Vanille & Narcisse (2013)

Vanille & Narcisse by L'Occitane en Provence

Vanille & Narcisse is a perfume by L'Occitane en Provence for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is sweet-floral. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBlackcurrant, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesNarcissus, Gardenia
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Tonka bean

Submitted by Joe, last update on 06.02.2019

6.0 6.0 7.0 6.0/10

Budget Lancôme Poême
The opening of Vanille & Narcisse does have some black currants. It then soon evolves into a combination of vanilla, tonka beans and some yellow flowers, which strangely smells a little sour to me. Actually I'm not sure if I smell narcissus. The floral part slightly reminds of Lancôme Poême. Towards the end, with yellow flowers fading, the powdery vanilla and tonka beans combo also has some caramel-like aspect.

The longevity is around 7 hours on me. The sillage is moderate and manages to keep the intensity during the wearing. It's quite sweet and intense. Overdoing it will be tiring.
9.0/10

Smoky Vanilla
It's a good thing the Occitane lady told me this is discontinued: as soon as I found out about that, I had to have one. At first, I liked the perfume but was not blown away. On second try, the vanilla became much more prominent and a little smoky. It comes our right at the beginning and the narcissus opens up in the heart. I love the way the vanilla and narcissus play up one another. The scent is smooth, flowery but not overwhelming.
10.0 10.0 9.0/10

smooth, non-girly vanilla
Even though the word "vanille" is right there in the name, this one is sooooo smooth and balanced that I suspect it might appeal to even the vanilla-aversed among us, both male and female, because this vanilla is so down-to-earth and non-girly. No cupcakes, cookies or vanilla extract here.

Tonka bean and vanilla provide a natural smelling base for subtle amounts of bergamot, black current and floral notes to intermingle and complement one another in such a way that, had I not seen the list of notes, I would not have been able to guess them except for the vanilla, tonka and bergamot.

Even though it's designated as unisex, I feel it leans enough toward the masculine that it could easily have been marketed exclusively to men, due in part, I'm guessing, to the bergamot, which always seems to impart a touch of cool freshness, and is so commonly found in men's fragrances.

With only a couple dabs to my wrists, I detect the subtle smoothness of this scent all day long, so it does indeed behave like an EDP.

I am enjoying my sample very much, but I would prefer to smell this on a man rather than on myself. It seems timeless, as though it would feel right on anyone from a trendy 20-something to my dad, if he were still around. Classy, is what I guess I'm trying to say. I like it a lot.
Edit: several years later, rediscovering my sample vial in a bathroom drawer. Now it reminds me of Shalimar. And, alas, it has been discontinued.
8.0/10

Ysbrand
vanille et narcisse et vice versa.
La Collection de Grasse included 4 new fragances which are rather nice, but quite forgettable too, with the exception of Vanille & Narcisse, which is the only one i would consider purchasing. This is unusual for me, since i am not a huge admirer of vanilla-centered fragances, specially if they are too sweet or fluffy. In the case of Vanille & Narcisse, the vanilla note is probably closer to the "fermented orchid" than to the dessert ingredient and it is not overpowering at all.

So this perfect balance between the vanilla and the narcissus where both boost each other instead or being one the supporter of the other, fulfills the aspirations of L´Occitane when they say they pursued a fusion of exotic and autocthonous ingredients, being the narcissus the french one. Narcissus, a note that in my opinion was not used as much as it deserves (because i love it) has been the focus of several recent launches, starting with the TF Jonquille de Nuit, and then the (stunning) Eau de Narcisse Bleu of Hermes, Nest´s limited White Narcissus, a Diptyque candle and now this.

It is a sensual, cheeky fragance from the beginning. Narcissus is handsomely featured and smells natural. This flower that stands on the crossroad of the green and the animalic, veers to the warmth of the white flower. Vanilla is the one to blame,and a touch of creamy carnality of gardenia that is really hard to catch by itself, since is so semlessly integrated in the narcissus... but the fragance is not heavy at all, but quite light and wearable. I noticed some spice, but i should smell it again, maybe nutmeg. Definitely a floriental. After a 2/3 hours, when the narcissus is not more than a whisper, the tonkilla stay for longer. The drydown is not overly sweet, slightly resinous, a tad of smoke. Sexy stuff.

The price is higher than the other L´Occitane perfumes. The Lady of L´Occitane told me they are indeed eaux de parfums, but they labeled as eaux de toilette because they were going to be launched in summer and didnt´t want the people to perceive them as "heavy". I guess marketing brains think of this things, but why such a positive feature, as high concentration is, would be concealed and reduced to a (suspicious) customer-Lady of L´Occitane secret confession? I dont know what to think. Not so much not so little. It lasts much longer than other eaux de toilettes of the brand, but it´s not incredibly intense (intensity is not a L´Occitane forté) which makes it a good choice for summer too despite the vanilla/tonka based perfumes seem more appropriate for cold weather.

Nice one, L´Occitane.

UPDATE: the cassis and the gardenia are somehow more noticeable on the bath line. The fragance after a shower really stays on the skin, although is a bit pricey.

by Jasmine87