Encre Noire (2006)Eau de Toilette

Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique
Bottle Design Lalique

Top 64 in Men's Perfume
Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Lalique for men and was released in 2006. The scent is woody-earthy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Lalique Group / Art & Fragrance.

Nathalie Lorson

Top Notes Top NotesVetiveryl acetate, Cypress
Heart Notes Heart NotesBourbon vetiver, Haitian vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesCashmere wood, Musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 27.05.2020.

A real treasure
My second longer review is coming up :) I write by feeling from my perfume lover Herzen.

Now he stood at my first blind purchase !
The things I had read wow.. Cemetery... smells like death... church... Burial chamber... Musty...

All this aroused so much interest in me that I had to dare to do it. 100ml for almost 20 Euro ... if I would dare to buy blind then now! What a price !!! Can this probably go well!?

I've been wearing a lot of black afgano lately. Could throw it on me... I thought ok even with this scent there are many opinions like ... Rubber tires... disgusting... Headaches... i could never understand... so what's to knock me out!? If not 20 Euro I can cope with that doesn't hurt !

Now the package came, there he was! Fine cardboard box... Man what a block ... heavy bottle mystical ... totally noble ... the cap sat very tight ... everything totally well processed ... Great spray head! So if someone would tell me that this 100ml cost 20 Euro I would simply not believe it.

The first sprayer ! .. Mm... oh... Since I know few vetiver scents until now ... and recently I got tere d' Hermeś edt as a sample ... was my first thought ... Man this is similar! Vetiver... wow... great !! Nothing gothic... no burial chamber... no death ! All fears overboard... Man smells the noble! Sublime! Almost arrogant vainglory! Mystical... ...inaccessible...cold...even moss could be smelled...but in search of warmth...wow...that would be Severus Snape's signature fragrance!
But I also smelled a very strong synthetic...which for me, contrary to many comments, does not harmonize with green flowers, meadow and forest, but for me it is too synthetic ... I do not find a natural scent ... Does not mean that you can't wear it during a nice evening walk in the forest!

I imagine a black jeans ... a black corduroy jacket at the wearer Maybe a ring with a black stone ... a slightly rainy autumn day ... maybe even a melancholic day ... a day with many thoughts ... Memories ...some melancholy ...

Since it is the year 2020 and today you can smell almost every perfume on job day ..you can wear it on the job.
if I said it was a typical office smell!? No! It's not a slick Prada l'homme!

This fragrance does not want to please everyone ... it does not want to smell of freshly washed laundry ... it wants to show what it can do ! How long it lasts ! What power it has ! The wearer of Encre Noir stands above wearing "the right" fragrance for just the "right" situation ... he stands above and wears what he likes and likes ! :)

Conclusion: a class mystical dark vetiver scent with hammer performance and durability ! The with would like to be carried:)

Ps: Everyone takes scents differently but was . "Death" "Burial Chamber" "Decomposition" doesn't even do it justice! This is the first time I have to defend a scent :D excuse me ! The first time I can understand associations to a perfume zero. Pity:/ but of course everyone's opinion!
Eisbaer
With Mozart in the billiard room and with Scrooge in the bedroom
"Encre Noire" is one of those blind purchases for which I am extremely grateful. Every person and especially every perfume wears its fragrances for very personal reasons. Everyday scents for the office, cuddly scents for the romantic evening or so-called clubbing scents for the loud party weekend. I wear most of my fragrances for myself, to be able to travel in time and pictures. I love it when fragrances can create images in my head and transport me to another place. I have been following the comments and statements on Lalique's "Encre Noire" on Parfumo for a very long time and was more and more curious about the fragrance with every entry until I couldn't stand it anymore and finally bought it in a 100ml bottle - without having tried it out beforehand. The best thing to remember is that a new love of fragrance can arise - but it can also be a huge pain in the ass. Therefore I would not necessarily recommend my approach. Because I admit that this black gold is anything but commonplace.

The bottle is cube-shaped and, at least in the 100ml version, also very massive and heavy. What I especially like is its simplicity - completely in black, "ENCRE NOIRE" is written in a type similar to railway lettering on the front and apart from the usual lettering on the bottom of the bottle there is no text at all. The black cap in a wooden décor completes the overall picture. The outer appearance is exactly to my taste, especially as I think it matches the contents perfectly. As many have already written, "Encre Noire" means "black ink", which is why the bottle was designed as an inkwell.

And the scent itself? Wood and earth, as a very short version, is absolutely correct. I do not smell moss, no green or "woody" components. I smell above all old, heavy wood - and yes, also a little ink. Some years ago, out of sheer joy, I often wrote texts in black ink with a quill pen - I cannot deny an olfactory similarity. Also, as a trained librarian, the smell of old books is not foreign to me, which I can also detect in "Encre Noire". Last but not least I feel a little bit reminded of Polaroid photos. Whenever I open our old photo album, I notice a similar smell. Unlike all the other woody scents I have tested and/or owned, "Encre Noire" contains no sweetness at all. On the contrary - it is exactly what I would describe as woody and spicy.

My impression about the fragrance: I love it very much. I definitely agree with the opinion that it would not necessarily (!) be something for the office or for going out. It is not for nothing that the question "Who wants to smell like this?" has come up several times here. The attempt of an answer: I want to smell like this - to wrap myself in this pleasant pure wood scent, which takes me into another world. At the peak of his career, the Salzburg composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart had an annual income of around 10,000 guilders, which would be around 125,000 euros today. His apartment in Vienna had its own billiard room; comparable to today, that would be a garage with a Ferrari in it. When I smell "Encre Noire", I see myself standing in the middle of this room, looking over Mozart's shoulder, watching him drink wine and compose one piece after another by candlelight. The many heavy wooden pieces of furniture, the countless books scattered on shelves and all over the room and, of course, the inkwell in which he repeatedly dips his pen - for me, that is "Encre Noire" in figurative terms.

Of course it does not necessarily have to be based on Mozart alone. We are also happy to include the Parisian domiciles of Frédéric Chopin. The apartment of the Brothers Grimm in Kassel. The bedroom of Ebenezer Scrooge. I could very well imagine that in the 18th and 19th centuries almost all buildings smelled like this. They have fascinated me since my childhood days. How I love to visit castles, palaces, old archives and libraries. Buildings can tell so many exciting stories. With "Encre Noire", Lalique has succeeded in creating a fragrance that takes me on a journey into other times. This is exactly why I love perfume.

If Lalique "Encre Noire" were music:

"Ave Verum Corpus" (KV 618) by W.A. Mozart
"Lacrimosa" (from III. sequence Requiem) by W.A. Mozart
"Nocturne Op. 15, No. 2 in F sharp major" by Frédéric Chopin
Cngz95
Rich in contrast like no other
In photography, one speaks of high contrast when particularly bright areas (light) and particularly dark areas (shadow) meet. The darker and brighter the components that meet, the higher the contrast.

When I received a sample of Encre Noir from the souk, I decided to do the test with my partner. I've already read various things about this fragrance and I'm already "forewarned", but she didn't know anything about it.

Couple of sprayers on the test sticks, gently put your nose on them and... ...and lo and behold, I love it! No body odor, no animosity, no hatred. Full of anticipation I held it out to my girlfriend: "Smell this, it's really good"
What happened then I could not understand. She described the perfume as smelly, angular and repulsive. When I tried to give it to her a second time to smell it, she refused. "Baaah, take that away from me".

It is a mystery to me that tastes can actually be SO different. Since it is important to me how my partner smells me, I will probably not buy it, although I like it very much.

What a shame!

Darkness
Ok, I admit it, it's not a work of art, nor a house born to make perfumes, but ... I like it.
Lalique, famous for its jewels, engages in the world of perfumes and does it very well. Let's start from the bottle, very attractive, dark glass and wood effect cap, a lot of class in this package.
The perfume as said is not complex, three four predominant notes but they do their duty.Open with a very dark and pungent note, accompanied by cashmere and very vetiver, it seems almost a flaker of the guerlain vetiver dark version but attention, we are far from the quality and the evolution of the latter. So a very dark vetiver, seems to cross a forest in dim light after a storm, ideal in autumn and cool months. It remains very moist and gently sticks to the skin. Longevity and projection of painful notes but for a perfume under 30 euros what did you expect?

rating 8/ 10
Oh, no...
It was a cheap blind purchase and I thought that I should like it based on the ingredients listed. Hommage a l'homme Voyageur by Lalique is one of my favourite fragrances, as it is very woody, spicy and slightly vanilla. But I can't do anything with Encre Noir. Right from the start, I have a cinnamony-vetiver note all over my skin, which is not comparable to other vetiver scents a la Guerlain. Ink? No! Cashmere wood? No! Actually, I also like slightly musty or medicinal scents, but even this direction is far away. I even notice a slight nausea... there's only one thing to do: wash it off quickly and give it away!
Six Feet Under // Old school merchant
Hello everyone,

so I would not apply this fragrance SAFELY on the first date at the Italian in Düsseldorf for the lady of the heart, or so that evening on the mile go but this fragrance has its own occasions, guys who can wear it can with the price/performance ratio even possess should.

I have admittedly read some reviews here and in the well-known Youtubern to Encre Noir and noticed immediately the POLARISED but sometimes really.

From toothache to death or 300€ CEO niche fragrance, the critics have it all.

I personally try to answer as objectively as possible subjectively (oh dear) and feel Him as follows.
I like to wear Encre Noir to the office. It is not obtrusive but unique, mature and for me it embodies in the fragrance DNA seriousness, consistency and experience. I have already been spoken to positively by many a person in the elevator when I was wearing a black suit/coat. Especially my superiors felt it as very good and wanted to know what kind of HAMMER PART I would have bought here again...
I am aware that the fragrance is certainly not a compliment monster in the ladies or party world, but there I am also a completely different person than in the professional everyday life or? I personally do not go to the office to beguile my colleagues or employees but to offer them professionalism and distance.

I can imagine the scent extremely well with conservative professions like (it must be now) undertaker, priest, lawyer or merchant in a classic area very well. To creative or "modern" settings would also find it rather unsuitable.

Personally, I am always happy when I as a person with a dark own fragrance DNA do not always have to spend 200€+ and buy the classics that sit safely but then I can get similar returns for little money. This is definitely the case with Encre Noir.

I own few fragrances with such brutal durability and such a positive price performance gap.

If you only want to buy one fragrance as an all-rounder for all occasions or generally prefer sweet or powdery fragrances, you can save the 30-40 euros. All others should think about a conservative investment ;)

Encre Noir is not a complimentary beast, but the man who wears it has not needed it for a long time
Volker1964
Dark Knight of scents... Forest walk after rain ... special and very good ... for me...
Ordered on the Internet, eau de toilette, 100ml, approx. 30 euros. Reasonable price. Quality ? What is it good for me ? To the scent...
Flacon:
Square, practical and good. Spray head lid held in wooden look.
Top note:
In the beginning you have vetiver and I also smell a wood note. The scent is heavy and intense. There is a subtle spicy note in the background. Slightly animalic.
Heart note:
Vetiver dominates here clearly, remains pleasant. The fragrance becomes somewhat drier and spicier. A little bit of earth, pleasantly integrated. Wood notes are already clearly present here.
Base:
Now the wood comes through, accompanied by musk. The wood is slightly smoky and dry. Musk, more subtle, creates a nice balance to the wood. The scent becomes more discreet and is pleasant and remains pleasant until the end.
Conclusion:
A fragrance not like umpteen others, already special, in a positive sense. It is relatively heavy, woody, spicy, somewhat animal with oriental touches. This fragrance is a dark knight among fragrances. For me rather something on cooler days in my free time. Could be too special for the office. Lasts 6-8 hours for me. I have a colleague who likes this scent a lot and also wears it herself from time to time. Why not?
SchnüFFleRR
If the smell were a sensation, it would be toothache...
The following words are based on my subjective opinion and should not attack anyone who thinks the fragrance is good:

Heard about the fragrance through many reviews and ordered it blindly. Already the one or other time I was wrong but with the scent I had undercut myself again. The shelf life is good, which I can tell by the fact that even after 15 minutes of scrubbing and several sprays of Dior Homme internal the stuff still smelled. I don't even know exactly what it is that bothers me so much about the smell? Jeremy Fragrance once said the smell of death. I can sign that now. At the time, I thought he meant it in a cool way, but I know better now. If the smell were a sensation, I would most likely compare it to a toothache. Our grandma used to make us chew cloves and herbs when we had a toothache. The spat out leftovers smelled very similar in my memory. Maybe this is all very subjective, but with this scent I can't imagine with the best will in the world that someone really wears it and finds the scent pleasant. I also wonder on what occasion people wear the scent (except at funerals). Of course I tested it a few more times to be able to write a really well-founded recession, but it didn't get any better in my opinion.

People but seriously... try to test it and don't make the same mistake as many others who bought this fragrance. It is very special and maybe one in a hundred will like it.
No hate to those who celebrate the scent, but I'm out of there
The Teleporter
2003,July,Westport in Ireland, 17 degrees Celsius.

After hours of driving with the greyhound-bus across Ireland from Dublin to westport through the Irish hinterland, me and my two best friends of that time finally arrive. We get off the bus and immediately smell: the sea is not far away...

After we moved into our quarters we went to explore the area and ended up in a small forest.
It smells of moss, old wood and the rain does not know if it wants to be rain or fog. This is how I imagined Ireland and this is how it was good.

2015, September, near Cologne, maybe 20 degrees. I hold my pretty much first blind purchase encre noir in my hand and spray.
Right now he's teleporting me to westport from back then. I'm back in this grove. It is mossy, herbaceous, woody and musty. It's good. I want a Guinness. I want to go back. Forever
JamesBlond
The neat BigFoot wears Encre Noir!
all day long he strolls clumsily through the coniferous dominated German forests in search of food, a woman BigFoot and the mystical people of whom the forest inhabitants claim to be furless monsters who attack their mushrooms in packs.
When he strolls through the branches, with his dew-soaked fur, there is always something of nature in it. Mostly it is resins, some moss and now and then some wild herbs. On the soles of his feet the warm, but always moist earth collects which was only rarely allowed to see the light of the sun and if so, only in winter. The branches of the bushes, which often bear under his weight, reveal their fresh, smooth, almost juicy wood and Paul gets hungry again.
Paul BigFoot, that's the name of the hairy, almost 30 year old protagonist of this little story here, thinks that he smells wonderful. His grooming takes almost the whole morning, but he doesn't mind, because every time he combs his coat, the familiar scent of his beloved home rises in his nose and he gets a tingling sensation. He will also set off again tomorrow, through the dense forests, almost untouched nature far from the city and its strangely flesh-coloured monsters. They would not understand each other... because you smell different than him and so everybody stays for himself and feels good, end of story!
Well, if you couldn't read what Encre Noir is all about, in summary, nature lovers will surely appreciate it and always find a reason to wear it while the soapy cleaners don't know when to wear it. To anyone who likes the direction, but the fragrance is still too herbaceous and distinctive, I can only recommend Bottega Veneta. He is suitable for the city and even the other monsters in suits and gelled hair like him quite well.
For me, Encre Noir takes a step further into nature and is neither too smoky nor too earthy.
It seems to me almost like a light summer scent that only its unbelievably spicy echo in the cinema would be completely out of place, but I like to go out, into the woods or to the water and from now on I always feel a little closer to nature than usual.
Unfortunately I am not unanimous with the durability stated here. I'll be off in five or six hours.
Can be tolerated, but in view of the spot price.

DPArtistDPArtist 20 days ago
Stern & thought-provoking. A linear scent which seems simple yet conjures so much, an inky engraving studio, an upturned log, a grey sky...
TaberneroTabernero 36 days ago
One of the best perfumes value for money. A melancholic fragrance. Remember a rainy day lost in a lush forest. Vetiver, wet land, rain.
OmardoOmardo 84 days ago
Beautiful
it's strong but also smooth, wife liked it
Similar to chanel sycomore, which is sweeter, even better, but much more expensive.
MillanderMillander 127 days ago
This one (with wooden lid), Red Vetyver and Terre EDT is the best masculine vetiver I can stand but only in winter.
FranknSenseFranknSense 141 days ago
The more I wear it the more I like it. This earthy dark vetiver fragrance is a precious gem.
Amazon1975Amazon1975 7 months ago
My signature scent. Unbelievable. So beautiful.
KimJongKimJong 8 months ago
Dark, tidy, calm, intelligent.
Hoban27Hoban27 11 months ago
Classy , well blended earthy woody Vetiver, a legend but performance not like how it used to be specially in sillage & projection.
MihaiuMihaiu 14 months ago
Earthy vetiver, inky, bit incensy cypress.Dark&bright at the same time.Elegant, sophisticated even if it seems simple. Forest under the moon
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 21 months ago
As dark green as you can get! Love it

by Elysium
by Keppy
by Scuba
by Scuba

Popular Lalique

Lalique pour Homme Equus (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Encre Noire à L'Extrême by Lalique Ombre Noire by Lalique Encre Noire Sport by Lalique Lalique Le Parfum (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Noir Premier - Or Intemporel 1888 by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Lion (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Lalique White (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Perles de Lalique by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Noir Premier - Fleur Universelle 1900 by Lalique Amethyst by Lalique Noir Premier - Illusion Captive 1898 by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme Voyageur by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Equus (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Satine (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Encre Noire pour Elle by Lalique Lalique (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Lion (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Les Compositions Parfumées - Zamak by Lalique