La Vie est Belle L'Eau de Parfum (2012)

La Vie est Belle L'Eau de Parfum by Lancôme
Bottle Design: Catherine Krunas
La Vie est Belle L'Eau de Parfum (Lancôme)
La Vie est Belle L'Eau de Parfum (Lancôme)

La Vie est Belle L'Eau de Parfum is a perfume by Lancôme for women and was released in 2012. The scent is sweet-floral. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesPear, Blackcurrant
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Jasmine, Orange blossom
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Praliné, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 14.10.2018

The face of the advertising campaign is actress Julia Roberts.

Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 8.5/10
Because....
Because you wore it the first time we saw each other,
Because you liked him so much,
Because you pronounce it the way it's written, La like EST Bell
Because they knew you were in the room,
Because you just sprayed,
Because I liked him too,
Because we were so naive back then,
Because even then I liked iris and jasmine,
Because we were younger,
Because he looked good on you,
Because he always reminds me of you,
Because it's so funny that he gets off so badly here,
Because there are scents you never forget,
Because I've wanted to say this for a long time,
Because I don't care what anybody says,
Because I like sweet scents on you,
Because I want to give you a smile,
Because I care about you,
Because you haven't worn it in a while,
Because we've evolved,

and because it is and always will be a part of our history.

Because I love you!
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
like visiting the fair in summer
When I smelled the fragrance on someone else for the first time, I immediately thought of popcorn caramel and citrus fruit. A warm, pleasant fragrance that smells wonderful when it has really unfolded. The scents contain my absolute favourite scents: patchouli, vanilla and tonka bean. After Black Opium and anais anais my absolute favorite scent.
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 6.0/10
Sweet praline
It opens with some fruity scents then quickly dries down into praline, vanilla and patchouli scents. The praline is dominant. Though the patchouli tends to balance it with some earthiness, it doesn't seem to be enough. I find it at the limit of being cloying sweet even with one spritz. Plus I have difficulty to associate the fragrance with the supposed image of a 'beautiful life'. I'm not very inspired. But the longevity is 9h+ and the sillage is quite good.

After I tested it again, I insist using it sparingly. Not only just one spritz but one litte spritz. This time I detect the fruits and floral scents much better and they helped a lot to pull the praline back from being cloying sweet.

Originally written in 2013
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 3.5/10
Very Synthetic
Top Notes: Black Currant and Pear.

Heart Notes: Iris, Jasmine, and Orange Blossom.

Base Notes: Patchouli, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, and Praline.

I heard so much about this fragrance. According to my on-line research, it is the best selling fragrance in Paris, which I found truly surprising because after all, in Paris one can find every Guerlain, Chanel, and Dior in production, and all three houses offer outstanding fragrances. Therefore, I was very curious about LVEB, so I pushed myself to go to the shopping mall to test it.

Although citrus notes are not listed for LVEB, I smelt pure citrus upon initial application, and citrus is all I smelt for well over half an hour---perhaps it came from the orange blossom? I soon began to wonder where were the sweet and warm gourmand notes everyone mentions as I could not detect any. I could not detect any black currant, pear, or iris, much less praline. Finally, after an about an hour, the base notes began to come through, and I was able to discern some vanilla and other sweet notes, probably praline.

Projection and sillage were excellent. I could see that everyone around me noticed the fragrance on me, and I had only spritzed one good spray on the back of one hand! Longevity was outstanding to say the least. I could still smell LVEB quite strongly late in the evening before I bathed but after I had washed my hands a couple of times. LVEB has tremendous tenacity. I suspect it would last for days and days on clothing.

Unfortunately, I am unable to understand why LVEB is so very popular. I certainly do not think the huge point of sale photos of Julia Roberts is what makes LVEB sell well. Yes, it is sweet and gourmand, which is one type of fragrance that I enjoy, BUT it smelt very synthetic. In fact, it smelt so synthetic that it actually made me feel a bit embarrassed as people noticed it on me. The only other fragrance I have smelt that was this synthetic was Jessica Simpson Fancy EdP, which I purchased blindly and then quickly got rid of it. If you like this kind of fragrance, then definitely go for Jessica Simpson Fancy as it is much less expensive than LVEB.

I cannot say I hate LVEB, but I also cannot say I truly like it, and I would not purchase it even at half the price. If it were gifted to me, I might keep it just for the pretty bottle, but I could not imagine I would wear it very often--maybe only on exceptionally cold winter days. If I want a delicious, praline fragrance, I would use my Bath and Body Works Sensual Amber every time over LVEB. Sensual Amber smells so much better than LVEB, and Sensual Amber does not smell so synthetic. As a bonus, Sensual Amber is quite inexpensive, too.

Some people have compared LVEB to Angel, and I certainly understand why the two have been compared, but I own Angel in both the EdP and EdT formulations, as well as Angel body creme, and I think Angel is far, far superior to LVEB. Angel does not have the strong synthetic vibe to my nose. I cannot say Angel smells "natural," but it certainly does not smell as strongly synthetic as LVEB, and Angel has a lot more development than LVEB.

Therefore, if you want a sweet, gourmand with prominent praline/chocolate, my best advice is to try Sensual Amber first, and then try Angel second if you want to spend more money. If you want to stay within a low price point range, Sensual Amber is by far the best choice, though. Sensual Amber is so good that I cannot imagine ever not having it in my collection. As for LVEB, well, I am disappointed in the fragrance, but it does have excellent projection, sillage, and longevity. I only wish my Chanel Exclusifs had as good projection, sillage, and longevity as LVEB.

Fragrance: 2.5/10

Projection: 10/10

Sillage: 10/10

Longevity: 10/10
~ Seducive & Sweet Belle ~
~ This is not a review but simply one man's sweet first impression of this Lancome lady luv! I spent the noon time hour exploring new 'fumes when I came upon this pretty, popular designer. "Sexy, Sweet and more Sexy" is what I get out of this candy sweet gourmand! Nothing subtle here in my words or this scent. If head turning is acceptable in your world this candy/vanilla/praline scent will literally snap necks! I wore this on my masculine skin all day so there is definitely longevity and sillage to spare right down to the subtle hint of patch in the fading base now in the evening as I type. No fancy articulate words or evoking images with this soo seductive Belle just simply "Love!"
Kind Regards, Plat

~ A side note when I first sprayed this it immediately reminded me of somewhere between coco~m & noir's opening dna....a true compliment to be compared to for certain.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 2.5/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 5.0/10
Pretty For A Quiet Perfume If That's Your Preference...Another One Rolled Off The Presses
Lancome La vie est belle is a very pretty, elegant smelling perfume for the younger set. I get the patchouli first, it's sweet and soft, not overpowering at all. It's a patchouli for beginners mixed with a candy-like flair. From beginning to end, La vie est belle is soft, never in your face, never too sweet. The pralines lay low and everything is mixed together so well that it almost becomes difficult to discern any notes or evoke any particular images. This is more of an elegant perfume to me, one to wear to dinner, to the theatre, but certainly not out shopping, camping, hanging out or to work. It seems more suited for genteel occasions, linen , silk and lighter fabrics. Not a heavyweight by any means, with the tonka beans exacerbating its vanilla presence, this Lancome addition is better suited for those who prefer quieter perfumes of patchouli leaves, a sweeter vanilla with a powdery overtone. It's not a heavyweight, not a ground-breaker, and not one to be noticed, either. It's similar to many on the market today rolling off the perfume presses. It's just another similar fragrance that others won't be able to put their finger on because it smells so familiar. The juice inside, being pink, probably appeals to a younger set, but don't let a color dissuade you from trying a perfume. Sits closer to the skin and lasts a number of hours. The bottle is pretty tho, very feminine to match the pink inside...pretty for a very quiet perfume if that's your preference.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 9.0/10
My favorite chocolate-gourmand
I'm probably part of the target market for this fragrance so forgive me for being madly in love with this celebrity-associated, Flowerbomb mimicry. I can't help it: this synthetic gourmand fruit-chouli has so much cavity potential that it is absolutely delicious and addictive to me.

And forgive me for comparing it to the Gourmand Queen - Guerlain Gourmand Coquin, but Gourmand Coquin was a somewhat disappointing experience for me after wearing La Vie Est Belle: I think that LVEB does the chocolate note better for my tastes and the longevity and sillage is better... less refined than the queen for sure but I've never pretended to be a refined lady. I'm more the girl next door than a elegant seductress.

I love, love, love over the top sweet fragrances. Pink Sugar is right up my alley, as is Flowerbomb, La Petite Robe Noir, and Lolita Lempicka. I also love caramel gourmands like Molinard Vanille Marine and Laurence Dumont Tendre Madeleine/Xerjoff Lira. If these fragrances are your thing my guess is that you've probably already tried La Vie Est Belle and have an opinion on it. It's my absolute favorite in the chocolate-gourmand category.
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 4.0/10
La vie est banale...
For years, I was convinced that Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt would make the perfect couple, because they both looked like mice to me. Alas, it was not meant to be, I suppose. They are both married to other people and breeding like rabbits, but who knows what the future may bring?

Since I am not the biggest Julia Roberts fan to begin with--indeed, I find her quite annoying for some inexplicable reason--I was not all that excited to get my nose on the new Lancôme fragrance, LA VIE EST BELLE, of which she is the representative, although her teeth take up most of the ad.

I recall having read that Julia insisted at some point that no fruits be used in this, "her", fragrance. So it looks as though the marketing data won out in this case, because the composition opens with a fruity-floral pink patchouli complex very similar to many other recent launches. Or perhaps we can say that Julia's preferences were not vetoed, since LA VIE EST BELLE doesn't really contain any fruit. Whatever may have happened, this creation does indeed seem very similar to a variety of recent pink perfume launches, including La Perla J'AIME, well except that the big musk is missing here, and the patchouli is rather low key--at least by recent standards. The listed flowers are jasmine, iris, and orange blossom, but it's probably hedione along with other abstractions.

LA VIE EST BELLE, however, morphs swiftly into another twenty-first-century hackneyed fragrance phrase: that pseudo-woody, pseudo-ambery "stuff" which forms the base of way too many perfumes today. It smells an awful lot to me like ambroxan, as in Le Labo ANOTHER 13 or Juliette Has a Gun NOT A PERFUME, and even has a tinge of what I have been thinking is oud in all of the oud-named perfumes, but perhaps I've been misidentifying it all along?

All in all, LA VIE EST BELLE rolls a few trends into one bottle of pink liquid (that being one of the trends), and does not appeal very much to me at all. Abstract fruits, abstract flowers, a dash of patchouli (probably the only thing natural in the entire composition--but only because there is no cheaper synthetic substitute), some pseudo-woody, pseudo-ambery stuff, a somewhat sugary opening with a more unisex or even masculine middle stage and, as a grand finale, the opening sweetness making a come back in the drydown. Not for me.

Lancôme redeemed themselves to some extent in my eyes by launching La Collection a few years back, proving that they could produce seriously good perfume. With this new bottle of gobbledygook, they've regressed to their former mass-market ways.

OPomone 3 years ago
If you married a woman of taste, don't give her La Vie est Belle on her birthday or she might file for divorce.+7
Bottle 2.5
Sillage 10.0
Longevity 10.0
Scent 0.0
Alex1984 12 months ago
Guilty pleasure, once a year. Killer sillage/longevity, why can’t my other perfumes be this strong? Extra cold days praline/Iris/o.b hug.+2
Bottle 8.0

• by Lovelikewhoa by Lovelikewhoa
  • by NikkRouse10 by NikkRouse10
  • by Nayeli by Nayeli

Popular Lancôme

La Vie est Belle L'Eau de Parfum by Lancôme Trésor (1990) (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme Hypnôse (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme Hypnôse Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Poême (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme Miracle (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme Trésor Midnight Rose by Lancôme La Nuit Trésor L'Eau de Parfum by Lancôme Trésor in Love by Lancôme Magie Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme Cuir de Lancôme by Lancôme Hypnôse Senses by Lancôme Ô de l'Orangerie by Lancôme Magnifique (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme Ô d'Azur by Lancôme La Vie est Belle L'Absolu by Lancôme Lavandes Trianon by Lancôme Tubéreuses Castane by Lancôme Climat (1967) (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme