Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Timbuktu is a popular perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur for men and was released in 2004. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Puig.

Top Notes Top NotesPink pepper, Cardamom, Green mango
Heart Notes Heart NotesKaro-Karounde, Frankincense, Papyrus wood
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Myrrh, Patchouli, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.05.2019

9.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10

Caribbean Village Market
Basse Terre, Guadeloupe, Lesser Antilles.
Around noon on the dusty market place, the sun burns mercilessly on the old spice seller, who fills the glasses with fresh cardamom and nutmeg on his old white wooden boards. The young woman behind him ties her Bwe Bandé carefully but firmly with a thin string. Didi, the man with the tequila fruit, grinds green mangoes. Drumbeats penetrate from the nearby cemetery - incense, resin and dry herbs are burned
9.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10

Jazzbob
Timeless men's classic with a certain something
Making a connection between the name of a perfume and its fragrance is usually a good way to start a commentary. But Timbuktu should not come to most people's minds much more than that the city is somewhere in the middle of nowhere - more precisely, in Mali, on the edge of the Sahara. The source of inspiration for Bertrand Duchaufour's creation was the mixture of woods, roots, spices and resins, "Wusulan", which is widely used in West Africa as a perfume substitute in burnt form. This association may seem plausible to me, but when I smell Timbuktu, I think above all of the fact that Orient and Occident, nostalgia and modernity meet here.

Although the long-lasting foundation is formed by woody and balsamic notes, Timbuktu starts off fresh and ethereal - almost reminiscent of mint. I think that this impression is achieved by the cardamom and the initially cool incense. Furthermore, a slightly exotic side is created by the mango, which is fortunately used subtly and rather as an unripe fruit. How exactly Karo-Karounde should smell now, I don't know and there are different descriptions of them (warm, soft, fruity, sweet, indollic, animalistic), but Timbuktu has indeed a facet, which I can't classify exactly and could come from the African plant. For me, less frankincense than myrrh is also influential for the further course. In addition to the balsamic, this has a slightly sweet quality, which Duchaufour has added as well as the mango in discreet form. At warmer temperatures, however, I perceive both more strongly. These more modern notes are thwarted by a base of vetiver, patchouli and papyrus, which is thoroughly woody, slightly green, smoky and dry. From my point of view, all components form a perfect balance and are relatively closely interwoven. A really similar scent hasn't come under my nose yet.

That's why Timbuktu also falls into the timeless men's classic category for me. There are enough 80s retro hipster trash or unbalanced experiments in the niche market, but this creation doesn't seem too demanding despite the exotic notes and already a bit familiar in the drydown. Actually I would rather classify Timbuktu as an Ü35 fragrance, since he already has some maturity, but I have owned him myself for almost four years (I was 25 then) and he has fascinated me more and more while wearing. Despite a certain heaviness, Timbuktu is not only worn in the cold seasons. Even in summer it doesn't get too much for me and just, as already mentioned, changes more into the slightly fruity, balsamic direction. For me, there are very few perfumes that do not suffer from such changes due to very different temperatures. And while the oasis city, threatened by desertification, longs for it, Timbuktu ironically fits perfectly into rainy weather.
9.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

One of Duchaufour's best
Incredible price for what you get here. Woody and smoky, super green but with this backbone of a dirty patchouli and vetiver that blends this greenness and makes it a great classy and elegant scent. The incense completes it, filling the whole spectrum of aromes in this juice. It's an interesting perfume, complex and intriguing. There's some kind of black magic in there.
It's not a perfume for beginners. Almost everyone that I know doesn't like it if you give them to smell directly. For me it's not a big deal. I like it and I love to wear it and people don't seem to be bothered about it. It's an unique scent, made by the god hands of B. Duchaufur. It's not a crowdpleaser and it won't give you compliments, although, for some reason there's quite a magical experience when I wear this one.
8.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

Konsalik
The green Orientale (now lives in Greece by the way)
Vetiver seems to be a strange plant, which can be almost arbitrarily shifted and varied in its expression, provided that it has the appropriate skill. Like grey oil paint that mixes with others, it combines, harmonizes and tints in pastel tones. On its own, however, like the isolated colour impression of "grey", vetiver is inaccessible, open to interpretation, difficult to decipher. At least that's how I perceived Vetiver in my latest review of "Encre Noire".

At least on my skin Timbuktu is a rather simple scent, but the tinted connecting movement of Vetiver makes its simple gesture elegant and round: The fresh, spicy, for me very subtle fruitiness of the opening (must be the peppered mango, but of its own accord I would not have thought of it) merges almost seamlessly into an incense that is kept nicely in check, which flattens all too easily all other scents for my senses. Here, however, despite all the dominant, balsamic creaminess, it retains a certain greenish shimmering freshness (influences me here the colour of the bottle, or was it designed following the greenish scent impression; it's a chicken-and-egg problem), which makes it three-dimensional - not like "Sancti", which seemed to me in comparison more like an incense paddle beaten against my head. Opened and loosened up in this way, incense becomes more associative: as if the oil lamps hanging from the ceiling were lit in the dark crypt of an Orthodox monastery: Timbuktu never gets really bright, but just enough light was added to it to be able to make out the glitter of the liturgical device in dim twilight as well as the shimmer of the iconostasis.

Bertrand Duchaufour seems to be one of the perfumers who want to trace a clear vision with their scents (see "Sartorial"). I don't associate much with Timbuktu, however, except stickers on packages of funny paperbacks when someone is "sent to the desert" again. An Orthodox liturgy, on the other hand, I have already visited and ask: Once you've been through the full four hours (incl. "Naturtönigem Mönchsgesang"), you'll have had similar impressions, independent of individual beliefs, as Duchaufour associates them with the term'Timbuktu': strange beauty, lived mysticism, golden shimmering clarity with simultaneous unattainable enchantment. Simple and discreet in all its splendour. A place of longing, but one where you can simply feel good. I'm sure I'll wear Timbuktu more often.
5.0 7.5 10.0/10

Magical!
I usually avoid spicy and resinous notes, they always seem overpowering on me. In this case, curiosity, good reviews and the urge to try something new led me to buy a sample of Timbuktu. I was half expecting something heavy and overly spicy, but this is an airy wisp of spices carried on an unfolding trail of incense that settles quietly onto old woods. I immediately ordered a full bottle, and I'm sure it will be used often - we're well into fall now, and this fragrance feels perfect for our cold New England winters.

Overrated woodie
The opening of Timbuktu is mostly centered on a sharp, almost austere vetiver-incense-cedar accord, dusty and dry, basically halfway the smell of slightly aged paper (something like In The Library by CB I Hate Perfumes) and the smell of “pure” wood – and by pure I mean the pale (and quite boring) smell of a woodchips warehouse. No trees and forests, just the smell of Ikea furniture out of the box. That, with a subtle salty-earthy vetiver note, something velvety and sweet (resins, I guess) and a light fruity-floral breeze with a gentle red pepper note. After a while the incense note gains a prominent position, a rarefied and thin balsamic-synthetic incense like in many CdG fragrances (Kyoto above all: quite the same synthetic woody-balsamic feel). That’s it. Really linear and quite plain, you may think it “hides” some complexity or something interesting is ‘round the corner, but... well, it doesn’t, it’s really just that. A synthetic incense-woody scent like dozens of others - not as “avantgarde” as the CdG’s, not as classy as stuff like Gucci pour Homme... Shortly: meh.

5,5-6/10
7.5 7.5 10.0/10

The origins of mankind
For me, this is my dream of the future: my place of desire, the mythic Timbuktu, where I want to be one day. Such is this amazing scent: quiet, spiritual, in peace and harmony with nature, and evocative of mankind origins.
2.5 10.0 10.0 6.0/10

Drseid
A Fine Effort, But Not My Kind Of Thing...
Timbuktu opens with a bang. I get tons of frankincense and spice mixed with something dirty underpinning the notes which must be cardamom. The cardamom remains as does the incense, but the scent turns very soapy with some floral accents creating an interesting juxtaposition of dirty and clean. Vetiver joins the party late, adding some mildly smokey and earthy aspects to the scent in its later stages of development. Timbuktu is very unisex, and has great projection and longevity.

I am somewhat torn on Timbuktu... It really is a good scent and one of the best from the house of L'Artisan, but it really is not for me. Not a bad effort at all from one of the best noses on the face of the planet, Bertrand Duchaufour, just not good enough for me to recommend it without reservation. Still, Timbuktu is definitely sniff worthy and even FBW to those that enjoy similar scents. I'll give it a mild thumbs up and a rating of 3 stars out of 5.

Carlitos01 80 days ago
Incense, myrrh, vetiver and a floral note of gardenia to disconcert any nose. Adorably mysterious! Probably the best "Artisan" for me.+3
9.0
JoaoMartins 8 months ago
There's a Jubilation XXV vibe in this one. Bertrand's hands do magic. Truly underrated!+2
9.0
Hermesh 3 years ago
Peppery dry incense with subtle fruity note. Exciting-modern and nice to wear at the same time. One of Duchaufour's best!
Hajuvana 3 years ago
Raw fruit pulp and incense

by Kellner
by Sherapop
by sebjar
by sebjar
by Caspita
unter dem strich eine vetiverbombe. sometimes too much for me.
by Couchlock