Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Bois Farine is a perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur for women and men and was released in 2003. The scent is woody-powdery. It is being marketed by Puig.

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit, Fennel seed
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Ambrette seed, Wheat, Grain
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Gaiac wood, Sandalwood, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 20.08.2019

Perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena drew his inspiration from the Ruizia Cordata tree, which is only found in Réunion Island. The tree's tiny red flowers surprisingly have a starchy scent, redolent of flour.

6.0 4.0 6.0 8.0/10

Eccentric Woody Gourmand
The opening of Bois Fariné definitely reminds me of some bread or cakes that I smelt before. I don't think it smells like peanut butter or nutella on me. I just can't put my finger on it! (What on earth is it? It's driving me crazy! Grrrrrr....... =A=)

After about 3 or 4 hours, the benzoin loses its power on the fragrance. The sandalwoods and other woodsy notes become more prominent. The scent also turns slightly sour on me. The powdery aspect is noticeable but not aggressive.

The sillage is soft but the scent stays solid along the wearing. The longevity is around 6 hours on me. Actually, Bois Fariné doesn't evoke much emotion to me. I'm attracted by the scent itself as it smells just so interesting and addictive. It definitely worths at least a try!
7.0 7.0 8.0 6.0/10

Nofretete
Journey to the land of the baker's flower
Bois farine begins surprisingly, even overwhelmingly. It smells penetratingly of damp flour, a little later of popcorn, fat-free and slightly salted, with a mineral, earthy note of wet clay fragments. Original is that undoubtedly, but portable or pleasant?

With time, the flour note becomes austere and stale, pressing it lies on the central floral chord. Dark iris root is accompanied by marzipan heliotrope, at the same time flowery light and powdery heavy. Gradually the cereal muffle gives way, finally letting the beautiful floweriness come to the fore. As a contrast to the violent opening, the fragrance ends gently and flatteringly. The velvety, sweet benzoe-guaiac wood mixture is covered with a hint of light flowers until the end.

Who doesn't like to indulge in travel memories! Mr. Ellena created a perfume from his impressions of the island state La Réunion with its exotic vegetation and the French-influenced Creole culture. With Bois Farine he has set a monument to the endemic flour blossom tree, which almost died out at the turn of the millennium, and created an unusual fragrance work of art.

Nevertheless I would rather look at photos of La Réunion and eat a pastry instead of perfuming myself with flour pollen. Or rather: travel there yourself and smell these extraordinary tree blossoms in the Botanical Garden.
5.0 2.5 5.0 1.0/10

Bois Farine
This fragrance starts with an accord that smells like flour, salt and nuts. It is rather dry and indeed reminiscent of peanut butter. As the fragrance progresses the woodsy notes appear, mainly sandalwood with a dash of iris to make it more creamy-powdery and peppery cedar wood. Once its has reached this stage, the fragrance stays the same until fades. I have to say this is a really odd wood fragrance unlike most others I have encountered.
10.0/10

Palo Santo Sticks
I love palo santo, or "holy wood," and I have a lot of the raw wood as well as the pure essential oil. It is difficult to describe the scent of it, but I will try. It's definitely woody; but not dark like oud. It's naturally sweet only to the extent that it's not bitter or dry like cedar or birch. It smells a bit creamy and smoky too, although these attributes are subtle.

Bois Farine, my friends, is not farine at all. It's pure palo santo in a bottle. Ok there might be a few extra notes, like some powdery florals, but all in all, this is nearly identical to my palo santo wood and oil. I never thought I would be able to find this wood so prominently in any perfume, so I am thrilled to have found Bois Farine.

SUMMARY: Holy moly, this wood is good

jtd
not the skin scent i was looking for
I've been thinking about how I'd write about Bois Farine. It's novel, it's interesting in light of Ellena's other work. It's got a hefty dose of that jolie-laide thing that made whole eras (80s) and genres (fruity chypres) of perfumery interesting. Hell, I like it. It drives a herky-jerky line between starched and savory.

I wore it today to a basic life support re-certification class today. As it turns out, we had to demonstrate more than explain today. About 4 minutes into my first round of chest compressions, at the sweat point, I started to smell as if I'd been hiding peanut butter sandwiches under my arms. It was a 3 hour class. I don't think my classmates enjoyed the nouvelle-gourmande experience so much.
10.0 5.0 5.0 8.0/10

Flour Implies Baking Implies Mother Implies Safety
Imagine a pile of white flour in the middle of a sawmill that processes dark wood trees into planks to be used to build stable and secure houses in the country that are havens from metropolitan madness. L'Artisan Parfumeur BOIS FARINE smells literally just like that.

I am not one to be seduced by names--I often take issue with them--so I do not believe that my experience of BOIS FARINE is being caused by my belief that this edt should smell, as advertised, like "woods of flour" or "flour forest" or "woody flour". And yet it does!

This is a comfort scent, to be sure. A warm woody unisex linear that imparts a sense of protection. The flour note (not listed, but somehow emergently created from other components...) manages to subliminally evoke the image of a big baking kitchen in which white flour abounds. Flour implies baking implies mother implies safety.

Yes, BOIS FARINE really is a warm, woody, flour-y comfort scent that would appeal to men and women alike. No need to chain your doors!
5.0 7.5 5.0 5.0/10

Bois Farine
The Opening reminds of a white chocolate with almonds. very refined
and stately like a elegant white gown
going to a cotillion during the 1900's in the deep south this perfume is ideal for southren belles it's subtile ladylike and sweet like the legendary georgia trees this might be the perfume that blanche du bois wore.
it's a little to tame for Scarlet o' Hara And way to tame for blanche devereaux. this has a southren elegance to it.

by Merlina