Cuir de Lancôme 2007

Cuir de Lancôme by Lancôme
Bottle Design George Delhomme
Cuir de Lancôme is a popular perfume by Lancôme for women and was released in 2007. The scent is leathery-floral. It was last marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin orange, Saffron
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Patchouli, Hawthorn, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesBirch, Iris, Styrax

Submitted by Sani, last update on 10.04.2021.

Cuir de Lancome
His lovemaking was earthy and gritty, and no wonder, as he’d misplaced his dibber earlier that day, and had to use the only suitable piece of equipment he’d had to hand in the greenhouse at the time. (Lady Chatterley’s Lover, D.H. Lawrence)

Lancome’s Cuir was my first leather-smelling perfume. I had harmlessly flirted around with Hermes’ Kelly Caleche in the past, but had finally left it on ground of its too over ladylike-ness. Leather and ladies don’t really go well together, at least not in my world. When I say leather, I can already smell it. And it’s raw, and musky, and carnal, and reminiscent of the kind of lovemaking between Constance Chatterley and Mallors. If there is anything ladylike on a leather-smelling fragrance, I must miss the olfactory senses for it. The Hermes version of leather is subdued by too many flowery and spicy accords. It’s a leather glove in a field of wild flowers and pepper. It’s not that I dislike the composition per se, but if you aim at something raw or “dirty”, just go all the way. Don’t just stop in the middle of things and put on a chastity belt. Which is exactly what Kelly Caleche does.

By contrast, Cuir de Lancome is a fragrant version of D.H. Lawrence’s shamelessly erotic novel. It smells of saddles, whips, cowboy boots, and yes, I have to say it, of sex. The ones fairly familiar with perfume houses and the image most of them are trying to project will have already jumped at my throat at this point. Sex in a Lancome? That would equal something like a Michael Schermer lecture at the Vatican or a Victoria’s Secret show in the medina of Fez. And still, I obstinately stick to what I already stated: this is maybe the one and only Lancome which is not chic, respectable and upper middle class. I cannot even say that about the notorious Magie Noire (which I own and love). Even Magie is an uptown lady disguised as a sorceress. Something like a high society beauty organizing séances at night. Still respectable at the break of day. Cuir is a h
throughout. And a very good one at that. I personally believe that there is a courtesan side to every woman – even the most prude and aristocratic one. A kitten which morphs into a tigress once you dare let it out of the closet. A lover, a dancer or a geisha. A woman who does not perceive the “dirty” to be “filthy”. Most perfume-obsessed women look for husbands in their scents. Something enduring, to hold on to, and to fall back on. They can go ahead and keep their husbands. I’d have a lover any day of the week. Cause this is what Cuir smells of to me: a lover. Forbidden, untouchable, unreachable, and divinely sinful. The one you fantasize about during a business lunch. Or at a fancy dinner table with the one you’d immediately cheat on would the Lover be around. Cuir to me is the scent of an affair. There aren’t many fragrant “affairs” around. The market abounds in marriages (Chanel No 5), engagements (Miss Dior Cherie), long term relationships (Champs Elysees) and boring liaisons (Cinema). Not too much stuff to heat up your imagination out there. But then you come across something like Lancome’s Cuir. And it’s the fragrant equivalent of running to his night-time door begging him for more.
The leather note in this one is a dominatrix. Though there is a slight hint of flowers and spice, they are completely subdued by the raw and uncompromising leather smell. This perfume is like a wild mustang. Untamed, unbridled, pure passion. It’s earthy, and warm and masculine. I would love to smell this on my man… mixed with the heat of a summer afternoon, scorching sun and the shades of oak trees we are lying under. The smell of moss and wood in the air, the touch of a light breeze over our naked bodies. And all the time in the world… I guess need to put the cap back on my Cuir bottle. And go to bed.

smooth hum
I find Cuir to be definitively leather, but so unlike most of the other leathers I know. There is not a trace of scratchiness that I usually associate with leather scents such as Bandit, Aramis or Rien. In fact it’s hard for me to consider Cuir and Rien in the same category. Cuir is a sweet, smoky floral leather (I get a lot of iris.) I can’t quite point to the source of the smoothness. Perhaps it is simply its well-considered moderation. Cuir has the nose feel of an emollient, viscous but not sticky. It makes me prick up my ears waiting for that roughness that the composition tells me is coming. But then, no, it’s more like a low-pitched vibration. The growl is implied, but what I hear is a purr, with all the sly contentment that a lounging cat suggests.

Overall, I find Cuir very sophisticated. I tend to love rough and angular fragrances. Cuir is certainly not one of them. That said, Cuir does make me sniff my own wrist more often than any other perfume I can think of. I suppose I’m always listening for the growl. If Cuir is a bit of a tease, I’ve fallen for him.

Awesomeness
A floral leather that's too gorgeous to ignore.
Lancome Cuir is familiar & comfortable but feels affluent. I imagine a well-breed aunt who dresses in a Chanel suit yet always welcomes you with a hug.

On me, Cuir opens as a slighty dark - almost smoky - leather scent that warms, mellows & lightens as it drys. The leather in Cuir is smooth, buttery and pliable, like a pair of kid leather gloves in taupe. As Cuir develops, the florals become more noticeable. I don't pick out jasmine & ylang-ylang, but something else ... perhaps the saffron & the hawthorn, plus a powdery characteristic likely from orris.

Lancome Cuir is a soft, floral leather which could easily be worn by a guy. It lacks the astringency and potency of other femme leathers such as Bandit and Cabochard, so it makes a good introduction to leather fragrances. It's also available at a price-point to-die-for (about 40 USD).

Cuir is unique enough to smell niche and high-quality enough to smell lux. Simply, it's too gorgeous to ignore.

Nikolausschnee :)
by MissGuerlain
by Ridicule
by Ridicule

Popular Lancôme

La Nuit Trésor à la Folie by Lancôme Ôud Bouquet by Lancôme Magie Noire (Parfum) by Lancôme Poême (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme Iris Dragées by Lancôme La Nuit Trésor L'Eau de Parfum by Lancôme La Vie est Belle L'Absolu by Lancôme Jasmins Marzipane by Lancôme Lavandes Trianon by Lancôme Balafre (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Parfait de Rôses by Lancôme La Vie est Belle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Lancôme Ôud Ambroisie by Lancôme Magie Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme L'Autre Ôud by Lancôme Sagamore (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Hypnôse (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme Peut-Être (2020) by Lancôme La Vie est Belle L'Eau de Toilette Florale by Lancôme Balafre Brun (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme