Magie Noire (1978)Eau de Toilette

Magie Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand

Magie Noire (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Lancôme for women and was released in 1978. The scent is oriental-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Gerard Goupy

Top Notes Top NotesBlackcurrant, Hyacinth, Green notes, Bergamot, Raspberry
Heart Notes Heart NotesHoney, Iris, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Narcissus, Tuberose, Ylang-ylang, Oriental rose
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Vetiver, Civet, Castoreum, Musk, Oakmoss, Benzoin

Submitted by Sani, last update on 21.06.2020.

MisskMissk 8 years ago

„Lancome at its best”

This fragrance surprised me. I didn't actually recognise this fragrance because it was bottled in a green rectangular-shaped bottle. The way it had been packaged...
DorothyGraceDorothyGrace 4 years ago

„Another old love bites the dust”

KJV
Gossip from yesterday... or the exception to the rule?
How many times have I already written that I give a wide berth to new editions of the fragrance favourites of my youth, because I don't want to have my memories ruined?

All talk of yesterday Well camouflaged in a completely new outfit, the new edition of Magic Noire has smuggled itself onto my wrist in our small town miller. Don't ask me how this could have happened to me, because the prayer wheel that is supposed to protect my favorites from times long gone and the memories in my brain connected with them is still rotating reliably Actually
And then this bitch sneaks onto my wrist and the tangy dark scent sneaks straight into my brain and I immediately see the old bottle in front of me (which I already hated at the time), in my parents' bathroom at times when I wasn't even a teenager. Pure time travel. I wasn't old enough for this fragrance, my mother didn't even have to tell me. Maybe that's what saves me the scent into today - I didn't wear it myself, unlike the scents that were "hip" when I was a real teenager like Opium and Poison and with which I had my own experiences separated from my parents' house.

Did I recognize him?
It feels more like a rich slap in the face - for forgetting that scent that even the name didn't truncate me...
I have earned this slap in the face, because Magie Noire proves to me at least that there are new editions that manage to recall images and feelings in my brain that I no longer have in my conscious memory.

That was almost a year ago. After the hot summer 2019 it was the end of September so far that I took a sprayed strip home with me where it disappeared in the nirvana between sofa and wall and scented the living room for 2 days before we did some major cleaning and fished it out in the usual "black hole" between felt thousands of cat toys. He was then allowed to continue to smell elsewhere, and indeed, 13 days after spraying (!!!!) I still noted that the strip still smells fantastic.
In my own notes I still tell myself at that time that there are modern, new fragrances and I shouldn't stop there, especially since I really had a lot of exclusive fragrances to test at that time. But I started to doubt, especially since many "exclusive" fragrances really disappointed me and I hadn't found this dark-bitter edge yet.

The next skin test was inevitable. And again, Magic Noire completely picked me up. Now no longer as a memory scent, but rather as an oriental with edge and that little bit of animalism that makes a scent really erotic. What all the specimens and bottlings I had tested in the meantime in this direction could not fulfill - but maybe I was on the wrong track in my search?

Now is the time. A 10ml filling arrived and I can hardly keep my hands off it, although the filling was more of a "surcharge"
In order to turn this purely emotional personal description of the situation into a reasonably decent comment, I would like to say:
Yes, this is a "Wummser" old school with high complexity, maybe even a typical example of an oriental chypre (this is rather for chypre fans to judge), the animalics are soft but charming, everything very well balanced.
Durability is great, I can't judge Sillage.
Also for the current version I recommend a low dosage - could still spray a ticking too much eroticism at the workplace.

Conclusion: Great fragrance, also in the new edition. Please dispense discreetly - otherwise it will be weird or cheap.
Charlotte Rampling / Perfection
I became attentive to the precious composition in late teenage years through my girlfriend. She was pretty much the only one of all acquaintances who had a way to capture this scent. The mother of the girlfriend was a well-known best gynaecologist, money smearing was forbidden but in other not verifiable form even very desirable and so the mother of my girlfriend and thus also the girlfriend compulsively flaconenweise came to this dream fragrance. It looked good with her friend, who looked just like young Charlotte Rampling and the admirers beduzelt by her and / or magic noir lay at her feet, piles by piles. Once I was also allowed to absorb some of the precious liquid, I was immediately blown away. But at that time there was NO way to get this treasure, so I resigned, but the scent remained firmly chiselled in my memory. Well, a good 30 years later, I suddenly erased this longing without effort and without horrendous expenses.

It is said that it has been reformulated, but I recognize the fragrance immediately and the thrill of teenagerhood (including endless endless possibilities) comes up immediately. A short sniff alone gives you at least 24 hours of euphoria all around. What do I care about the notes, as long as the composition is perfect and speaks directly into the soul, yes makes me happy on the spot ;-)

A useless commentary - but the perfection of the scents makes exact definition somehow superfluous...
My magical dream
When Magie noire was launched in 1978, I was still a student, wearing a dark dress with mystical paintings almost daily and reading Tolkien, while the scent of incense sticks was wafting through my room.
For the first time I saw the advertisement for the fragrance in a magazine and thought: that's the name of the perfume I want to buy.
Instead I wore viscous patchouli from India and a musk scent from the drugstore.
It was to be three years before I actually met Magie noire and I knew that I wanted to wear this scent.
It was a dull autumn morning when a classmate entered the classroom and ended the sadness with an opulent, sweet-spicy cloud.
When I asked about her fragrance, it came like a gentle purr over her lips:
Maahschie nuarrre.
During the pre-Christmas period we planned a one-week study trip to Heidelberg.
We rented a youth hostel and moved into a room with six girls.
The first days were tightly organized and left no time for activities of their own, but the fourth day left room for a stroll through the city.
We were all looking forward to it, because everyone had a little pocket money with them.
In the night I slept restlessly and heard wolves howling in my dreams.
That I hadn't dreamed turned out the next morning.
Our hostel was next to a zoo and the wolves had met on the full moon for a rendezvous.
I finally took this as an omen to visit a perfumery in the city and to fulfill my long-awaited wish.
30 ml of precious liquid.
On the last evening we all met for a cosy get-together in the party room of the house.
We had a few nice, carefree hours.
The evil awakening followed on the return to the room.
One of us had forgotten to lock the room and my friends looked stunned into their empty wallets.
Bitter tears flowed.
There wasn't much more to get from me.
Fortunately I found my treasure undamaged in the culture bag.
Since then I have known that one should not wait too long to invest in what is dear to one's heart.

I still love this fragrance.
I find it difficult to recognize individual notes.
Very quickly everything combines into a delicious composition.
Black currant and raspberry I suspect in dried form.
Green notes and hyacinth are already in liaison with honey at the beginning, which contributes with a pleasant sweetness until the end.
Flowery accents of ylang ylang and rose I take was, not inconspicuous followed by patchouli and oakmoss.
The shelf life is terrific.
Even after 24 hours I take a spicy sweetness on the skin was.
The Sillage is, as already mentioned at the beginning, also above average.
Sure, the scent changed after its reformulation.
Its power has become softer and quieter.
Yeah, well... maybe that's why we're a good match.

Black magic woman
My rewiew refers to the actual version I've just smelled today:
I was attracted by the name and the pyramid of this historical and iconic perfume and finally I tested on my skin how it is. It was been love at first spray: rich, oriental but also chypre, spicy, complex and very very sexy. The perfect night scent or winter scent to wear with a dark outfit to play to the "black magic woman", as sang Santana. Now I'd like to smell the vintage version: it might be heaven to my nose!
The secret place
Summer, sun milk, children laughing at the lake... A beautiful but also exhausting day is coming to an end. Patient mother's hands caress the tired children's souls to sleep. The headaches have been with me all day now and are draining my strength. Finally it dawns and Aurora bathes the world in gentle light.
Now I own the time. And magic Noire.

You start bitter, but not loud, but almost tender. You have a bitterness in you that makes me think of missed opportunities. A little later the honey spreads silently on my skin - it reconciles with fate. Now this smell hardly changes with me anymore. Its calm radiance seems to descend into lower frequencies over time. It is difficult for me to filter out the individual components of my magic Noire. But I don't really want that either. I close my eyes, take a deep breath - the scent fills me. I let go.

Magic Noire - dark green velvet on my skin.
Magic Noire - a fragrance as beautiful and mysterious as the woman wearing it.
Magic Noire - Self-conception and serenity.
Magic Noire - you are my secret place.
Mon amour.

For Chypre Lovers ONLY
I am not a fan of wearing chypres. Plain and simple. I'm certainly intrigued by them and I have some in my personal collection but they are fragrances that often perplex me. Sometimes they even intimidate me. My chypres are the ones I grab most often, just to simply sniff and admire. I don't wear them often. They frighten me a bit in their complexity. Also, fast forward many, many years later and find me discovering a disdain for oakmoss, a chief ingredient in the chypre recipe.

This is a classic chypre and I would recommend it to anyone who has a chypre obsession. There is a classic 1980s velvet feel to this one, like a vintage thrift store gem you find that somehow everyone else has managed to look over. I'm one of those who saw it and couldn't appreciate it for what it was.

I loved it when my mom would spritz this on me. I was six or seven and it was one of my mom's favorites. It reminded me of the plastic scent of Malibu Barbie's blonde locks. Weird, I know. I got a little older and I asked my mom to please stop wearing it. It made me nauseous so she obliged. I think a major reason why it did and why I still cannot handle the smell of it now has to do with the heavy-handed manner in which my mom and my aunt wore it. It was just too much, like everything else in the 1980s. Oh, and the OAKMOSS. (Yes, cap lock was necessary here.)

Like most chypres MN is very strong. I don't know about the composition of it now but the 1980s juice was strong. It is definitely a spritz-the-air-then-walk-through fragrance. If your skin is wet with MN then you've applied too much. I can appreciate its boldness and its complexity but I still liken it to a Godiva chocolate-covered lobster tail in a caviar sauce--too much of a good thing.
0.5

DorothyGrace
Another old love bites the dust
I considered Magie Noir to be one of my favourite perfumes of all time so what was I thinking when I decided that because I was so fed up with all my niche perfume sampling disasters that this would be safe blind buy (blind buy in the sense that I had not tried the reformulation). I set myself up for disappointment and disappointment I got; I only have myself to blame.

I am not usually so unforgiving but right here right now I feel pretty cross that my son (I asked for it for my birthday) dolloped down £37.50 (are they selling this off as it is on offer everywhere?) for this bitter, soapy, watery mess.

Old Magie Noir - spicey, woody, oakmoss, rich, deep, dry.
New Magie Noir - bitter, soapy, hyacinth and narcissus.

Maybe it is the way I smell some of the newer aroma chemicals but I don't call this Magie Noir.

Old Magie Noir - develops as it wears on my skin.
New Magie Noir - almost linear.

Old Magie Noir - blackcurrant done right.
New Magie Noir - a very pissy blackcurrant that wears for hours and hours, and dominates all else.

Old Magie Noir - sweet animalic musks.
New Magie Noir - no discernible animalic notes.

Again, all of this is on my skin and of course on someone else or to someone else this new version of the perfume may behave well.

For the opening I get a rather bitter soap with a sherberty bergamot, hyacinth and narcissus. It is a very high pitched perfume that does not develop to reveal base notes on me; there seems to be a lot of an artificial citrus smell. I don't get any sweet animal notes, don't find it spicey, and, most surprisingly, I don't detect any oak moss. The pissy blackcurrant kicks in around the 10 minute mark and that, as they say, is that.

Extremely harsh, strong, acrid, overpowering. Lasts well over 16 hours on me.

Yep, altogether super disappointed with this so I am going to write in indelible ink on my brain, 'Don't you ever buy a reformulation of an old love without sampling it first ever again. Just don't!'.

To add insult to injury after a half hour or so it makes my skin itch and triggers migraine with nausea. It's going back. Thank goodness it was bought from a good quality department store with a no questions asked return policy.

Eua de toilette purchased October 2016

Lying in Ambush
This scent doesn't project on me. Though the top note is hypnotically entrancing--reeking as it swiftly does of 3 from my current magic combo (Jasmine, Tuberose, Lily of the Valley)-- it swiftly vanishes into the other notes and stays close to my skin. Since I wear perfume principally for my own enjoyment, the inability to smell one after only moments is a real downer. Yet it's there and beautiful when I bring my arm to my nose, but containing both civet and castoreum, it's quite animalic. The only other perfume I own that has both these notes is Serge Lutens' Muscs Koublaï Khän, a gloriously learthery, saddle-like, zoo-like and funky masterpiece. MKK is all about animalics--ambergris and musk joining the first two along with ambrette, a plant-based musk. Mongol hordes a la puanteur. Patchouli, rose, vanilla, labdanum make it wearable (for the brave). Do I want two powerful animalics mucking about with my oriental, though? I might if I could smell it better. As is, Magie Noire lies in ambush on me, waiting to ensnare in mid-embrace, which is not really when I want my perfume ensnaring to start. A bit late, if you ask me. Assuming your skin doesn't drink it like mine does, I believe the question is: is it beautiful?. Yes! It's not possible for a well-done fragrance with these notes to be anything but. Magi Noire (the vintage) is an extremely well-done and sophisticated oriental-chypreish triumph of stank. Think indoles dressed in mink (i.e., woman naked under fur coat). Glad I own it. Just wish I could smell it more. If it projects on you, be ready for random males to follow you down the street.

Expecto Daemonum...
Grimoires and wands. Potions and philtres. Enchantments and charms. Spells and incantations. Imprecations and anathemas. Allure and enthrallment. Metanoia and lethe. Arcane and occult. Mesmerising and narcotic. Soporific and empyreal. The nemesis of light, the triumph of darkness.
Pernicious and wrecking for Hermione Granger. Salubrious and hale for Bellatrix Lestrange.
One to pulverise Harry Potter and his likes. One to resurrect Lord Voldemort, only with a full-blown nose this time so as to inhale even the faintest waft of its bewitching nefariousness.
Now kneel before the Queen of Fiends...

Truly magical
How wonderful it used to be once upon a time! Even now it's not bad, just more diluted, definitely oak moss was removed from the list of ingredients. The original formula of Magie Noir is phenomenal, heavy, mysterious, full of colors and very elegant. At first it is very compact and dense, but after the first moment that seems a bit harsh, unfolds slowly until the mixture becomes smooth and velvety in the base.
It starts quite grassy and aromatic and has from the start much charisma. A strong and vital smell, moist, almost cold. I am sorry for do not feel tuberose, rose instead is perceptible and take a breath with almost ethereal daffodil flowers over an animal-spice mixture. Flower power decreases over time and remains a hot mixture of resin and powdered spices. It is a perfume for strong women but with gentle soul

Vintageperle
by Seejungfrau
Muschelmagie
by Seejungfrau
by GothicHeart
Rosen zum ersten Advent, Magie.
by Zora
by Infinite
by Infinite
by EauMySoul
by EauMySoul
by Smitty
by Smitty
Schwarze Magie im Dschungel ....
by MadameLegras
by Irini
by Irini
Die Sonne schien von rechts durch das Geländer...
by Pistazieneis
by Sophi
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Lancôme

La Nuit Trésor à la Folie by Lancôme Poême (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme La Nuit Trésor L'Eau de Parfum by Lancôme Iris Dragées by Lancôme Ôud Bouquet by Lancôme Cuir de Lancôme by Lancôme La Vie est Belle L'Absolu by Lancôme Parfait de Rôses by Lancôme Lavandes Trianon by Lancôme Balafre (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Ôud Ambroisie by Lancôme Jasmins Marzipane by Lancôme Sagamore (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme La Vie est Belle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Lancôme L'Autre Ôud by Lancôme Hypnôse (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme Hypnôse Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme La Vie est Belle L'Eau de Toilette Florale by Lancôme Oranges Bigarades by Lancôme Climat (1967) (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme