Encre Noire 2006 Eau de Toilette

Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique
Bottle Design Lalique
Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Lalique for men and was released in 2006. The scent is woody-earthy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Lalique Group / Art & Fragrance. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

Nathalie Lorson

Top Notes Top NotesVetiveryl acetateVetiveryl acetate
CypressCypress
Heart Notes Heart NotesBourbon vetiverBourbon vetiver
Haitian vetiverHaitian vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesCashmere woodCashmere wood
MuskMusk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 30.07.2021.

Jonny94
A journey to the centre of childhood
It's the year 2000, a not-too-cold, snowless January morning. My world is completely in order and I look forward to the day ahead of me. With my just 6 experienced Lenzen I move far away from any problems of this world.
My father has already packed the lunch bag and loaded all the tools onto the trailer.
It's not a bit hard for me to get out of bed. It takes me exactly 3 minutes to do my morning routine.
Let's go!
The ride from the outskirts of town to my destination takes less than half an hour.
The road gets bumpier and in no time we're in the middle of a forest, which briefly feels like we've arrived in a faraway fairy tale world.
No time to think, because I see Grandpa, Uncle and my two cousins are already there too.
(What a feeling, because I haven't seen them in ages)
The adults have a quick exchange about the day's activities and a short time later the first tree falls. Incredibly, what a sheer force so a piece of wood can have...
The long-awaited moment is getting closer and closer. My father takes me briefly to him, swears me in and gives me the last little briefing for what feels like the hundredth time.
But by now I have neither eyes nor ears for it. Now the time has finally come.
I hold a small axe in my hands for the first time in my life.
Meanwhile, it has begun to rain lightly.
Everything around me blurs and I feel like a professional.
Determined, I trudge towards the felled tree and begin to limb it...

As some have written before me, sooner or later every perfumo encounters Encre Noir and either hates it or loves it.
Also with me it is a blind purchase, which I do not regret. Especially not at a price of 25€/100ml.

To smell out and describe the fragrance notes of this perfume exactly, I simply lack the experience, although I can say that the fragrance smells exactly like the childhood memory that I tried to describe above:

Fresh, sawed-off wood with a hint of rain. The moisture seeping through the treetops gathers on the first ferns sprouting from the ground all around. A light smoky note joins in as the damp spruce branches are burned in a large pile and a dense column of white smoke drifts up through the treetops.

H/S are more than sufficient (easily 6-7 hours perceptible), especially since it is one of those perfumes that I actually wear 100% for my own pleasure and not to dust off compliments. (Honestly, I have so far also hardly get any for EN)

The bottle is heavy and bulky, but by its simplicity including the cap of wood, at the same time elegant. (100ml variant)

Conclusion: I am heavily enthusiastic. The fragrance has everything to describe him definitely not as a mainstream fragrance. And that is mMn exactly what makes this fragrance. Of course, as always, everyone should make up their own mind, because tastes are known to differ. EN lets me, whenever I want, wallow in one of my fondest childhood memories and I can say with very high probability that this bottle in the course of my life will certainly not be the last of its kind.

Walking Through Country Streets After A Downpour
Encre Noire is an authentic, elegant, and timeless cologne featuring three different varieties of vetiver root: Bourbon vetiver, Haitian vetiver, and Javanese vetiver. As the name suggests, the master perfumer carefully blended the vetiver used in these creations with other accords to take on an aroma similar to black ink. I must admit that the similarity is phenomenal. Initially, on the body and the clothes, the effect is mysterious, indecipherable, odd; notwithstanding, it amuses me. The scent is intoxicating, humid, woodsy if you let me. Here, the vetiver seemed not to be gift-wrapped as an elegant barbershop. There is a sort of fumy odor, which I surmise comes from Javanese Vetiver. The OG Encre Noire is the most simplistic and most pure of the three. The focus is on the vetiver which is earthy, damp yet cozy, and inviting. Can feel a bit empty in the opening given the absence of any sweetness or any citrus, but dry down is spectacular.

Its opening is a kind of pleasant fresh, woody, almost lemon-like, grassy, and boozy beginning that disappears quickly. Because it contains Vetiveryl acetate, distilled from Javanese vetiver, there is all the velvety character of the best vetiver, with a semi-dry touch, but without the harshness or smoky notes that can be found in natural oil. A pine tone comes from cypress wood, a distinctive note present in all variations of Encre Noire. I can describe the aroma of cypress as fresh, persistent, resinous, slightly smoky with a sweet, balsamic, woody undertone, which is very evocative of a forest environment and gives it a relaxing and refreshing aspect. Think of damp and dripping cypresses, which release a strong and humid smell mixed with sparkling vetiver and warm musk. The scent oozes sophistication and virility.

But, the original figure of Nathalie Lorson, whose fame has skyrocketed thanks to this masterpiece of hers, is that the heart is the beating center of the fragrance. It gives it the essence. Here comes the black heart, inked, with smoked Haitian vetiver and earthy Bourbon, alongside a dark woody accord. Bourbon vetiver stands out for its rooted, spicy, leathery, nutty aspects, with a slightly pinkish facet, while the essence of Haitian vetiver is smoky, woody, and a little green. It becomes a close skin scent in the middle stage that has a minimalist dark woody grassy smell after the alcohol and water on the skin have evaporated.

As it approaches the bottom, it projects dark ink, smoke, and modern furniture woods of exceptional quality. It is as if you are walking to an art exhibition or an art school. You smell materials like paper, paint, wood, charcoal, ink, and it somehow has an organic smell. A creamy cashmere wood blends with laundry moss to create a soft blanket that wraps around the skin. Encre Noire has a niche artistic character and is challenging to love, far from it. I like the well-designed heavy bottle with the black mahogany wood cap and the thick black glass.

If you like the smell of dark wood, charcoal, grass, and smoked vetiver straw, then it’s worth a try. Gloomy like few others, Encre Noire lends itself epically to those very rainy days. I feel rough vetiver, the resin, the ground, and also but more in the distance, the cypress. It does not evolve that much. It remains stable and nearly silent. I wouldn’t use it as an everyday perfume or on a warm and bright sunny day, but I would use it carefully for special evening and night occasions. Encre Noire does well in the colder months of the year during fall, winter, and spring. After a few hours of use, I noticed I could hardly smell it. But there was. I kept sniffing my pulse and enjoyed it. That said, I always get tons of compliments when I rock this little precious gem.

In conclusion, Encre Noire is a very good and special perfume, well made, damp, dark ground, but also of a unique seduction. I love the smell of dark wood, smoke, and lumber. Smoked vetiver is sublime. For me, it is an incredible masterpiece. For that price, it’s great. Performance is decent but not bad. Ardent at first but submits and becomes almost shy then. After a day, I still feel it very close to my skin. Encre Noire is not everyone’s friend. It is almost an existential fragrance. I keep this special piece and treasure it. I can understand the repugnance. But for those with an open mind and an out-of-the-box attitude towards distinct smells and unusual materials, it can be a very nice purchase. Encre Noir is an evocative perfume. You take it, and literally, it takes you with it. You don’t wear it; instead, it wears you. It draws you an outline inside which those around you will have to enter to get closer. I am not exaggerating when I say that this is one perfume with the best quality/price ratio that I have ever bought in my entire life, and believe me when I tell you I have been collecting perfumes for years and years.

I based the review on a 100ml bottle I have owned since Jan 2016 (Batch code 15g1113, 2015-07).

-Elysium

only 'dank' at first
glad i no longer get the mossy vibe, as i do like to wear this in the heat. once i discover a decent scent to layer on top... wouldnt recommend for beach trips, but for office, everyday its cool. 8 sprays (6 skin, 2 clothes) gets me 2.5 hrs soft projection in the heat & is good for 6-8 hrs overall.

Vetiver for everyone!
There's 3 Vetiver variations used in perfumery. Bourbon (the most high quality one, with green, woody and hazelnut aspects), Haitian (perhaps the most used and with more smoke nuances) and Javanese (a very woody and smoky variation). Nathalie Lorson picked Haitian and, allegedly, Bourbon, and created one of the most beautiful clean and woody vetivers around.

We all know that the most known Vetiver based scent is the 59 novel Vetiver by Guerlain. A great green vetiver with tobacco and some spices undertones and, overall, a crisp and natural feeling.

Lalique picked Nathalie Lorson and let her create a fresh woody fragrance with ink as a concept. Very interesting specially for 2006, when Sport flankers were a thing. She was able to put out a fantastic creation around vetiver.

The bitter green opening of cypress is fenomenal and immediately evokes wet soil in a forest. As it dries down, the vetiver takes control. It's very woody and slightly smoky. I would guess that is more haitian variation than Bourbon one.
The overall feeling is very fresh, woody and slightly smoky. I never became overpowering or offensive. It's very masculine, upscaled and office friendly and long lasting (!) thanks to the highly dose of Iso E Super (45% allegedly). The drydown shows a more subtle vetiver and a amped up Iso E super and Cashmere wood. Both give a modern woody trail with musky undertones.

The price for this one is excellent, specially online, as you all know. 100ml for less than 30€. Crazy!

If you love woody fragrances or want to smell a great woody Vetiver based scent, go buy yourself a bottle, please. If you love perfumery in general, this is a classic and a must have for Fragheads. Lalique could only have this beauty for sale and i would be OK with that. Just keep producing this gem, please!

4/5
Bestscent
It's summer and I'm standing in the woods
It is summer, I walk from the parking lot into the forest. The scent of trees, moss and nature comes towards me. Now it's just trees, resinous trees, but somehow also fresh resinous trees. It's 40 degrees and it's dust dry...
Horny, woody, dry. Does not fit everyone!

Dark Vétiver
Think of a classy perfume. I find this perfume sensational and is among my favorites. It has a very linear evolution and with few changes. It starts by smelling cypress wood and vetiver, and I feel it throughout evolution. In general I feel something like spiced wood. Its wood smell is very intense. I do not advise blind in this perfume, I suggest buying a decant and try it a few times, enjoy its aroma.

It is not a youthful scent and does not combine combining shorts. It is a very masculine perfume, very good for special occasions and when you want to impress. It refers to a successful class man. I imagine a man over 30 years old, dressed in sport-chic or social.

Think of the occasions or environments that you would dress that way. These are the best times to use this perfume: important meetings, dinners, ceremonies, etc. Excellent fixation and moderate projection. It is a scent that is striking enough to be noticed, and at the same time it is not invasive, it does not harm the smell of others.

I use it in all seasons of the year, without problems, preferably at night. But you can use it during the day, on more special occasions. Does not match beach and pool. It is not a refreshing perfume, but it is also not hot. It's really wood.
Wicked weak scent
Jeremy Fragrance said in the review, Encre Noire smells evil, A fragrance for a bad guy.
Therefore, I bought Encre Noire blind on Douglas.ch.
The fragrance itself is earthy and has what evil. But unfortunately much too weak. Unfortunately, no Beastmode. Have him after 30 min no longer perceived

Sorry, but..
Not a beast for me. Received it recently, newer batch, not quite what I've heard.
Decent softly sillage and it barely reached the 7th hour mark. Tested multiple times.
The smell is nice, I cannot lie but also not the most gorgeous perfume that I've put my nose on. Very woody, masculine and quite refined for the price. In combination with the vetiver it creates a nice combo but not a killer one. I see it as a mature scent that you can surprise your elders with. Give it a try, it might suit your tastes.

Overall : 7/10

Dark Fresh Green Woods
Sought a decant after enjoying both the Sport and extreme versions. It's an amazing scent, opening with green grass and turning more into dusty, dirty roots after the top notes recede. It's pretty fresh and dry to to my nose but dark at the same time. I don't get the damp ink impression that most people smell. I'm probably nose blind to ISO-e super because my colleagues can smell me even hours after I spray it. Two to 3 sprays at most because the dryness can irritate my nose. Projection is moderate compared to other scents.

EN vs ENS: ENS is the same scent as Encre noire but brighter with the citrus. After a few hours they smell the same

EN ve Extreme: Extreme is waaay richer in scent with the incense and patchouli in the background. Sillage and projection is the same. Extreme felt too sweet for me when compared to ENS, but I enjoyed the nuances of the scent when compared to EN. Surprisingly I prefer the original.

Versatility: ENS > EN > Extreme (ENS is perfect for daytime, EN is darker but can be interchanged with ENS, Extreme is perfect when you're well dressed)
Projection, sillage, longetivity: feels the same to me for all three.

Conclusion: It's a perfect scent for me. Fresh, dark and dry at the same time. I'll definitely get a bottle to complete the whole set.
Unsuess
Somewhere between extra dry and dust dry
Always interesting how different but the scent perception is: For me, this is pretty much the driest fragrance I know. This fragrance is for me somewhere between extra dry and dusty dry. It almost makes me thirsty. If I put it on right after a shower, I don't have to dry myself off. If I smell it too long, then I need nasal spray afterwards, because my nasal mucosa is dried out.
So drier is hard for me to imagine, and it will always remain a mystery to me how you can smell damp, musty earth or the like here.

Virginia93Virginia93 3 months ago
Melancholic perfume that I find absolutely unisex, beautiful and at a very cheap price. Got a 5ml decant, would consider the full bottle buy
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 3 months ago
In my brain it evokes memories of a coffin or the graveyard. Just very dark and earthy. definetly not for me
JnsnJnsn 3 months ago
just almost right. must discover something 'bright' to layer it under... i no longer get the 'face down in grassy mud' vibe
BehzadhzBehzadhz 3 months ago
HATE AND LOVE frag that somone says smells like heaven another says smells like death and hell
PedroCabralPedroCabral 3 months ago
It smells like death (in a good way), but at the same time, whoever uses it, becomes immortal. The touch of vetiver and ink is fantastic!
Finerthings8Finerthings8 5 months ago
If you don’t mind synthetic iso-e,it is one of nicest and cheapest vetiver scent around.Ofcourse sycamore is better but this will do the job
BertolucciKBertolucciK 7 months ago
Very spicy and green (cypress) opening. The drydown is an earthy/woody vetiver, dark, spicy, smoky and slightly boozy. Great fragrance.
NgarciaNgarcia 9 months ago
Someone that is expecting the well known amazing niche quality, with dark vibe and ink smell, should search in other place, but it's nice.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 10 months ago
Initially bright spicy-green, this rather dark and slightly boozy dry earthy-woody Mid season fragrance settles to a warm dusty woody base.
GreMuserGreMuser 10 months ago
Vetiver masterpiece. Dark, dirty, and somehow gothic. Not for everyone, more masculine but a strong woman could easily wear it.

by Elysium
by Scottie
by Scottie
by JulieFä91
by JulieFä91
Humushügel - Grashalmsaft - Schlamm - Sumpf # farbreduziert # nebelfeucht # Kühlherbe Vetiverbrise trifft Tintentümpelwasserspiegel
by Seejungfrau
by Keppy
by Scuba
by Scuba

Popular Lalique

Lalique pour Homme Equus (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Encre Noire à L'Extrême by Lalique Ombre Noire by Lalique Encre Noire Sport by Lalique Noir Premier - Or Intemporel 1888 by Lalique Lalique Le Parfum (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Lion (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Perles de Lalique by Lalique Lalique White (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Amethyst by Lalique Noir Premier - Fleur Universelle 1900 by Lalique Noir Premier - Illusion Captive 1898 by Lalique Satine (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Noir Premier - Terres Aromatiques 1905 by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme Voyageur by Lalique Lalique (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Equus (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Les Compositions Parfumées - Zamak by Lalique Les Compositions Parfumées - Oriental Zinc by Lalique