Jour de Fête (2004)

Jour de Fête by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Jour de Fête is a perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur for women and men and was released in 2004. The scent is gourmand-sweet. The production was apparently discontinued.

Bourbon vanilla, Orris root, Laurel, Almond, Wheat, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 05.05.2019

In 2014 the scent was re-released as a limited edition.

8.0 6.0 7.0 8.5/10

Le Sacre du Printemps
Skin and senses are currently extremely overstrained by a malodorous disease.
So the selection of the daily fragrance is very complicated every time: how does my bitchy self?
react?
Yesterday I checked both "Blue Grass" fragrances to see if they could still be sent on their journey with a clear conscience.
In spite of only average durability, both jumped on me and did not want to be washed patout. Result: Bitch war!

But nevertheless, I dared, tempted by the spring in front of the windows and the transparent, almost colourless liquid in spray tubes at "Jour de Fète" by L'Artisan Parfums.
We didn't feel that much could go wrong here and luckily we have enough warm water, unlike last weekend.
I sprayed and felt - first of all nothing!
Almost 10 cc's of "nothing"? Hm!

But this "nothing" developed into a kind of scented second skin, as if it was made especially for me! "I've got you under my skin"!
I take laurel, cedar wood and the warmth of vanilla from this complex fragrance creation.
These, however, are not as powerful as Gelis, who is reminded of my beloved "Vanilla Absolument/Havanna Vanilla" of this brand. I could enjoy this powerful fragrance composition by the spoonful.
All ingredients here are finer, more light-footed - yes, almost floating.
The very own sweetness of almonds and wheat develops slowly, but is constant.
For me, this veil of fragrance remains fine, but harmoniously rounded and therefore perceptible as a flowing whole.
Not too long-lasting, but what prevents the after-spraying?

My perception of fragrance reminds me of a dance of forest nymphs and other airy beings and spirits honouring spring!
By far not as avant-garde as in Igor Stravinsky's "Le Sacre du Printemps"; with him I only borrow the commentary title.

So with a few drops of "Jour de Fète" I will celebrate today less this day, but more the spring in its entirety!
"La Primavera" comes light and graceful: the intensely fragrant flowers are not yet present - only a guess, an expectation of the fulfillment of an eternal promise.

So let's celebrate this spring today!
The respective daily fragrance plays only a subordinate role
1.0 1.0 2.5/10

Just no!
How dare L'Artisan make and sell a perfume such as this? For once, I agree with a discontinuation. The scent is so fleeting it is like the emperor's invisible clothes: why spend money on something that does not smell past the first two minutes and then, smells of a watery compote of sugared almonds and musk? A party day should have the smell of cake and icing, cream and nuts, not this useless baseless concoction. How can someone who creates the unrivaled Dzing! make this disappointment?
9.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

07012000
A wind of sweet powdery almonds!
I just tried to find this perfume because of it's name..From the first moment I sprayed it (thanks to a very good friend of mine -it is unfortunately discontinued) I discovered that surely is a celebration day (translation from french " jour de fete")
It is such a happy, elegant, airy, light perfume, suitable for all ages and seasons!
From the beginning till the end you can smell nothing but almonds, sweet powdery almonds!A delicious perfume!!

Jour de Fete
Olivia Giacobetti has a way of challenging the wearer without threatening. Jour de Fete makes you question your senses. It presents you with notions of softness, quiet and comfort at the same time that it makes you consider legibility and dynamics. It poses questions. What is the difference between quiet and soft in a perfume? Is low sillage a weakness or an advantage? Giacobetti's gift is to make perfumes that carry ideas, but not at the expense of pleasure and emotion.

The name itself captures the conundrum. Jour de Fete. It sounds like a party in a bottle, but if you come to it expecting music, cheering and applause, you'll be either surprised or disappointed. It's less a party and more like a discussion with a fascinating stranger. It has a black-box quality that I love in Giacobetti's other work. I've read others call Jour de Fete overpowering, undetectable, sweet, bitter, long-lasting and instantly disappearing. Everybody sees something different in the box.

Is there an opposite of a vanishing act? On applying Jour de Fete, I could just barely smell a hint of marzipan and play-do. It suggests scent as well as substances with particular textures. I had to strain to detect it. Within 15 to 20 minutes, I could smell it a bit more strongly. But what I smelled was more of a quality than a scent, per se. For lack of a better word, it smelled blunt. It's as though I was at the outer edge of something that actually absorbed sent. Now, eight hours later, I can't stop pulling my arm to my nose. It's remarkably composed. Simple, but suggestive. I have the same experience with Dzing! (another Giacobetti perfume for l'Artisan Parfumeurs) at its drydown. While the two smell nothing alike, at this stage, they both are evocative without suggesting or referring to anything in particular. They don't smell like anything else I can point to, but they make my mind race.

Giacobetti’s work is fascinating. I’d give anything to have the chance to sit quietly in the corner and observe her at work for a week.

from scenthurdle.com
7.5 5.0 7.5 7.5/10

Vanilla Almond Water
Jour de Fete is one delicate gem, a watery almond and vanilla with a slight gourmand texture given by the wheat note (what a brilliant idea to add it to the composition!). It's a bit powdery and nutty and although it's soft and light and a definite skin scent, it has lasting power to be proud of for an EDT.

This perfume makes me smile and takes me back to my childhood, to someplace that feels comfortable and old and tender. And as I smell it I do remember the exact place this is. When I was around 6 or 7, I had this lovely neighbor, a very sweet old lady that used to pinch my cheek and invite me to her place to taste some of her delicious cookies. And her house smelled like Jour de Fete as she was baking the dessert. It's a lovely, precious memory.

Jour de Fete is a gorgeous perfume, what a pity and a shame that they discontinued such a beauty.

by Lasisa