Sagamore (1985) Eau de Toilette

Sagamore (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme

Sagamore (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Lancôme for men and was released in 1985. The scent is chypre-spicy. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesCardamom, Bergamot, Lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Geranium, Ginger
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver, Moss, Benzoin

Submitted by Sani, last update on 30.08.2019

8.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

An absolute gentleman
I am still not the type who can decompose fragrances into their components. I can only describe fragrances according to my impressions. Since a few days I am in the possession of two 30 ml pouring bottles of this fragrance. The scent has something, something special. Definitely for more mature gentlemen, but at what age "maturity" begins, everyone is free. For me, this fragrance is an expression of the true gentleman. A man who likes a certain etiquette. Wearing elegant cufflinks to his shirt with cuffs. A man who holds the lady's door open. Upstairs behind the lady goes, but and this is the adventurous thing about this scent, not too fine is to change the flat tire of his vehicle itself. Elegant roughneck, I'd say
8.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

The Hill of Memories
Memories are priceless, so they say!
That's not true! You can pay for it very well. Even a lot if it's worth anything. So it was with Sagamore. I first wore this fragrance when I was 20. None of my perfumes have been more memorable than this one because I have had to say its name too often. A name like a battle cry. None of my fragrances that I have ever worn have ever asked me about a perfume as often as Sagamore. Of men and women alike. The heavy grey bottle that lay in the hand like a scepter. Filled with elegance, masculinity, charm and tons of deepest sensuality. A scent that touched, that led to touches and that seduced. Whoever! So many voices in my ear saying, "You smell so good! So many people who asked me, "They smell so good, what's that? The dresser who took my leather jacket and pressed both hands against her face said: "They smell sooo beautiful! Sagamore had conquered them all. Including myself! He was a friend and a silent observer. A confidante and a witness of his time. My time! With Sagamore, I've run up the hills of life so many times. We've fought so many battles together. For better or for worse. He was long gone. But now he's back and we have a lot to tell each other!

Sagamore
The top note is sharp as a sword. Green and citric-spicy cardamom opens the dance. Followed by light and herbaceous hints of lavender. An almost stabbing entrance. After a few minutes, Sagamore begins to develop into the heart note. Very masculine and bitter-floral notes begin to show. A rose geranium peppered with tangy spicy ginger. The jasmine is so fine and skillfully set that you can only guess at it and it is only a softly breathed chord. Then it goes relatively fast to the base where Sagamore lingers for hours. An almost green-brown, dark moss spreads over all notes and is covered with a creamy resinous and buttery soft benzoin. Benzoe and moss is, by the way, one of the most successful and seductive compounds that can be found in a men's perfume in my opinion. It is precisely this combination that gives Sagamore its infinite warmth, depth and sensuality. Also here the still existing Vetiver chord works only supporting and makes this unique smell still deeper, warmer, spicy and more masculine
Conclusion
I have waited almost thirty years to wear this fragrance again on my skin like a coat of arms of time. I could've had him sooner. Lancôme had given him new life. But I didn't want distorted thoughts, memories and experiences. I wanted my old confidante, friend and warrior back. The scent I've so often walked up the hill of life with. The one who had experienced so much with me. Who knew so much about me. I wanted him to tell me the story of my life like only a friend can. He's a vintage, and he's the same as me. But scents don't know age either. Fragrances are captured memories and emotions. They bring us back to our youth through time. Back to ourselves. Tell us about scents and things we might have forgotten long ago. They help us through difficult times and share with us the deepest secrets. They sometimes have their price, but memories basically have that too!

The closest friend is a scent.
Sagamore will always be!

Can

<font color="#ffff00">Sync by honeybunny <font color="#ffff00">https://m.youtube.com/watch?v --

revised 3/2/13
Lavender gives Sagamore a sort of fougère camouflage that it sheds in the topnotes. Very quickly Sagamore shows a complexity, an armful notes of fairly equal intensity and density. It's not muddled, it's complex and deliberate. Its winning quality is an unfussy ambiguity that some of the better masculine chypres such as Hermes' Equipage and Carthusia's Numero Uno share. Sagamore has little sillage after its topnotes and its presence hangs very close to the skin, a trait that perfectly suits it quiet but sharp herbal/floral character.  Sagamore is the anti-dandy and exemplifies the best of the classic gentlemanly chypres.
It's easy to dissect gender in perfumery. If you move forward from the premise that no scent is fundamentally masculine or feminine, then no perfume is intrinsically gendered either. What we're left with is the marketing of the producers and the customs and practices of perfume wearers to inform us about perfume and gender. Accept the status quo or don't. Or change the rules for that matter. There’s a growing underestimation of men in mainstream perfumery that is distinct from the low bar set by many poorly conceived fragrance in the women’s market. For women, it’s the fashion-induced disposability issue: in one season, out the next, with notoriety intrinsically more valued than quality. For men, the low expectation has to do with the implicit assumption that all men want to smell 90% like each other. The other 10% points to that almost unnoticeable distinction that carries enormous symbolic value to the members of the various masculine tribes. Hence Cool Water, Green Irish Tweed, Pleasure’s for Men, Chez Bond. It’s like the businessman’s gamble: the huge range of tie choices, from blue stripe to red stripe, singing out your individuality against a grey suit and white shirt. Current trend tells us men want indistinguishable dreck. History (Fougère Royal, Habit Rouge, Sables, Knize Ten, Guerlain Vetiver, Amouage Gold Man) says otherwise. And so do I. I want Fracas and Havana, Bois de Violette and Yatagan.

Screw marketing and whatever people think of gender. I want excellent perfume.

Lancôme - Sagamore (1985)
by Morpheus1
by Joe
by Merunnisa
by Merunnisa

Popular Lancôme

La Vie est Belle L'Eau de Parfum by Lancôme Trésor (1990) (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme Hypnôse (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme Hypnôse Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Poême (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme La Nuit Trésor L'Eau de Parfum by Lancôme Miracle (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme Trésor Midnight Rose by Lancôme Trésor in Love by Lancôme Magie Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme Cuir de Lancôme by Lancôme Hypnôse Senses by Lancôme Ô de l'Orangerie by Lancôme La Nuit Trésor à la Folie by Lancôme Idôle by Lancôme Magnifique (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme La Vie est Belle L'Absolu by Lancôme Lavandes Trianon by Lancôme Ô d'Azur by Lancôme