La Chasse aux Papillons (1999) Eau de Toilette

La Chasse aux Papillons (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur

La Chasse aux Papillons (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur for women and was released in 1999. The scent is floral-sweet. It is being marketed by Puig.

Anne Flipo

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Linden blossom, Orange blossom, Tuberose, Lemon blossom
Base Notes Base NotesTuberose, Ylang-ylang

Submitted by Murcielago, last update on 14.05.2019

4.0 7.0 5.0 9.0/10

Yelp yelp yelp prefer even longer
"The hunt for butterflies" is a name for this fragrance that I find rather inappropriate, just as inappropriate as the bottle itself. I would rather speak of a flight with the butterflies, the bottle should be multicolored, bright and convey cheerful movement.

This already indicates the direction in which this beautiful fragrance goes for me, even if I needed some time to learn how to fly with the butterflies, because they first flew to jasmine. As a jasmine critic, this immediately frightened me off during my first test years ago. Only the spontaneous perception of "jasmine" was enough to wash it off immediately.

Yeah, I'm terribly picky about jasmine. I used to like jasmine more than ever, but I didn't know much about it. In the course of my three years of perfumery, I've already gotten to know a number of jasmine notes, which I like after all. And I have noticed that jasmine and orange blossom together intensify my jasmine problem, while the simultaneous presence of tuberose can make jasmine palatable to me. Also YlangYlang sometimes succeeds in soothing the jasmine and taking its tip off so that I like it.
In La Chasse aux Papillons they are now all three in there, so that the jasmine and the orange blossom each have a softener. This will be one of the reasons why I can find jasmine beautiful here and perceive it more like honeysuckle, i.e. Jelängerjelieber, also a white-flowering herb, also often indolent, but strangely enough I find these characteristics of the honeysuckle beguiling, while I often find jasmine piercing-cutting annoying.

So, jasmine, tuberose, orange blossom and ylang ylang become yelang yelper for me. The butterflies have already visited five different flowers with their colourful lightness. If we add lemon blossom, which I feel very similar to orange blossom and cannot tell the difference here, then we already have six.
Now also lime blossom is listed in the pyramid. I love real lime blossom scent very much. I don't find it in La Chasse aux Papillons, but it may be that this note also contributes to my Jelängerjelieber-Melange.

That would be the end of it.

La Chasse aux Papillons consists only of this wonderful, luxuriant and yet in its way light flower combination, in which for me besides the lemon and lime blossom all are also individually perceptible, but in which overall and in the foreground "honeysuckle" is formed.

In the beginning I feel the intensity very strong, but it quickly subsides and already after 3-4 hours I wish myself more of the beguiling intensity back. Even if the scent is still discreetly perceptible for a few more hours and survives the next day on clothes, I would have preferred Jelängerjelieber even longer.

But half as bad: so I stick to my motto to spray earlier than to have to endure a never-ending, tantalizingly sticky musk or cashmeran base, which perhaps can not even be washed off.
7.5 5.0 2.5 7.0/10

Luxurious Tuberose
A beautiful Tuberose Solifleur. It's a bit linear but that's okay because it's lovely. It never gets sharp and is very full and creamy. I don't really get anything else in it besides the tuberose, either because it's just that well blended or because that's all I can get out of it. Not sure which.

It's pretty short lived, about 4 hours and it wears close to the skin.

May
2014
5.0 5.0 2.5 6.0/10

La Chasse aux Papillons
This fragrance opens with a bright and rather sweet flower note — reminiscent of Vanille Galante - that gradually becomes darker and intense as the alcohol evaporates. The main accord is built on a delicate interplay of jasmine, tuberose, orange blossom and linden resulting in an intoxicating floral bouquet. Green notes counter-balance the luxuriant sweetness of the accord and add to its overall fresh and spring-like quality. On my skin the fragrance loses most of its citrusy tartness and flowery sweetness as it progresses; it remains dewy and sweet, but has lost most of its initial vibrance.
7.5 5.0 7.5 7.0/10

A girly and sweet white floral
I was initially surprised by how sweet this fragrance was. La Chasse aux Papillons (beautiful name by the way), is very girly and pretty, and in regards to that I find it truly lovable.

In the initial stages, La Chasse aux Papillons reminds me of the scent of sugary bubblegum. This fragrance is quite strong at first, but as it settles it becomes much quieter. The tuberose is of the friendly and universally likable kind. It's neither too creamy nor too floral. Bois de Jasmin described it well, "a mist of bright floral notes, underpinned by the coconut sweetness of tuberose". Essentially a sweetened white floral in a slightly different vein to what you may be used to.

It evokes something within me, perhaps a childhood memory, a desire to run in the Spring fields wearing a pretty, pink fairy dress with sparkly wings attached. Okay, so La Chasse aux Papillons may not be the most mature fragrance on the market, but it sure does delight me with its imaginative and juvenile nature.

It is indeed a very happy and fun-loving fragrance, one that I'd recommend as a niche for young girls and the super feminine types. I do believe, that even someone who doesn't usually like white florals will be impressed by La Chasse aux Papillons.

The longevity is so-so, not incredibly lasting but also not too disappointing. The sillage however is very close to the skin, which can be a good thing especially during the warmer weather of which this fragrance is best suited.
7.5 7.5 2.5 6.0/10

Big Floral Opening Fizzles Out Fast
L'Artisan Parfumeur LA CHASSE AUX PAPILLONS opens big with megaphonic, mostly white florals, with tuberose looming large. I initially thought that I detected violet as well, but it didn't persist and is also not listed as a note. The linden blossom has a minimal presence to my nose, so overall this hits me as a sweet tuberose perfume.

However,what starts as a pretty standard Big White Floral strangely fades in exponential proportion to the passing of time with the result that the composition has dwindled to nothing in less than two hours. I find the loud opening a bit contradictory to the fleeting nature of this fragrance, which, while a certainly pretty composition, does not hold a candle to FRACAS, an admittedly tough act to follow.

What we have here is essentially a Charybdis or Scylla situation: Those who prefer more subtle floral fragrances will be put off by the opening; those who like big bad florals will be disappointed by the half-time sillage and poor longevity of LA CHASSE AUX PAPILLONS.

Hermesh 3 years ago
Trip to the countryside with harmoniously blooming tuberose, jasmine and lime trees.+3
6.0