Vanilia by L'Artisan Parfumeur
Where to buy?
Vanilia (L'Artisan Parfumeur)
Vanilia is a perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur for women and was released in 1978. The scent is sweet-flowery. The production was apparently discontinued.

Jean Laporte

Amber, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Ylang-ylang

Submitted by Schnuffi, last update on 13.07.2016

Vanilia is the first perfume in which ethylmaltol (reminiscent of caramel, cotton candy, butterscotch) was used, and thus it had significant influence on the subsequent development of the gourmand genre. Maltol occurs naturally (when malt is roasted, hence the name). Ethylmaltol is a synthetic variant, the four-to sixfold increase of the caramel impression.

Bottle 5.0/10
Sillage 5.0/10
Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 7.0/10
Vanilia
This fragrance starts with an accord made of vanilla and ylang ylang. Reminiscent of Vanilla Galante, this fragrance is sweeter and heavier than the Hermessence. The two notes, spice and floral, are well-blended and harmonise perfectly. Underneath the two note I detect a trace of amber which gives the fragrance depth and a slight saltiness which boosts by contrast the vanilla note. As the fragrance progresses, it sheds most of the vanilla note and all there remains is ylang ylang framed by amber and a touch of vanilla. Now a true floral, the fragrance is soft and feminine, perfect to wear on a spring or early autumn evening. As the fragrance dries down, it gets fuller and softer, the floral note slowly fades and amber and sandalwood characterise this last stage. Lasts for hours on my skin.
Bottle 10.0/10
Sillage 5.0/10
Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 7.0/10
3 Awards
Vanilla Wafers--the ultimate comfort food
L'Artisan Parfumeur VANILIA has apparently been discontinued, but I reviewed it a while back and happened upon the remaining milliliter in my sample vial while looking for something else. Apparently some people regard this perfume as a masterpiece (ahem). It smells to me most like vanilla wafers, which I happen to love, although I cannot say that I've ever considered dusting my body with their scent. I suppose that I could pulverize them and see how that works... Another reviewer has reported that VANILIA calls to her mind banana pudding. I'm wondering whether she may be confusing the smell of vanilla wafers--used to line the pie shell of a banana pie--with the banana cream proper.

All good Americans have tasted this dessert, a veritable institution of middle class suburban culture, and particularly prevalent in parts south of the Mason-Dixon line. It's basically a layer of vanilla wafers on top of which sliced bananas are placed before being covered with what is usually vanilla pudding. Yes, that is what VANILIA is to my nose: a comfort food, not a great perfume! (-;