Ô de Lancôme 1969

Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme
Bottle Design Serge Mansau
Ô de Lancôme is a perfume by Lancôme for women and was released in 1969. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Robert Gonnon

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin orange, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesBasil, Rosemary, Coriander
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Submitted by Sani, last update on 13.11.2020.

All my O's
O and I met many years ago. The occasion was unpleasant. I had to spend a few days in the hospital for an operation. It was summer and I was looking for a scent that would refresh me during that time. Of course, it should be subtle and delicate, but still fresh.

I looked around in a big perfumery. I prefer to do that alone. Consulting only bothers and stresses me. So the "Can I help you" saleswoman is sent away with the usual "No thanks, I'm just looking around" cliché. Finally alone, I approach the fragrances that promise freshness. All of which I have tested on this occasion, I no longer remember. Only that at some point I sprayed a fragrance that immediately elicited an inaudible but deeply felt "Ohhhhh" from me. And that was also called that. Naive, as I was at least back then, I thought: Good idea, this name, it really expresses what this fragrance brings, namely to all who sniff it an involuntary, surprised, enthusiastic "Ohhhhhh" - like "Oh you pleasant, fresh fragrance ...!

It was only later that I realized that the eponym of this perfume was not a rapturous sigh, but O for eau, water, like eau de toilette. That was almost a disappointment for me. O for "Ohhhhh... What a fragrance!" I would have found more appropriate.

The scent reminded me of a Super-4711; it was just as fresh, but somehow more noble and finely composed. Both start with a lot of bergamot, which, as is well known, always provides stimulation and a good mood. In the top note of the O, tangerine and lemon are added to the top note, while the cologne is orange instead of tangerine. In the heart note, the only thing the two have in common is rosemary. In 4711 it is combined with lavender, while the O is spicier. Basil and coriander join the rosemary. In the base note of the 4711, there is only neroli. The O makes a lot of oakmoss, sandalwood and vetiver into chypre. I'm not a fan of chypre per se, but here I was convinced by the mix of tart and citric. Even the herbaceous oakmoss fits into the small orchestra. It gives the fragrance something cool. One thinks of a cheerfully bubbling forest stream on a hot summer's day. One chills on its banks in the soft moss and enjoys the cool freshness. You don't want to leave there anymore. A forest stream is not always at hand in the heat, the O is, if you have it
At that time the perfume was relatively expensive for a light EdT with a fresh scent. Of course I bought it anyway and even re-bought it a few times. In my collection you can still find the old edition with the typical flacon made of satined, thick cathedral glass and the inscription "Lancome". Version 2, also still in the massive cathedral glass flacon, already carries the more modern inscription "O de Lancome". And number 3 is probably the "final version". The flacon design is not so reminiscent of the classic fashion of the 1950s. The glass is now brilliantly clear and no longer matt. So you can see the soft green-yellow liquid. Only the back is still in the cathedral glass design, so to speak as a homage to the old tradition. The front is decorated with a large O as a relief in the glass.

I find the current version most visually appealing. But what about the fragrance? Has it changed over time? I compare the three versions from my collection. The ancient one is noticeably different from the current one. It is softer, silkier, more exclusive and undoubtedly more durable. I hardly notice any difference between 1 and 2. At most something summer-flowery that seems to have been added. Honeysuckle, perhaps. It's only in the new version that the scent has changed. It is still clearly recognizable, but more sparkling, sharper and more short-lived. More defined, you would call it today. While in the old versions oak moss seems to dominate, here it is the fruity element.

It's a thing with the scent pyramid. The one at Douglas differs not insignificantly from the one at Parfumo. Douglas mentions orange peel and orange blossom oil, cedar wood and benzoin. Well, who are we to believe? My nose is for Douglas. I also happen to read the description on Perfumedreams. All of a sudden, honeysuckle and jasmine appear. I can't find two descriptions that look alike. But the manufacturer must know! I click on lancome.de and "O de Lancome" - but no picture, an error message. The page is no longer available. Seems that this scent has been discontinued. In the O-series there is only "O de Azur".

Does that surprise me? Frankly, no. I haven't worn the O for a long time and wouldn't buy it today. My favorite fresh scent of Lancome is oui! But even with this one the product details at Lancome can't be opened. I wonder what that might mean?

Today I sprayed them again, all my O's. Okay, the early version seems a bit old now, I mean from the scent composition. The elegant, almost "madam-like" component is still very strong and "chypry". The last version is much more modern in its scent bouquet, but as I said, it is less durable.

This current O starts with a real freshness kick. Bergamot plays the leading role. It's hard to tell whether lemon, tangerine or orange are involved in the background. Some mention honeysuckle in the top note. For me, bergamot in particular is pleasantly invigorating.
Whether the heart note contains sage or jasmine, I cannot judge. I don't notice anything of jasmine, rather the spicy nuances of basil and rosemary.

Yes, in the base note the oakmoss then has its big entrance. I don't perceive sandalwood Overall, the fragrance is tart and citric and fresh, cooling and green. The floral notes do not play a big role.

The remarkable thing about this fragrance is that its journey is a very short one. By that I don't necessarily mean the weak durability, but the change of the individual notes. It goes incredibly fast. I almost have the feeling that the scent will be as it remains right from the start. Apart from the first few moments, the oakmoss emerges quite soon. The vetiver of the base note corresponds with the citrus nuances of the top note and is so closely connected to them that I can't sniff out the individual ingredients anymore.

Should I be sad that the once so beloved O is no longer so pleasing to me today? No. There is a time for everything. And the newer citrus freshness of Lancome "O oui!" is just trendier with its fruit notes and water lily.

Fragrances are subject to fashion just like clothes, hairstyles, cars and music. And the trends are changing faster and faster. Capitalism has long since turned on the turbo engine, and it pulls us - consciously or unconsciously - along with it. But there is also something interesting about the fast-moving nature of fashion: We encounter new trends at short notice, which surprise and please - or not - and with which we enter into a dialogue, if we allow it
4.5
Kaikialla
"Lemons are made from..." or "Does it help against moths?"
Phu! - Breathe a sigh of relief!!!
Just now I have offered a brand new bottle "Ô de Lancôme" successfully on ebay file,
and I am really relieved that this little water will soon be out of the house forever.

In the meantime I have become aware of the background of this, but quite intense emotional excitement.
It is the huge, prejoyously flushed and NOT fulfilled expectation that one inevitably shows when a fragrance in one's nose celebrates exactly the opposite of the
which in numerous reports sounded soooo promisingly beautiful.
And in the echo I still hear it: "citric, fresh, Hesperide scent, herbaceous, mossy",
and again and again SOMMER!

It's rare that a first spraying push has brought me into a frustration hole so deep in the Mariana Trench.
"Kölnisch Wasser" The first tangible and at the same time incomprehensible thought!
Where is the lemon?
"Franky mothballs in a small cardboard box, gray in the early years, on which it still says what's inside in Fraktur script.
Where's the lemon??
"Grandma in the bobbin lace blouse, serving Darjeeling with cake and sugar tongs."
Where is that goddamn lemon?????
Presumably, she's blown away with the currently absent countenance, too,
and celebrates her concentrated, summery-green-herbal tangyness, in any other flacon :-(

One does not really want to admit it with such bitter disappointments, and desperately searches for responsibility in all possible and impossible circumstances.
But after 3 days of repeated test runs, I could rule out all circumstances including: "weather", "personal condition", "moon phase" and "the shape of my nostrils"
finally overcame me just thinking about the big "Ô"... worst headache.

This forcing of sympathy has led to the bottom line that I can no longer stand this scent and probably explains best my joy that it is currently in a package,
and will embark on the journey to a person who hopefully will be able to offer him exactly what makes the "liaison" with a scent so unspeakably fantastic... The fulfillment of a secret expectation!

Have a good trip & Au (Ô) revoir :-)

Enchanted April
It happened the other day when I was cleaning up. Once a year - let's say every year - I get my books in order. Dust them off. See if maybe I should give away a few of them after all. Almost never do that then. On the upper shelves, for which I need a ladder, those I have sometimes almost forgotten are under - sometimes - twelve months of dust. (I am a good and courageous thrower and sorter, but not for books: the respect for the written word - as stupid as it may sometimes be - is deep in my heart.) And then - all of a sudden - I had it in my hands, for the first time in twenty years: Enchanted April, written by Elizabeth von Arnim almost one hundred years ago. And then I sat down with the dusty book on the edge of the sofa and read its almost three hundred pages in one piece.

Enchanted April is what one would generally call a 'women's book'. What's the difference? Von Arnim tells the story of four very different ladies - English women like her and too happy to be allowed to call themselves unhappy, but too unhappy to be happy - who rent a wonderful villa on the Italian coast together for a month - that very April. And how each one comes a little closer to happiness in its own way. Von Arnim wallows in light and colour, tells of sun, flowers, scents - in a language that is light-footed and airy, but never simple or banal. And when I had read out the nearly three hundred pages - partly leaning against the edge of the sofa, sometime finally sitting, while the empties that had already been put right stared at me accusingly from the hallway - the villa by the sea and their little happiness were very close.

The same lightness and airiness, the same faded charm and the same fragrant colours, the same a bit old-fashioned but loving and careful language - and sun, flowers, scents, told lightly but never banally - I find in Ô de Lancôme. Ô comes from a time in which it was customary to clearly locate a perfume as a ladies' or men's fragrance - according to today's interpretation, its classification as a ladies' fragrance seems almost somewhat anachronistic - a delicate hesperidic chypre that it is. Nostalgic and a little old-fashioned, he is - at the same time youthful and eternally young. With an almost watery herbaceousness - austere but not bitter, serious but not serious - he reminds us of those four so different people whose souls unexpectedly get wings again in the Ligurian spring sun. A lot of friendliness and longing - and joy in small happiness.

Conclusion: Moments like my lost afternoon with 'Enchanted April' have an unexcited, unexpected and sudden beauty. And so hasÔ de Lancôme. For women. Men. People.

Mossy Cologne
Dark citrus with a touch of florals.
After a regular cologne, the moss in Ô makes it feel like sunglasses on a bright day.

O how refreshing!
This fragrance is absolutely wonderful. Superb in fact.

I had chosen the perfect day to test O de Lancome. A rather humid Summer day in the centre of a busy and steamy city.

I must say that at first the citrus notes came on quite strongly. It was very green and lemony. Although not entirely unpleasant, I was expecting the worst seeming that these fragrances don't seem to agree with my chemistry or my nose very often. I was about to write this scent off the list when I brought my wrist up to my nose for another sniff.

I was met with a delightful, fresh and cheerful blend of honeysuckle, various herbs/spices, jasmine and mild citrus notes. On my skin the heart and drydown was soft, slightly soapy, musky and feminine.

I can't say that I understand the masculine references. To me O de Lancome is girly and somewhat sweet, in other words something I can't imagine a man wearing.

I had no idea that this was a fragrance from the 70's, it is very modern and could easily pass as something being produced today. The lasting power is average, around 7 hours. I do recommend this.

Jazzy76Jazzy76 3 years ago
very citrusy and vibrant, it can be "too much"....but in the hottest day it's a true refreshing pleasure! Very elegant the bottle

by Unchaned
by EvaK
by EvaK
by Hermessenz
by Hermessenz
Ôhhh, ich habe eine gute Duftsichtschärfe ;-)
by TomLavender
by Annkom
by BBking
by BBking

Popular Lancôme

La Nuit Trésor à la Folie by Lancôme Iris Dragées by Lancôme Poême (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme La Nuit Trésor L'Eau de Parfum by Lancôme La Vie est Belle L'Absolu by Lancôme Parfait de Rôses by Lancôme Cuir de Lancôme by Lancôme Ôud Bouquet by Lancôme Balafre Brun (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Lavandes Trianon by Lancôme Balafre (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Magie Noire (Parfum) by Lancôme Ôud Ambroisie by Lancôme Jasmins Marzipane by Lancôme La Vie est Belle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Lancôme Magie Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme L'Autre Ôud by Lancôme Sagamore (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Hypnôse (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme Hypnôse Elixir Envoûtant by Lancôme