Rose 4 ReinesEau des 4 Reines (1990) Eau de Toilette

Rose 4 Reines / Eau des 4 Reines (Eau de Toilette) by L'Occitane en Provence

Rose 4 Reines is a perfume by L'Occitane en Provence for women and was released in 1990. The scent is floral-fresh. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesViolet leaf, Bergamot, Currant leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesGrasse rose, Bulgarian rose, Turkish rose, Moroccan rose
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Sandalwood, White cedar, Heliotrope

Submitted by Chemist, last update on 20.02.2019

7.0 6.0 6.0 7.5/10

Delicate, fresh roses
I got to know Roses 4 Reines from LÒccitane through an old perfumery salesman who recommended rose fragrances to me at the time. I was looking for Rose von Montfort Vienna, a fragrance from the sixties/seventies that nobody seems to know. He knew him...and was surprised where I got such an old perfume from (I had the bottle with me).
This nice old man had a nice little perfumery with dark wooden planks with a nice atmosphere. The old-fashioned wooden planks were reminiscent of the first half of the last century.
At least five, six years ago, he closed his store and retired. Too bad this perfumery isn't around anymore! The seller should be around seventy by now.
He gave me a test strip of this fragrance, which I kept for a long time in a perfume dictionary.
But I only bought the fragrance a few years ago, and unfortunately not in his nice shop anymore. If I had been as perfume-crazy back then as I am today, I would have liked to talk to the nice gentlemen more often.
Rose 4 Pure is a light and fresh fragrance in which everything revolves around the rose, as the name suggests. It is dedicated to the fragrances of four types of roses: the French Grasse rose, the Bulgarian rose, the Turkish rose and the Moroccan rose. Unfortunately I don't know the different rose varieties as well as others here from a botanical point of view. But I know one thing and that is that I like roses in the most different variations.
So the fragrance smells of fresh, delicate roses and yet it is strong enough to clearly perceive the roses. I also hear a little violet leaf, without the fragrance going in a powdery direction. It always stays fresh and musty. A little cedar gives the fragrance a breeze of spice, only lightly. It is sweetened by Heliotrop to a minimum. All in all, the fragrance remains very natural with a light scent character. I think it fits well into autumn and spring, because then at least with me the roses can unfold best. With too much or too little warmth (I have to retest again) he develops a slightly bitter note (tea?), which I personally do not like so much. It could last a little longer on the skin. He keeps himself on clothes for at least one day. On myself maybe three to four hours.
I'm glad I got to know this beautiful rose fragrance.
6.0 5.0 6.0 6.5/10

Non sweet fresh rose
I appreciate this rose perfume is fresh and woody and not too sweet. Violet and heliotrope are faint and soft. I'm not too fond of rose soliflor perfumes but I like this one in spring mornings. Clean, formal and austere without being dated or too cold. Longevity is around six hours and sillage is soft to moderate
7.5 5.0 5.0 6.0/10

Classic Rose
I quite like this little rose interpretation by L'Occitane. Although the rose note is dominant, it's not a soliflore. Other interesting notes that make up this fragrance's composition are, powdery violets, smooth heliotrope and musty cedarwood.

I've come to love this fragrance due to its rather subtle nature. Some rose scents tend to be overpowering, but this fragrance keeps it soft and simple. It smells feminine and fresh on the skin, with a slight Spring-like aura, which makes it suitable for those beautiful, sunny days.

Some reviewers have noted a fruity accord which tends to compliment the rose throughout. I'm not so certain that it's fruits or citruses that I smell, but more likely the crisp roses creating a somewhat tarty finish on the skin.

The heart and drydown are both clean but one-dimensional, with soft roses and slightly powdery violets on a rich cedar base. You won't be blown away by Eau de 4 Reines, but you should be pleased. The scent is certainly pleasant and refreshing.

I do enjoy wearing Eau de 4 Reines for the most part, although I must admit that occasionally I desire something a little more complex. For days when I struggle to choose what to wear, Eau de 4 Reines is a good and safe choice. The sillage and longevity are average, but definitely not disappointing. I'm happy that I've tried this one.
5.0/10

4 Rosezzzz
Rose 4 Reines (i prefer Eau des 4 Reines, though) is marketed as a rose soliflore that features 4 different roses (french, bulgarian, turkish and moroccan, which are actually 2 types, one centifollia and 3 damascenas, so i better say 4 origin denominations) so one would expect a very intense rose experience.
Thats what i expected and, well, Rose 4 Reines is indeed a very rose centered fragance but i wouldn´t remark the intensity or the beauty of the rose here, to be completely honest.
Basically i don´t enjoy the approach to this ingredient. Not every rose soliflore is my personal taste, like Diptyque´s Eau Rose or Goutal´s Ce Soir Ou Jamais (compared to some beloved roses like Frederic Malle´s or Perfumer Workshop´s roses) but they are well done and the rose is beautifully portayed and enhanced.

Not the case of this 4 slumbering (perhaps drunk?) queens. Rose is there, all the time, but smells kind of dimmed under a thick layer of powder and a slightly skunky musk. Truly a very conventionally femenine, boudouir type of fragance. A touch of violet pastilles, slightly cosmetic (ylang?) and definitely a very warm, almost ambery approach to the rose note that makes it not very suitable for the warmer seasons. Therefore, not a very fresh rose, and not a trace of the promised green opening (i have experienced this with other L´Occitane fragances, the opening notes are really thin and fleeting) and definitely lacking the depth, intensity and multiple facets that this rose compilation promises. Is it regal? i guess you can say that, if for you regal means boring.

On its favour, very good longevity and diffusion.

by Echtdufte