Passage d'Enfer (1999)

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Passage d'Enfer is a perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur for women and men and was released in 1999. The scent is smoky-woody. It is being marketed by Puig.

Top Notes Top NotesRose, Ginger
Heart Notes Heart NotesFrankincense, Lily, Oud
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Cedar, Benzoin, White musk

Submitted by Schnuffi, last update on 25.10.2019

8.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10

Childhood flashback
There has been a lot of talk about this beautiful beginner incense lately. In addition, Blauemaus and her Chinatown Kommi have thematized the theme of scents and childhood memories, which in turn brings me to Passage d'Enfer.

Passage d'Enfer was my first incense and actually incense scents have not interested me at all until now. At that grade, I always thought of old church walls. For me incense was a purely sacral scent and had nothing to do with perfume. But I was taught a better lesson.

First, the history of my childhood. Since I was six years old, my parents went skiing with me twice a year, at Christmas and Easter, to Austria. It was always a wonderful time for me because there were always other friends of the family who had children my age. So always enough playmates and fun. The farmhouse where we stayed was idyllically situated in the middle of meadows and woods with a rushing mountain stream and a waterfall. I always climbed up the steep slopes and picked primroses in spring. We built dams at the creek and experienced many other exciting things. And of course skiing itself has always been a pleasure. We were in different ski areas on the way and got to see so much over the years. From this time there are also masses of photos of me with a shining smile. Even as a teenager and beyond, I still took a vacation there, even with friends and my first life partner.

When about ten years ago a nice internet acquaintance showed me her fragrance collection, I sniffed Passage d'Enfer for the first time. The total flashback for me, because I was exactly in this pension in Austria. The reason: Passage d'Enfer smelled exactly like the bed linen there. Awesome! Once this memory and once the fact that I find incense really horny and not at all as sacral-dusty. I was taught better, so I bought my first incense fragrance. Meanwhile I don't own it anymore, but with L'Ether from IUNX I have a twin fragrance, also from the wonderful Olivia Giacobetti.
6.0 3.0 5.0 6.5/10

Chinese Temple Incense
Passage d'enfer is an almost pure incense fragrance to my nose. There is a light touch of flower to fresh up the scent, some woody notes and some musk. But they all serve to complement the incense. The scent doesn't change much during the wearing, juste a bit more woody while gradually fading. The sillage is close and it lasted at least 6 hours on me.

The incense in Passage d'enfer is actually quite impressive. It's so realistic that it immediately makes me think of Chinese temples. Due to this fact, to me it's more an ambiance fragrance than an actual perfume that I'd wear in person. But it worths trying especially for incense fans.
10.0 7.0 9.0 8.0/10

MisterShaver
Names are sound and smoke .....
Whenever I have decided for a fragrance without looking in here before, I had to read here, it is in this community often a differentiated commented fragrance. Is that good or bad?
Very noticeable for me is that the fragrance was always very good when I bought it. The reading here about the then purchased scent led mostly to the fact that I liked the scent even better afterwards. Possibly pure defiance?
Anyway, that's how it's been here. In the excellently equipped perfumery Thaler in Bolzano I was very well advised due to my search for a scent with sandalwood and in the end I landed at the Acqua di Parma Concentrada Sandalo at the pass to hell. I don't speak French and only read here what I had bought there. I also read the comments that were always rushing to associate this name with anything about the fragrance. And I bought this perfume without knowing what the name meant to say. But now I happen to know exactly, that such composed scents, like all others, react on the skin according to the chemical attitude of the skin owner. Therefore I noticed a wonderful slightly woody, but also warm scent. It's very close to the body, you write it here. Aha... has anyone ever asked their environment if that's the case? I do. So, also my fellow men perceive the smell. And pleasant. I'm not going to take it apart because it leads nowhere. The fragrance does not smell as one might think when knowing the name translated into German. But it's a soft, sandalwood scent with incense in the bag. Not a church, but in time for a sunny autumn. And the name is just sound and smoke, it doesn't matter and I'm sure Olivia Giacobetti wanted the same fragrance and didn't want to create a mass product. It is what it is. A gentle autumn scent with a slope to the fireplace room and a gin bottle on the table. Besides a copy of the last Playboy to pay tribute to the theme hell. If that's what's important.

composition
When asked recently that old chestnut, “Whom would you invite to dinner if you could have any 10 guests from history?” I was mortified as usual by the pedestrian quality of my answer compared to the great wits and intellects around me. I'd love to think of myself as a rounded person, but my head must've been in my perfume closet, and my answers were quite narrow. Edmond Roudnitska, Germaine Cellier, Bernard Chant... I was happy with myself, though, for the living perfumer I included, Olivia Giacobetti.

I've actually only recently found my way to Giacobetti’s work, but I am fascinated. I still want to investigate her fig and flower perfumes, but having experienced Dzing! Passage d’Enfer and Fou d’Absinthe, I'm sold.

I love the scents of the perfumes that I've tried, but I am drawn to her for her artistic approach. Dzing! captures my desire for a considered use of abstraction toward specific ends. Abstraction isn’t throwing things at a wall and seeing what sticks. It is a specific and complex means of revealing attributes of an idea or thing, and has only as much randomness to it as any other means of composing work does. Passage d’Enfer shows that thoughtful juxtaposition highlights the frame of reference, and bends contexts to create new and unimagined possibilities. Juxtaposition is never simply about the two ideas placed next to each other. It’s about the space between them, the artist and the audience and what they together make of it all.

While there certainly is more to the composition, Passage d’Enfer combines incense and lily and comes up with something both interesting and unexpected. While I can still make out the two components, my attention is mostly drawn to a third, new quality. It is creamy, soapy, spectral. It suggests an atmosphere like fog, which cannot be experienced in inches, but must be taken in in yards, over terrain. It has a comfortable density to the touch that feels like it would absorb sound. It has a giving property and maybe even a forgiving nature.

I know I'm reading a lot into this perfume. But that's what I want to do with perfume. And in order to do so I choose well-considered perfumes, ones rich with ideas. I've always loved the T.S. Eliot expression, “I will show you fear in a handful of dust.” It tells me about subject, object, the things between them, and intent. By the same token a smart, qualified perfumer can show a willing and informed perfume wearer the world in a bottle.

from scent hurdle.com

Cold solitude
... and a narrow road laid in wet stone, leading away from the cathedral just visited, incense and ash still lingering in the air. White lilys blooming late. I don't think this is a scent that will encourage females to charm men. I am on my own.

On a rainy day, when the world around me is asleep and I am by my own on a high balcony, my mind spins with this accomplice. All else is still. I see and get things I wasn't able too last night. Passage d'Enfer suits it's name, powerful and mighty, but not strong. It is translucent and delicate, but dark as only a passage to "Enfer" can be.

Nile Valley Incense
My Mum gave me this out of her wardrobe. A delicate, unobtrusive incense that is far more nuanced and beguiling than CdG's monotonous Avignon. When I was young we used to travel to my parents' homeland in the Nile Valley for the summer. To celebrate our arrival, family members would prepare incense pots full of mastic, frankincense, sandalwood, and other spices whose combinations were said to have been handed down from pharaonic times. They would then drench and marinate the concoction in French perfumes - usually Fleurs D'Amour - before igniting it. Olivia Giacobetti distilled one of those pots in this bottle. Mystical and long-lasting.

Lillibet 20 months ago
Gentle flowers, lovely slightly medicinal yet warm incense notes, & a hint of spices. Versatile & wears well whatever the weather.+4
5.0