KL (1982) Eau de Toilette

KL (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld
Bottle Design Marc Rosen

KL (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Lagerfeld for women and was released in 1982. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesSpices, Aldehydes, Orange, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesClove, Pimento, Cinnamon, Rose, Orchid, Ylang-ylang, Jasmine
Base Notes Base NotesLabdanum, Ambergris, Frankincense, Benzoin, Vanilla, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Civet, Styrax

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 06.12.2019.

The bottle design won a FiFi award in 1983.

9.0 9.0 9.0 10.0/10

Formidable
I miss him painfully! And I guess it'll always be that way. Never before have I been so deeply sad about the loss of a person that I was never allowed to see and get to know personally. I once had the pleasure of getting to know some very important designers personally. Claude Montana, Vivienne Westwood and even Jean Paul Gaultier were among them. But unfortunately never Karl. He's gone away forever. And it feels like he took a tiny part of me with him. He was at my side from my earliest youth. She came with me. Inspires me on my path of creation. His creativity was limitless and inexhaustible. He was like an old friend to me. I loved listening to him so much. Razor-sharp was the mind and his tongue. He was characterized by an incredible degree of discipline and creativity. Attributes I hold in great esteem for him. Karl and I were very much alike! He was like a mentor and a role model to me. All my life! Creating something wonderful connected us both like a band. Creativity and aesthetics cannot be learned. You're born with it. Karl was blessed with it as I was. From artist to artist I bow down deep before his art and his gift to have made this world a little more beautiful, elegant and dazzling for a while. One of his most impressive works in the history of perfume is probably KL. A perfume which probably best underlines the limitless and immeasurable creative spirit of Karl Lagerfeld!

KL
KL opens with tones of aldehydes and a soft note of dried oranges. Gentle chords of spices already resonate quietly. A soft, spicy freshness, but soon changes. Flowery notes follow, which in turn are accompanied by ever more powerful spices. Cinnamon and cloves are key players. KL has incredibly smooth and flowing transitions throughout its course. Single notes are very difficult to recognize in detail. Sometimes it feels like making the perfume what it wants. The individual notes come and go as they please. But what makes KL stand out is its unforgettable and dreamlike base. The deepest Orient surrounds the wearer like a cocoon of infinite warmth and depth. Soft tones of soft benzoin and amber appear. A waxy-creamy Styrax flows through KL like a warm flow of feelings. Quiet chords of incense and smoky vanilla spray their magic. A hint of animal Zibet ignites the spark of life and passion that made this fragrance unforgettable. An icon was born!

Conclusion
With KL, Karl Lagerfeld and Roger Pellégrino have made a gift to the world of beauty. And the world is a woman! This perfume will remain unforgettable. For both women and men worldwide. It is a painful loss that KL no longer exists. Just like Karl himself. This perfume was and is one of the greatest gifts Karl Lagerfeld gave the universe of fragrances. An homage to femininity, elegance and beauty. Whoever can still call this fragrance his own should consider himself very lucky. KL is still available somewhere in the world, but the price is constantly rising for a half or full bottle. And he will continue to climb after the death of Karl Lagerfeld. In a few years, he'll be priceless. But now he is for many in a completely different sense!

It was you. It's you. And you'll always be it for me Karl!

Formidable!

10.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

Ka(r)leidoscopic Oriental
Yes, yes, this Mr. Lagerfeld has something very special. And: He stays true to himself.
Still the braid like umpteen years ago, still the sunglasses and still avant-garde (yes, even today)
But the best scents of this fashion figur were unfortunately abolished, simply let disappear in the sinking.
And this fragrance has it in it in the truest sense of the word.
A huge array of fragrances that don't "dance" in a row, but when you don't expect them. They do what they want. Like Karl.
There is first of all an orange spicy "top note", which has put it into the "head" to take some members from the band of the middle note with it, it "cinnamons" and "pimentet" from full tube, if actually flowers should stand on the "program".
These, however, take the liberty of running off the rank of incense, patchouli and styrax only late.
They in turn dare to say "hello" in the middle of the "action", only to retreat sulking for a short time, because Ylang Ylang and Cloves are showing off. when just Zibet is meowing past.
"KL is like a kaleidoscope. New patterns emerge all the time at the slightest movement of the device. Always different colors and compositions delight the eye (in this case the nose) to fascinate the wearer.
And hardly one of the possible olfactory combinations of the fragrances is omitted.
With very good shelf life and Sillage one can smell the whole day long always "differently", always deliciously oriental.
Just KA(R)LEIDOSKOPISCH...!!
5.0 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Dalmajen
The Secret behind the fan....
Yesterday I had such a craving to wear this wonderful fragrance again. I have a very little bit, left in the bottle, so decided I would wear it, and really enjoy it, as I did years ago. Oh how I loved wearing this gem! It's extremely well put together. It opens with a smooth, bright orange, which combined with the bergamot and spices just grabs your attention from the very start. The spices play a huge part in this fragrance, and they are very vibrant. The cinnamon is deep, almost like it has just been purchased at the African spice market, and the same goes for the cloves. They aren't weak, by any means, but they don't override the other fabulous notes. The rose and jasmine shine through, and the pepper and ylang-ylang play their parts just right. But the biggest secret is the dry down. It just seems to drift into the dry down, ever so discreetly. The warm amber..patchouli and vanilla, with the touch of civet. This fragrance lasts and lasts. It needs to applied with a bit of caution, as even the EDT is strong. I have heard people describe this as very similar to Opium. In my opinion, it isn't. I wore Opium for years, so I can compare them. Both are spicy, yes..but they have a completely different vibe. And the dry downs differ. I purchased my last bottle of this fragrance in the late nineties, duty free). I could never find it again, after that. I had the shower gel at one stage, and it was astounding! I have never had such a potent shower gel. I loved wearing this perfume..it was such a striking, and vibrant scent. Maybe that's perhaps I'm a Tauer fan) His no.12 for example..Eau D'Epices). The wonders of the fragrances from these times..the longevity. Oh, how I long for that wonderful staying power, on today's perfumes! This was not a super expensive purchase in the eighties, but the prices have soared! Never mind, I loved it when I wore it, and the secret behind the fan is still safe with me!

by DemonHead
by Somebody
by Piapedersen
by Piapedersen

Popular Lagerfeld

Lagerfeld Classic (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld Sun Moon Stars (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld Photo (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld KL (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld Karl Lagerfeld for Him by Lagerfeld KL Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld Karl Lagerfeld for Her by Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Bois de Vétiver by Lagerfeld Karleidoscope by Lagerfeld Kapsule Woody by Lagerfeld Jako (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld Lagerfeld Femme by Lagerfeld Kapsule Floriental  by Lagerfeld Kapsule Light by Lagerfeld Lagerfeld Man (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Fleur de Pêcher by Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Bois de Yuzu by Lagerfeld Private Klub for Men by Lagerfeld Paradise Bay for Men by Lagerfeld Paradise Bay for Women by Lagerfeld