Noir Exquis by L'Artisan Parfumeur
Noir Exquis is a popular perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is gourmand-woody. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesMarron glacé, Candied orange, Walnut
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrange blossom, Brazilian coffee, Maple syrup
Base Notes Base NotesMacassar wood, Heliotrope, Vanilla, Tonka bean, Indian sandalwood

Submitted by Danina, last update on 12.10.2020.

Noir Exquis
It took me quite a while to actually figure out why I wasn’t enamoured with the opening of this perfume, but I think something clicked when I got to smell Martin Margiela’s By The Fireplace. Chestnut. My brain simply won’t allow my sense of smell to recognise chestnut as a desirable aroma, and i really think that the omission of this particular note would have made me like this perfume a whole lot more.

The chestnut opens with the sweet tang of orange, which I found a dissonant pairing, and definitely had a negative impact on how i perceived the rest of the perfume’s development. Like having the aftertaste of medicine in your mouth just before you eat a lovely dessert.

From that point, the scent plays out very safely using the old firm of vanilla and tonka, solidified with some dark woods (i guess something was needed for the Noir). I wish the coffee was accentuated on my skin, but i only got the haunting of some distant powdery bitterness. Maple sap was also missing in action, but that could have been me assuming it would smell like the stuff I pour on pancakes.

The thing is, it smells nice on me after the first 10 minutes and I know a few people who genuinely have this perfume as one of their loves. So like all reviews, you need to take my opinion in the context of my personal tastes of the time, and right now gourmands in general are not my, well, jam.

There is one thing, it is the type of scent I really enjoy smelling off clothing. I wore it with a scarf the other day and really enjoyed nuzzling my cold nose into it 8 hours later. It hangs around, but won’t really intrude anyone’s personal space unless they are close enough to intrude yours.

Now if you are a gourmand fan, then I will always recommend you try this. Just because I am a chestnutaphobe, doesn’t mean you won’t love it. But somewhat sadly, Noir Exquis will be finding a new home with someone that can show it more love than I can. It’s not you, it’s me.
Serenissima
dark-dressed temptation from the scented patisserie
"Exquisite Black": For a person like me, who loves colours and light, this is a challenge for now.
Only my trust in the brand "L'Artisan Parfumeur", which has rarely or never disappointed me so far and my always lively curiosity, let me jump over this stick and test "Noir Exquis" almost unbiased.
Maybe "exquisite black" is not as dark as feared.

Dark "Noir Exquis" is true: but dark and warm, with an aromatic, slightly spicy sweetness, which does not remind of sugar, but accentuates the beauty of the taste/fragrance of the glaze.
"Glazed chestnuts" - in contrast to those which are sold at Christmas markets and which are often a little burnt, one experiences a delicacy here; a simple chestnut is raised to the nobility in this way.
The candied orange, on the other hand, belongs on almost every snack market. There it is sometimes even today still loosely, but often more or less brilliantly packed, as a fruity, not quite so ordinary souvenir or as a treat in between, offered.
Even "Cointreau" had offered candied mini oranges in his liqueur years ago.
They were not only pure and in cocktails a real delight; also on ice-cream cups they made themselves very good - a little whipped cream in addition and possibly a paper umbrella ...
This can also be easily transferred to the most beautiful walnut for me, the walnut: it is simply delicate and noble!
With these exquisite delicacies "Noir Exquis" offers an unexpected, almost luxurious prelude: aromatic and already now slightly beguiling the senses!
The delicacy of the orange blossom goes very well with this; a filigree, dabbed blossom foam that makes this entrée lighter: it has a princess-like fragrance crown.
The strong coffee scent reminds me immediately of the homely comfort of the old café houses, whose walls and furnishings seemed soaked with it.
Also here the coffee is strong and black and is perfumed by a well dosed shot of maple syrup.
This dark scent embrace already magically embraces the previous scents.
A deep dark, creamy stream of different aromas makes it comfortable on my skin: we both cuddle a little!
But the balsamic, the truly magical "Noir Exquis" has now made its big appearance: first of all with a huge vanilla chord! Ink for him!
The warm, usually somewhat heavy-blooded vanilla gets itself here still reinforcement in the form of the deep purple Heliotrop, which brings at the same time also always a little bit spice, and the Tonka bean supporting the smell process - often a little annoying to me, here however expressed suitable!
Before the fragrance stream becomes too heavy and powerful, a dark wood note (is it really ebony?) and a noble sandalwood touch appear.
Right on time!
This completes the transformation of the still individually recognizable scents into an excellent whole: an exquisite dark scented truffle is created!

Lovers of noble and unusual chocolate varieties should get their money's worth at "Noir Exquis".
Very dark, aromatic and not too sweet (yet worth at least one sin!) is this fragrance composition by "L'Artisan Parfumeur".

The durability is not extreme, but such a delicacy should not be exhausted.
As you know, "delicacies are always small!" (As one of my lovers once said - but: shh! don't tell anyone. It's also been a very, very long time.)
This scented praline retains its charm, its own magic until the end; the intensity slowly decreases: "Noir Exquis" becomes lighter, more floating and says goodbye with a breathed "Au revoir"!
Minigolf
In the cafe "to eternity"
Somewhere in irgedeiner small town, far away from the hustle and bustle, there should be a café, which seems to originate from another time. The finely forged emblem, which hangs in front of the entrance on the wall of the house, bears an ornate lettering. "Cafe for Eternity," is what you read. And already outside you should feel what awaits you inside.
Wooden tables with lace tablecloths, old-fashioned sugar dispensers on them, chairs with turned backs and legs.
Operation in a long skirt with a white apron, on the hair a bonnet with lace edge.
And the bar is filled with all kinds of homemade cakes and tarts. And here it smells.
Not only after coffee and cake, but also after oranges, after "roasted nuts", and after wonderful woods that were processed in the interior.
If someone comes in who has never been here before, he is very surprised and perhaps even slightly alienated by the "antiquated" ambience. But during his stay he finds more and more pleasure in this atmosphere. Steaming coffee is served, even daily newspapers hang on a clipboard, which one reads "automatically" because they invite to it. The cake and pies are served on wonderfully old-fashioned tableware, draped with fresh pieces of mandarin and orange, sprinkled with a hint of real cocoa like icing sugar and decorated with a coffee bean.
Yes, the café is well visited and very popular.
And if you ask the owners since when this has existed, they shrug their shoulders and say: "We've been doing this for a long time..... and have forgotten time." Say it, and turn lovingly to the next guests.
Yes, "L'Artisan" has a talent for evoking images, moods and situations with its scents.
With "Noir Exquis" it is the coffee, wood and citrus fruit mixture that creates this atmosphere in me.
It's not really a gourmand scent, although it does contain "edible and drinkable" scent elements.
But in its own way, it is "non-material", rather pictorial, and placed in an imaginary situation, inspired by the perfumers' imagination.
At the same time, it is not a "hip" fragrance that is designed for one or two seasons. It can be regarded as "fallen out of time" and yet "timeless". At least I feel that way...

A candied chestnut, exquisite
The beginning of this week has been terrible. On Sunday morning I found my car destroyed, a miserable had impacted him, and had fled without leaving any data, but ... did not realize that I leave all the defense of his car, with registration included, hooked on mine, and from there, that could have denounced and make the corresponding claim.

The fact is that this morning I had to deal with experts, mechanics and insurance agents, and I needed something that would wrap me up and make me feel comfortable. Among many of my collection I did not decide on any, until I look at a generous sample, that a companion gave me this wonderful elixir, and without hesitation I applied generous sprays.

Despite the disgust of seeing my car in that sorry state, I went in a cloud, I felt happy, wrapped up and eager to face what was coming. Noir Exquis is a warm, sweet and comforting aroma, it is like the couple that embraces you to insuflarte forces, because, that hug, is the one that Noir Exquis offers, sometimes it is sweet and creamy, sometimes dry and woody, but always It is cozy. It feels like a chestnut jam, sprinkled with tiramisu and sprinkled with a good amount of vanilla and maple syrup, appetizing and sweet, but nothing excessive, the sweetness of this dessert is very well controlled by the woody notes of ebony and sandalwood, recreating amid this sweetness, nuances smoked and incensed, of a delicious beauty. It has ended up conquering me.

A semi-gourmand perfume, which, not even remotely, is close to the extra mega sugary compositions of today's gourmand, its sweetness is very restrained and it is exquisite, elegant and formal, a unisex aroma, which is a pleasure for the senses.

The performance is good, exceeding 8 hours in skin, with a moderate wake at all times. For its warmth, I see it appropriate for cool and temperate climates, and equally enjoyable both day and night, it is quite versatile in this regard.

This perfume has left a good taste in my mouth, and I would even sign it for a future purchase, but, I have a perfume, which, although they are not exactly the same, satisfies me in the same way. Al Haramain Urbanist Prive Silver has a similar vibe, with different notes, where NE puts chestnuts and maple sap, UPS puts hazelnuts and tobacco, which I have already said is not the same, but the feeling of comfort and warmth, is the same , and for now I am covered with Al Haramain, but if you like these aromas, with any of them you have plenty, both 100% recommended.

Sorry for my bad english.
I wasn't offered sugar
"Noir Exiquis" is the fragrance I'm wearing right now. The comments here made me curious and so, I got myself a bottling. Now what can I say: although many perfumes smell of coffee and vanilla and some even find the scent much too sweet, I am one of those to whom almost no sugar was offered. No coffee too.
All I think I smell is an incredible amount of cardamom, with good will you can smell walnuts, but rather the milkiness of the green shell of walnuts, and maybe some resinity. Applied to my hair, the scent unfolds more milkiness, but no sweetness at all. Applied to the skin you can sense the sweetness from time to time. But above all I smell here bitter-nutty smell of cardamom.
A calm, soft fragrance for certain contemplative moods.
I find the shelf life to be good and the Sillage is difficult to judge at the moment. I think it's rather mediocre.
Coffee on the terrace
First of all you can perceive an intense fruity note, which brings a pleasant, very discreet, viscous sweetness and is due to the candidate orange.

At the same time a fine aromatic - nutty note is perceptible, which by no means smells rancid, but harmonises wonderfully with the orange and comes from the walnut.

These two notes are enveloped in a delicate woody - spicy, very discreetly waxy nuance, which is responsible for the top note getting a nice tangible substance and coming from the glazed chestnut.

This constellation is perceptible on my skin for 15 minutes before the heart note unfolds.

Now a fine - bitter, self-brewed, still slightly warm coffee can be perceived, which this time has been sweetened with maple syrup and makes sure that the coffee gets a nice volume and forms a nice crema.

In the far background there is a bright floral touch of orange blossom, so that one thinks to enjoy his coffee on the terrace and the flowers of the surrounding trees blow their scent into one's nose.

The heart note is perceptible on my skin for 3.5 hours before the base asserts itself.

I can't get anything out of the base, because it smells to me like someone sweating all day long and trying miserably to whitewash this smell with a spicy sandalwood soap - and to top it all off, not even water was used, but the soap was just rubbed on the skin
In addition to this "basic odor" there is a deep and distinctive woody note of Makassar - ebony, which has no other purpose than to potentiate this odor.

Vanilla, tonka bean and heliotrope I couldn't see and to be honest I can't imagine that they were used at all, but if they are, the components simply don't stand a chance against "spice sweat".

Noir Exquis is a pleasant companion in the spring, autumn and winter months for women and men over 30 who are looking for a sweet, fruity, nutty and flowery coffee scent and also want to discover the spicy animal side of themselves.

Overall, the fragrance lasts 6.5 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is conceived from the outset in such a way that one is perceived well at a quarter arm's length and this is maintained also 3 hours in such a way, before it becomes then very closely.

Vanilla & Chestnut...
I think this is a fragrance which will appeal to a broad range of people. That's because it's not really gourmand enough to turn people away, and it has just enough gourmand notes in it to attract people.

I say this because the way Bertrand Duchaufour has used the ingredients, they don't feel overwhelming or sweet in any way. In fact it's quite subtle. I get a mix of tonka bean, heliotrope and vanilla, then the sandalwood and ebony wood. So it's a mix of vanilla and woods basically, which isn't particularly original, but I do get the chestnut note, which I think is.

I love the smell of chestnut as it reminds me of Christmas time, and this fragrance brings that back for me. It reminds me of food, so I guess you could call it a gourmand, but at the same time it has enough woodiness that it's very tame and versatile. A fragrance for both formal and casual wear. I really enjoy this one, and once again I am impressed with yet another brilliant creation from this house and perfumer. Quite good in my opinion.

ItchynoseItchynose 19 months ago
The ebony and vanilla drydown is pleasant but not as exciting as the chestnut and maple syrup found in the opening. A sober gourmand scent.
JssfranchJssfranch 4 years ago
Well understood gourmand

by VanAllan
by VanAllan
by Itchynose
by Itchynose

Popular L'Artisan Parfumeur

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur L'Eau du Caporal by L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur Bucoliques de Provence by L'Artisan Parfumeur Mon Numéro 10 by L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse aux Papillons (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur Œillet Sauvage by L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur Vanille Absolument / Havana Vanille by L'Artisan Parfumeur Cœur de Vétiver Sacré by L'Artisan Parfumeur Nuit de Tubéreuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur Premier Figuier (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur Aedes de Venustas by L'Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur Traversée du Bosphore by L'Artisan Parfumeur