Hommage à l'Homme (2011) Eau de Toilette

Hommage à l'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique
Bottle Design Thierry de Baschmakoff

Hommage à l'Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Lalique for men and was released in 2011. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Lalique Group / Art & Fragrance.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Saffron, Violet leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesPimento leaf, Black pepper, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Oud, Cistus

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 05.12.2019.

10.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Our product - Hommage à l'Homme
From: [email protected]
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 11:34
To: [email protected]
Subject: Your product - Hommage à l'Homme
Ladies and Gentlemen,

my name is Profumorist and I am editor of a perfume online evaluation platform surely known to you. As I have tested and appreciated some of your products in the past (e.g. Encre Noire, Encre Noire Sport and White), I would love to devote myself to another of your products. Namely the Hommage à l'Homme. A perfume that I have been able to test several times and which I liked very much right from the start.

But since I am not a trained nose in deciphering individual fragrance components, I would kindly ask you to explain some details and aspects of your product to me. I would be particularly interested in information about the course of the fragrance, the durability, the sillage and the bottle.

Thank you in advance.

Yours sincerely

Profumorist

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

From: [email protected]
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 08:45
To: [email protected]
Subject: WG: Your product - Hommage à l'Homme
Dear Professor,

first of all, thank you very much for sending us your e-mail and the trust you have placed in our products from the Lalique Group.

First of all we would like to mention that we were able to win Christine Nagel for the composition of our product Hommage à l'Homme. Christine Nagel is a recognized master of her trade and is now the successor to the great Jean-Claude Ellena, head perfumer at Hermès.

The top note of our product Hommage à l'Homme is characterized by a fresh and at the same time metallic-cool start. The main component of our product Hommage à l'Homme, the violet or violet leaf, in combination with the bergamot and the spice of saffron, provides this effect. Violet is not used very often in the art of perfume. In our opinion, there are no corresponding comparisons with Christian Dior's Fahrenheit. With the heart note, the interplay of pepper and pimento leaf is added and provides this unmistakable fresh, spicy impression, which continues to be accompanied by the violet slightly cool. Towards the base, the oud and the musk become more recognizable and give the fragrance an additional slightly animalistic touch.

Extraordinary, noble, classic and therefore timeless. A tribute to the man.

Our product Hommage à l'Homme was designed in such a way that you can enjoy a whole working day without any problems, but without taking up too much of your colleagues' time.

As you may know, Lalique has been world famous for its glass art since its beginnings in the 19th century. Of course, this quality should also be reflected in our perfume bottles. The design of our unusual bottle made of heavy glass is intended to remind us of the coffered ceiling of the Pantheon in Rome. This coffered ceiling not only served as a visual design, but was also intended to reduce the weight and thus the bearing load and thus contribute to the enduring durability and stability of the entire building. Our product Hommage à l'Homme is also intended to make it easier to cope with the burden of everyday life and to give you a feeling of freedom.

We wish you continued pleasure with our products.

Yours sincerely

Your Lalique Group Germany

Patternstr. 1
50676 Cologne

Phone: 0221/12345-67
Fax: 0221/12345-89

Please check if this mail really has to be printed!
8.0 8.0 10.0 7.5/10

Leporello
Somewhere between Fahrenheit, M7 ...
and an old tobacco store in a small German town in the late 1980s. As a thinking person one should think that it may not make sense to buy a fragrance "blind", wants to think without having tested it beforehand. But who doesn't know that, you read a few lines about a fragrance somewhere, pick up catchwords that you like and in the end you decide to buy the fragrance blindly. That's what happened to me with Hommage à l'Homme by Lalique. Reason for the whole thing was that I had read some lines about the smell some time ago, which gave me an impression, it concerns here a "tobacco smell". Anyone who reads my comments will quickly notice that I appreciate fragrances with a prominent tobacco note. That's the crux of the matter, because often my reason then exposes itself and I like to order the fragrance blindly. I'm supposed to know better. So I approached the fragrance, obviously with the completely wrong expectation.

Although it was clear to me after reading here on Parfumo that the fragrance also has prominent role models such as M7 and Fahrenheit, but in turn. Immediately after spraying on I came across a mixture of M7 and Fahrenheit, which I would like to say "watered down" and which was anything but enthusiastic. Now I naturally wanted to give the fragrance its chance and wait and see where the journey takes me. And lo and behold, after about twenty minutes the fragrance became clearly more pleasant, wants hotter, rounder and mildly spicy, at the same time woody and slightly smoky. The first impression of the top note was complemented positively and I thought I could like the fragrance in the end. Unfortunately, it came differently. After about an hour the fragrance becomes extremely linear on my skin, the development stagnates and a fragrance, well actually more an aroma, spreads, what Luca Turin once called a "Parfum d' Ambiance" in one of his columns. This "Parfum d' Ambiance" may have some nice memories of my childhood, but it doesn't really want to be a "dreamy" pleasant retrospective. But what does this linear aroma of Hommage à l'Homme remind me of?

It reminds me of my grandfather's old friend's tobacco store. My grandfather, a passionate pipe smoker, often used to visit the tobacco shop of an old friend in the early evening, when he brought his company mail quickly to the nearby town to the main post office, with me as a little boy in tow. Finally it was necessary to get some more tobacco as soon as possible, if one wanted to have a good time in the evening after work. So it happened that I often accompanied Grandpa and mostly around half past six in the evening I visited the mentioned tobacco shop with him. The owner and my grandfather knew each other since times of war and felt that nothing had changed in the shop since the mid thirties. Solid wood-panelled walls, shelves made of dark wood and showcases made of decorated glass adorned the shop along with all sorts of different types of tobacco (in large glasses or clay pots the shop) and dim light. A wonderful ambience and mostly my grandfather stayed a few minutes longer to just have a chat. Sometimes, mostly on Saturdays in the early afternoon, of course I was there again, my grandfather visited the shop to have a cup of coffee with the owner after replenishing his supply for the weekend. The smell of the shop was unique, a mixture of dark wood, moist tobacco varieties and a certain fruity sweetness. I still imagine today that the shop smelled also after overripe sour churches.

This is where Hommage à l'Homme starts for me in its linear structure. Because Hommage à l'Homme smells on my skin exactly like the smell of this over hundred years old shop. A wonderful memory but unfortunately Hommage à l'Homme is so durable that after twelve hours I just can't stand this smell any more. As much as I liked to visit the shop with Grandpa, I don't want to smell a hundred year old tobacco shop all day long. Maybe it's also because it's with memories like with some cakes, you've quickly eaten enough of it. It is at this point that I would like to take up my criticism, because Hommage à l'Homme develops more into a room fragrance on my skin than into a perfume. The durability and sillage are accordingly too strong, even after a shower I could still sniff out the remains of the scent on my wrist and on clothing the scent lingers forever. All this is a nice memory, but in the end Hommage à l'Homme is not a real perfume for me.
6.0 7.0 7.0 7.0/10

That's all I need! :-)
Slowly my perfume collection is enjoying an unprecedented size. But before I become a fragrance junkie, I'm going to rein in my testing and buying activities for now - that's the plan! ;-) I have recently "swarmed" in all possible directions, approached old classics, tried modern scent grenades, put rare niche scents to the olfactory test and completed my preferred scent fresh-fruity/spicy/woody to suit my budget
And as the headline shows: Hommage à L'Homme has just been missing for me and that in the truest sense of the word. I can also tell you why: Not quite young in years of life (Ü45), I can't usually do much with the harp classics so famous here. They simply don't suit me as a creative designer and alternative music fan who digs out of the closet for a suit and tie at the highest time for a wedding. But of course: I'm no more than 20 and I'm happy to do without most of the current hypes and trends - also with regard to fragrances.

The classic bottle in the Guerlain style naturally indicates that H à H's target group is less the young urban hipster, but rather the seasoned, possibly stylish gentleman. And to 70 percent the fragrance embodies the expected and thus the classic high art of fragrance design, which unfortunately all too often is not my thing: too smoky, too spicy, too leathery, too mossy ... there's almost always something that bothers my nose, even though I think I'm highlighting the quality of the creation. The higher the percentages for "older" are, the more I can be sure that a fragrance and I will not be friends.

But H à H is characterized by the fact that it is not too "anything" for me and does not contain a fragrance that frightens me off from the outset ... and that without slipping into squeaky modernity or trendy sweetness. With a "classic men's fragrance" you simply do without oak moss and leather and instead manage to set slightly flowery, fresh and sweet accents. But not too much of everything, so that I get the impression to have a great year-round scent in front of me, which does justice to the jacket as well as to the hoodie. To make a final comparison: no hearty beer, no peaty single malt, no hip gin gin mule ... simply a good and full-bodied Pinot Gris!
8.0 6.0 7.0 8.5/10

Carlitos01
À la recherche du temps perdu
This is more a quick opinion than a review.
This is a magnificent fragrance, very well blended, excelent quality.
It's similar to Fahrenheit (disgrace!!!!)....
but without the gasoline scent (great!!!!)....
Fahrenheit is a great (really excelent) perfume but the gasoline scent makes me nausea. So I just can't stand it while the gasoline accord lasts.
So just imagine the equation:
Hommage a L'Homme = (Fahrenheit Absolute - Gasoline accord) = Lalique Masterpiece
I can imagine a lot of Fahrenheit lovers that feel lost with the discontinued Absolute fragrance, discovering now this fantastic Hommage à l'Homme.
There is a trio of notes that just connect very well in this fragrance: The Violet, the Musk and the Oud. They kind of mix with each other for a great result. In my opinion they are the guilty ones for the Fahrenheit Absolute resemblance.
This fragrance really deserves to be checked for several days and I am still begining to have some fun.
I may edit later some more opinions or even a real test.
9.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Olfactory Echoes of a Better Past
Scentrack
Drago Diklic – Moja Draga

A truly dedicated to men. Lalique’s man is gentle, but masculine. Quiet, well behaved and optimistic. A proper 21st century gentleman.
This fragrance has a retro old school vibe paired with contemporary oud/Tonka tendencies. Duo Nagel – Bijaoui did a tremendous job – a perfectly tweaked masculine composition with multiple layers. Beautiful neoclassic violet rides together with its green leaf and some black pepper. The opening is masculine, somehow boozy, and green like a freshly cut grass, reminding of Dior’s Fahrenheit. The powdery floral notes of violet and saffron are prominent. The saffron note in my opinion gives that needed Oriental twist to otherwise complete Western composition, and successfully balance the oud note. This synthetic oud is dim, yet dark. It gives slightly skunky, dirty undertones. Tonka bean from the base is responsible for that sweet contemporary touch, while cistus for resinous tone. I enjoy discovering these layers over and over again.
Hommage is a special everyday scent. Unreal hybrid of modern and classic. For men who open a door for their ladies and carry a linen handkerchief. An olfactory echoes of a better past.

Rating; 8/10

More on Scentimentalwords
8.0 6.0 8.0 8.0/10

Tribute to the Violet-Oud accord
As its name states, this is a tribute to the Man, and the fragrance does this by blending elements from various classic men's fragrances into a very unique and modern whole. This is a blind buy, and honestly, I didn't know the violet and agar wood could be such an irresistible pairing as I discovered through Lalique Hommage à l’Homme. Often time, the oud is paired with the rose in a classic oriental combination, and I wonder why this intriguing violet leaf combination isn't explored more often. It has enough contrasts to be interesting, but it’s also elegant and polished at the same time. And it works.

I know, and I am pretty sure that fans of Dior’s Fahrenheit will immediately recognize the woody, petrol, violet leaf accord at the center of this scent’s creation, the very particular scent profile that simultaneously manages to be sophisticated, refreshing and elegant. But, violet accord apart, LHH ain't nothing to do with DF.

The opening is sourer that one would first expect, it's crisp herbal-green violet leaf and citrus with a faint powdery note in the background. It goes on with that incredibly common "Italian grape drink" violet smell, blended with a leathery saffron. The violet remains a strong accent and smelling its soft floral note against the smoldering darkness of oud.

This dries quickly to violet and oud. The violet is comparable to the same note in Fahrenheit, though the overall fragrance smells nothing like Fahrenheit, this is a good reference point for the smell. The oud here is a safe, synthetic oud. I don't mean that as a knock against it, it's just the same balanced smooth oud that you would smell in Ferrari Oud, for instance, soft rather than rude. It's a mix of soft fruit and smooth woods. It's presented as more of a background note and sort of grounds the fragrance rather than being very loud. The combination of hot oud and cool violet keeps a constant dialogue, making it a little indecisive, pulsating. As it progresses in the development those two polar opposites reconcile in a general woody atmosphere that smells lacquered and sleek.

After an hour or two, the next phase of the fragrance evolves, and we go back in time farther. It's clean and soapy without being too on the nose of a shaving soap. So at this stage, we have the violet note softening and blending with the hay and pepper. This is the bulk of the fragrance lifespan until around five or six hours in somehow the oud comes back to life and is joined by soft musk notes. There is also a slight and pleasant powdery note in the base.

Overall, this is a very elegant and refined fragrance that projects an aura of casual, confident masculinity. Projection is restrained, barely arm's length. However, the longevity is rather good, ten hours on me. I wore this on early afternoon and yet smelled it the morning after, on my underwear shirt, the soft oud trail is phenomenal. A good quality, modern, masculine fragrance, fit for the office. Violet leaf, tobacco (I feel kind of like notes of an empty cigarette packet) and oud are the main players...rich yet light, a bit sweet, dry, and bitter in the dry down. There's more oud in the marketing than the fragrance, so don't let that put you off. It is detectable, particularly in the dry down, but seekers of oud overload will be disappointed. I'm wearing it in middle autumn, and it works both inside and outside.

That's a great tribute to the violet-oud accord, absolutely!

-Gianluca
8.0 8.0 6.5/10

Hitchslap
If you like violet and oud..................
I am in the minority here, I might understand the high rating if you're grading the end-life of this scent which is nice.
The opening though, wow, just a bit too rough for me. The notes just don't come across as harmonious or seem to "jive", to me. Violet is okay but does not do well with oud/agarwood to my nose.

It will last well on the skin and is masculine enough but I don't feel like waiting around for this to mellow.
10.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

CarlMacau
Violet/Oud for the elegant and ardent man
Something NEW! Hey Hey!
I really like this scent.
In the beginning I only get flowers. Violet and Rose are playing together.
Pepper is frsh and loud too.
After 30 minutes the musk/ woody warm feeling begins. Could there really be Oud inside? I am not sure. Smells different from the OUD Scents I know.
I really like what Lalique crafted here.
Reminds me of NOBILE 1942 ponte vecchio for men a little bit.
Very nice EDT that can last up to 4 hours on skin and more on clothes.
I purchased it for 50€ in Amsterdam.
The Bottle is very elegant and made for males but I am not waering the bottle, I am wearing the scent!Anyway... the Bottle gets 100%!
Sillage is average. Thats okay. It is not a loud scent. More elegant and mystical. Mens with an elegant style should wear it. Not made for boys.

I want a more intense version! Please... Lalique should add oud and vanilla!Come on! This could be a real winner.
7.5 5.0 5.0 8.0/10

Silver Metallic And Pearl Effect
A strong individual character is what we typically experience with gent's perfumes by Lalique. Hommage à L'Homme is on the market for a while now and also part of my collection, yet, I find it difficult to evaluate.

Not only due to its outer appearance, Hommage à L'Homme is breaking up with the Lalique tradition. This perfume is background only, nothing in there is distinctive or unwieldy, and one has to look for good to find a certain statement.

Even though this note is not listed: Hommage à L'Homme for me classifies into the group of modern, dry amber perfumes, like Prada Amber pour Homme Intense or Eau de Iceberg 74.

A very discreet, dry and greyish smoke stands in the main focus – nothing else. This smells somehow transparent, with a minimal rubber appeal and the idea of burnt amber at last. More friendly and brighter notes - such as violet or bergamot – may be in but are not very discernible. It is a downright anti-perfume!

Hommage a L'Homme projects a dry smoke into the aura of its wearer. I don't see a development that is worth mentioning. This fragrance is as discreet as convenient to wear. There is nothing distracting in there, nothing to provoke objection – one cannot go wrong with it. Wearing Hommage à L'Homme is just as thrilling as choosing silver metallic as the colour of your new car. Okay, this fragrance is really well done and refined: silver metallic with pearl effect!

When should one wear this, and why? I think Hommage à L'Homme should be granted a spot on your bath room shelf, always within reach. You can grab this bottle quickly when you are late in the morning and have no time for musing about your perfume of the day. Hommage à L'Homme will enfold a pleasant carpet before you which with its transparent mist will protect you from the worst demands of the beginning working day. On your way to your job you will notice that you have caught something nice. And the car you are driving (silver metallic, of course!) will slide throught the morning traffic just a little bit more relaxed and elegant .

Such a lot of understatement, but what a bulky flacon! That doesn't fit for me – but maybe for Lalique's marketing people. The massive appearance pretends what is missing in there.

Does Lalique have success with it? I have already seen bargains. Presumably, most buyers would prefer something more gaudy, and so shop assistants will have to work a little for this perfume. When you finally own a bottle of it, you will have to grow into it first before Hommage à L'Homme finally will become your grey working day companion.
7.5 5.0 5.0 6.0/10

Drseid
Nothing Groundbreaking, But Rather Nice...
Hommage a L'Homme opens with an almost plum-like resinous labdanum and violet floral tandem supported by allspice in the background coupling with a soft synthetic agar wood accord rising from the base before transitioning to its heart. In the early heart the labdanum-laced violet and agar wood remain, now complimenting an emerging black pepper that grows into the starring role as the all-spice slowly recedes over the scent's progression. Finally during the dry-down the starring pepper and supporting spice remnants dissipate as the still remaining agar wood and resinous floral duo now join a relatively clean musk from the base to finish off the scent's life cycle. Projection and longevity are both average.

Hommage a L'Homme is a scent I did not expect much from going in, but was pleasantly surprised. It uses the resinous labdanum (rockrose) quite effectively to give off a plum-like almost slightly sweet pipe tobacco accord that melds very well with the synthetic oud and soft spice used through the majority of the scent's duration. The dry-down is really the only key flaw I find with an otherwise impressive release, as once the spice recedes there just is not a lot of character in the sanitized musk to hold things together through the end. Dry-down aside, the scent is a surprisingly good release from a company that bucks the recent designer trend of quantity over quality. Hommage a L'Homme is certainly one of the stronger designer releases of late and a good to very good release earning 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5.

AmberScent 11 months ago
Light woody oud fragrance with strong spicy and smoky facets as fresh & floral accords.
Super versatile, alluring & inexpensive scent.+5
9.0
9.0
Carlitos01 14 months ago
The Violet, the Musk and the Oud blend with each other and dance your senses with a great result. It exudes sophistication and warmth!+4
Elysium 2 years ago
I didn't know the violet and the oud could be such an irresistible pairing as I discovered through Lalique Hommage à l’Homme. Phenomenal!!!+2

by Blödel
by Raluroe
by deluxe
by deluxe

Popular Lalique

Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Lalique White (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Lalique Le Parfum (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Perles de Lalique by Lalique Amethyst by Lalique Encre Noire Sport by Lalique Encre Noire pour Elle by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Satine (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Encre Noire à L'Extrême by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Lion (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Lalique (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Ombre Noire by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Equus (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique L'Amour (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme Voyageur by Lalique L'Insoumis by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Equus (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Noir Premier - Or Intemporel 1888 by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Lion (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique