Hommage à l'Homme Voyageur (2014)

Hommage à l'Homme Voyageur by Lalique
Bottle Design: Thierry de Baschmakoff

Hommage à l'Homme Voyageur is a popular perfume by Lalique for men and was released in 2014. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Lalique Group / Art & Fragrance.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Cardamom
Heart Notes Heart NotesVetiver, Patchouli, Papyrus
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Amber, Moss

Submitted by Michael, last update on 30.10.2019

5.0 6.0 6.0 4.0/10

Blamage à Lalique
After some occupation with fragrances one inevitably meets the product range of the French luxury article manufacturer Lalique, specialized in jewellery, glass, all kinds of nippes and also perfumes. Despite the profession for the artistic processing of glass, none of the Lalique flacons has really convinced me optically so far. Equus Homme seemed to me to be the most aesthetic, but the cap is unfortunately the cheapest plastic. In the Hommage à l'Homme Voyageur described here, too, the bottle looks beautiful from a distance, but is then rather cheaply processed at close range. There other chains can offer a nicer cover. Although this is only a secondary category for the rating of fragrances, it should illustrate my rating for the flacon.
The fragrance itself definitely starts unusually from the first moment - never fresh, never really flattering. Described quite subjectively, it seems to me to be musty and musty and sweet. The real freshness of bergamot oil paired with patchouli and vetiver are the primary perceptible notes of this fragrance and in the present concentration and mating they result in an unsightly mix.
Vanilla and amber can only be guessed from the background, they draw the heart note into a dull, indefinable sweetness. I find it particularly difficult to perceive individual notes separately in this fragrance. Papyrus grass, an Egyptian reed, at the same time basis for the antique paper substitute of the same name, I cannot assign. I know it only in dried form - then, like paper, almost odourless.
All in all no Laliqueduft could convince me so far really, neither the smell, nor the performance (here except the Encre Noir). This one, however, together with the big brother Hommage à l'Homme the least. Both not so pleasing at all - extraordinary in any case, but not in a positive sense. Also from outsiders I have actually experienced criticism of my smell here, so that he had to leave my shelf again after three attempts to wear it.
I wouldn't recommend blind buying. Although the pricing policy for Lalique fragrances in online trading is very fair, I was always disappointed with the quality. What a pity, I would have preferred to write an homage instead of Blamage à Lalique.
8.0 7.0 8.0 7.5/10

Farneon
WHAT IS THAT? At least something completely different!
I used to think I liked fruity scents. But that's only because I added citrus aromas (which are expressly excluded here). In the end, however, I had to find out that everything that drifts too far in the direction of plums, apples, raspberries, figs and the like, does not appeal to me at all. All the more astonishing the "Voyageur", which for me has a clearly fruity note, but which I am not able to identify. I wouldn't care if this synthetic nature was, because it smells so appealing.

I want to say: I find here a so far unknown scent terrain, which is probably owed to an unusual combination of extremely known scents. Freshness, fruit and soil I can bring out here, but not wood as one imagines it. It's not in there, either! ;-) Somehow I even have to think about sports, not only because of the blue colour of the bottle. Not to the gym, of course, but rather to kayaking in the Mediterranean or a bike tour near the coast. This is probably due to the underlying aquatics, which is also not indicated by the fragrance pyramid.

I'm still quite excited about this fragrance surprise, simply because it's incomparable for me. It has the spicy Mediterranean herbs and the freshness of good aquatics, but is neither too sweet nor too tart. I found the "fragrance father" already quite good, but behind me he was too stinging and too old-fashioned. The "Voyageur" is different. I must say that I am obviously a Bergamot fan, Vetiver friend and Patchouli lover, although I have never knowingly sniffed the corresponding essences in pure form.

Funnily enough, I can understand it when someone says "This scent doesn't work at all" because it's so special. The oud-connection in other comments opens up at least partially to me, because I know meanwhile at least how this stuff smells! ;-) However, it is obviously possible to achieve a similar scent impression with other aroma combinations. But the longer I write and wonder if this is really my scent, the more I doubt it. Stupid, isn't it?!

For now, let's agree on an original fresh fragrance with an aquatic feel, fruit tendencies and oud nuances. I can't describe it any other way. I can only say here that trying is about studying. And yet: earth and water form an exciting symbiosis here, especially since the scents of Lalique have never really disappointed me (which also applies to the price)
10.0 5.0 6.0 10.0/10

Elysium
Blue as the tint of deep Ocean, yet not aquatic
The 3D bottle is blue as the tint of deep Ocean, blue like the waves of the Atlantic at night, blue like the Riband won by the Normandie, the ole French passenger liner to have broken the speed record for a transatlantic crossing... but that is all about the blue in this scent. Hommage Voyageur is not just another aquatic scent in the world, it is a story that is completely different from the original Hommage à l’Homme, it has way more in common DNA wise with Encre Noire than being a flanker of L'Hommage à L'Homme. It is a wonderfully crafted take on ashen spices, that feels utterly smart and luxurious, it is a dark, rich, and smooth uncompromisingly woodlike fragrance. A scent that powerfully revolves around three manly notes, with the woody, earthy and animalic elements in the foreground: patchouli, vetiver, and papyrus. Albeit they are part of its heart yet dominate the scene since the very beginning. The perfume hugs your skin with a fragrant and medicinal aroma of green cardamom and just a very little hint of bright and powdery bergamot, together they create a delicate balance of citrus, spice and sweet resinous blend. The opening here is superb.

Following this dynamic opening, things gently become carefully subdued and muted. Vetiver's woody, arid quality dominates, accented by papyrus earthy dryness. Nuances of patchouli and it's dark edge pierce through but never distracting from the overall composition. I pretty much get a dirty, dry, and sort of dusty patchouli, rounded out by smoky and leathery notes, with a cedar wood accord as well that adds its unmistakeable pencil sharpener and inky gleaming timbre almost present in Lalique trademark works.
Noteworthy, there is indeed something else that just hit me... I swear it saffron, like how it smells when you pick up the dried strands of that precious spice and inhale deeply! So captivating, this leaves me wondering whether saffron has been inadvertently omitted from the notes listed... otherwise, the perfumers did an astounding job recreating that accord with all the other notes! I know for sure that Nathalie Lorson, for instance, recreated the vanillic accord in Zara Deep Vanilla using other notes, but vanilla.

In the base, warm ambergris offers a touch of sensuality and a deep sweetness mirrored well with an albeit subtle and velvety vanilla note. This never becomes sweet, rather the amber and vanilla expertly round out the edges, adding to its depth and smooth feel. Oakmoss further embellishes the musky and rich earthy tonalities of the fragrance, pairing well with aforementioned vetiver. This mix-up of vanilla, papyrus, and moss is subtle, spicy and absolutely divine,

To me, this new extension to the Lalique line stands apart from its predecessor Hommage a l'Homme. They smell nothing alike in my opinion, which is a good thing. Same name, same bottle, yet each stands alone as a separate fragrance, neither leaning on nor referencing the other. Hommage Voyageur is a foreign journey into the Orient... generative, emotional, and open to discovery.

Lastly, to conclude, Hommage Voyageur is fairly linear and where this would perhaps be a criticism in most cases, it isn’t here as the fragrance smells so darn lovely that one really doesn’t want it to change much at all. Longevity is fine, I sprayed it on generously and after a few hours, I can still smell it. If, however, you are looking for a projection/sillage monster then this is not for you. This one is subtle and classy, intimate, like a whisper. Just perfect for work, I recommend this for cool seasons, spring and fall are ideal if you are looking for a non-floral, non-citrus, non-sweet cologne.

-Elysium
9.0 7.0 8.0 7.5/10

Fresh Dark Elegance
Scentrack
Army of Lovers - Obsession

Cardamom is accompanied by masculine notes of patchouli and vetiver – the main players throughout the life of this fragrance. This dark and inky vetiver is similar to the famous Encre Noir, but easier to wear. Construction of Voyageur is somehow similar to Gucci Pour Homme and Rochas Lui. Voyageur does not have the same smell, but still possesses some woody fragments of these late giants. Maybe the note of papyrus, cypriol oil or Iso E Super cedar are responsible for this effect, but I cannot vouch for that. Interesting is a subtle note of leather, like a pair of new Italian shoes which is stronger manifested in late Canali Style. Through the evolution Voyageur becomes a little bit sweeter from vanilla (vanilla cigarillos) and ambery notes. The drydown is not strong and recognizable, but warms the heart of Voyageur.

Rating: 7.5/10

More on Scentimentalwords

Dandy and standard
I do believe in Lalique. Their most generous fragrances have quality and class. This one is a nice touch of spicy fresh notes and papyrus. Cardamom potentially is a dandy note. It's rounded and biting at the same time. Hommage Voyageur is a juxtaposition of spicy and icy citrus opening, plus ambery vetiver surprise coming much earlier than expected. The core of the fragrance is on frosted dry vetiver and light patchouli infused in vanilla oriented amber. The result is so instant and dandy, green, foggy, earthy and spicy. Nice item to get rid of stress.
7/10

Decent!
Hommage à l’Homme Voyageur is a spicy-woody scent with a quite “glueish”, rubbery texture, inky polished notes of vetiver and cedar with a slight sort of “petrol” aftertaste, softened by floral notes (I get something like violet although I don’t see it listed, however something talc-powdery), sandalwood on the base, all refreshed by a conventional citrus-bergamot accord. As I said the vetiver (and all the scent actually) is quite on the Encre Noire genre, salty and “waxy”: together with cypriol, patchouli and oak moss notes, all the three basically smelling like nuances of plastic, it creates and smell halfway ink and brand new leather (freshly-cleaned with shoe polish). Good persistence. Besides Encre Noire it also reminds me slightly of Jil Sander Man from 2007, although less smoky, less soft, less elegant. Overall a bit uninspired and surely not “realistic” at all as regards of the woody notes (so definitely fans of earthy & raw vetiver may want to skip this); but in its chemical, “urban”, polished and office-safe contemporariness, it’s not bad. An easy-going scent, decently nice for all situations. It should just cost a couple of dozens of euros less.

6,5/10

Elysium 19 months ago
It powerfully revolves around three manly notes with the woody, earthy and animalic elements in the foreground: patchouli, vetiver, papyrus.+2
10.0
5.0
6.0
10.0
Hermesh 3 years ago
Vetiver, sweetened with vanilla, spiced with cardamom, is grown up and noble. Freshness (nice despite synthetic) makes one think of the sea.+1
6.0

Melancholie der Reise ins Ungewisse
by TomLavender
by K1
by K1
by Fencingline
by Fencingline

Popular Lalique

Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Lalique White (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Lalique Le Parfum (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Perles de Lalique by Lalique Amethyst by Lalique Encre Noire Sport by Lalique Encre Noire pour Elle by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Satine (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Encre Noire à L'Extrême by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Lion (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Lalique (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Ombre Noire by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Equus (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique L'Amour (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme Voyageur by Lalique L'Insoumis by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Equus (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Noir Premier - Or Intemporel 1888 by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Lion (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique