Lagerfeld Classic (1978) Eau de Toilette

Lagerfeld Classic (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld
Bottle Design: Lagerfeld

Lagerfeld Classic (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Lagerfeld for men and was released in 1978. The scent is spicy-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Ron Winnegrade

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Tarragon, Green notes, Clary sage, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris root, Jasmine, Patchouli, Rose, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Musk, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 24.09.2019

8.0 7.0 8.0 7.5/10

Aunt Rosa
Karl Lagerfeld was always a striking grand seigneur with decided views. So what's with "Aunt Rosa"? More about this later.

Let's first get straight to the fragrance, which I astonishingly tasted for the first time:

Alcoholised sage with traces of tarragon, no lemon, sparing green to start with and first powdery hints. The heart note is not long in coming: sweet creamy roses reminiscent of a lady in her small, elegant villa from distant times. Significantly for me, this lady was called Aunt Rosa. I put up with feminine reminiscences of this kind. And who does not like pleasant associations from the past?
Like already some predecessors also the appearance of actually absent Lavendels appears to me. It continues to be quite flowery and creamy. A little bit of bitter, a little bit more quiet, also patchouli, everything closely connected. Can a smoker perceive the tobacco content? I certainly can't. In the transition to the base, the blossom sweetness increases once more to merge into balsamic softness on mossy ground.

Obviously the Lagerfeld Classic is not a classic masculine fragrance for me. I don't perceive spicy, herbaceous, striking. I want to wear it when I'm in a soft and dreamy mood, unless that 'Crème De Rose' in the arms of an amber patchouli dreamy mood is the last thing that creates that mood in me.
8.0 10.0 10.0 9.5/10

Amber Anise Tarragon Wood Powder
Strategic, conceptual, substantial, headstrong, retrospective, futuristic, intellectual, chic, creative, erotic, controversial, disciplined, selfish, German and a little bit perverse - Karl Lagerfeld ( Classic ). A lot of attributes for a lot of fragrance.

Steal fom some of the best of a whole century: Armani Classic/Azzaro pH (Herbs, Orange, Spices, Flowers, Aldehydes, Anise, Amber), Knize Ten/ Trumper Spanish Leather (Gasoline, Indol, Wood, Leather, Sandal), Royal Copenhagen/Jovan Musk (Powder, Honey, Iris). I find all these scents in KLC, which was also able to create something absolutely independent out of them. There are many excellent scents that are classy. And there are many outstanding fragrances that are sexy, but I don't know anyone who likes to combine both so iconic.
I personally like the Interparfum Edit (I don't smell synthetic) better than the original. This brings the herb, anise, amber aspect more into the foreground and still retains the original vibe fully. Except for the oak moss, that is gone, which seems to me a bit old-fashioned and rough, but also kept the sweetness nicely in check here, which is now a little more pronounced due to the omission. It's certainly due to my personal preference, but KLC is for me one of the most provocative fragrances for ladies I know.
But I had to go through half a century to discover it for myself, sometimes, or very rarely, he needs his certain moments.
If KL had been a rather unknown niche designer, this perfume would be considered one of the most obscure today. In contrast, even Salvador Dali pH is rather unobtrusive.
His, respectively Lagerfeld's corresponding overpopularity in the eighties has, I think, damaged the scent very much.
PS: Dosage is everything here. Two shallow sprays are just right, super classy, dry, magnetic, sexy and chic. Every quantum beyond that seems vulgar (downright stupid), gelatinized and oily (Opoponax, Tonka) - keyword: the greasy taxi driver.
I don't know any stronger EDT than KLC and I know a few - it's strong like a perfume Concentree.
8.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

Had I known ...
If I'd known, I'd have
it doesn't happen,
everything came differently,
our lives are different and and and ...
Had I known then who Karl was, over-candidated with his stupid fan, a pompous man before the Lord and an epitome of Western arrogance - I would never have tried Lagerfeld! Sometimes it's quite good that you didn't notice everything behind the "iron curtain".
Somehow, in 1990, I came into possession of a Lagerdeld Classic bottle. I really don't know how anymore, but it was like a revelation. It didn't smell of wood, tobacco, vanilla, rose or green notes, it smelled of freedom, of the big wide world, elegance, wealth, independence, just of everything you missed for so long. And it didn't stop with the years! While elsewhere disillusionment occurred, I wore my scent raised head and abundantly always and everywhere for many, many years. In the meantime I also knew who Karl Lagerfeld was and what he represented. I still didn't like the person, his scent all the more and was happy and confirmed when I met people who smelled just like me. No thanks to mainstream and the like.
Today I mainly put on other perfumes with more character and individuality, "one has finally developed oneself further" and thinks about where, what, how and why to be. But none of them can ever top Karls Lagerfeld. And it's not the scent or Karl! It is the wonderful memories and extraordinary experiences of the years that bring emotions to me when I only look at the characteristic flacon.
So surely everyone has a scent, a thing or a thing in which so much of life is hidden. And I, for myself, am so glad that I did not know it once!!!
6.0 9.0 9.0 8.5/10

Chanel N°5 for Man?
If you entered a discotheque at the end of the 70s, beginning of the 80s, you could be sure that Karl was already there. A scent you couldn't avoid.

Even trained cleaners, it was probably not possible or not intended by them (?) to find a remedy against this smell.

At that time, I didn't experience any women's or girls' scent that would have had anything to do with it. There's already been opium from YSL. However, this fragrance was, probably because of its price, rather rare in such an environment.

Back then, I couldn't warm up for that scent. Somehow all wore it (felt). The world smelled of him.

With my favourite scents like 'Grey Flannel' and 'Brut' there was no 'counter stink' possible. Only with 'Lanvin for Man' I was able to set my own fragrant accent.

Carried myself, I never carried the camp field at the time. For many non-bearers like me, the first association that always came to mind was the "stable".

I cannot crystallize out a single fragrance note even to this day, the potpourri from the attached fragrances results in an overall picture forever.
Maybe that's due to the past, too.
A few powdery flowers, with a certain sweetness, which are accompanied by something woody-moosy, but that was it, too - Oriental spice wood.

Now his time is actually long gone. ... and every time I enter a DM or Rossmann I catch myself taking the scent up my nose again.

I haven't worn this scent myself until today. Yet it is a scent of memory. (Reformulation now back and forth.)

Because of these memories, I will probably hang it up every now and then today.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Karl Lagerfeld was a big fan of 'Chanel N°5' all his life. Did he have a say in this fragrance (?) or did he just give up his name?"
8.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

Homage to a Brilliant Man
Karl Lagerfeld had worked for Jean Patou, Cloe, Krizia, Valentino and Fendi as a designer. He also worked as the design director for Chanel from 1982 to 2000, being responsible for bringing the near-dead brand back to life as well as creating the CC monograph of Coco Chanel into a style pattern for the house that we see today. He had also began his own Karl Lagerfeld brand, which was established to channel "intellectual sexiness". Karl worked with Fendi until his death last month, at the age of 85.

When I had read the news of his passing, I realized that I had never tried the Karl Lagerfeld fragrances. I was able to find a 50 ml bottle of Lagerfeld Classic at a drug store (Walgreens) in the US for $25.

The opening notes gives me a slightly soapy citrus and herbal notes. Very reminiscent of 80's classics. After a short time I begin to get a woody dusty floral with tobacco highlight. I am really enjoying this part, and then it gets even better! A strong (but not too strong) musk with an oriental sweetness begins to develop not long after the heart notes come into play, which stay until the end.

To my nose, the musk really stands out. Personally, I do not like overbearing animalic musk, but the musk note in Lagerfeld Classic is very enjoyable coupled with the other notes, especially the tobacco, and oriental. This fragrance smells very sexy.

This will last over 12 hours on your skin and wears best during Spring, Autumn and Winter.

Although this fragrance is intended for men, women will enjoy this one as well.

An expensive smelling fragrance at an inexpensive price. A must have for any collection or for a lover of musk.

9/10
8.0 8.0 9.0 8.5/10

The King is Death
The king is death, long live the king!
Unfortunately it will not be so easy to replace Karl the Great at Chanel.
With Im went a very great, a doer one with visions and always the heart on the tongue!
He was not a round sucked parrot who said what others wanted to hear!
Now we come to the fragrance...there was no disco or club at the beginning of the 80ies...cinema loge where you didn't meet a flood of Lagerfeld.
Mostly totally overdosed!
Some thought a lot helps a lot...but at Lagerfeld it was like this...one hub too many and you were on the verge of fainting
nevertheless Lagerfeld is a fragrance with a high recognition value, a classic...a fragrance with a clear edge...just like its eponym!
The king is death, long live the king!
God have him sellig... Karl
8.0 9.0 8.0 8.5/10

Bob2020
Smell of my youth. It's a nice memory.
Lagerfeld. I wore the scent from 16 to 20 years of age. After Davidoff's Cool Water was quickly over me after initial enthusiasm, I switched to Lagerfeld. Never regretted it.

What we have not all experienced together. At that time I was fast and also often in love with the girls. A wild time, a lot of joy but also tears when a love broke. It changed everything, sometimes, way too fast. Lagerfeld was always there. The only constant at that time. So intense, so warm, so uncompromising "delicious". Even the gait was different when you wore Lagerfeld :D Simply beautiful.

I remember that at that time I always sprayed my letters with Lagerfeld. The girls already knew that the mail from me was there before they opened the mailbox :D Not many did that, because the effect of this measure was strong again and again. There was no WhatsApp and no texting back then. Letters were important. Yes, Lagerfeld was my key to the ladies' world. For this I am quite grateful to this fragrance.

Today I see Lagerfeld in the discount store, at the checkout, next to the razor blades. It always makes me a little wistful and I think: you don't deserve that, you old warhorse, you primal stone of men's fragrances. But on the other hand, it's not so bad that it's so cheap today. Maybe he will help one or the other young lad to make his first experiences with love. Although I don't know what it's like to be young today. Maybe Lagerfeld is "too old" today. Even though you can't spray it on a whatsapp message, a try for the young gentlemen of that time is definitely worth Lagerfeld. And for me and for many others a wonderful memory.
9.0 9.0 7.0 9.5/10

a classic
Old and really good - maybe not mainstream at the moment, but that's how this fragrance has character - a classic, a very good one!
8.0 8.0 9.0 8.0/10

Old school, new pleasures
Congratulations to Karl Lagerfeld for the inspiration to create this fragrance and to mantain it on the market since 1978.
I bought Lagerfeld Classic quite recently so I'll just have the current formulation in my mind.
- It opens with aldehydes and a strong unusual orange note (Citrus + Tarragon = Orange?), Well, it smells like a plesant strong zesty sweet boozy Orange.
- Then you notice three musketeers in action, Tonka + Vanilla + Amber dueling with Tobacco. What a divine scent. It's very lively in the begining and slowly it calms down as the time goes by... and it lasts and lasts and lasts...
Eight hours went by and I still have a faint projection in the back of my hand (just 1 spray) and a marvelous skin scent.
Comments:
Due to its well tamed sweetness, I imagine that this fragrance may as well be considered as unisex, I can picture this magificent powdry sweet Vanilla-Amber-Sweet Tobacco dry down on a woman's skin,

My rates for Karl Lagerfeld for men:
Scent opening: 8.0 (unusual but pleasant)
Scent drydown: 8.5 (very pleasant)
Longevity: 9.0 (above average for the existing notes and close to beasty)
Sillage: 8.0 (6 feet at its peak with just 1 spray)
Uniqueness: 9.0 (quite unique blending, considering the existing fragrances that I am aware of; Nobody was able - or care to - to copy it in the past 40 years)
Wearability: 9.0 (close to 4 seasons, day or night with the exception of extreame cold or heat)
Versatility: 9.0 (yes to clubbing, socializing, events, restaurants... and yes to dates, romancing, sex, office, picnics, weaddings, movies, birthday gift to your father in law... no to workout and beach!)
Compliments: 8.0 (not bad for an old school; younger people will say is outdated; older people will love it; everybody loves the zesty opening)
Quality: 8.0 (my judgement)
Presentation: 8.0 (simple but effective; very good sprayer)
Price: 9.0 (100 ml tester for 18 Euros + VAT + shipping)
Overall rating: 8.50/10.00
- between 7 and 8 =above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recomended;
- bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Yes, it's super old school but it's also super pleasant. Not advisable if you are commited only to fresh, sweet. modern "blue" scents. Otherwise it's a must!

Music: Phil Collins - "In The Air Tonight"
10.0 7.0 6.0 9.0/10

Classic Lagerfeld
My video review on what I consider the very first signature scent I ever had. The review is based on the current Interparfums version of this scent. Please enjoy.

8.0/10

Drseid
Aldehydes, Orange and Oakmoss...
*This review is of the vintage version of Lagerfeld Classic called Lagerfeld Cologne.

Lagerfeld Cologne opens with a dulled rose and orange laced blast of aldehydes before quickly transitioning to its mid phase. As the fragrance enters its early heart, the aldehydes recede but the deep dulled orange and rose tandem remains, now joined by slightly powdery orris root, relatively animalic musk and sweet tonka bean rising from the base. During the late dry-down the fragrance turns considerably less sweet as the musk, rose and orange dissipate though never completely vacate the composition while powdery oakmoss, amber and vanilla lead the fragrance through its finish, joining their remnants. Projection is very good and longevity excellent at 10-12 hours on skin.

Lagerfeld Cologne has a dark orange colored juice and that is exactly what you smell with the composition early-on. In some ways the open reminds me of the great Jean Kerleo's vintage Sublime by Jean Patou. The fragrance stays pretty linear through the dry-down, but the powdery focus from the oakmoss and vanilla in the base kind of sneaks up on you. As someone who is not a fan of powder in compositions one might expect it to not impress, though while the late dry-down is indeed quite powdery, it never gets out of hand and the remnants of the musk and orange temper its bite just enough to work quite well. The bottom line is the relatively inexpensive and available vintage Lagerfeld Cologne is somewhat out of fashion nowadays but it still smells great earning a "very good" to "excellent" 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5 rating and a solid recommendation. It should also be mentioned that if you enjoy Lagerfeld Cologne it is worth seeking out its sadly discontinued sister scent KL Homme that takes its overall accord and improves on it.
7.5 7.5 5.0 10.0/10

Smooth, Powdery, Soft, Handsome
Back in the day-I had a boyfriend who wore this scent; he was neither smooth, powder nor refined- in fact, he was a rogue of an angry drunk Scotsman with a penchant for inappropriate public behavior. Like all undomesticated animals, eventually he had to be released back into his natural habitat. The glaring juxtaposition between his big, loud, often garish personality and his soft silky smooth, refined signature scent has just now hit me. I just retested this handsome scent and it is a mellow late night jazz, totally secure in your own self type of scent. It has the kind of lasting power famous in the 90s. Eight to ten hours easily, but a fairly soft sillage that wouldn't even be caught in the same nightclub as Drakkar Noir or Polo Classic. This is a honey-colored suede jacket with jeans and the laid back but intelligent, reserved demeanor of a Taurus, steady quiet confidence Capricorn or the artistic doe eyes of a Pisces. Not in sync with brashness of an Aries or the flamboyant and regal Leo. For my part, this is Tarragon and Bergamot with a good dose of 90s aldehydes over an oakmoss slightly sweet Tonka and dry vanilla (but far less so than say- [gag-me-with-a-spoon!] Givenchy Pi's- honeyed nature). This dries to a powdery orris root woody base with a smidge of golden amber. I dabble in unisex/men's classic fragrances, so thought I could pull off myself, but trust me ladies...let the men have this one; it really expands in depth and complexity better on their skin- on my skin it just fizzled into the smell of a musty cedar chest filled with patchouli resin dried roses and maple cured ham. In the end, this goes out like a lamb, not a lion; making it ideal, very attractive and snuggle worthy to my watery moody hedonistic Cancerian persona.

Refined Elegance
I had to persue an original splash bottle from Lagerfeld Perfumes and not Coty. The difference between the two is somewhat vast. The later is a pale chemical laden shadow of the original. The original is a shocker in every sense. The resemblance to Shalimar is uncanny. Considering Karl Lagerfeld himself used Shalimar, it was no surprise that the notes are so close. Add tobacco flower and oakmoss and you have unisex masterpiece

The iris/vanilla get powdery and old school-say 1790s powdered wig...Its contemporay character is barbershop clean. I dont find it overly sexy or sweet. Its is my "go to" comfort scent in winter months.

I originally had a bottle in 1986 and thought of like candy. My collection only included YSL Kouros and Paco Pabanne PH and a few others. This was the avant gard formula that encouraged me to declare an art major. Its was a very "New Age" choice.

If you were a fan and want to hunt some down, make sure to look for the old packaging with the longer letters. It is just Lagerfeld and not classic. Its out there and getting harder to find.

Coty really knows how to destroy a classic!
7.5 5.0/10

Once Upon a Time in the West
Amazing that you can still get Lagerfeld Classic! And it is not even hard to find – it is standard range in many perfume shops, at least in Germany, where you will fin it on the bottom shelf. Who are the people that buy this stuff?

Karl Lagerfeld Classic is a typical Aromatic Fougère – that strange class of scent that was popular in the 1979s and 80s, and that intended to provide a very unique expression of masculinity. Ironically, Aromatic Fougères like Classic contain ingredients that no "real man" would spray if he had a close look: aldehydes, such as you find in Chanel Nr. 5, jasmin and rose. And it is very sweet also, through its whole development!

Nevertheless, Classic provides this strong Charles-Bronson-Western-feeling, and this results from these indolic notes that are quite strong here. An echo of sweat an piss states very clearly - this guy just returned from 1000 miles horseback riding. Of course, these type of men may stink!

Besides that, we also have this typical, overloaded way that the top and middle notes are handled, and that makes them difficult to describe – OK, not as overloaded as maybe Kouros or Marbert Man. The bas notes is something dark that reminds me of russion leather. However, no birch tar ist listed. Instead, there is something musty that reminds me of mushrooms, or better: oyster mushrooms.
I do not like Lagerfeld Classic with all its unpleasant indolic sharpness.

Also, this scent is not done very well. It has lots of intensity and projection at the beginning, but keeps rather close to the skin after a while. To dose it correctly is like a game of hazard.

Whoever wants to deal with Aromatic Fougères should not ignore Kouros and the even more extreme Marbert Man. LagerfeldClassic, however, stands well back behind both.

DPArtist 31 days ago
Most disturbing scent I've ever had, like something had died within the nozzle! Classy 150ml monster bottle, amazing value if you like it!+1
2.0
Carlitos01 107 days ago
After an orange zesty opening, you notice three musketeers in action, Tonka + Vanilla + Amber dueling with Tobacco. What a divine scent!+3
KingPin 8 months ago
Used it as young. Tried it again just now. Nope. Doesn’t work as it used to. Or as teen daughter said: “What is this monstrosity?!”.+1
5.0

by Lullaby
by Mischel
by Mischel

Popular Lagerfeld

Lagerfeld Classic (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld Sun Moon Stars (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld Photo (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld KL (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld Karl Lagerfeld for Him by Lagerfeld KL Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld Karl Lagerfeld for Her by Lagerfeld Karleidoscope by Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Bois de Vétiver by Lagerfeld Kapsule Woody by Lagerfeld Jako (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld Lagerfeld Femme by Lagerfeld Kapsule Floriental  by Lagerfeld Kapsule Light by Lagerfeld Lagerfeld Man (Eau de Toilette) by Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Fleur de Pêcher by Lagerfeld Les Parfums Matières - Bois de Yuzu by Lagerfeld Private Klub for Men by Lagerfeld Paradise Bay for Men by Lagerfeld Paradise Bay for Women by Lagerfeld