Un Air de Bretagne (2017)

Un Air de Bretagne by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Un Air de Bretagne is a perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur for women and men and was released in 2017. The scent is fresh-aquatic. It is being marketed by Puig.

Algae absolute, Ambergris accord, Neroli, Cypress absolute, Cedar leaf

Submitted by Mefunx, last update on 24.01.2020.

5.0 5.0 3.0/10

PBullFriend
fails to capture salt air
As someone who grew up near the Atlantic but now lives far inland, I love the salt-and-sand genre of perfumes and have tried many of them. When done well, they are a vacation in a bottle. Sadly, few of them reach that level. Un Air de Bretagne unfortunately does not smell realistic at all. It reminds me of a cheap body spray that I bought many years ago and wound up using as a bathroom spray. A much better Atlantic scent, to my nose, is Miller Harris Sel de Vetiver. I used to be such a fan of L'Artisan Parfumeur, but it has been a long time now since they have put out anything I find full-bottle worthy.
5.0 6.0 8.0/10

Wind over pasture meadows
In the course of my constant homesickness (after Normandy, but Brittany and Normandy are not only geographically close to each other for me) I ordered a sample of "Un Air de Bretagne". According to the official website, Juliette Karagueuzoglou tried to use this scent to capture the iodine-containing oxygen on the wild Breton coast. "Un Air de Bretagne" is maritime with a salty haze. I have a problem with aquatic scents, but not with this perfume. That's why I wouldn't call it aquatic. Maybe some scents, which smell like blue detergents, also caused a prejudice in me.

Contrary to the pyramid above (there is no pyramid at all), the perfume somehow has a top note that disappears after a few minutes. On the website they describe this top note as a thunderstorm. The Sillage is relatively strong at first. The fragrance is green-fresh and floral with a hint of wood. After a few minutes it smells green and herbaceous. The flowery one disappears, the Sillage too. On the website they call it a comforting murmur and I can understand that. After the storm the air is clean and the constant wind from the sea blows over the green pastures.

The shelf life is okay but the fragrance is really very close to the body. Family testers complained about the low Sillage. All in all, "Un Air de Bretagne" reminds me of "Eau de Campagne", which is also a homage to the northwestern French landscape. Only the other way around, first a little flowery, then herbaceous, while "Eau de Campagne" first offers a meadow scent and then becomes flowery. I honestly don't know if I need both and if not, which one I would prefer. They don't care about prices either.

I could imagine that "Un Air de Bretagne" can be used daily, at work and in leisure time. A comforting murmur is always welcome. But a permanent thunderstorm would be better for going out. In my opinion, the fragrance can be worn by men and women of all ages and, therefore, in all seasons. Whereby the winter is perhaps a matter of negotiation (you have to decide it with yourself).
6.0 9.0 10.0 8.5/10

Holidays on the Atlantic - maritime fragrance experience
Since I sprayed UN AIR DE BRETAGNE on the Atlantic coast of Brittany, I have known what it smells like in Brittany, or more precisely, how wind, waves and spray feel to my nose. And I must say, the air of this region could please me permanently. But since an emigration to France is probably unthinkable, it comforts me that I discovered this extraordinary fragrance and can now take a strong breath of Brittany with me wherever I am.

From the very beginning I feel beguiling freshness, vastness, spiciness and wildness and at the same time I am surrounded by comfort, warmth and softness. The perfume radiates a natural liveliness that immediately fascinates me. His name, which I would translate as "A Breeze of Brittany" or "Breath of Brittany", is therefore well chosen. How am I supposed to describe that... Maybe like this: The perfume breathes, breathes on my skin, refreshes my body, wakes me up and awakens my spirits. The fragrance conceived by perfumer Juliette Karagueuzoglou also stimulates my imagination with its poetic name. The word 'Brittany' alone triggers a multitude of pleasant associations in me... the sea, steep cliffs and roaring breakwaters; I literally smell the salty air and something like a maritime atmosphere. I also think of ancient, winding natural stone houses, many of which still exist in Brittany and which, with their wild gardens, blend harmoniously into the landscape formed by the wind. A landscape characterised by cypresses, large fields of hydrangea bushes and heather. Genuine Bretons must also be a bit stubborn, for they have preserved their very own language to this day, especially in West Brittany. And Breton is not a dialect, it is very different from the French language. I remember the smells of the region with freshly baked crêpes and cider - both delicious treats!

Back to the fragrance and its for me amazing main theme, the Alge-Absolue. Algae and seaweed play the leading role in this perfume, which according to the manufacturer is supposed to please both women and men. I see I wouldn't have guessed it, neither algae nor a scent for either. For me, it's more of a feminine perfume, at least for the first few hours. It lasts with me from morning to night without ever being intrusive... After the first three to four hours, for example, the fragrance becomes spicier, warmer woody, more profound and thus more masculine for my sensation. But everyone has to find that out for themselves. I admit, with 'Alge' I spontaneously think of our badly plagued, partly musty smelling waters. But the Alge-Absolue used in this perfume quickly dispels this thought, because it simply smells delicious, namely of salty sea air - so spicy, bitter and unconventional. This algae scent is ideal for all beach and sea lovers - so also for me! He catapults me in my imagination to lonely beaches, to wildly jagged coasts and lets me hear the cry of the seagull. The smell of the sea in UN AIR DE BRETAGNE reminds me of my last holidays and this is something very nice.

The Alge-Absolue is surrounded by Neroli, Ambra, Zypresse-Absolue and Cedar green according to the pyramid and obviously this means above all the association of fresh wind, iodine-containing, healthy spicy air and sea breezes. If the picture in my head is supposed to match the smell in my nose, I would have to think of a wooden barge, which ships crates of bitter orange over the water. Maybe there are also tobacco products slumbering in a box... I think the idea of starting with Neroli, the bitter orange blossom, is ideal. Such a floral-fresh and sweet-sour opening fits wonderfully to the maritime atmosphere. The absolute of cypress and cedar leaf give pleasant, tangy green notes. I also notice rosemary and thyme, which I like both very much. Cypress, cedar, ambergris and wild herbs blend into each other and round off with their warm and woody tones, creating a great balance with the initially dominant, citric-aquatic notes. Interestingly, after 8 to 10 hours (!) a still fresh orange and sweetish soft ambre can be perceived in my mouth, but that's almost all that remains - which I find wonderful...

Where the beguiling thing in this fragrance actually comes from, I can't say for sure. But you don't always have to break it down so precisely. Actually, I find a perfume particularly successful when all the essences combine completely with each other to create a unique, complex fragrance experience that eludes any perceived analysis. Here, it's just a matter of enjoying....
Apropos enjoyment: I enjoy reading crime novels, especially on holiday and especially when the novel is set in Brittany. I close with a few sentences from "Breton Pride" by the author Jean-Luc Bannalec, because they fit so well to UN AIR DE BRETAGNE:

"Wonderful. Everything came back, the expanse, the sky, the light. And it smelled particularly intense. The Atlantic was close. You could still taste the salt in the air here at the river, smelled algae, seaweed, minerals. Commissioner Dupin had had to deal with the exact composition of the sea water during his last major case and had been deeply impressed. No wonder life was born right here in Brittany. You could hear the waves crashing on the rocks. When there was sea wind, they could be heard over great distances. Every single wave..."

A hearty 'thank you' to the lovely Parfuma, who sent me this bottling and thus absolutely hit my taste or smell.
6.0 3.0 6.0 7.0/10

Crystalline Sea Spray and Pebbles
The centre accord of Un Air de Bretagne on my skin, is unquestionably a sea spray effect, and it's at the front right from the start. I usually struggle with salty, aquatic, calone-heavy fragrances, but this sea spray accord in Un Air de Bretagne is like a rejuvenated version of the popular 90s theme and surprisingly wearable to me.

It's salty, but I detect nothing fish-smelling. Instead, it smells like pebble stones, sand and iodine, and the inorganic feeling is further enhanced by the mineral aspect of ambroxan. It's fresh, but not really in an aquatic, watery way; rather, it's crystalline and airy, like the air by the sea.

This sea spray accord is mainly supported by bergamot and neroli on my skin. Their aromatic greenery adds sparkles in the opening, which is then replaced by a balsamic, almost caramelised but diaphanous amber sweetness in the dry down. The sillage is mostly close to skin during its 7-hour longevity on my skin.

The first time I tested Un Air de Bretagne, I thought it smelt very close to Hermès Eau des Merveilles Bleue, which was released in spring of the same year. After comparing them side by side, I find a few differences, but the overall crystalline, iodine sea mist evocation is very similar. Un Air de Bretagne features bergamot and neroli, while Hermès opted for lemon and a more prominent white musk, but the sea spray/pebble stone/sand accord is in the same vein.

Since its purchase by Puig and change of packaging, the fragrances that L'Artisan put out in their main line are all very straightforward in structure, but still retain an idyllic, naturalistic and poetic sensation. Un Air de Bretagne is no exception, like an olfactory haiku capturing the air of Brittany shore on a breezy sunny day (which is not very frequent...). Although I doubt it would completely reverse the aversion to marine fragrances, Un Air de Bretagne is worth a try if you're ready to take on the genre, or are currently looking for a fresh, crystalline, sea spray fragrance.

Popular L'Artisan Parfumeur

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur Traversée du Bosphore by L'Artisan Parfumeur Vanille Absolument / Havana Vanille by L'Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse aux Papillons (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur Nuit de Tubéreuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur Séville à l'Aube by L'Artisan Parfumeur Mûre et Musc (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur Jour de Fête by L'Artisan Parfumeur L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur Premier Figuier (Eau de Toilette) by L'Artisan Parfumeur Cœur de Vétiver Sacré by L'Artisan Parfumeur Mon Numéro 10 by L'Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur Caligna by L'Artisan Parfumeur