Poême 1995Eau de Parfum

Poême (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme
Bottle Design Fabien Baron
Poême (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Lancôme for women and was released in 1995. The scent is floral-sweet. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Blue poppy, Angel's trumpet, Green notes, Mandarin orange, Narcissus, Peach, Plum, Blackcurrant
Heart Notes Heart NotesFreesia, Heliotrope, Jasmine, Leather, Mimosa, Orange blossom, Rose, Tuberose, Vanilla blossom, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 06.11.2020.

Prose
The bottle looks like an 80's power suit, wide shoulders tapering down in sexless straight lines to a slim small waist. And the perfume smells the same, a bombastic fruity tuberose in a metal-aquatic corset. (Compare this with the sensual curvy bottle and aldehydic tuberose of Spectacular by Joan Collins - 1989).
Poême's syrupy tuberose and soft oriental - combined with a liquid and cool-metallic cassis - feels like an 80's blockbuster with a 90's makeover. Fragrantica describe this rather schizophrenic structure as 'bitter honey', quite a good description on paper. But with my miniature, which has no box, there is a clear metallic overtone. Possibly this note is helional, or possibly it's been caused by damage, which can be a problem with vintage samples - especially those without a box.

Whatever the reasoning behind Poême, making a lush tuberose floriental in 1995 was clearly a retro gesture, going against the grain of the clean, watery, sexless scents that were the fashion of the time. It's to Jacques Cavallier Belletrud's credit that he dealt with the technical problem of pairing an aquatic with an oriental. If it was a sound thing to do artistically is another question all-together.

I wonder that Lancôme still sell such a ragbag of clichés, but then again, it's better than the last thing they did.

2*+
Poeme & I...
ENDLICH!
At last I have you...
First of all be greeted dear perfume fans,
in order to tell the story of me and Poeme, I have to travel a few years into the past... When I was still in training, (10 years ago) I smelled this fabulous fragrance for the first time on a patient, I had to address you immediately on this great fragrance and asked you which fragrance she wears... Her answer was Poeme of Lancome.
The next day I had to go to Douglas immediately to try it out again, he still smelled as good as the day before. I didn't have to wait long until a lady who worked at Douglas approached me and asked me if she could help me, I said yes I would love to buy this fragrance. The woman looked at me and said that I was much too young for this fragrance and advised me from this purchase on, and went with me to other fragrances which in your opinion fit better to me... Well, end of song, I didn't buy that scent. =(

Now almost 10 years later I had a sample of the Poeme in my exchange package and zack I'm back immediately away from this great fragrance, I just love it it smells fresh and fruity, lingers for a long time and just fits me perfectly. I ordered him to me, he arrived today and I had to spray myself full xD finally we are united. Never again without YOU! ;))
Sunny Girl
Summer, Sun, Juicy Fruit.
The best mood Vibes sit like a halo.
Resting Bitch Face? No problem today people on the street actually smile at you. Because you seem to be smiling right now. Well, that.
The first grape hyacinths in Grandma's garden, so beguiling and unforgettable. Memories of L'Air du Temps, the favourite perfume of the equally unforgettable mother. Smell of Freedom waves from a summer long gone. Sun also stands there and drips the juice from the melted Kallipo onto the flip-flops. But they're all good memories. When summer and sun accompanied a seemingly endless time full of heart palpitations, the scent of sun cream, summer dresses, ice cream and pleasantly self-forgotten bliss.
No trace of stress, circulatory problems due to the heat and eternal hours in the ice-cold office.
No. Now it's light and sweetness and warmth. And at full volume, it plays the whole orchestra. Here you can watch the magnolia blossoms in beautiful weather not get a pop 08/15 soundtrack from the commercials but the finest epic film music you can imagine to the blue sky and the warmth on your skin.
Poême does this without getting kitschy but with a certain stringency.
Sunglasses on and grin!
ne me quitte pas
Through a crack in the curtain, a figure squeezes itself. Far-reaching under the weight of a voluminous white coat with a protruding train of a strange material. As soon as she stands properly in the light, a courageous grasp into the coat, she pulls the train forward. Lush soft and radiant, heavy, the coat leaves one shoulder uncovered.

Her smoky, pregnant voice is in tune with a song that tells of loss and happy hours of loneliness, sadness and hope.

Please don't go away.

They say the coat is made of swan feathers. I think it's made of flowers. Flower after flower individually to a gigantic splendid coat, of unique beauty composed. Flowers over flowers that melancholically draw their bittersweet aroma behind them.

Attention the coat warms !
Yummie
I was looking for a fragrance with iris... but powdery Iris not the woody one ;) and landed in my favorite perfumery... somehow I did not find what I was looking for at Iris and my gaze wandered around...I discovered Poeme.

Something rang my bell... did I know this scent? I wasn't sure. From the name it was a term for me but I could not remember if I had it at that time in the 90s or not.

So sprayed and immediately in love.
No... I didn't have that at the time. I would have remembered the scent immediately. So distinctive and unique. Instant love

Golden Poem
Poême opens with sweet white and yellow flowers accompanied by a sort of dirty earthiness. With the time, the dirty scent dissipates and what's left is a perfectly blended sweet flowers. I can sense some tuberose, some peach; otherwise I can't really pick these many notes within. The sillage is moderate on me and it lasts quite a long time.

If it's a poem, it certainly is not a melancholic one. It's sweet, bright, and speaks of the cheerfulness and joy of life. It's shining, just like the gorgeous golden bottle.
Beautiful...
We know what it's like.. For years you always scurry past it, something happens to whom you smell it and you ask yourself... now it's time for us... it hasn't been for years. The time had yet to come. And finally she's here. Since half a year I am finally mum, and then immediately of twins... a time which I would describe as "beautiful". ... wonderful things are nearest the most difficult, sometimes it is so difficult and then suddenly again incredibly beautiful... so a time hard of miracles. When I gave my little one the bottle again the other night, I was not so creased at all but somehow like inside wrapped in cashmere. Wrapped in Poême. Warm, soft, somehow at home, in my perception, this fragrance is rather unchanging in its course, heavy due to its consistency and somehow indestructible, always there, familiar, cosy, balm on the soul. Like certain things that used to be done in the same way, which wasn't boring, but on the contrary gave security. Spraying the scent again in the evening, he gently steps into his nose as Antoine peacefully empties his bottle. That's how I want to smell for my boys, finally our time has come. And now, first golden September days, he is finally my:)... nice that you exist!

AromaX
A bunch of sultry flowers surrounded by vanilla honey on a sunny day
What can you find inside the bottle?

- A bunch of sultry flowers like jasmine, orange blossom, tuberose, rose and ylang-ylang spreading their heady and suffocating aroma between the landscapes made of honey and vanilla.
- A meadow full of yellow flowers bathing under the golden sunlight.
- Daffodils. The poisonous greenish aroma along the lines of Chloé Narcisse.
- Downy powderness that recalls the fluffy mimosa flowers.
- Warm orange blossom that plays between the seductiveness of a white flower and the powdery blossom dust.
- The poisonous Angel trompet flower or datura similar to Datura Noir by Serge Lutens.
- Blue poppies from Himalaya supposed to be there. Can’t really find them, but can easily imagine the heat of orange and red poppies.
- Abundant character combined with a very strong projection and tenacity. Beware, it can be suffocating!
- An effect of a nourished skin as if it’s moisturized with a reach luxury body cream (similar orange blossom, lily, gardenia and tuberose aroma are often used to perfume luxury nourishing creams). I had a similar effect in Twilly by Hermès.
- An ancestor (one of many) of modern floral oriental perfumes.

An irrational anthem...
This giantess of a perfume is quite a difficult case to me. I guess that it's as hard to understand as its most profound namesakes, cause I'm sure that Lancôme didn't have Humpty Dumpty on its mind when "Poême" was chosen as a name. I was struggling with it since it was launched 20 years ago, and it took me nearly half of them to finally decide that I love the way it burns my olfactory receptors with its datura and narcissus mayhem, as opposed to its mimosa and vanilla comfort. And maybe this is the reason why its bottle always reminded me of a blasting machine, which of course would make a totally inappropriate vessel to contain a poem written with liquid gold. Unless this poem was a revolutionary olfactory manifesto. Well, was it? I'm not sure yet. Maybe Poême was never really meant to be thoroughly understood. Or maybe I was never able to handle its truth.
Poetry is one of the most subjective forms of art humankind has ever created. Because it's just words, and this makes it just a fleeting whiff of air. Because you can't see, touch or hear it (unless someone is reading or reciting it to you, but this subtracts the personal connection). All other arts require one or more senses to be perceived, and they depend on senses to reveal their true form and meaning. Poetry requires just reading, and reading is not a sense. Yes, it also requires vision, but vision here is only the mean. It's the most private of all arts. But on the other hand, it's the only form of art that can quietly make you see, touch, hear and smell the things it deals with.
Yet this befuddling elixir feels more like an incantation than a poem. But what it actually summons still remains a mystery. It's like a shapeless pulsating mist, which every time you take a step closer to it attacks you with such vice that makes you wanna run away, but when you turn your back and take the first step offward, it engulfs you with the most alluring and promising fantasies.
Just like when you desire something with all your heart, but you're scared to death by what it'll take to have it.
And all its qualities, whether good or bad, have a certain escalation.
Like a poem which starts in a seemingly indifferent or incoherent way, making you think that it's not going to be anything more than yet another babble, and suddenly you find yourself sitting on the edge of your seat, enthralled beyond words, trying to understand what has happened and why you're crying.
I have a very old bottle of this beauty, coming from the late '90s, and it has a deep amber colour, not unlike red gold. Every time I remove its cap, its olfactory assault hits me with full force, to the point of rendering spraying uneccessary. And in the rare cases of finally deciding to spray some on me, 24 hours is the minimum period it grants me its magnificent contradictions. Like stealing a full day and night of my life.
I'm still wondering why such a successful and popular perfume does not have even a single flanker launched. And I have no answer to offer, except that some strange conjuncture may have decided that it will remain one of a kind till the end of time. I believe that it's the last truly great piece of high perfumery created by the once mighty Lancôme. And this makes it a landmark on the edge of "old world" perfumes. A last, yet perpetual reminder of a time when the most important asset in any perfume house was the lab and not the marketing department.

Flowers of bulbs
It's springtime and I am at my mother's. She has been cutting flowers from her garden and they have been in a closed up room overnight. I walk in the next morning. The air is dripping, cloyed, thick with the smell of her cut daffodils, freesias, more daffodils, narcissus, jasmine, hyacinth, flowering cherry, honeysuckle from the fence. A few green sprays and blossom from the mandarine tree or orange or lemon tree. Some blood red rose, pink roses, but nothing as strong as the jonquils and tuberose in honey, vanilla. The scent is all over me, it comes up from me. It's all through the house, as I open the doors. It overwhelms the senses. It stays in the car with me for hours as i drive home. It's sweet and powerful. Viscous as honey.
This powerhouse scent is stronger, more cloying than the original Tresor, both are of the same genre, Tresor is a little more peach and apricot and fruity and uplifting and sparkling,less of the neroli and tuberose concentration. And then, to come a little further down the scale I might place Dolce Vita under Tresor.

Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
A rich and warm flowery scent very feminin. A complexe acchord where the narcissus, the tuberose and the ylang ylang make their solos .

by LadyLuxifer
by LadyLuxifer
by AromaX
by AromaX
by Sonnenwind
Ich danke Dir von ❤ en liebe Herbstblond :)
by Sonnenwind
Ein Duft wie ein Gedicht .....
by Shalima
by Blaustern
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Lancôme

La Nuit Trésor à la Folie by Lancôme Iris Dragées by Lancôme La Nuit Trésor L'Eau de Parfum by Lancôme La Vie est Belle L'Absolu by Lancôme Ôud Bouquet by Lancôme Parfait de Rôses by Lancôme Cuir de Lancôme by Lancôme Balafre Brun (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Lavandes Trianon by Lancôme Balafre (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Magie Noire (Parfum) by Lancôme Ôud Ambroisie by Lancôme Jasmins Marzipane by Lancôme La Vie est Belle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Lancôme Magie Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme L'Autre Ôud by Lancôme Sagamore (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Hypnôse (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme Oranges Bigarades by Lancôme Hypnôse Elixir Envoûtant by Lancôme