Bucoliques de Provence 2016

Bucoliques de Provence by L'Artisan Parfumeur
Bucoliques de Provence is a popular limited perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is spicy-floral. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation Limited Edition

Top Notes Top NotesProvençal lavender, Juniper berry
Heart Notes Heart NotesSeillans lavender
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Orris absolute, Spices

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 24.09.2020.

Jersey
Idyllic Landurlab away from the hustle and bustle
When I hear or see the word Provence, the wavy carpets of lavender fields in different shades of blue, grey to violet and sometimes green appear.
If Bucoliques de Provence is meant as a lavender scent - then the lavender mixed here is the most beautiful, very warm and cuddly (no "strict and cold pharmacy"), accompanied by other fragrant herbal ingredients - such as rosemary, mown grass, fougère; it is an "old school" scent with a touch of fine soft leather. I feel very comfortable wearing it, like in a hidden idyllic place in the area between Aix-En-Provence - Avignon or the Van Gogh city of Arles. Bucoliques de Provence is not a "screamer", its silage is more modest, but it is a very pleasant and natural scent. (at least for me)
Deception

My fondness for lavender fragrances is no longer a secret. Let's do a quick count: Nine lavender fragrances are currently in my collection - almost exclusively used in the evening, by the way, because I love to fall asleep surrounded by this wonderful aroma. Bucoliques de Provence, on the other hand, I always wear them during the day. Why is that? It's simple: because for me it's everything, but not a lavender scent! Leather scent? Iris scent? Juniper scent? Oh yes, that's it! Lavender? I can only answer that with a very hesitant "yes" For me, the fragrance begins spicy - and clearly smells of juniper berries and leaves. Green, but not bright, juicy green, but muted, rather grey-green. There is a series of paintings by Paul Cézanne showing the Mont Sainte-Victoire in Provence, I am spontaneously reminded of this colouring.
Immediately the iris is also present, dry-powdery, in fact with a touch of freshly sharpened pencils. Then Bucoliques de Provence develops more and more into an elegant leather scent - and suddenly I think I smell lavender after all. In retrospect, lavender was also present right at the beginning, but confusingly, I only recognize it in my memory when the spicy beginning can only be guessed at.
Leather in fragrances is sometimes a problem for me, but here it's not like a real leather smell, which is often too much or too animalistic for me, but almost as if the idea of leather had only been played with. It's difficult to explain, because Bucoliques de Provence is definitely a natural scent, but nevertheless the individual scents seem like a Chinese drawing: perfect, captured in detail - and in this perfection somehow artificial.
For me it is a relaxed scent, reserved and as a delicate breeze it surrounds me and never pushes itself into the foreground. On fabric, by the way, it is much more present than on the skin and all in all, this wonderful dreamy scent proves to be surprisingly long-lasting.
And so every time I spray Bucoliques de Provence, I am happy that my expectations were disappointed in my search for a lavender scent - and instead I found something unexpected, surprising and new.

A Lavender Version of Cuir d'Ange
Bucoliques de Provence opens with a beautiful lavender note. It's aromatic, herbal, and moderately earthy thanks to the subtle rooty aspect of iris hiding underneath, yet at the same time, it smells clean to me. Thankfully, the clean effect here is not due to the metallic, screechy faux-lavender note routinely dosed in many commercial fragrances' top notes, but is achieved through a steamy, fluffy white musk layered over everything, like applying a blur filter to create a soft, dreamy ambiance on the picture.

The leather and the iris here are the faithful companions to the grey-purple lavender. The bridge between lavender and leather is built around the hay facet present in both, which at times smells even a bit spicy. Iris also fits seamlessly in the picture, thanks to its velvety texture linking to the leather and its earthy characteristics shared with lavender. Sometimes, when the violet facet of iris meets the subtle herbal spiciness, I can even smell a vivid herbal violet note popping up occasionally.

With time, the boundary between these notes become more and more blurred. After about 2 hours, Bucoliques de Provence becomes a sensual, musky suede skin scent. This supple, slightly powdery white musk and suede actually remind me of the dry down of Hermès Cuir d'Ange, but this time with the aromatic, hay facet and the earthy rooty nuance humming in the background.

The sillage of Bucoliques de Provence is initially moderate during its first hour, and then drops to the proximity of the skin for the rest of time. It lasts about 8 hours on my skin.

Starting from Bucoliques de Provence, the recent releases from the main line of L'Artisan all seem to favour a more straightforward structure with a naturalistic, bucolic style. Here, the lavender field in Provence and the leather representing the historic glover industry in Grasse make a solid alliance with iris as the witness. Each accord has subtle yet rich nuances to evoke a natural sensation, while the fragrance as a whole is easy to appreciate and exudes an effortless elegance thanks to the precise dose and choice of the clean yet skin-like, plush white musk. I would definitely recommend it as a refined lavender fragrance with a delicate iris-suede undertone.

lavender candy for sophisticates
I don't get any of the leather or spice here. Instead, I enjoy a minute of highest-quality lavender, followed by a minute of rootiest orris. Then, they merge to form a delicious Jordan almond infused with lavender water. Some powder and iris, a suggestion of almond and lavender, and a pastille's hard candy coating. My formula for this scent: (L'eau d'Hiver + Hiris) x 1/3 = Bucolique

OPomoneOPomone 5 years ago
Starts with a feral bite, ends with a powdery kiss.
That is, spicy lavender morphs into gentle iris.
I just wish the journey lasted longer.

Popular L'Artisan Parfumeur

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur L'Eau du Caporal by L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur Mon Numéro 10 by L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse aux Papillons (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur Œillet Sauvage by L'Artisan Parfumeur Cœur de Vétiver Sacré by L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur Vanille Absolument / Havana Vanille by L'Artisan Parfumeur Premier Figuier (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur Nuit de Tubéreuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur Noir Exquis by L'Artisan Parfumeur Aedes de Venustas by L'Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur Traversée du Bosphore by L'Artisan Parfumeur