the Sillage is perceptible about 3-4 hours on one arm length. Extra asked my sister to stop it :D

Nevertheless, this fragrance is truly not something for everyone! It may seem outdated to some and give the feeling that it should rather be worn by an older gentleman. So: test it at all costs! No blind buying! But if you are looking for a beautiful, dreamy and noble autumn scent, you might find it here.

P.S.: My mother only said about the scent, it smells like soap (well!)

Good evening,
Benedict

BielwenassBielwenass 9 months ago
Woody vetiver, a bit dry. Performance is lacking.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 year ago
Timbuktu starts green, smoky and spicy. You get some dirty vetiver and patchouli, mixed with myrrh and a lot of incense to round it up.
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
it's very spicy, balsamic and a bit woody and smoky. A different perfume but nevertheless very agreable and interesting.
PepdalPepdal 2 years ago
Any concerns about reformulation that may have occurred with a change of packaging https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKypad7ZdDU
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
Incense, myrrh, vetiver and a floral note of gardenia to disconcert any nose. Adorably mysterious! Probably the best "Artisan" for me.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 3 years ago
There's a Jubilation XXV vibe in this one. Bertrand's hands do magic. Truly underrated!
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Peppery dry incense with subtle fruity note. Exciting-modern and nice to wear at the same time. One of Duchaufour's best!
HajuvanaHajuvana 6 years ago
Raw fruit pulp and incense

Kurz vor der Oase
by Sherapop
by sebjar
by sebjar
by Caspita
unter dem strich eine vetiverbombe. sometimes too much for me.
by Couchlock
by Smellavision
by Carboytony
by Carboytony

Popular L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Eau du Caporal by L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur Bucoliques de Provence by L'Artisan Parfumeur L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur Œillet Sauvage by L'Artisan Parfumeur Mon Numéro 10 by L'Artisan Parfumeur Noir Exquis by L'Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse aux Papillons (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur Cœur de Vétiver Sacré by L'Artisan Parfumeur Vanille Absolument / Havana Vanille by L'Artisan Parfumeur Premier Figuier (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur Nuit de Tubéreuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur Traversée du Bosphore by L'Artisan Parfumeur Jour de Fête by L'Artisan Parfumeur