Roma 1988 Eau de Toilette

Roma (Eau de Toilette) by Laura Biagiotti
Bottle Design Peter Schmidt
Roma (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Laura Biagiotti for women and was released in 1988. The scent is floral-oriental. It is being marketed by Angelini Beauty. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
MintMint
BlackcurrantBlackcurrant
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnationCarnation
JasmineJasmine
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
RoseRose
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber
CastoreumCastoreum
MuskMusk
MyrrhMyrrh
PatchouliPatchouli
VanillaVanilla
CivetCivet

Submitted by MartinGE, last update on 16.10.2021.

Unusual
So if I had read the fragrance notes before, this would certainly not have become a fragrance for me.
Castoreum AND civet, THAT is already very violent.
But, I don't smell any of that. With me only the flowers arrive and a lot of vanilla.

Initially, I thought an unsweet, woody scent, but it's not that either. No idea what made me buy the again, possibly the bottle, because it is very beautiful, but that alone was not it. I had the fragrance once before, a few years ago, that is about 30 to be exact! However, I have completely forgotten and through Parfumo the memories came back.

At that time everything was different, - as we read here again and again - but not always everything necessarily better. The Roma fragrance is, I think, still just as good, as before. Very romantic and very unusual. You have to get to grips with it. It doesn't always smell the same either.
Depending on the mood, he is warm and soft, or woody and cool.
I could compare the now also with no other fragrance, because either it lacks the warmth or the coolness.
For me, this is a soul comforter in hard times and a pick-me-up and a mood lifter. I don't know why I'm writing all this, I just felt like it today.
Sorry for my rambling, I'll stop already. :-)
Roma, my childhood sweetheart
Roma was one of the first big perfume loves in my youth, when I started to be interested in perfume at all :)
I loved antiquity and was very much into Greek and Roman mythology and at the same time I fell in love with the music of Rondo Veneziano at that time, which was so new and extraordinary "Classic meets Pop".... Awesome!
And this included, appropriately enough, Roma by Laura Biagiotti in this (as I found at the time) beautiful column bottle.
When I smell my still existing old bottle today, so many memories come back. Roma is a classic... many other perfumes came and went over the many years and were sometimes discontinued .... but Roma remained.
I used to read about the bad new reformulations and didn't dare buy Roma anymore for fear of being disappointed.
In recent years, I have known so many fragrances and briefly I was also in love. But when I very rarely smell my old Roma bottle, I have to say that nowadays it can still absolutely keep up. I find this fragrance somehow timelessly beautiful and I think I'll get myself one of these new bottles soon.
A tiny one... to test it :)
It would be nice if Roma would become my daily companion again...somehow I missed it without realizing it.

Peau d'alien
Somewhere in a distant galaxy there may be aliens who smell like this.
An abstract bouquet of myrrh and orange flower, Roma is an avant-garde classic that - even after 33 years - is still ahead of it's time.
Nice for the winter
For me "Roma" is my favourite winter scent so far. Especially the "old", heavier one, but also the new one (already had both, currently the old one again via Ebay). I think it smells a little like a winter pine forest, spicy, and there is also some lemon peel. Summery scents like lily of the valley, jasmine or black currant are less noticeable.
Bath vibes
Unfortunately, Roma does not go for my little nose at all. Of course, it is not the fragrance's fault, but wearers very often determine how we perceive fragrances and also how we classify them. And that can last a lifetime. I was in the 6th or 7th grade when I first met Roma. German lessons with our new teacher. As soon as she entered the classroom, it took only seconds for the incredible sillage of flowers, patch, amber and animalics to spread throughout the room. And the intensity seemed to increase exponentially the longer the school hours lasted. You could hardly breathe. I don't know if she bathed in Roma at the time, but that was extreme. We are of course talking about the vintage version
At first we thought it was quite okay, but that changed quickly. Yes, I was not as lucky as colleague Meggi with my teachers. The ladies not only marinated themselves with Roma, they also had their own peculiarities and not too little of them. We were children and of course we were cheeky at high school. Whenever we tried a little joke with her, nothing bad of course, then the good one was missing for several days. Sometimes she was missing for a whole week just like that. Of course we were happy about the free hours, but that was also funny. The highlight came during a dictation. She dictated to us kids, who were only 12 years old, in which way the other colleagues constantly denounced her and made her life difficult. Finally, she dictated, "They claim I drank too much." Shock! First we get hit with the olfactory mace and then this? The walk to the guidance counsellor on our part followed, and from then on she was no longer seen.

This memory runs deep. And I'm sure some of my classmates from the past feel the same way. And the scent is just as deep. He is flowery, pompous, very very very sweet and has simply too much of everything for me. Maybe Roma and my teacher are to blame, which is why I still have a hard time with jasmine notes and the scent of lily of the valley today.

Objectively speaking, that's an insane perfume. And the scent has remained the same until today - albeit reformulated. But unfortunately not for me. Because there was another Roma carrier in my life. My first boyfriend's mother, and she didn't like me. Roma = bad vibes. Sorry to all lovers
disappointed
Many, many years ago I had Roma and the smell of that time remained in my memory, as cuddly, cosy and warm and seaehr lang, over some days a smell experience, something for autumn, winter. Since it pulls me at the moment again more to the old "Wummsern", I have once again Roma "indulged" me. But what's that? I don't have a trace of cuddly scent, but lemon and cat scent, well, maybe tilted, then I simply take it as a laundry scent and buy me again after . What should I say (write), the same again, only lemony and after half an hour is nothing more ....what happened with this fragrance ? unfortunately I have the old bottle no longer to look if it was an Eau de Parfume, was there Roma at all as an Eau de Parume ????
Arrivederci Roma
After my passion for fragrances was on ice for more than 20 years for many reasons (raising children and the associated change in priorities and also the financial situation), I started 2 years ago to reforest my in the meantime very thinned out treasures.
With horror I had to find out that a large part of it is no longer produced and therefore I had to say goodbye not only to some beloved people but also to the scents that always reminded me of them That's how I ended up at Parfumo and I have to admit that I could never have imagined that I would have been happy to be infected with a money-eating virus, but that's exactly what happened - and it makes me happy ????
First of all a big thank you to all of you and to Parfumo ❤️

Now Roma should finally find his place in my "Memories Department" again, so I ordered it, was very much looking forward to it and could hardly wait to get the bottle out of the packaging radiantly.
Of course I had indulged myself in 100 ml, but before it had only been enough for 30 ml - if at all.......

Full of expectation of the beginning emotional cinema I sprayed him on and was shocked - THAT should be Roma ?

I don't want to try to analyse single scents or their composition here - others can do that better here, but I want to try to give my personal impression of the difference between the original and the present Roma :

I knew Roma as a scent, which was very warm and cuddly despite a dimmed citrus note, for me it always smelled like a still warm lemon cake, which remained also in the further process like that and loosely 10 - 12 hours clearly perceptible remained, why it could be dosed economically It was characteristic and so different from all the others that I always recognized it immediately.

What I now notice in the top note smells as if I was standing in a fir forest (?) next to a car with a running engine (?) and squeezing out a lemon - not unpleasant, but similar to the "real" Roma as they are ballet shoes for mountaineers.
After about 2 hours the scent is only very close and I smell almost only vanilla and lemon - arbitrary, nice, maybe even quite nice, just no Roma anymore.

Also a renewed test led unfortunately to no other result, I am infinitely sad and disappointed and can only hope that the memories of the humans, who carried this smell once, do not fade sometime exactly as Roma............
Eternal Roma
My acquaintance with Roma began in the 90s with a shower gel, a gift from my mother-in-law. The shower gel had the same column shape as the scent and immediately inspired me. I really had to try this scent. The first encounter was rather sobering for me, the scent had too much buzz for me at first. He still wouldn't let go of me, though.

Fishy with the shower gel, I sniffed my way up to him and gradually made friends with his intensity until Roma finally moved in with me. At that time I had learned to appreciate its intensity and its splendour. We had breaks in our friendship from time to time, but I always came back to him.

Unfortunately, he hasn't been what he used to be for a long time. However, I can still feel what my first encounter with him was like: very intense and very beautiful.

Even today I recognize the currant and the bergamot at the beginning, and immediately afterwards the jasmine and the rose. And then the heavyweights come around the corner. Unfortunately then everything becomes quite fast a mixture, which is nevertheless quite far away from the old Roma. Unfortunately, Roma, like so many others, have suffered a great deal from the usual modernisation measures, even though the individual components are still rudimentary.

Nevertheless, he still lives with me now and will remain so in the future, just so that I can sniff the bottle from time to time and remember the beginnings of our relationship. And when I want to dive deep into the past, he opens the doors for me. And if one day I'll find another original, it won't leave my place anymore!
Ttfortwo
There used to be more tinsel (a short comment)
Of course, I wore Roma when Roma were Roma. A fragrance buzz with a beguiling classic floriental start.

It doesn't exist anymore in the current version, but: I also like the current top note very much, it has a delicate and slightly bitter individuality (currant) and clearly bergamot, beautiful and promising. Unfortunately, the best is already through, I think, because the fragrance is softly souped out into a pitiful caricature of a fragrance oriental, so dimmed and castrated that there is not much left except a warmlichblümerantvanilligen memory of the original.

Look for the original if you want to know how a really beautiful Florientale used to smell.
Autumn comes to Rome
After warm days and warm summer nights it is now getting cooler in Rome. Something sentimental is in the air. But the hustle and bustle in the streets brings me to other thoughts. Thoughtfully I sit at the edge of the Trevi fountain. I watch the old Tritons try to tame the horses. It seems difficult for you to succeed. And somehow I don't even want them to succeed.
A fragrance comes to my mind, silky soft, strong spicy and sweet at the same time. But also a bit cool. Bergamot, lily of the valley and a hint of jasmine lie gently on a heavy, tart base of patchouli and myrrh. Something minty rises into my nose and pierces it. But it could also be the Patchouli. I'm pretty sensitive about that. I don't like it very much. But the composition has something very fascinating. Attractive and repulsive at the same time. Like the arrival of autumn in the city. Soon, however, the smell becomes too pungent and cool for me. Too bad, already the base steps strongly into the foreground and expels everything silky gentle. There's still a little sweetness left. But the pungent bitter smell still haunts me for many hours.
It's starting to rain...

A very interesting fragrance, although I wouldn't wear it either.
Without Patchouli he would get one more star from me.

However, the body lotion contains less patchouli and more bergamot. I clearly prefer it.

Jazzy76Jazzy76 4 years ago
Ancient and modern at the same time: balsamic base notes marry fresh mint and white flowers with a result as unique as the "Eternal city"

by Zora
Alles steht in den Startlöchern, wartet nur auf Sonne und Wärme, genau, wie ich.
by Gandix
Euch allen einen guten Rutsch in ein tolles neues Jahr!
by Pistazieneis
by Arlufkin
by IndianSummer
by IndianSummer

Popular Laura Biagiotti

Venezia (1992) (Eau de Toilette) by Laura Biagiotti Roma Uomo (Eau de Toilette) by Laura Biagiotti Sotto Voce by Laura Biagiotti Laura (Eau de Parfum) by Laura Biagiotti Mistero di Roma Donna by Laura Biagiotti Biagiotti Uomo (Eau de Toilette) by Laura Biagiotti Fiori Bianchi (Eau de Toilette) by Laura Biagiotti Tempore Donna by Laura Biagiotti Romamor Uomo by Laura Biagiotti Venezia (1992) (Eau de Parfum) by Laura Biagiotti Essenza di Roma by Laura Biagiotti Venezia Pastello by Laura Biagiotti Venezia (2012) (Eau de Toilette) by Laura Biagiotti Essenza di Roma Uomo (Eau de Toilette) by Laura Biagiotti Venezia Uomo (Eau de Toilette) by Laura Biagiotti Aqua di Roma Uomo (Eau de Toilette) by Laura Biagiotti Forever by Laura Biagiotti Venezia (2011) (Eau de Parfum) by Laura Biagiotti Lovely Laura by Laura Biagiotti Roma (Eau de Toilette Rosa) by Laura Biagiotti