Ombre Noire (2017)

Ombre Noire by Lalique

Ombre Noire is a popular perfume by Lalique for men and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Lalique Group / Art & Fragrance.

Top Notes Top NotesItalian bergamot, Fig leaf, Peppermint
Heart Notes Heart NotesTobacco leaf, Cinnamon, Papyrus
Base Notes Base NotesMyrrh, Frankincense, Cognac, Tonka bean, Cedarwood

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 22.11.2019

8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Mint tobacco
I can buy Lalique almost blind. Price and quality or their ratio are too good. At "Ombre Noire" the former is a bit higher and the scent is not available everywhere, it is even dangerously scarce, but of course it is still a great scent. And what a!

He is somewhat in the shadow of the black ink, but he lets his qualities speak for themselves and does not have to hide from anyone. A dance of light and dark, a play of shadows and aromas. An excellent tobacco scent, just at the beginning by a refreshing peppermint twist very light, refreshing, white, almost menthol and very interesting. In the further course one gets used to the unusual mixture, which takes little of the fascination "Ombre Noire". Pleasant, playful and yet very exquisite and noble. Memories of high percent with dark color becomes broad, very mature and intense. Somehow the middle between "Roadster" and "Pure Malt", even if it sounds like an insane experiment. Lalique does not disappoint again and "Ombre Noire" leads my nose again and again to the back of my hand - not leisurely or summery, but outrageously tasty!

Flacon: has Lalique disappointed here before?
Sillage: very quiet. Skin and carrier scent almost already.
Durability: without batting an eyelid, it goes towards the two-digit range... 9 hours minimum.

Conclusion: the perfect complement to cognac and cigar, to whiskey and fireplace, to men's evening with style - "Ombre Noire" is an incredibly seductive and stylish tobacco fragrance. Elegant and sublime. Another autumn winner from and for Lalique!
9.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Eau de Pipe
The previous speaker associated this fragrance with a room of scholars from the fifties and after three test runs I can share this impression. Here is a short excursus:
As a pipe smoker of many years' standing, I'm sure you've heard one sentence many times before: "Pipe? Oh, yeah, I like to smell them." And my inner reaction was always the same: "What the hell do you mean by that?" Because as varied as the range of pipe tobacco is (strongly flavoured "Danish" tobaccos, natural Virginias, English Latakia mixtures and much more), as diverse and absolutely disparate are the spatial notes that pipe tobacco gives off to the environment both in the unburnt and in the glowing state. But if you ask them, they are often tobaccos that were preferred by uncles and grandfathers in past decades. And in this "Back then" the offer was determined by German Lotto/Totto kiosks and petrol stations, which means that the olfactory pipe associations of whole generations are characterized by sticky-sweet cheap homeers like the classic "Rum & Maple" or "Black Luxury" from Danske Club.

Ombre Noire, on the other hand, in my perception refers to a more discreetly flavoured, higher quality (though also widely used) pipe tobacco brand, namely the timeless classics of MacBaren! So I smell in heart and base the alcoholic-warm sweetness of the wonderful "Scottish Blend", almost reminiscent of dry mead wine, as well as the acidic-dark fruity, discreetly coked (papyrus!) seriousness of "Plumcake" from the same house. How do you do? Myrrh and frankincense polish in a balsamic way the existing, but well dosed wood and give the fragrance a certain well-balanced success and sovereignty, without letting it appear older
With the fragrance pyramid I could not do much at the beginning, especially as mint in fragrances could never really convince me. But Lalique manages excellently to present a very compact, coherent fragrance, which should please many people and still retain a certain "nischige" character strength. It will accompany me throughout the winter, especially as its durability is quite remarkable.
8.0 7.0 9.0 10.0/10

Dr. cult. iur. phil. Noire
So far I have only had good experiences with Lalique. So far I have enjoyed Encre Noire à l'extrême, White, Hommage à l'homme and Hommage à l'homme Voyageur. Therefore I MUST have Ombre Noire simply...even as a blind purchase (since nowhere available for testing).

The bottle seems to be identical with the other Noires, only the lid has been changed and is now (unfortunately) not made of wood, but of plastic. The label in matt black with golden lettering really has a special charm. Simply a simple, stylish bottle containing the amber fragrance creation.

The fragrance itself: a great cinema! Freshly sprayed on, the mint is in the foreground first, which is rounded off by the fig leaf and the bergamot sweetly fruity. Beautiful mixture which on the one hand, for a short time directly after the application on the skin cool and immediately afterwards radiates a kind of "warmth". After some time, however, this great mixture "tips over"......and gets even better! Tobacco leaf and cinnamon round off a, in my opinion, strong note of papyrus to which later light, dry incense and cognac are added.

And there comes the following picture into my head:
Mid-1950s, a professor's private library. The walls panelled with dark wood, in a Globus bar an open bottle of cognac, next to it a prepared pipe, on the chair a jacket, the scenario illuminated by warm light from light bulbs which is reflected by the yellowish old scrolls which lie rolled out on a table.

I just can't say it any other way, but damn it! The fragrance has style! He is masculine, conveys seriousness and thoughtfulness. Corduroy trousers, jacket and slider cap, not slim jeans, t-shirt and cappy go for me with Ombre Noire.

The durability on my skin is top, I could still perceive it the next morning, I would call Sillage moderate. Ombre Noire doesn't yell at you, but subtly fits his fragrance DNA: Elegant. Therefore, in my opinion, it is also very well wearable in the office / work. It is definitely an autumn / winter scent and I am very curious how it develops at temperatures around 3-5 degrees Celsius.

Conclusion:

I love him! I love him! Hopefully it's not a limited edition. I will definitely store two more bottles of this great fragrance. Lalique has it all and surprises me over and over again!
10.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

A SPICE BOMB
This is the real SPICEBOMB. A very spicy opening, for the first 10 minutes you will smell like an indian restaurant. But after that the spicy bomb is smoother and the rum and tobacco come in play. Great bottle and niche quality. Very difficult to find it.
9.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

Shadow of Autumn Part 2
Shadow of autumn part 2

I still don't understand the sales and pricing policy especially for this fragrance. On the market since 2017 (even which one?), but since a few weeks only available on the net for the smallest fragrance money (my one cost 44€), but on the Lalique page it doesn't show up. Is this again such a (annoying) limited thing only for selected markets? I would like to take a look behind the scenes..but maybe not...
The scent, as painted for autumn..you can literally smell the autumn forest in all its facets. The first impression, however, is first of all fresh, like stepping into the shade of the warming sun in the forest and noticing that it is already autumn and no longer late summer. A discreetly minty bergamot appears, wonderfully fresh and cool, a spectacle that can only be smelled for a few seconds before autumn, with all its spicy and woody elements, throws itself around. For my a mix as Gucci PHI and Man2 from CdG. Wood, nutmeg, pepper, bark, leaves, dryness. It's pouring on me, I want to dive right in and take a deep breath. I'm thrilled about this mix right away, but it's no wonder, because I like the Gucci and CdG very much. The Man2 in particular is the ideal autumn companion for me, despite certain synthetics and brand peculiarities. Ombre Noire smells very manly to me without being a macho pseudo parody. As if that weren't enough, this wonderful mix is complemented by a note of cognac, very aromatic, deep and slightly sweet, when I smell my Armagnac bottle there, very clear parallels, I also have a certain sharpness, as I like very much with the high percentages.
This also initiates the calm phase of the fragrance, it no longer changes magnificently. Some accuse him of a simple mainstream base, for me it will be
on the other hand, it becomes creamy-balsamic, soft..like sweet-aromatic, golden resin, here the great color of the fragrance fits perfectly to the notes. I can't judge whether the base can meet the highest demands, I've never paid much attention to it, but even with my very expensive fragrances, I would have noticed something special exclusive here, the base notes often don't serve that purpose at all. But even if he does, for 44€ he can smell something ordinary at the end.
His external glamorous and stylish appearance, the inner values follow 1:1, the durability is great with 6-7 hours, I can always perceive the fragrance in exactly the right dose without killing others, that alone distinguishes it from many mainstream fragrances.
Conclusion: For me there is no more beautiful and higher quality fragrance in this price range (even if the shop price should be a little higher). Here you get extremely much for extremely little.

Suitability for everyday use: 9/10
Feel-good factor: 9/10
Wow effect: 7/10
Price/Performance: 10/10
Idea+Implementation: 8/10
Packaging/Bottling: 9/10
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Lalique the 4th.
Contrary to many of my comments, this one is very factual, because this fragrance has occupied me for an unusually long time.
In general, perfumes from Lalique are always special and exceptional. However, they always reached me quickly and with Ombre Noire the 4th Lalique fragrance already came to me. With the Lion and its extraordinary top note, the next one is already knocking on the door.

But Ombre Noire is different again. I ordered it blindly, because I saw myself very addressed, because of the fragrances, the consistently positive statements and also the wonderful commentary of Serenissima.

Now I just let you participate, from the beginning to the end of this new olfactory journey that was given to me.

The unpacking of this massive 100ml bottle was already sublime. If you open the box, the bottle sits in the middle of the box, supported by cardboard and you can see the round lid with engraving on top. An emblem also sits on the underside of the cardboard cover. Both are the circular Lalique emblem with the 4 birds on it. The beaks are all directed to the center and it reminds a little of a compass.

Already very chic.
The bottle is heavy and made of solid glass. The lid is round and big out of plastic and worth no further mention, except that it sits firmly and is handy, I made other experiences with my White there.
The golden-brown scent fits very stylish to the cognac that will show in the base.

So that was like foreplay. But I like to celebrate the unpacking of newly acquired flacons and take a closer look at the flacon first.

Then it finally happened. I sprayed the scent on myself and it followed bergamot, fig leaf and peppermint. BUT what I first noticed was a full booming herb schnapps! Underberg or Kümmerling about the same direction.

The trained nose, which I'm not like that....I still see myself as an apprentice....maybe I'll nail myself to the wall now, but that was my first impression.
I was surprised here, because I didn't expect this, in general I expected a cuddly scent, but we're not there yet.

With increasing duration it became fresher in the background by the peppermint, then the tobacco begins with papyrus. Yes, you actually smell something like paper, although it actually smells woody. However, pretty juicy to the tobacco making a good couple. Nevertheless, we are still far away from sweet and cuddly here.

The fragrance is stirring, opulent and masculine. At this point I know I want to wear this scent in winter. Even autumn wouldn't be enough. It must be cold. Correct Cold.

For now comes the incense, spices and it becomes smokier, but also softer. I suppose that's the tonka bean that comes into play here. It gets a little sweeter, but I still notice the mint. I perceive cognac discreetly, not as loud as in the beginning the association of the herb schnapps.

Now the smell starts to please me really well. Now it gets cuddly, now it gets warm and soft. The base note is really nice. Even though I like sweet scents, I don't mind if it's not too sweet. Here everything is exactly coordinated.

Sprayed in the evening or afternoon, I noticed it the next morning.

That convinced me. I confess I wasn't sure in the beginning if I could do anything with it, too blatant, the scent came towards me going in a direction I didn't expect. Typical Lalique.

I also had to test 2x and did this in completely wrong weather. I was at home but it was hot anyway. Going out with it at the current degrees would be suicide.

I am convinced that this one will turn up again in winter and the scale will go even higher Lalique stays special and I stay with Lalique. But this time it was a close race.
8.0 6.0 8.0 9.0/10

Ombra mai fu!
As the exact opposite of this perfume name, Georg Friedrich Händel naturally occurs to me.
For his opera "Xerxes" he composed the beautiful "Ombra mai fu".
Frequently heard in concert under the title "Largo"; a feast for the ears, especially with virtuoso strings.
Originally written for neuters, this wonderful piece of music is today mostly sung by countertenors (beautiful recordings can be found here by Andreas Scholl or Philippe Jaroussky) or by mezzo-sopranos.
Here I particularly like the interpretation by Cécilia Bartoli:
It should be added that Ms Bartoli has her place more on the concert stage than on the floor of the opera house. Anyone who has ever enjoyed a recital with her knows what I'm talking about.
Before I get to the point, I would like to make a small detour to the text:
"Ombra mai fu
di vegetabile
cara ed amabile
soave più"
The German text finally leads us into the vicinity of the fragrance:
"Never was a shadow < br /> of any plant
more expensive and more lovable
or sweeter"

Laliques "Ombre Noire" provides the shadow that Handel so longs for.
As a border crosser for men's fragrances, it strikes me that there seems to be only "black" and "white" here at Lalique. Not only "White" but also "Encre Noire" are examples of this.

"Ombre Noire" takes you to the radiant hot sun of noon, where the shadows are deep black and sharply contoured. You're almost reminiscent of silhouettes.
These contrasts distinguish this fragrance.
Here the well-known bergamot greets first, which is accompanied by the fig leaf - always a little shy and restrained in its fragrance.
The peppermint now appears less quiet: it immediately relies on the well-known freshness: a stimulant that is difficult to avoid.
Now "Ombre Noire" is present!
The heart note becomes more special, because it unites quite unusual allies: the tobacco leaf - obviously not dried and fermented - and papyrus, still fresh and therefore more fragrant than the "end product" used for documents, set a calmer accent.
This one approaches by cinnamon, always warming and well-being promising, now a certain well-being phase, which is very pleasant after the "awakening" prelude.
Now "Ombre Noire" begins to flow in a less calm way and thus has the time to develop its changeable nature.
Because myrrh and frankincense add a spicy, powerful fragrance that is supported by cedar wood. It is here that the "masculine" development of this fragrance actually begins.
Tonka bean with her well-known sweetness still tries to dampen the astringency a little; she succeeds quite cleverly.
But only a good portion of old golden Cognacs puts this smell "the crown on".
It becomes smoother and rounder, but also more challenging!

"Ombre Noire" will never be in the shade; it will always try to play an excellent role and present its carrier as an alpha animal.
In contrast to "Encre Noire" the metallic note is missing; "Ombre Noire" is a little more lovely!
Some of the corners and edges have been sanded down, making this fragrance creation easy for women to wear. It also underlines a distinct personality, shows not only stencil-like black and white, but already many invigorating lights and iridescent colors: a person worth discovering.

The durability with me as a very light-skinned woman lies in the good mediocrity.
After some time the peppermint tries to dominate again, but only briefly.
In general, a calm, pleasantly changeable fragrance is established.
The first freshness, almost "noisy" for a moment, is replaced by a softer heart that prepares for the more fragrant base.

Laliques "Ombre Noire" seems to me, despite the strongly accentuated name, to be rather a kind of chameleon.
It can't be grasped, but in daily dealings it shows itself to be a strong partner to whom one could sometimes say: "Buddy! You make my Day!"

Lalique surprises and fascinates me again and again. Whether the male or female fragrance collection: there are always luxurious, sometimes capricious compositions that make the discovery of this perfume world very interesting and entertaining.

I am already looking forward to the next test with one of these unusual fragrances.
I've got the guts now!
10.0 6.0 8.0 9.5/10

Pepdal
A hard to find new release by Lalique
This review is for one of Lalique's more recent releases. Strangely, it is not widely available but I can't really understand why...
I hope you enjoy my youtube review from this excellent house

KimJong 18 hours ago
If I give it another name, 'Sherlock Holmes'.
9.0
FranknSense 157 days ago
What a curious perfume. Fresh and green first to begin with and a delightful woody, balsamic tobacco for the main course. Just precious!+3
Carlitos01 10 months ago
In order not to infringe any trademark compliances, I'll just state this to be a true balsamic, tobacco, spice explosive device. Recomended!+4
9.0
10.0

Für Fresh -maskulin-
by Schoork
by Schoork
by Fivetoes74
by Fivetoes74

Popular Lalique

Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Lalique White (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Lalique Le Parfum (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Perles de Lalique by Lalique Amethyst by Lalique Encre Noire Sport by Lalique Encre Noire pour Elle by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Satine (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Encre Noire à L'Extrême by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Lion (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique Lalique (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Ombre Noire by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Equus (Eau de Toilette) by Lalique L'Amour (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Hommage à l'Homme Voyageur by Lalique L'Insoumis by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Equus (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique Noir Premier - Or Intemporel 1888 by Lalique Lalique pour Homme Lion (Eau de Parfum) by Lalique