Voleur de Roses

(1993)
Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur
Where to buy?
Voleur de Roses (L'Artisan Parfumeur)
Voleur de Roses is a perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur for women and men and was released in 1993. It is being marketed by Puig.

Michel Almairac

Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 8.0/10
2 Awards
My #1 choice of rose for my man
The opening of this is unbelievably wonderful! It's like sitting in a damp bed of roses. I get the soil, stems, flowers, leaves and dew. It's all there and it's amazing.

After the initial opening, the Patchouli, which is pretty dirty, becomes dominant and feels a bit to masculine on me. The rose flower is also pretty dominant with the patchouli but it's not a feminine, girly rose. It's masculine and thorny (on me at least). I never really got any of the plum outright but maybe it's what is helping balance everything.

The sillage and longevity are Moderate. This is a Fantastic Rose scent for a man. It's one of my favorites in fact, and I often suggest it to the men looking for a good manly rose scent.

May
2014
Scent 5.0/10
Very helpful Review    7 Awards
Mort de Roses
I love the smell of roses and I've been on the hunt for a masculine, rose dominant perfume since day one of my fragrance addiction. Initially I wasn't having much luck so I consulted several blogs and forums to get recommendations. One of the most highly recommended fragrances was Voleur de Roses. So imagine my disappointment when I received my sample, sprayed it on and all I could think was, "Everybody likes this? What am I missing?"

Well, for one thing, roses.

OK, to be honest, there is rose in Voleur de Roses. But L'Artisan should have marketed this as a patchouli based fragrance and called it "L'Assassin de Roses". Those poor roses are having the fight of their life as they're strangled by the patchouli. It isn't long before we are left with "Mort de Roses" and the patchouli stands alone.

Full disclosure: Even though I love the smell of patchouli in small doses I'm not a fan of it as a dominant note. If it's too present it quickly overwhelms me. With that in mind, I must admit my nose is not attuned to patchouli's subtleties and variations. But as Sherapop noted in her review, the patchouli in Voleur de Roses is dry and dirty and I find it a weird pairing with the rose. The two really do fight. Imagine being served cantaloupe with a dollop of mustard. The sweet, slightly floral melon struggling against the assertive, grainy mustard. I'm not saying that this example represents an analogy in terms of smell. But it seems to capture my sensory experience with the odd juxtaposition of notes found in Voleur de Roses.

I don't have any issues with the longevity of Voleur de Roses except that the rose disappears while the patchouli lives on and on.

By the way, please DO NOT send me your favorite cantaloupe and mustard recipes.
Bottle 7.5/10
Sillage 5.0/10
Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 10.0/10
1 Award
Rain Soaked Patchouli
Roses the flowers of saints; this is the most purest most natural organic
rose fragrance it's not a powdery synthitic rose compound like in givenchy's very irresistable. made with
the purest rose oil and patchouli makes it an earthy feel.

conjoures up the feeling of a pilgrimage to guadelupe mexico to visit
the shrine of the virgin mary or the day of the dead festival in mexico full of colorful flowers dancing skellinton
puppets and dirt.

it's bit a feminine to classify as a
men scent a refined fragrance that is
not gaudy loud or flashy perfect for
sipping deep red wine.
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 7.0/10
Helpful Review    4 Awards
Don't permit thieves reeking of patchouli in your rose garden!
L'Artisan Parfumeur VOLEUR DE ROSES is one among a cluster of recent rose patchouli perfumes. This one lacks the sweetness found in, above all, ANGEL LA ROSE. The patchouli note is also rather dry and dirty here, rather than sugar-coated and caramelized, as in the ANGEL flanker.

I have no objection to the earthy presentation of the patchouli, although it is true that it swiftly overwhelms the delicate and already understated rose. (Don't permit thieves reeking of patchouli anywhere near your rose garden!) My only real complaint is that VOLEUR DE ROSES exhibits under some weather conditions the defect common to many offerings of this house: lousy longevity.

In contrast to Lush KARMA, this patchouli-rich perfume strikes me as a composition, not just a mixture of patchouli oil with other essential oils (in the case of KARMA, orange figures prominently). But you really do have to love patchouli to wear this one, too!