Encre Noire pour Elle 2009

Encre Noire pour Elle by Lalique
Encre Noire pour Elle is a perfume by Lalique for women and was released in 2009. The scent is floral-powdery. It was last marketed by Lalique Group / Art & Fragrance. Pronunciation

Christine Nagel

Top Notes Top NotesAmbrette, Bergamot, Freesia
Heart Notes Heart NotesKephalis, Osmanthus, Sunflower, Turkish rose
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver, White musk, Cedarwood

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 18.09.2020.

Rest in peace.
Anno 2009:
"Hello, Marketing Department here! Encre Noire is doing well, make one for the ladies!"
"What? Ideas are straight from..."
"Never mind, anything goes with roses!"

When I first asked for "Encre Noire" a felt eternity ago (OK, about 5 years ago), I was told, despite repeated assurances from my side that I really wanted to test the men's version, that this one is on. Or rather: I was attacked with it.
Everything from Lalique was deposited behind the counter inaccessible, and the saleswoman stubbornly refused to spray me with Encre Noire, because it "does not go on women's skin at all" and I "certainly don't want it and just mixed it up". In the course of the discussion, suddenly, without warning, a cloud of Encre Noire Pour Elle landed on my arm.

Well, it's actually not such a subterranean bad smell, but it's not even remotely similar to the original version I was looking forward to all the time, and character and style are completely different EN is (needle)woody, but also earthy, smoky, and so extreme that it seems almost abstract. But only almost. Nathalie Lorson is responsible for some of my favourite scents and I think she has a recognizable style that runs through all scents. Amethyst and Sunlight Lumiere also have this certain amount of detail (but not too much), and a kind of symmetry/asymmetry.

EN pour elle is by Christine Nagel and smells to me like a pastel pink fabric softener with some rose soap (the one from Kattus has a certain similarity, the mild detergent from Domol even more). That's probably OK if you want rose fabric softener - otherwise I just find it meaningless. I would have preferred it to be repulsive, but interesting. Or at least characteristic in a certain direction, with recognition value. A certain sharpness or freshness would have been good for the fragrance in my opinion, this kind of fabric softener musk otherwise only seems flat or oppressive, and the rose itself is anything but angular.

No comparison at all to the men's fragrance - as if no one would have bothered more with the "Flanker" because it's bought anyway (otherwise it's usually the other way around, and I feel a little sorry for the gentlemen who are thrown the umpteenth boring "for men" or "pour homme" version with every new women's fragrance).
And that's actually what annoys me the most. Not that Lalique is launching the 10000000000th rose scent on the market, but that as a customer you are being taken for a fool. (of course you could go a long way to Black Opium and Poison Girl, but I'd rather not do that).
Besides, the original scent would easily go into unisex. Chanel's Sycomore, which is quite similar, is supposed to be for ladies after all.

If the fragrance had a different name and was marketed as a lovely rose scent in a tea service porcelain bottle (and in those old lacquered tin cans with the flower girls instead of in a box :P ), I might be able to find an access to it, albeit a completely different one (Gucci would probably have been able to do that). But that's how it is: sit, 6, theme missed.

Yeah yeah, I know, it's all been written 100 times, but not by everyone ;)

Every time I see it on someone in the collection, I am reminded of the experience in the shop and I get a little jerked up inside. In the wild, I probably wouldn't recognize him at all because he is so ordinary.
Later, since the two fragrances were also available in the village, I tested it a few more times to see if it still convinced me or if my memory was distorted somehow, but my nose never got further than "rose softener". I certainly don't smell more vetiver here. That's why I spare you all imaginary scent pyramids.

The text here was written in an original, rudimentary version over two years ago, and my impression has not changed.
By the way: There are some really well scented everyday products (as I learned here at Parfumo, there must be a lot of toilet stones among them), but this kind of rose scent is not one of them in my opinion. It's just sucked out, over.
Perhaps there are some rose fabric softener fans who find their favourite fragrance perfectly embodied in this very fragrance. I'd rather buy the Rose Deodorant from Fa instead
In fairness, at least nothing stinks here. Actually something should always stink after such an attack on my olfactory self-determination, but it doesn't. I can't hate the smell or find it disgusting, just boring. So I'm not surprised that it was discontinued, as it happens with most flankers after a few years.

First impression
My first impression of Encre Noire Pour Elle: To my nose this perfume consists of approximately 40% rose, 30% musk, 20% vetiver and 10% other things. It has a 'serious' rose, but not a funeral rose, that is smoothed by pleasant musky notes. The smoothness reminds me of the smooth base in Jour d'Hermès and Voyage. The musky notes make it more feminine, but a guy can wear this fragrance.

Perhaps the best reason to read these reviews is to find out more about the vetiver. It is not like Guerlain's or Tom Ford's. But I smell the vetiver from Encre Noire Pour Homme, a relatively warm vetiver. Encre Noire Pour Elle has this vetiver in moderate-to-small amounts.

In the heart, a fruity osmanthus peeks out a little, making the composition more interesting. Summarized: Take, for example, one of the musky rose scents from Narciso Rodriguez. Well, Encre Noire Pour Elle is the more interesting, prettier sister of the Rodriguez perfume. Looking for a rose? Try this one.

Encre Noire Pour Elle
This is an absolute chiaroscuro masterpiece of scent. It brings to mind the whole of Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, or Rembrandt’s1667 painting “The Jewish Bride,” or Gerrit van Honthorst’s 1625 painting “The Matchmaker,” as it blooms on my skin. On my skin, it is a magnificently balanced, opulent renaissance symphony in rose. The brilliant liquid gold citrus lights of bergamot, ambrette, and freesia swirl smoothly onto a lavish heart of an incredibly beautiful rose. A touch of spicy osmanthus, kephalis, and heliotrope continue to smoothly shade this deeply rich colored composition, blending the contrasting light and shadow into a seamless masterpiece, finally descending into a mysterious, tenderly subtle darkness of cedar, vetiver, and musk. It’s fascinating to note that the top of the chiaro effect is perfectly illustrated by the elegantly fanciful gold decorative script used to label the bottle as contrasted with the base scuro effect of the simple, spare blackness of the bottle. Many have been obsessed and commenting on the blackness of the glass bottle, criticizing that the juice inside as being not dark enough. Well I say it’s dark enough. Frankly it’s an example of shadowy dark perfection in a bottle. Not too dark. Not wallowing blindly in a vulgar miasma of overdone patchouli, excessive spices, woods, or animalic substances. On my skin this translates as inky black, velvet shadows with a few slender threads of golden light swirling throughout. Ultrafeminine, deeply rosey, woody, and rich with an elegant shot of musk. No overdone sickening sweetness. No overdone masculinity in the woodiness. Just a perfectly balanced contrast between darkness and light. Beautifully balanced for me. I have to admit, my skin picks up base notes, amplifies them, and tends to overwhelm with them. The base notes that give this scent it’s “shadow” are very prominent with my chemistry. I feel lucky…. And I love this one. If your skin is like mine, and cannot stand overly ripe tuberose, tropical tanning oil like gardenia, indolic jasmine, too much patchouli, too dark a musk, heavy handed civet or castoreum, or too much gourmand sweetness, this may work wonderfully for you. This is a deeply subtle and luxuriously complex scent. She never screams, there is no need. She smiles gently, caresses, then speaks softly, staying close to the skin. Although it is a dangerous smile...sometimes. It brings to mind the sober, iron hand of a bejeweled, voluptuous Medici queen swathed in a crimson velvet glove. Truly, a masterpiece. Gloria in excelsis Christine Nagel. Bravo Lalique.

snow-blinding floral
If I were to give Encre Noire pour Elle a Sanchez/Turin-style two-word fly-by, it would be boozy detergent. Despite the apt but snipey sounding description, there are aspects of ENpE that I appreciate and like. Categorically it’s a musky, woody floral---an enormous field. In spite of the common pedigree, though, it’s clever. The various floral elements (rose, osmanthus, freesia) come together to strike one metallic note. The wood is cedar, and I suppose is a nod to the cedar-like vetiver of the original Encre Noire, but I don’t in fact smell vetiver. The musk sews it up. This is not a luscious, round, fruity or animalic musk. Not soft, not cuddly. It is glaringly bright, a bit harsh and utterly desiccates the florals. The dewy, fruity aspects of rose and osmanthus, and the delicate sweetness of freesia are obliterated by the musk. When magnified by the musk, the flowers become a floral eau de vie, giving that double-distilled, blanched feel.

A few points. 1) Unlike the original, ENpE does smell like ink. 2) Noire? This is so bright I see spots. 3) To make the first in a line a masculine but without a gender descriptor in the title is fine. Then to use the name of the original, adding “pour Elle” the same way one would add “light,” “fraiche,” or “sport" makes it a flanker. My issue, though, is that by extension, a woman is presented as a flanker to the universal-since-unnamed man. This boy/girl thing is only interesting if there is a twist---imagine the Rochas flanker Femme pour Lui.

Awesomeness
If you like SJP Lovely, try this ...
Encre Noire Pour Elle is not Black Ink. Instead, it's a boozy vetiver rose. ENPE opens quite soapy to my nose but doesn't stay there, but the soap comes back well into the wear. In the heart, ENPE reveals a rose in the heart which strikes a balance between classic and modern. The base is woody with a touch of musk.

Although I like this fragrance ALOT, there is something synthetic that I just can't shake off. I've been doing side-by-side tests lately, and ENPE is failing against other fragrances which seem smoother and more natural. As I pare down my collection, ENPE is not going to make the cut, I'm sad to say.

The bottle -- reminiscent of an ink well -- is unusual, chunky, & substantial. It's perfect for storing and maintaining a fragrance, although I'm not sure of why this references ink, other than it's an Encre Noire flanker, as Shera suggests. I purchased a manufacturer's tester ... it was perfect, included the top, but came in a generic box. For the price I paid, it's worth seeking these out on evilbay.

Overall, Encre Noire is a well-balanced, close-wearing, soft feminine fragrance. It smells like a high-quality fragrance as well. I highly recommend this one for sampling by rose lovers, if not blind buying. Those who like SJP Lovely and Narciso Rodriguez for Her will likely like ENPE as well.

Adam's Rib
Although I do not believe that Lalique ENCRE NOIRE POUR ELLE is a bad fragrance, I also do not find it all that memorable. Part of the disappointment may derive from what I regard as the house's mistake of naming this creation as a flanker to the male version, ENCRE NOIRE, which does have a unique personality and develops through very distinct stages (whether one happens to like them or not...). In contrast, POUR ELLE seems a bit vague and linear, yet another somewhat thin, lightly woody floriental among hundreds. I find this composition wearable but inoffensive to the point of being forgettable.

While the original ENCRE NOIRE prominently features Iso Super E, the female version is said to contain Kephalis, a synthetic molecule whose acquaintance I have not made elsewhere (at least to my knowledge...). I wish that this composition contained more ambrette, which I do not detect at all. Instead, this seems to me like a somewhat generic, ever-so-slightly soapy (in the drydown) lightly woody rose.

Even the formerly beautiful bottle of the original ENCRE NOIRE has been marred by the over-the-top wedding invitation script used on this flanker. Kind of a sad metaphor on Adam's rib: an afterthought.

HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Bordeaux-colored and heavy rose with a creamy note.

by UniqueCherie
by MariellaMmmh
by Sherapop
by Sherapop

Popular Lalique

Lalique pour Homme Equus (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Encre Noire à L'Extrême by Lalique Ombre Noire by Lalique Encre Noire Sport by Lalique Lalique Le Parfum (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Lion (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Noir Premier - Or Intemporel 1888 by Lalique Perles de Lalique by Lalique Lalique White (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Noir Premier - Fleur Universelle 1900 by Lalique Amethyst by Lalique Noir Premier - Illusion Captive 1898 by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme Voyageur by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Equus (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Satine (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Lalique (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Noir Premier - Terres Aromatiques 1905 by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Lion (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique