Encre Noire à L'Extrême (2015)

Encre Noire à L'Extrême by Lalique

Encre Noire à L'Extrême is a popular perfume by Lalique for men and was released in 2015. The scent is woody-smoky. It is being marketed by Lalique Group / Art & Fragrance.

Nathalie Lorson

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Elemi resin, Cypress
Heart Notes Heart NotesHaitian vetiver, Iris, Java vetiver, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Patchouli, Sandalwood

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 31.10.2019

7.0 8.0 8.0 6.0/10

As dark as night
The night fascinates me - but I am also afraid of the dark.

I must always sleep with a reading light, otherwise the darkness pushes me like a weight into the pillows.

I'm thinking of the creepy Horler from E.T.A. Hoffmann.
This demon also sat on the breast of the sleeping.

And I feel so depressed by the black ink, which is even more extreme.

A candle could have been added to this sinister scent.

But the fragrance "dark as in a bag" looks like my grandmother used to say when she extinguished the light at night.

In the midst of darkness I perceive the cypress and the incense - but both seem dull to scary.

The other ingredients are swallowed by the black of the night.

For me encre is out of the question anyway, because only the fearless can wear it confidently - because the scent requires courage.

But also in my circle of friends there is neither Zorro - nor the Black Knight , nor Phantomas.
8.0 9.0 8.0 7.0/10

Norleans
Unbeatably good in the top note... but...
I confess, I only know this one from the Encre Noir series so far. My first association was with Terre d'Hermès. Actually, it's pretty tasty. But I am swinging peanut all the time with the incipient heart note. I don't know which of the ingredients triggers this association in me. But that makes it unwearable for me. I love everything with peanuts in the food, but not as a scent on the neck. It's a shame, because the scent has what it takes to be a high-flyer.
10.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Hate me or love me
I don't even feel this "extremely black ink" as dark as this scent is often portrayed. The darkness of e.g. a NdN by Tom Ford is not reached here, in my opinion, even rudimentarily. I would rather speak here of the twilight, which, just like the scent, has beautiful sides, but can also polarize strongly. I'd say there's no in-between here. Either you love Encre Noir or you hate him. I personally love this fragrance.
This starts with the bottle, which is based on the name of an old inkwell. After the last drop has been used up, it makes itself very good on the desk with ink and nib. However, this bottle in particular should be handled with caution. If he falls, the tiles are gone, or worse, the toes are broken. Nothing will happen to the heavy bottle made of thick glass in case of a fall.
But now to the fragrance itself.
It has corners and edges, but never gets too loud or intrusive.
Encre Noir ae starts with me resinous and slightly smoky. Bergamot is more likely not to be noticed. I find the top note very pleasant, with a slight sharpness and not too overloaded.
In the further course, slightly syntetischer Vetiver joins in, which enters a very interesting combination with the incense which one could almost call mystical. Anyway, I can't think of a better comparison. Later, woodsy notes and patchouli are added to the base. Here the fragrance becomes warmer, softer and loses its resin. It actually gets really cuddly.
What I particularly like is that the process is not straightforward for me. He seems to have a life of his own and sometimes puts one nuance in the foreground, sometimes the other, which gives him (and his bearers) something mysterious. He also has something erotic and can look very sexy.
Although the fragrance is quite masculine, it can also be worn by women. Anyway, I find the Encre Noir ae on my best friend extremely sexy ;-)
The Sillage is not room filling but quite sufficient (if you don't shower in it). The shelf life is with a good 8 hours in any case Top.
Finally a few words about the "darkness": This fragrance is not light or clear and clean, but also not deep black. Twilight yes, just by the life of one's own in the course.
For me this is clearly one of my favourite fragrances, which also likes to generate positive reactions from my counterparts.
8.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10

Encre Noire - Lalique
I review this flanker of the popular original from Lalique. During the video I also compare with Chanel's Sycomore edt to see how it stacks up to much more expensive Chanel.

8.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

Minigolf
Melodious, dark, smoky, slightly melancholic.....
......a fragrance I CAN only like! Yeah, I admit it's a "flanker" of the foggy original, but not just anybody. It is an independent fragrance with well-known elements. Just like you can recognize a certain band by its sound, even if the melodies of the songs are different.
And the sound of Encre Noire L' Extrème reminds me in spirit of the music of Depeche Mode....
With minor tones that create a kind of dark smoky mood. Like an abandoned industrial area attacked by nature with its idiosyncratic, mystical charm.
This is not least due to the combination of ethereal softwood resins with the rather rakish elements of the Vetyver. And also the comforting incense does not come here too briefly.
In the midst of earthy, slightly "tarry" notes.
Even if the name suggests it, this is not an extremely black ink, but rather a mixture of darkness and light, black and green, soft and hard... Industrial-natural...
Waving and pulsating... just GUT!!!
9.0 7.0 8.0 9.5/10

Farneon
Fragrant buddy in ethereal and not so dark robe
I only came across the Encre Noir series since my "arrival" at Parfumo. Never, I thought at first, will I become a friend of "black ink": too crass, too earthy, too one-dimensional, too unsuitable for everyday use, so my fears. And then there are those mainly intended for "older people", which for me, even as a late forty-year-old, is an exclusion criterion in the vast majority of cases. But of course: I let myself be blinded a bit by comments, the direction "musty forest", "smoky fog" or "darkest night".

And what am I supposed to say today? Without having the original, the two flankers "Sport" and "À LÈxtreme" (ENE) have become my absolute favourite fragrances. No trace of "unacceptable" and for me also no "extreme case". Naming and Flakongestaltung (this one is just great) serve only sometimes as first decision aid. Be that as it may: Even if no oud is processed, I perceive a scent tending in this direction with ENE. Wonderfully dosed, because too much oriental spice is not my thing at all. The vetiver base is clearly perceptible and I am a fan of this grass because it is inherently very complex: tart, sweet, green, hot, earthy.

For me, however, the icing on the cake at ENE - as with the sports version, which is more menthol-heavy - are the essential ingredients. Elemi, cypress and frankincense all have this wellness aura that is reminiscent of a sauna infusion. Some people may turn up their noses, but I'm totally into it! :-) For me, ENE is therefore not a fragrance that I only put on on winter evenings. After all, one can certainly attest to his subliminal effervescence. For me, ENE and the sports version clearly play in the same league, which is why they are also excellent for layering. So flankers in my nose make sense.

I always find it very amusing to read which associations are sometimes associated with a certain fragrance and smile at Batman, Gargamel or Edgar Wallace. I'm not that imaginative or I don't want to be. For me, the "extreme black ink", despite its name, simply builds the perfectly balanced bridge between masculine sharpness, relaxing wellness and spicy exoticism
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Schoork
When Batman goes home....................................................................................
...Bruce Wayne wears Encre Noire à L'Extrême!

Under Wayne Manor is known to be the Bath Cave. A classic cave, humid, mossy, woody. Bats that gave Batman his name hang on the ceiling, a waterfall separates the exit to civilization. The wind whistles through some holes and it drips from the ceiling.
Those who spend hours living in this cave, training, analyzing and trying to uncover what the bad guys are planning next will eventually take on the smell of this cave.

Et Voila Encre Noire!

Even for meditation Batman uses the cave.
Incense sticks burn, which Bruce once received from Ras al Ghul.

Since Bruce Wayne has obligations in his role as a playboy as well as his alter ego Batman, it is not uncommon for guests to wait in Wayne Manor while Joker's next step is calculated in the bath cave.
For this case Butler Alfred always has a tuxedo handy and neatly hanging together with a strengthened and ironed white shirt in an old cupboard, where the costume can be put down and Bruce can get ready to go.
When it's time, Bruce applies just a little patchouli and easily powders the dents from the last fight from his face.

Et Voila Encre Noire à L'Extrême!

With the elevator and in the tuxedo it goes then upward into the library, by the secret passage then into the Lounge.

Gotham's Black Knight became the billionaire and playboy Bruce Wayne.

Among the guests is Selina Kyle, the bustling Catwoman, the only one who comes closer than you can imagine to Batman and Bruce Wayne and who whispers in Bruce's ear at the first dance of the evening how good he smells and what a longing this triggers in her. Longing for the night, enjoying endless freedom together above the roofs of Gotham.

Still hours later the fragrance doesn't want to come out of her nose when she leaves it with a soft meow.
10.0 7.0 9.0 9.0/10

Muotarek
Encre Noire A L`Extreme aka Amouage's quality!!
Encre Noire A L`Extreme is all about Vetiver and Incense, It is very dark, dry, manly, rich smell. Encre Noir and Encre Noire A L`Extreme have Amouage's quality for few bucks.

While Encre Noire A L`Extreme is all about Vetiver & Incense, the original Encre Noir is all about Cashmere Wood, Cypress & Vetiver. I don't find them alike but there are some similarities for sure.

Overall I own this, Encre Noir & the sport version as well and I'm more than happy with the smell and their performance too.

Balanced!!!
The trilogy is finally complete with the addition of this great adaptation of Encre Noire to my collection. This is round around the edges and not as "bright" as the original or the sport but rather shimmering while still carrying the Encre Noire theme.

The vetiver in this is well blended unlike the rustic one we get from the original... that inky note is still there but it's more of an undertone in this.

All in all a great fragrance without a shred of doubt!!!
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

Encre Noire Cypress Bomb
Lalique Encre Noire a l'Extreme

This is obviously a more powerful version of the original Encre Noire, and is also EdP strength. It does have a similar scent, yet it is different. Where the original was all about the vetiver, with the almost menthol-esque cypress propping it up, this version is the opposite. I think this is all about the cypress the whole way, with the vetiver providing fullness in the background.

To be honest, i don't get too much outside the cypress, vetiver, and a little frankincense. The cypress is very assertive and to me, covers up most of the other notes. As such, this is very linear on me, cypress and vetiver all day, and that's about it. I do very much enjoy it, but wish it was a little more balanced, and overall I'd say I prefer the original EN.

Performance wise, I get about 6 hours of projection where i can smell it in wafts without trying. After that, it's slightly beyond a skin scent. I'm a one spray on each arm and one under the shirt type, so your milage may vary. I feel more than a few sprays will isolate you from humanity, however, because this juice is very strong for the first hour or so.

Scent- 7
Sillage- 8
Longevity- 7

Missed chance
Encre Noire à L’Extreme opens indeed as an “extreme” version of Encre Noire, where “extreme” is to be intended as more powerful, rougher, drier, more woody, somehow more “mature”, a bit more dirty, and ultimately with some more “oomph” than that. It doesn’t smell particularly “natural”, and I guess that’s part of the concept, but surely it does have something crisper, rootier, earthier if compared to the round, and kind of muted synthetic “inkiness” of classic Encre Noire. It’s also quite woodier, thanks to cypriol and to some more cedar. Be reminded I’m talking about nuances, the main bone structure of Extreme is still clearly Encre Noire – nothing dramatically different. But still, especially (and sadly, only) during the early stages, there is indeed enough differences to make this Extreme stand on its own. It smells basically like Encre Noire briefly drenched in wet balsamic woods (cypress) and dusted with pencil shavings and incense ashes, almost making it resemble to a sort of a lighter, drier, more cedar/incense-oriented version of Jovoy’s Private Label (Encre Noire à l’Extreme is nothing remotely that complex or intriguing, but there’s some slight connections) infused with a drop of L’Artisan Parfumeur’s Timbuktu (again – not hinting that the quality is the same; just a matter of superficial similarities between notes, especially some sort of similar “papery cypress” feel). Finally, just mix that with Montana’s Graphite kind of “freshly cut dry cedar”, and here’s this Extreme flanker of Encre Noire.

Now, despite the first minutes seemed quite promising, I must say that overall I’m a bit underwhelmed by this scent - the main issue being that it quickly starts to smell a tad more synthetic and flat that I wished, especially at this price point (but I guess there’s a reason why this is already widely available at a fraction of its original cost). It’s not bad, it’s actually fairly decent; but the dry ashy-cedary part soon smells as much nice as muted, generic and heavily artificial, so do vetiver and cypress, and incense – all notes, basically. I wouldn’t consider Extreme “cheap”, as even if it smells quite synthetic and a bit dull it’s a well-played, ultimately quite pleasant kind of synthetic. Still it doesn’t really keep up with the initial promises for me, soon that “oomph” I mentioned will be just a souvenir. And since Extreme is also heavily linear, there’s really no hope for some twists or changes (which in fact, don’t happen, except for a weak sort of “velvety suede” feel I get after a couple of hours, which combined with vetiver, kind of reminded me of Jil Sander Man by Wasser and Menardo from 2007).

All in all this isn’t strictly a bad scent, but not a great one either. Not even a “very good” one for me, just more only “boringly nice” with a subtle bitter aftertaste of disappointment. This may be a smart choice if you’re looking for your first and only “night vetiver” to own and you don’t want to bother trying others: but be sure to get some good discount though, as this isn’t worthy the full price tag.

6,5/10

Itchynose 138 days ago
Vetiver and resins drowned in a pool of dense black ink. Dark and pungent, one for lovers of the dirtiest kind of vetiver.+1
5.0
Mihaiu 7 months ago
similar to EN but incensy & richer. close to perfection. on me the original performs better+1
Carlitos01 18 months ago
Sting wrote MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE. He was probably writing an hymn to this woow fragrance. Magnific intense dark woods & vetiver! Recommended!+5

by Pistazieneis
Goldschwarz
by Muotarek
by Muotarek
by Pepdal
Tiefschwarz - Kohlrabenschwarz - Pechschwarz - Nachtschwarz - Schwarzwald  > Was passt nicht in die Reihe?  ;-)
Encre Noire a L Extreme von Lalique und seine beiden grossen Brüder
by Karlux37
by NasiGoreng
by NasiGoreng

Popular Lalique

Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Lalique White (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Lalique Le Parfum (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Perles de Lalique by Lalique Amethyst by Lalique Encre Noire Sport by Lalique Encre Noire pour Elle by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Satine (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Encre Noire à L'Extrême by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Lion (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Lalique (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Ombre Noire by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Equus (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique L'Amour (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme Voyageur by Lalique L'Insoumis by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Equus (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Noir Premier - Or Intemporel 1888 by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Lion (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique