Encre Noire 2006 Eau de Toilette

Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique
Bottle Design Lalique
Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Lalique for men and was released in 2006. The scent is woody-earthy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Lalique Group / Art & Fragrance. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

Nathalie Lorson

Top Notes Top NotesVetiveryl acetateVetiveryl acetate
CypressCypress
Heart Notes Heart NotesBourbon vetiverBourbon vetiver
Haitian vetiverHaitian vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesCashmere woodCashmere wood
MuskMusk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.10.2021.

A new day from camp
I have a very strong "déjà vu" when I smell this scent. He takes me back to the time when I was still a child and as a boy scout on camps was much in the forest, chopping wood and stuff.

Very much coniferous forest, lots of rain and neat breeze through the whole forest, that's what I can smell out here. That could be due to the vetiver but I think mostly the cypress is responsible for that.

Thus, the fragrance is already times absolutely positively struck me, as for the S / H I find the here rather restrained. Is more like such a fresh, earthy second skin which one carries with him, very pleasant and rather suitable for cooler days. Is nothing that draws incredible attention to itself in my opinion, for this the sillage is not present enough, but to smell a little fresher in colder days (without going into the aquatic track á la Bleu de Chanel Eau de Toilette) very well done.

To the bottle there is not much to say that the cap is above but outside of wood and sits well on the bottle I find very positive for the price. Can hold without problems on the cap the 100ml bottle, the thing sits so neatly on it and does not eiert around.

Price is as already indicated really excellent, a blind purchase it was with me and the 100ml have really paid off. Keeps with me so about 6 hours, then only skin noticeable
Black or royal blue?
Encre Noire, black ink and here we go: fragrance names evoke associations or not. Eutopie simply numbers them, Chanel does the same and others deliberately stimulate the mental cinema by naming them before the first drop has even left the bottle. The black ink stain on a white background is considered by pirates to be a message of imminent death in Stevenson's Treasure Island, and is still used that way in pop culture today. In Umberto Eco's novel The Name of the Rose, monks die with fingers and tongues stained with black ink. No lockdown helped against the "Black Death" in the Middle Ages, and "Black Friday" began a global economic crisis without bailouts; black magic, moonlighting, naysayers.... And since Encre Noir "Schwarzriecher" - only black humor helps!

The fragrance of Encre Noir itself has already been described in detail here and I therefore do not go again on the individual fragrance components, but on the subjective effect of this fragrance on me personally, because I see it a little differently: Unlike many here, I feel Encre Noir quite as a summer fragrance. For me, Encre Noir radiates a coolness that I don't know from any other fragrance. With Fahrenheit or Grey Flannel it's a metallic coolness, with the usual citrus summer scents it's more of a freshness, but Encre Noir seems cold to me . This is not because of the fragrances themselves contained, but because of the absence of anything that could smell even remotely warm or sweet-cuddly. EN is emotionlessly cold to me - frozen like a block of ice. I wonder if many of the associations described in reviews would have arisen had the fragrance been trapped in an "iced" bottle and called Encre Bleu? To me, EN is an iceberg of blue ink at the center of which a Blue Hole sucks in everything warmly sweet and cuddly and turns it into radiant cold. In the center of this "Blue Hole" there is infinite calm and it smells like royal blue. I like that very much from time to time.

No graveyard smell!
At first I was quite annoyed when I read EN is a "graveyard scent"! I find it quite different. Woody, serious, grounding, calm and confident. Perfect for everyday wear when I'm focused on work. Not loud, but perceptible.

If you read up on the ingredient vetiver you will find exactly these above properties. Relaxing, calming, meditative. But, what does this have to do with cemetery? Even a cemetery has a scent. No, it does not smell like death. There are typical cemetery plants and trees. Like vetiver, these are also typically green. Conifers, resinous trees, ivy, grasses, etc....
Therefore, however, EN smells neither of death, nor of graveyard or gravedigger. It is also not a depressing scent.

The scent and perfume world gives us enormous freedom to express ourselves and communicate. Scents also have an effect on us. Therefore probably also always the typically human question, which smell is particularly sexy. However, I do not share the attitude that everyone can wear anything at any time. That is too arbitrary for me. For this I deal too intensively with the subject.

Generally I find EN stands a mature, educated and intelligent man. Someone who is confident and settled, knows his goals and is at peace within himself. Rather the quiet type. He likes to leave squealing tires and "kickdown at traffic lights" to the boys without contempt. He drives his Porsche carefully and calmly, but emphatically. He doesn't have to prove anything to anyone
Ericyeeee1
Blind purchase and surprised in the positive!
Had already heard a lot of Encre Noir and for this price, I just had to strike.
My first opinion was split, but after a shorter time I realized that it is quite a pleasant, earthy, heavy fragrance, which is "almost" only suitable for colder / rainy days - unfortunately...
Of course, I can understand why some of the previous reviewers don't like this fragrance because it's not for everyone. But seriously - for this price you have to have it virtually. H+S top and the smell itself is also great. In my opinion, a clear "must-have"
Carrot Terreuse Noir
Or even the earthy carrot in black. My French is still from school days and even then it was not particularly cultivated. But it's still good enough for Encre Noir: black ink. Much-loved, much-discussed, and actually completely superfluous to give my opinion on it yet, right?

But, of course, just like in French class, I can't keep my mouth shut. Encre Noir smells to me fresh on the skin like carrots that have just been pulled out of the damp earth. Complete with greens and earthy residue, I hold the crunchy vegetable in my hand and sniff vigorously at the blend that hits my nose. Deep earth tones meet something tangy-juicy, This is then probably cypress and vetiverylacetat.

In the drydown, a gentle sweetness is added, the scent becomes deeper, woodier and I perceive more cypress. The sillage and perfomance of this fragrance are great, and not just for the highly praised price.

Around the fifth hour, I'm left with a deep, woody scent with a slight freshness and lots of vetiver that wraps itself around me in a flattering way and still radiates powerfully. '

That times as a halfway sober assessment. But how do I now actually find Encre Noir? Strange, different, great. Of course, the hype comes from somewhere, but I did not expect to wear the fragrance as gladly as I do. The earthy carrot note (I don't know where the association came from either), the depth of the scent, and the clean, warming progression caught me from the first second. First I was surprised by the unexpected top note, vetiveryl acetate was new to me as a fragrance note and I think this is where my carrot comes from. Then I was completely blown away by the cypress and the sweet bourbon vetiver. Encre Noir is really just as exciting and wonderfully unisex as it is described here
Ingenious mixture
As always, everything has already been said about the fragrance, positive as neagtiv. At the beginning, the cypress starts very dominant, which gives the whole thing something pungent, but also brings the necessary freshness. At first, the heart note of vetiver comes through, which takes the lead after about 1 to 2 hours and, together with musk and cashmere wood, turns the whole into a slightly balsamic, sweet-spicy woody experience on the skin. Definitely not a teenager fragrance, but a fragrance for confident, "striking" men, definitely with a sense of adventure. I also wear the fragrance on warm days when I feel like it, but not on blisteringly hot days. They always say fresh, citrusy scents on warm days, heavy, sweet scents on cooler days, but to me it's like art; once you understand the style, it's interesting to break it skillfully. The fragrance doesn't remind me in the least of Terre de Hermes, but rather of Cartier's Déclaration, only better, just a brilliant blend.
Jonny94
A journey to the centre of childhood
It's the year 2000, a not-too-cold, snowless January morning. My world is completely in order and I look forward to the day ahead of me. With my just 6 experienced Lenzen I move far away from any problems of this world.
My father has already packed the lunch bag and loaded all the tools onto the trailer.
It's not a bit hard for me to get out of bed. It takes me exactly 3 minutes to do my morning routine.
Let's go!
The ride from the outskirts of town to my destination takes less than half an hour.
The road gets bumpier and in no time we're in the middle of a forest, which briefly feels like we've arrived in a faraway fairy tale world.
No time to think, because I see Grandpa, Uncle and my two cousins are already there too.
(What a feeling, because I haven't seen them in ages)
The adults have a quick exchange about the day's activities and a short time later the first tree falls. Incredibly, what a sheer force so a piece of wood can have...
The long-awaited moment is getting closer and closer. My father takes me briefly to him, swears me in and gives me the last little briefing for what feels like the hundredth time.
But by now I have neither eyes nor ears for it. Now the time has finally come.
I hold a small axe in my hands for the first time in my life.
Meanwhile, it has begun to rain lightly.
Everything around me blurs and I feel like a professional.
Determined, I trudge towards the felled tree and begin to limb it...

As some have written before me, sooner or later every perfumo encounters Encre Noir and either hates it or loves it.
Also with me it is a blind purchase, which I do not regret. Especially not at a price of 25€/100ml.

To smell out and describe the fragrance notes of this perfume exactly, I simply lack the experience, although I can say that the fragrance smells exactly like the childhood memory that I tried to describe above:

Fresh, sawed-off wood with a hint of rain. The moisture seeping through the treetops gathers on the first ferns sprouting from the ground all around. A light smoky note joins in as the damp spruce branches are burned in a large pile and a dense column of white smoke drifts up through the treetops.

H/S are more than sufficient (easily 6-7 hours perceptible), especially since it is one of those perfumes that I actually wear 100% for my own pleasure and not to dust off compliments. (Honestly, I have so far also hardly get any for EN)

The bottle is heavy and bulky, but by its simplicity including the cap of wood, at the same time elegant. (100ml variant)

Conclusion: I am heavily enthusiastic. The fragrance has everything to describe him definitely not as a mainstream fragrance. And that is mMn exactly what makes this fragrance. Of course, as always, everyone should make up their own mind, because tastes are known to differ. EN lets me, whenever I want, wallow in one of my fondest childhood memories and I can say with very high probability that this bottle in the course of my life will certainly not be the last of its kind.

Walking Through Country Streets After A Downpour
Encre Noire is an authentic, elegant, and timeless cologne featuring three different varieties of vetiver root: Bourbon vetiver, Haitian vetiver, and Javanese vetiver. As the name suggests, the master perfumer carefully blended the vetiver used in these creations with other accords to take on an aroma similar to black ink. I must admit that the similarity is phenomenal. Initially, on the body and the clothes, the effect is mysterious, indecipherable, odd; notwithstanding, it amuses me. The scent is intoxicating, humid, woodsy if you let me. Here, the vetiver seemed not to be gift-wrapped as an elegant barbershop. There is a sort of fumy odor, which I surmise comes from Javanese Vetiver. The OG Encre Noire is the most simplistic and most pure of the three. The focus is on the vetiver which is earthy, damp yet cozy, and inviting. Can feel a bit empty in the opening given the absence of any sweetness or any citrus, but dry down is spectacular.

Its opening is a kind of pleasant fresh, woody, almost lemon-like, grassy, and boozy beginning that disappears quickly. Because it contains Vetiveryl acetate, distilled from Javanese vetiver, there is all the velvety character of the best vetiver, with a semi-dry touch, but without the harshness or smoky notes that can be found in natural oil. A pine tone comes from cypress wood, a distinctive note present in all variations of Encre Noire. I can describe the aroma of cypress as fresh, persistent, resinous, slightly smoky with a sweet, balsamic, woody undertone, which is very evocative of a forest environment and gives it a relaxing and refreshing aspect. Think of damp and dripping cypresses, which release a strong and humid smell mixed with sparkling vetiver and warm musk. The scent oozes sophistication and virility.

But, the original figure of Nathalie Lorson, whose fame has skyrocketed thanks to this masterpiece of hers, is that the heart is the beating center of the fragrance. It gives it the essence. Here comes the black heart, inked, with smoked Haitian vetiver and earthy Bourbon, alongside a dark woody accord. Bourbon vetiver stands out for its rooted, spicy, leathery, nutty aspects, with a slightly pinkish facet, while the essence of Haitian vetiver is smoky, woody, and a little green. It becomes a close skin scent in the middle stage that has a minimalist dark woody grassy smell after the alcohol and water on the skin have evaporated.

As it approaches the bottom, it projects dark ink, smoke, and modern furniture woods of exceptional quality. It is as if you are walking to an art exhibition or an art school. You smell materials like paper, paint, wood, charcoal, ink, and it somehow has an organic smell. A creamy cashmere wood blends with laundry moss to create a soft blanket that wraps around the skin. Encre Noire has a niche artistic character and is challenging to love, far from it. I like the well-designed heavy bottle with the black mahogany wood cap and the thick black glass.

If you like the smell of dark wood, charcoal, grass, and smoked vetiver straw, then it’s worth a try. Gloomy like few others, Encre Noire lends itself epically to those very rainy days. I feel rough vetiver, the resin, the ground, and also but more in the distance, the cypress. It does not evolve that much. It remains stable and nearly silent. I wouldn’t use it as an everyday perfume or on a warm and bright sunny day, but I would use it carefully for special evening and night occasions. Encre Noire does well in the colder months of the year during fall, winter, and spring. After a few hours of use, I noticed I could hardly smell it. But there was. I kept sniffing my pulse and enjoyed it. That said, I always get tons of compliments when I rock this little precious gem.

In conclusion, Encre Noire is a very good and special perfume, well made, damp, dark ground, but also of a unique seduction. I love the smell of dark wood, smoke, and lumber. Smoked vetiver is sublime. For me, it is an incredible masterpiece. For that price, it’s great. Performance is decent but not bad. Ardent at first but submits and becomes almost shy then. After a day, I still feel it very close to my skin. Encre Noire is not everyone’s friend. It is almost an existential fragrance. I keep this special piece and treasure it. I can understand the repugnance. But for those with an open mind and an out-of-the-box attitude towards distinct smells and unusual materials, it can be a very nice purchase. Encre Noir is an evocative perfume. You take it, and literally, it takes you with it. You don’t wear it; instead, it wears you. It draws you an outline inside which those around you will have to enter to get closer. I am not exaggerating when I say that this is one perfume with the best quality/price ratio that I have ever bought in my entire life, and believe me when I tell you I have been collecting perfumes for years and years.

I based the review on a 100ml bottle I have owned since Jan 2016 (Batch code 15g1113, 2015-07).

-Elysium

only 'dank' at first
glad i no longer get the mossy vibe, as i do like to wear this in the heat. once i discover a decent scent to layer on top... wouldnt recommend for beach trips, but for office, everyday its cool. 8 sprays (6 skin, 2 clothes) gets me 2.5 hrs soft projection in the heat & is good for 6-8 hrs overall.

Vetiver for everyone!
There's 3 Vetiver variations used in perfumery. Bourbon (the most high quality one, with green, woody and hazelnut aspects), Haitian (perhaps the most used and with more smoke nuances) and Javanese (a very woody and smoky variation). Nathalie Lorson picked Haitian and, allegedly, Bourbon, and created one of the most beautiful clean and woody vetivers around.

We all know that the most known Vetiver based scent is the 59 novel Vetiver by Guerlain. A great green vetiver with tobacco and some spices undertones and, overall, a crisp and natural feeling.

Lalique picked Nathalie Lorson and let her create a fresh woody fragrance with ink as a concept. Very interesting specially for 2006, when Sport flankers were a thing. She was able to put out a fantastic creation around vetiver.

The bitter green opening of cypress is fenomenal and immediately evokes wet soil in a forest. As it dries down, the vetiver takes control. It's very woody and slightly smoky. I would guess that is more haitian variation than Bourbon one.
The overall feeling is very fresh, woody and slightly smoky. I never became overpowering or offensive. It's very masculine, upscaled and office friendly and long lasting (!) thanks to the highly dose of Iso E Super (45% allegedly). The drydown shows a more subtle vetiver and a amped up Iso E super and Cashmere wood. Both give a modern woody trail with musky undertones.

The price for this one is excellent, specially online, as you all know. 100ml for less than 30€. Crazy!

If you love woody fragrances or want to smell a great woody Vetiver based scent, go buy yourself a bottle, please. If you love perfumery in general, this is a classic and a must have for Fragheads. Lalique could only have this beauty for sale and i would be OK with that. Just keep producing this gem, please!

4/5

MatuxMatux 1 month ago
Dark, rooty vetiver smoothed with Iso E Super. Almost the same as Chanel's Sycomore, however, quality differences lie in the basenotes.
Virginia93Virginia93 5 months ago
Melancholic perfume that I find absolutely unisex, beautiful and at a very cheap price. Got a 5ml decant, would consider the full bottle buy
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 5 months ago
In my brain it evokes memories of a coffin or the graveyard. Just very dark and earthy. definetly not for me
JnsnJnsn 6 months ago
just almost right. must discover something 'bright' to layer it under... i no longer get the 'face down in grassy mud' vibe
BehzadhzBehzadhz 6 months ago
HATE AND LOVE frag that somone says smells like heaven another says smells like death and hell
PedroCabralPedroCabral 6 months ago
It smells like death (in a good way), but at the same time, whoever uses it, becomes immortal. The touch of vetiver and ink is fantastic!
Finerthings8Finerthings8 8 months ago
If you don’t mind synthetic iso-e,it is one of nicest and cheapest vetiver scent around.Ofcourse sycamore is better but this will do the job
BertolucciKBertolucciK 10 months ago
Very spicy and green (cypress) opening. The drydown is an earthy/woody vetiver, dark, spicy, smoky and slightly boozy. Great fragrance.
NgarciaNgarcia 11 months ago
Someone that is expecting the well known amazing niche quality, with dark vibe and ink smell, should search in other place, but it's nice.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 12 months ago
Initially bright spicy-green, this rather dark and slightly boozy dry earthy-woody Mid season fragrance settles to a warm dusty woody base.

by Elysium
by Scottie
by Scottie
by JulieFä91
by JulieFä91
Humushügel - Grashalmsaft - Schlamm - Sumpf # farbreduziert # nebelfeucht # Kühlherbe Vetiverbrise trifft Tintentümpelwasserspiegel
by Seejungfrau
by Keppy
by Scuba
by Scuba

Popular Lalique

Lalique pour Homme Equus (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Encre Noire à L'Extrême by Lalique Ombre Noire by Lalique Encre Noire Sport by Lalique Noir Premier - Or Intemporel 1888 by Lalique Lalique Le Parfum (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Lion (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Perles de Lalique by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Lalique White (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Noir Premier - Fleur Universelle 1900 by Lalique Amethyst by Lalique Satine (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Noir Premier - Terres Aromatiques 1905 by Lalique Noir Premier - Illusion Captive 1898 by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme Voyageur by Lalique Les Compositions Parfumées - Zamak by Lalique Lalique (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Lion (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Les Compositions Parfumées - Oriental Zinc by Lalique