Vanille AbsolumentHavana Vanille (2009)

Vanille Absolument / Havana Vanille by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Vanille Absolument is a perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is gourmand-spicy. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesClove, Mandarin, Orange, Rum
Heart Notes Heart NotesNarcissus, Rose, Tobacco leaf, Dry fruits
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Musk, Tolu balm, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 22.11.2019.

MasterLi
A dark, sweet, boozy vanilla...
I really like this one. I find it has a wonderful very complex vanilla note. In some respects it reminds me of vanilla extract. But there are also dried, boozy fruits here, and it really adds character to the scent.

It is strong but it is interesting. I love the way it sits on skin and develops. In a dark and intriguing way. This is another example of a great vanilla scent which I would recommend to anyone who wanted to move away from the sugary, ice-cream like vanillas found in other fragrances, to this one, which has a dark, complex and grown up aspect. I really like it and would happily recommend it for cool weather.
6.0/10

Kxnaiades
a cigar in one hand, whiskey in another
Review for Havana Vanille (which to me is a different composition from Vanille Absolument which I found had a far more screechy opening). This is definitely not a gourmand vanilla ( at least to my nose it isn't). It's a herbal/tobacco dry vanilla that's just slightly sweet. I love it personally but I can see that this is a love it/hate it perfume as it's a little strange/challenging on the nose? I agree with the comparison to ELDO compositions. The herbal/tobacco/rum combination...it's very intriguing to say the least. Those who hate licorice will want to stay far away from this as the note is quite intense in the opening. The drydown is my favourite part where it is less intent on challenging your nose and becomes a softer, comforting and warm, ever just slightly sweet woody vanilla. It lasted about six hours on me and by then it was truly a skin scent. I find this more interesting a composition than Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille although that is also a fond favourite for this catergory of scent.
8.0/10

Not an edible cookie
Many of the low sugar vanillas are simply too masculine for me to pull off. For instance, take any of the unisex Serge Lutens or Tom Fords that are vanilla-based -- Not only are they awful on me, but they are despised by those around me. However, I still love the dry & dark character of many of those fragrances.

Thank goodness for Vanille Absolument. For a gal who tends to favor feminine and sweet vanillas, Vanille Absolument is very wearable, even if it is not an edible cookie. I still get that dry & dark characteristic that I love, plus the tobacco is fairly prominent in the heart. In addition, there is a wee bit of spice, a tinge of floral and some rum on top - all of these accords make it an interesting and complex vanilla scent to wear.

In the heart, Vanille Absolument is a cigar - a vanilla-tinged one, but still a cigar, from the leaf wrapper to the moist tobacco to the smoke as it burns, this is cigar and a likable one at that. As a former cigarette smoker and an occasional cigar smoker, Vanille Absolument has me jonesing for more. However, it's not so overwhelming that I will jump off the wagon, so I think non-smokers and former smokers still might be OK with it.

When dry, Vanille Absolument is a vanilla skin scent on me. The balsam, tonka bean, and benzoin, coupled with the vanilla, make it noticable but soft. Overall, Vanille Absolument works with my girlie-girl chemistry, instead of against it like many of the Lutens and Fords.

Vanille Absolument is a dark, oriental vanilla. Unlike my experience with most vanillas marked unisex, this one truly is. I highly recommend it for sampling by cookie eaters, vanilla lovers ... and smokers.
10.0 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Cuban Fantasy
Simple vanilla perfumes generally strike me as boring and banal, probably because they smell so much like the big bottle of Mexican vanilla bean extract in my kitchen. Yes, it smells good, but I cannot really muster up much enthusiasm for the idea of showering my body with it. L'Artisan Parfumeur VANILLE ABSOLUMENT, however, that's a very different story.

This is probably the most complex vanilla perfume I've ever encountered, so the first wonderful aspect is that it really seems like a perfume rather than just a mono-note vanilla fragrance. There are so many beautiful and engaging facets to this creation that it is hard to say which I find most appealing. The tolu balsam and benzoin add a creamy lusciousness. The tobacco leaf has a fresh greenness, but also the scent of processed tobacco before burning. The rum is evident in the opening, but it smells more like cognac to me, thankfully, since I dislike rum. There is an initial booziness, but it is brown (not dark rum!) without having any sort of molasses quality to it. At times the composition seems woody to me, perhaps it's the vetiver. The florals are blended in with everything else to embellish the creamy vanilla and tobacco facets. It may sound like a mess, but the blend works beautifully for me.

I always eschewed vanilla perfumes before, but this complex and gorgeous creation has proven at last that a great vanilla perfume is possible. Thank you Bertrand Duchaufour!
7.5 7.5 10.0 10.0/10

Green Vanilla
This is one of my very favorite vanillas. Lightly spiced, musty, and a little bit green, Vanille Absolument stands out as unique. It is not a smoky, incensy vanilla, nor is it too dark or intense. Its green naturalness gives it an inherent simplicity. Very wearable and versatile for so many different occasions, but I like to use it for casual days. If I put vanilla in my mouth that tasted like this, I would spit it out. It takes talent to create such an inedible vanilla. It's just like a vanilla cigar that has not been lit.

SUMMARY: "I asked her what's her name, she said Guantanamera." ~Wyclef Jean
7.5 7.5 5.0/10

Not the best vanilla, at least not in my opinion
I love vanilla fragrances, especially during the Winter months, as I find them both soothing and warm. Admittedly it's not a vanilla gourmand that I'm usually searching for on my quest to find the perfect vanilla. So seeing that I prefer my vanilla scents with a touch of spice, I was quite convinced that Havana Vanille would meet my requirements.

Although Havana Vanille isn't overly sweet, it does remind me of vanilla icecream, which kind of classes it as a gourmand to my nose. The vanilla icecream note isn't necessarily bad, but since I have grown tired of eating vanilla icecream over the years, the scent has lost its charm too.

With vanilla icecream comes a strong condensed milk accord, and this is what I'm smelling plenty of in Havana Vanille. In all honesty I find this fragrance a little cloying and difficult to wear. I wore it shopping last night and this morning, and yet my original opinion has not changed.

The top notes are where this composition tends to struggle, with fluffy vanilla, condensed milk and dusty immortelle. I have to wait this fragrance out for a good couple of hours before I begin to enjoy some stronger hints of spice, rum and resins. By the drydown I can safely say I am beginning to like Havana Vanille, although I am still far from loving it.

For any Australians reading this review, Havana Vanille smells exactly like Bulla's Vanilla Ice Cream. To sum up this product for overseas readers, Bulla icecream is less creamy than other brands and is more light, watery and icy.

I was unimpressed by the longevity of Havana Vanille. I usually have a lot of respect for L'Artisan, and I still do, but this particular fragrance pales in comparison to the rest of their range. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

reinvent the wheel
12/2012
Bertrand Duchafour is the poster child for the perfumer-as-auteur movement.  Contrary to the old school of perfumery, he speaks publicly about his work, is identified by perfume producers as the composer of the work and has identifiable styles. He is commonly discussed as an artist and creator, still a fairly new phenomenon. When his work is discussed, you often see words such as translucent, sheer, radiant, weightless.  I only know a small fraction of his work, but I'm interested in the meaning of this weightless quality.

Duchaufour takes elements that we recognize (incense, orange blossom, vanilla, and rose for example) then separates the 'flavor' of the scent from other material qualities that our noses identify as weight, viscosity, density. Removing what reads to the nose as mass or palpability from identifiable aromas gives fascinating results. The perfumes aren't less complex or thinner than traditional perfumes. They are not simply diminished. They become twisted in a manner that implicitly makes us question the works until we've come to some understanding of them. Timbuktu feels not so much like an incense fragrance, but an answer the question, is light a wave or a particle? Timbuktu's radiance says wave.  Vanille Absolument doesn't change vanilla itself, it alters the context and gives us a vanilla pod in zero-G.  Can the flavor of Turkish Delight be separated from its material manifestation and placed as a permanent watermark on a perfume? (Yes, Traversée du Bosphore)

Duchaufour's work, more than any in the past 20 years of perfumery, takes us back to one of the original questions posed by modern perfumery, starting with the coumadin in Fougere Royale:  how do you define synthetic and natural?  In the late 19th century the answers might have seemed clearer, though no less interesting. Duchaufour's take is not to argue for a distinction, but to focus on our beliefs, based on the interpretation of our senses, of what feels natural or synthetic.  He gives us the tools to recalibrate our instinct, to retrain our 'gut' and smell the world differently if we choose to. In doing so, we, the subject, are changed. We are not 'natural' in that our instinct, our inborn ability to sense a more fundamental reality than our 5 senses reveal, is shown to be mutable and therefore subjective. Instinct is revealed as a hunch that we tend to believe is absolute. Duchaufour liberates instinct from the fairy-tale realm of natural and un-natural and shows us how to make better use of our intuition and insights. And we get to smell nice along the way. Take that, Secretions Magnifiques.

Easy shot at Etat Libre, another house that does a great job of challenging our views, but intentional. Punk, as a genre or sensibility, tends to come from the ring-and-run school of art. Duchaufour’s example shows a few more interesting things about perfumery and art. His making of spectacular perfumes is artistry per se, but to make us question the supposition of our beliefs about fragrance and ourselves while at the same time giving us gorgeous perfumes to wear? Bravo! And by welcoming the wearer to question societal beliefs, Duchaufour makes perfume wearers comrades in arts, an important piece in the definition of perfume artistry.

(I’m not very well informed on the Uzbek perfume issue, so I won’t comment. The question of the ethics of the ‘independent contractor’ or ‘hired gun’ in perfumery does raise interesting questions, though.)
10.0 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Rebella
Vanilla snow flakes melting on my skin...
When I tried this for the first time, shortly after it had been released (as Havanna Vanille) I was a little dissapointed. Not that it didn´t smelled good, but I perceived it as so week and elusive and hardly noticeable (I had a dab on sample only)after the first half hour... but the parts I could smell, was really pretty, lingering milky, soft and not so sweet vanilla mixed with boozy rum and transcluent flowers. Lovely!

Hours after I put it on I had to take a walk with my dog and it was snowing, big white snow flakes fell from the dark winter sky and I stand in the snow and tried to catch snow flakes on my tounge and when I did I suddenly smelled a soft, whispery whiff of Havanna Vanille (aka Vanille Absolument). It was a magic perfume moment for me.

Now I´ve learn that most L'Artisan fragrances are best of sprayed, not dabbed. Also since I´ve got a FB of it, I do smell the tobacco, but it´s a lingering and very soft spoken tobacco, gentle and beutiful, but lends Vanille Absolument a nice, mystic touch.

As a vanilla I find it not sweet, rather on the cold side, still a gourmand though.
10.0 5.0 7.5 8.5/10

Delicious creme anglaise
Vanille Absolument (formerly known as Havana Vanille) is a gorgeous, creamy-sweet dream that made me exclaim at first sniff 'It smells just like vanilla ice cream!". And up to this date, I haven't come up with a much better comparison to illustrate it, except maybe a tasty dessert my grandmother used to make called Oeufs a la Neige (Eggs in Snow) - a heavenly delight with custard cream.

It's luscious, fluffy and milky and it has a kind of silkiness that sets it apart from all other vanilla perfumes I've tested before (which, truth be told, are more or less alike).

The composition is a beautiful blend of vanilla, rum and dried fruits, rounded off with benzoin and tonka bean and a just a touch of orange and vetiver to make it seem easier and lighter. I couldn't however detect any of the tobacco listed in the notes - this is not a tobacco perfume. It's a mouthwatering milky gourmand that stays sweet and savory without ever falling on the cloying side.

It's yummy!

Hermesh 4 years ago
Dense, warming, slightly powdery gourmand with initially overwhelming alcoholic note, which is replaced by milky vanilla sweetness.+1
6.0

by ELDE
by tIgerknurren
by tIgerknurren

Popular L'Artisan Parfumeur

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur Traversée du Bosphore by L'Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse aux Papillons (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur Nuit de Tubéreuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur Séville à l'Aube by L'Artisan Parfumeur Mûre et Musc (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur Jour de Fête by L'Artisan Parfumeur Premier Figuier (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur Cœur de Vétiver Sacré by L'Artisan Parfumeur Mon Numéro 10 by L'Artisan Parfumeur Caligna by L'Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur