Hypnôse Elixir Envoûtant 2008

Hypnôse Elixir Envoûtant by Lancôme
Hypnôse Elixir Envoûtant is a popular perfume by Lancôme for women and was released in 2008. The scent is oriental-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesAmber, Jasmine sambac
Heart Notes Heart NotesSweet notes, White blossoms
Base Notes Base NotesWoody notes, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 09.04.2021.

Elvenpath: Hypnose Elixir, by Lancome
Yet she much whiter, but the same did hide
Vnder a vele, that wimpled was full low,
And ouer all a blacke stole she did throw,
As one that inly mournd: so was she sad,
And heauie sat vpon her palfrey slow:
Seemed in heart some hidden care she had,
And by her in a line a milke white lambe she lad.
(Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene)
When the violet mists of early morning rise from among the wood’s darkness, when fireflies subside to sleep, and elves riding unicorns pass in the silence of centuries, when dawn subsides to day, and the moon kisses the earth goodbye, and when the world is drowning in an infinity of perfumes. When the night whispers and the stars sigh, when dreams wander and hopes kiss the horizon, there shall we meet, in the shade of the oaken grove. Unseen by wanderers and unheard by spirits we shall dwell in the heart of darkness. You will give me the dew of a thousand flowers to drink from the whiteness of your cupped hands. And I shall envelop you in my velvety robe of fragrance until you will drown in the love of me.

This is what Arwen might have whispered to Aragorn on the night of their final encounter among the shades and shadows of the elven woods. And it is also the trailer of the commercial that Lancome should have envisaged for its release of Hypnose Elixir. For Hypnose bares no connection to this world. It is so ethereal and mythical that only an elven princess could merge into its magic and not drown in its surreal pathways. Like a dark forest, Hypnose is treacherous and misleading. From among its lush foliage wolves are howling, beneath its inky skies bats are batting their icy, wet wings. Do not trust the call of the purple flowers winding along tree trunks and poisoning the sweetness of the grass beneath your feet: once fallen asleep in their alluring aroma and you will never find your way back into life again. Morpheus and Hades dwell close to each another in your bottle of Hypnose – and the enchantment can turn to eternal sleep in the blink of a hypnotized eye. But what a death it would be, to succumb to the maddening pleasure of ethereal elixir. “Elen sila lumenn omentilmo”, A star shall shine on the hour of our meeting… “Cormamin lindua ele lle”, My heart sings to see thee…
Will You come along?

Hypnose Elixir is a bottled fairy tale. If J.R.R. Tolkien had been a woman, he would not have written Lord of the Rings, but created this all-enveloping, utterly indescribable scent. To narrate this essence in anything but poetic terms would be sheer blasphemy. Simply because Hypnose is not a perfume – it is a state of mind. Or rather, a state of perpetual dreaming. If you can envisage a perfume smelling of dawns and midnights, of fireflies and moonlight, of solitary stars reflecting in wandering creeks, and of ancient runes and spell-books, you most probably have already smelled Hypnose. There is an infinity of fragrant flowery dreaminess here, enveloped in the smoothest vanilla your fantasy could conjure up, all wrapped up in a magical veil of vetiver and jasmine sambac, and according to most a trail of elegant woods, which, just as with Mugler’s Alien, I cannot smell at all. I have come to believe that my nose reacts with exclusivist delight to the jasmine in both compositions, which completely overpowers the woods and enhances the rest of the floral composition. As a matter of fact, Alien and Hypnose are strikingly similar to me, with the latter being slightly more modern and 80’s, and the former much more fairy-like and dreamy. But both are intoxicatingly jasmine-y, and utterly other-worldly. Still, where Alien is a gold-cled black-eyed mutant princess, Hypnose Elixir is the queen of elves, passing through silent forest groves towards Middle Earth.

There is virtually no end to how much mystery, twilight, myth, poetry and romance this fragrance can evoke. One sniff and you are transported to a medieval world of Scottish fortresses, damsels and knights, swans flying over forsaken rooftops, the sweetness of music coming from harps and lyres, Dante and Beatrice furtively kissing beneath bolted arches, to the voice of Loreena McKennitt singing La Serenissima or Skellig, to fields of green, cliff of black, to Wuthering Heights, waves crashing upon stony shores and spirits hovering among castle walls.

Hypnose Elixir takes my personal prize for the most mentally associative fragrance. Every time I wear it I can barely concentrate on anything even remotely related to the ‘real’ world. The moment I remove the bottle cap, I unleash all of my princes and fairies, queens and sorcerers, goblins and elves, witches and maidens, dragons and ghosts, stories and legends. There is more magic in a drop of Elixir than in all the magic wands in the world.

The magic of an elixir
When thoughts float on clouds,
give me your grades pictures,
when your veils adorn the air,
all I can do is lose my heart.

To you, I write the ode,
one as there can be,
one I get caught up in',
maybe even a lifetime.

You do what many can't do you may grant me amber moments makes me pause in it,
Unfold colours, feelings and soul.

Blossoming passion flowers - Musenkuss
that I just have to write it Count the flowers and check the rows,
you may linger for many hours
Put your hands firmly around my face but still I don't see you.
But I feel your sweetness all the more you're very powerful, aren't you?
Breathe vanilla breath into me then makes me dream and be,
your fingertips with vetiver,
no place I'd rather be!
Long story short:
A thoroughbred romantic. A thick syrup with jasmine and passion flowers, which runs over vanilla beads and amber pieces.
Stir in a little vetiver with wooden sticks. The result is an autumn/winter to spring scent that lulls you into a dense, soft, noble and magically fragrant fragrance for many hours. Not sugary, but very gourmand, not exhausting but "mood lifting". But above all, not a mainstream.
If hypnosis already appeals to you or if it is not enough for you, you can find a deeper and more "full-bodied" version for cooler temperatures here.
And I would give one of my nose hairs to sniff Jasmin-Sambac or even an Absolue, as it appears in Arden Untold Absolu, or at least a rich and dark jasmine note as in Mauboussin (the pyramid bottle).

Comparison:
Hypnosis Eau de Parfum: Great woman
Hypnosis Elixir Envoûtant: Superwoman

This is the magic of the elixir...

by Gwiazdka72
by Gwiazdka72
by Hermessenz
by Hermessenz

Popular Lancôme

La Nuit Trésor à la Folie by Lancôme Ôud Bouquet by Lancôme Magie Noire (Parfum) by Lancôme Poême (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme Iris Dragées by Lancôme La Nuit Trésor L'Eau de Parfum by Lancôme La Vie est Belle L'Absolu by Lancôme Cuir de Lancôme by Lancôme Jasmins Marzipane by Lancôme Lavandes Trianon by Lancôme Balafre (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Parfait de Rôses by Lancôme La Vie est Belle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Lancôme Ôud Ambroisie by Lancôme Magie Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme L'Autre Ôud by Lancôme Sagamore (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Hypnôse (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme Peut-Être (2020) by Lancôme La Vie est Belle L'Eau de Toilette Florale by Lancôme