Safran Troublant (2002)

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur
Safran Troublant (L'Artisan Parfumeur)
Safran Troublant (L'Artisan Parfumeur)

Safran Troublant is a popular perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur for women and men and was released in 2002. The scent is spicy-floral. It is still in production.

Rose, Saffron, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by Schnuffi, last update on 17.11.2018

Bottle 7.0/10 Scent 8.5/10
Saffron Gai
When I made my first comment here about a year and a half ago, with a shy disposition, I would certainly not have guessed that reviewing the smells that could be bought would be such a pleasure and a habit for me that I would soon drop my hundredth gloss here.

Thank you to all for the friendly and encouraging feedback that we received. I still don't think of myself as a grandmaster of fragrance analysis, just as I did at the beginning of my active career here. But the regular encouragement from this quite unique community has strengthened my self-confidence, not only entertaining some readers well, but also, at least occasionally, in the more successful comments, in my way - perhaps by a suitable picture - the core of a fragrance for others to be able to capture helpful.

Congratulations may be ignored, because I have already given myself a gift for the anniversary by freeing myself from all rules for this comment. Not by those of good taste, but, so to speak, by the "Parfumo-ISO quality standards". I didn't test this scent on my skin, but only on a test strip, and only once. Namely in the 'perfect perfumery' in Brussels - readers of my blog know them - which I recently had the opportunity to visit again and was thrilled again. You can still get your used test strips wrapped up in doggy bags, so that you can further test the scent at home. So I allow myself the freedom now, but the reader now knows that everything is to be enjoyed with caution.

To the point: Saffron as the (main) component in perfumes hadn't come under my nose until then, but I guess, yes, I love this noble spice in the kitchen for the smell (and the colour) it gives to the food (I like to use it for risotti) almost more than for its taste. And even if I don't necessarily want to smell like my favourite risotto, I find the idea of building a fragrance around it convincing at the first go - actually surprising that the perfume world came up with this idea so late (again?); but perhaps this also has manufacturing reasons.

Saffron Troublant is - not surprisingly - wonderfully saffrony. The spice is authentic, almost suitable for kitchen use, therefore, in an extremely high-quality, dignified and polished quality. There is nothing, but also nothing at all bitter, stinging, musty or otherwise inharmonic, as may be the case with cheap or superimposed saffron - this is a radiant 1-A saffron, which would always find mercy in front of a star chef.

The accompanying programme to this delicious spice is wonderfully balanced. It's like in a beautiful, let's say, oboe concerto (I don't know exactly why the oboe comes to mind most for saffron now, but it seems fitting to me that the viola would perhaps work as well), in which the solo part (of the saffron) and the orchestral part (of the other notes) each make up about half of the complete work and are beautifully coordinated. "Troublant", therefore disturbing, is nothing here, I encounter this fragrance as Safran Gai (or Serein), as a cheerful, tidy, cheerful fellow.

Contrary to all scent notes and also contrary to the majority of comments and statements I don't take the candidate as a heavy cuddly bear at all, especially the rose is very fine and airy, so that the impression of a sometimes already citric, but in any case light-footed floral freshness is created; in the further course everything then gains a greater firmness, but without ever dulling into diffuse soft dullness (perhaps the wood is responsible for it).

So that a sympathetic, highly successful saffron composition, which appeals to head and heart and which I will certainly test again (and then "correctly").
Half-baked delight
Safran Troublant opens with an extremely realistic smell of saffron, and I mean the actual ground saffron you can buy at the drugstore, just lightly enhanced by rose and vanilla, both blending with the floral and sweeter sides of saffron. The whole, quite simple ensemble is topped with a nose-tingling spicy note resembling to cumin, a slightly cheaper hint of eugenol (cloves, basically) and an odd, almost random touch that reminds me of a sort of a damp lemongrass-infused tampon - it may sound bizarre, but it works. I think it’s due to rose. Anyway that’s it, a graceful and quite refined blend of thin spices and gentle powdery-sweet accents, with a fascinating sort of subtle, almost transparent texture revolving around the edible heart of saffron. And well, a couple of cheap nuances, but tolerably covered by the good parts. The notes may make it seem a thick Oriental “bomb”, while on the contrary it has more of a British presence – diaphanous and discreet, with a sophisticated sort of camphorous, musky, earthy yet smooth cashmere-suede feel (I think due to saffron) that adds some further elegance to this mannered blend, slightly reminding me of Hermès Cuir d’Ange. I admit this fragrance is fairly pleasant to wear, at least for the first phases of its evolution, but there’s a gigantic flaw I can’t avoid to mention and which sadly, makes Safran Troublant look like (as so many - too many niche scents) a half-baked work: the longevity, which is unacceptably short and really subtle for my tastes. Way too much. Within 20-30 minutes, you already remain with the faint, nondescript drydown it should have after 5 or 6 hours. A time machine in a bottle. Still, one of L’Artisan Parfumeur’s scents I enjoyed the most.

6,5/10
jtd
persuasion
Olivia Giacobetti has a way of combining disparate elements to make something that while surprising is never shocking.  Unexpected, but perfectly coherent when you think about it.  The sweet and salty hay of Dzing! The smoked-lily soap of Passage d’Enfer.

It’s a delicious way of changing our reality.  The trick is neither fantastical nor over-the-top. She gives us something that doesn't really exist, but easily could since it makes perfect sense. In Safran Troublant, she doesn't give us a talking bear or a winged horse. She gives us a rose/saffron marshmallow. Not only is this imaginable, it starts to convinces me that I might actually have eaten one of these marshmallow at some time or other.  The perfume is so persuasive that I question myself.  Is the perfume a memory or an imagination?  Giacobetti speculates so effectively that I question the experience, but she does it so deftly that ultimately I don't care.  It's as if I'm day-dreaming.  My mind eases a bit and I become more mindful and less perplexed.

Some perfumes call to mind comparisons to the visual arts.  The portraiture of the soliflor. The fruity-floral as a still-life image. The abstract expressionism of Timbuktu.  Giacobetti breaks into the written word with her perfume. Safran Troublant is literary fiction.  It is the perfect short story.  I don’t know of any other perfumer who does this.

from scenthurdle.com
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Wonderful Comfort Frag.
If you are one of those who loves Tea for Two, it will probably come as no surprise that this is from Olivia Giacobetti too.

Just about as personally comforting as they come, and while one may have to do a lot of repeat-spraying to stay with the charming parts, if you are looking to simply be put at ease, around the home and at bedtime too, this delightful thing will be well worth your time.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 6.0/10
Saffron Rice--Literally
L'Artisan Parfumeur SAFRAN TROUBLANT definitely has a hefty dose of saffron, so much so that it strikes me as more of a culinary than an oriental perfume! One of my favorite comfort foods is actually saffron rice, and SAFRAN TROUBLANT captures the scent in a bottle, so I cannot agree that this is troubling at all!

I love, love, love the smell of saffron rice (I usually make it with basmati)--But it could never work as a perfume for me because of the utter familiarity of the scent. I can imagine that for people who are unfamiliar with this delicious scent, SAFRAN TROUBLANT would seem exotic and unique. I love it, I do, but I would not want to smell like saffron rice.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 2.5/10 Scent 10.0/10
Safran Troublant
Safran Troublant is a precise balance of Sensual Girlishness and Esoteric Asceticism, The earthy Rose note Is a Willowy Young Hippie with her long fair Wisps
Around her Pale lightly freckled face With her Diaphanous Batik Gown of all different colors and a
Suede Southwestern style Hat with Turquoise Stones, Walking in a familiar rhythmic motion, removed of thought or feeling like her soul been ascended from a
another plane, The Rose note represents The innocent
Wanderer for an unquenchable Thirst for Knowledge. Sweet
with an Tinge of Patchouli begins our Journey,

Walking around in the Ashrams the Warm Winds of Saffron Pierced her Senses brought her to Consciousnesses Then from the corner of her Pewter Colored eye is a Sadhu Staring into space without time
nor age piercing Black eyes Yellow Red and black Pigment on his meditative face and a Saffron Colored
Cloth covered the Background, Wisps of Incense smoke
Intoxicated the Moment even further couldn't keep her
fixation on this Holy man.

Safran Troublant Conjure Passion and Spirituality vast Like the Epic Mahabharata and the devotional
love Of Rama And Sita of the Ramayana,

S.T Brings the Ancient into the Modern.

• by Labormaus by Labormaus